“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75761 Nov 8, 2012
I've found a newfound enjoyment in dining alone. I'm starving and can't decide where to go. Still sticking to the low-carb thing, so that limits my options.

Strongly considering Outback. I love their salads. And their steaks, covered in blue cheese.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75762 Nov 8, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I've found a newfound enjoyment in dining alone. I'm starving and can't decide where to go. Still sticking to the low-carb thing, so that limits my options.

Strongly considering Outback. I love their salads. And their steaks, covered in blue cheese.
Oh my god, that sounds so good! I just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#75763 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very big generalization. There are many folks who actually prefer to date folks outside of their ethnicity. I also would not be more likely to vote for someone who is a white male than someone who is not. Although, now that it seems everyone else in the world does this, maybe I should only vote for white men and be proud of it.
Warning: Sublime length post:

It is a generalization. I did say that not all people are like this. I am saying that it is a primordial instinct and it takes work to get past the desire to surround ourselves with only our "own kind."

Not really relating it to politics, just responding to the "not human nature to be racist" comment....it really kinda is, if we define "racism" as those not like Ego, so in my case, it would mean not female, not white, not American, among other things.

I am a thoughtful (not as in thinking about other people, as in think too much about relatively obscure crap) enough person to control my own instinct to surround myself with only those like me, and I think most people are.

However, I am aware of it and in order to control it, one needs to *be* aware of it, and I don't think most people are, since it's mostly something talked about in academic, anthropological, and psychological groups and most people are too busy making a living to spend time discussing all the ins and outs of evolution and the human psyche. <shrug> I am saying only that it is instinct.

FWIW I agree with you that it's racist to vote only for those you identify with on a superficial level rather than based on their individual character, accomplishments, etc., but I wasn't really speaking to that, just looking at WHY some (probably most really) people would do that...even though they don't realize they are doing it.

I also think that most people don't want to be that shallow, and if they realize they are doing it, allowing this visceral reaction to control their choices, they would work at controlling it.

So, in conclusion, it is an innate thing. We are capable of controlling it. Most of us don't really realize that we *are* doing it when we do it because it is such a part of who we are as a species, ergo we tend to make choices (like voting for the black guy or they white guy or the woman or the man) instinctively, even though we would argue that we don't.

Intellectually we don't want to be like that because we know that character is more important than skin color. Most of us would, if we were aware of it, actively try to control that kind of knee jerk response (IMO). Some of us wouldn't.

I agree with you that the guy on NPR is racist and that it's a stupid way to make a decision. This is not directed at you. My original comment was scientific not political. <shrug>

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75764 Nov 8, 2012
I'd say MAYBE the guy's racist, if he never voted for a white man (which meant, he just didn't vote) based on race. But he probably has voted for white guys all this time, but once he got a black candidate, he was all over that.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75765 Nov 8, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my god, that sounds so good! I just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again
Couldn't go. 2:00 meeting got moved up to 1:00. Probably better that way, I didn't really need to spend $30 on lunch.

I recently discovered that you can order them online and then pick up without leaving the car. They will be getting a lot more of my money that way.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#75766 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The average person has 67 species (!) living in his belly button.
and now, somethign completely different.... ;-)

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75767 Nov 8, 2012
Republicans tried to write off Obama's '08 victory as a 'social experiment' and a 'novelty'. Like, "OK, we tried a black guy. Happy now? It didn't work out. Now we must go back to old, monied, White men."

The problem was they were saying that on election night in '08 and that was too soon.

Yep, it was a big deal to have the first black president. Tammy Baldwin being a gay woman is a big deal too. Someday, it won't matter that a candidate is black, gay, Latino, female or all of the above. It shouldn't matter now but, it does and it matters now because of the people who declare it to be THE factor in why they lost an election. They are welcome to run such candidates. That they don't is very telling.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#75768 Nov 8, 2012
Anyone find this ad offensive?
I think people are just going thu life trying to manufacture reasons to be offended.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-l...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75769 Nov 8, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Warning: Sublime length post:
It is a generalization. I did say that not all people are like this. I am saying that it is a primordial instinct and it takes work to get past the desire to surround ourselves with only our "own kind."
Not really relating it to politics, just responding to the "not human nature to be racist" comment....it really kinda is, if we define "racism" as those not like Ego, so in my case, it would mean not female, not white, not American, among other things.
I am a thoughtful (not as in thinking about other people, as in think too much about relatively obscure crap) enough person to control my own instinct to surround myself with only those like me, and I think most people are.
However, I am aware of it and in order to control it, one needs to *be* aware of it, and I don't think most people are, since it's mostly something talked about in academic, anthropological, and psychological groups and most people are too busy making a living to spend time discussing all the ins and outs of evolution and the human psyche. <shrug> I am saying only that it is instinct.
FWIW I agree with you that it's racist to vote only for those you identify with on a superficial level rather than based on their individual character, accomplishments, etc., but I wasn't really speaking to that, just looking at WHY some (probably most really) people would do that...even though they don't realize they are doing it.
I also think that most people don't want to be that shallow, and if they realize they are doing it, allowing this visceral reaction to control their choices, they would work at controlling it.
So, in conclusion, it is an innate thing. We are capable of controlling it. Most of us don't really realize that we *are* doing it when we do it because it is such a part of who we are as a species, ergo we tend to make choices (like voting for the black guy or they white guy or the woman or the man) instinctively, even though we would argue that we don't.
Intellectually we don't want to be like that because we know that character is more important than skin color. Most of us would, if we were aware of it, actively try to control that kind of knee jerk response (IMO). Some of us wouldn't.
I agree with you that the guy on NPR is racist and that it's a stupid way to make a decision. This is not directed at you. My original comment was scientific not political. <shrug>
The thing is the guy on NPR wasnít a bad guy. Neither was the reporter. The whole point of the story was about how there were more racial overtones in this election against Obama, than there would be if he were white. I actually agreed with that. In doing so, however, they inadvertently Ö and I donít think they even realized they were doing it Ö were showing race favoritism themselves.

Iíve actually heard similar things to what you have said, but ďIím aware of it and in order to control it, one needs to *be* aware of it,Ē is just completely foreign to me. I think this must be fear based. I don't have to deal with that. I'm pretty confident if push comes to shove, I'm going to be the one doing the shoving.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75770 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'd say MAYBE the guy's racist, if he never voted for a white man (which meant, he just didn't vote) based on race. But he probably has voted for white guys all this time, but once he got a black candidate, he was all over that.
I don't know if it is racism and I don't think the guy is the equivalent to a black KKK member, but it's f'd up on a certain level and rubs me the wrong way. I would like to think if I were running for election and running against a black person that few blacks would vote for me just because I'm white.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#75771 Nov 8, 2012
See! See what all that book lernin done ta ya!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Warning: Sublime length post:
<shrug>

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75772 Nov 8, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Anyone find this ad offensive?
I think people are just going thu life trying to manufacture reasons to be offended.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-l...
I can't imagine being offended by that. I think it's funny.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75773 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine being offended by that. I think it's funny.
AND I'm a 6 or 7. So it's making fun of ME and I don't care. Some women need to lighten the hell up.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75774 Nov 8, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Anyone find this ad offensive?
I think people are just going thu life trying to manufacture reasons to be offended.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-l...
I can't believe that idea made it off the scrap piece of paper it was drawn on, much less into an actual ad. I totally agree with the writer of the article. This is just wrong.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#75775 Nov 8, 2012
And Angela vs Jess...GO!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#75776 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine being offended by that. I think it's funny.
Co-worker had best response. Said the ad was not offensive. It was stupid. Said he would rather go out to attempt to pick up sixes and sevens that watch a dumb game. Upon further review, I agree. Unless we're into the playoffs.:)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75777 Nov 8, 2012
I didn't think it was offensive or funny. I'll moderate the fight!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75778 Nov 8, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Co-worker had best response. Said the ad was not offensive. It was stupid. Said he would rather go out to attempt to pick up sixes and sevens that watch a dumb game. Upon further review, I agree. Unless we're into the playoffs.:)
Heh. Your coworker makes sense.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75779 Nov 8, 2012
jess shouldn't be bothered. She's not a 6 or 7!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75780 Nov 8, 2012
Jess: My boss jus said that she read the entire St. Paul sunday newspaper and there wasn't a single mention of the hurricane or how NY/NJ were doing -- she said she went through the entire paper twice, looking for coverage, and found NOTHING.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 12 min Mandela 68,566
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 27 min KiMare 50,064
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 27 min RealDave 1,115,622
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 56 min Earthling-1 47,070
Minimum Wage and Unemployment Model 5 hr Goh 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 6 hr Top of the Heap 4,054
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 hr WelbyMD 178,617
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]