“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#75740 Nov 8, 2012
People who live on the beach or in flood prone area's need to be cognizant of the fact that storms can ruin them, no matter where that beach or flood plain is.

I have empathy but storms wash away beaches and anything on them, it is a fact. The people inland knew a major storm was coming and did not prepare, again, I feel your pain, but you should have prepared. The idiots in NY were lining up for gas, and waited for hours for a few gallons, but if they had driven north 90 miles they could have had more gas then they knew what to do with.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Without diminishiung the impact, FL gets a lot of hurricane hits and expects to be hit occasionally. Same with teh Gulf Coast.
New York/NJ does not

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75741 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me if I don't get excited or take pride in knowing some dead people who had junk like mine and pigmented skin like mine ruled this country.
The entire notion that one would place primacy on shared physical attributes over individual accomplishments is indicative of an imbecile.
IDK, Sub. Since 1870 when blacks were given their special voting rights, they always supported white presidential candidates, often to the tune of 100%. Pretty narrow-minded of them, I guess. Then, in '08, they turned their backs on the white candidate and voted for one of their own. Women may do the same thing in '16 with a possible run by Hillary Clinton. Hard to figure...
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75742 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now that this is settled, I guess white men have permission to vote excursively for white men as a sign of solidarity.
Didn't they?

“Happy Halloween”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75743 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Should we ever meet again and you ply me with liquor
Are you sure you could control yourself?:P
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#75744 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, you saw the market yesterday? Friggin 5th horseman of teh Apocalypse
Europe.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75745 Nov 8, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>IDK, Sub. Since 1870 when blacks were given their special voting rights, they always supported white presidential candidates, often to the tune of 100%. Pretty narrow-minded of them, I guess. Then, in '08, they turned their backs on the white candidate and voted for one of their own. Women may do the same thing in '16 with a possible run by Hillary Clinton. Hard to figure...
One of their own ... you mean the guy who is half white and who was raised almost exclusively by white people in Kansas?

It's also not that they voted for "one of their own" as you say, but why. Just like I'm not not automatically racist for voting for a white guy over a black guy, but am racist if I voted for the white guy cause he's white like me and the other guy isn't. That's racism, any way you slice it. It's really no different than hiring a white person because he's white, over a black person.

It's also dumb to get excited over a candidate because hey, she has a vagina, just like you (not you specifically ... well maybe J/K)!!! Hey, our parts match ... I'm gonna vote for you. That is something I would expect from a kindergartner.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#75746 Nov 8, 2012
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>People who live on the beach or in flood prone area's need to be cognizant of the fact that storms can ruin them, no matter where that beach or flood plain is.

I have empathy but storms wash away beaches and anything on them, it is a fact. The people inland knew a major storm was coming and did not prepare, again, I feel your pain, but you should have prepared. The idiots in NY were lining up for gas, and waited for hours for a few gallons, but if they had driven north 90 miles they could have had more gas then they knew what to do with.
If a natural disaster wipes out entire towns, especially multiple towns in one state, I will do something (even if all I can do is make a small donation) to help the recovery effort. I may be upset with the people who ignored the mandatory evacuation warnings, but I still believe that we are a stronger country when we come together to help each other in times of need.

As for driving 90 miles to get gas, the roads are not all safe and you would waste 90 miles worth of gas driving home. The point is to have as many gallons of gas in your car as possible because they did warn us about this nor'easter. They have been letting us fill our tanks and the lines are gone now. The roads are still bad, though. A lot of trees and wires came down last night.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75747 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't they?
Who is they? Are we still talking about the dead white people who have junk like me and who used to run this country? If we are, do two wrongs make a right?

Wouldn't you say it reflects poorly upon me if you were running for office and I refused to vote for you, primarily because you are woman and your opponent is a man like me? Wouldn't I be labeled all sorts of names by folks?

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75748 Nov 8, 2012
RACE wrote:
People who live on the beach or in flood prone area's need to be cognizant of the fact that storms can ruin them, no matter where that beach or flood plain is.
<quoted text>
That's what I don't get. They told folks to get out. Why don't folks just drive a few hours away and stay at a hotel or with friends?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75749 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is they? Are we still talking about the dead white people who have junk like me and who used to run this country? If we are, do two wrongs make a right?
Wouldn't you say it reflects poorly upon me if you were running for office and I refused to vote for you, primarily because you are woman and your opponent is a man like me? Wouldn't I be labeled all sorts of names by folks?
Lots of people vote based on externals esepcially when they don't know or are not confident of their knowledge of teh issues and teh candidates.

In Cook County, people running for office, especially judge have changed their name to include an Irish name because Irishmen and Jewish names are elected

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#75750 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I don't get. They told folks to get out. Why don't folks just drive a few hours away and stay at a hotel or with friends?
People in some shore towns were told to get out. Inland towns weren't evacuated, but many had extensive damage due to wind or rivers overflowing their banks and still don't have power. We have houses in our town that were shifted off their foundation and are no longer habitable (I live in Woodbridge Township). The town of Sayreville was completely destroyed. Look on a map. No reason to think that we would have experienced such damage. We are not shore towns.

Also, we have had hurricanes before. This was beyond anything that people had experienced around here. Even if people evacuated, what do they do now that they have no homes to go back to? They are living in shelters and have no possessions. Insurance isn't going to replace everything.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#75751 Nov 8, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not human nature to be racist.
Anthropologically speaking, racism is kind of inherent. Yes, no one is born with prejudice per se, however we innately prefer to be with those who are most like us. Not everyone, but the majority. It's like a chimpanzee food call...something that can not be helped, it's instinctive. It has to do with danger of the "other" who is not like us.

If you think of it like concentric rings, we as ego are the center then it's our immediate family circling us, then extended family, then friends, acquaintances, coworkers, etc., then the general public, then (in my case) Washitonians, then Americans, then North Americans, then Western Hemispher-ers, and so on, eventually Earthlings...Solar system...galaxy....and on and on. The closer to, and more like Ego, the more the comfort level and the more we will cheer on "X" because he/she is like us.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75752 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Lots of people vote based on externals esepcially when they don't know or are not confident of their knowledge of teh issues and teh candidates.
In Cook County, people running for office, especially judge have changed their name to include an Irish name because Irishmen and Jewish names are elected
Ha! I specifically chose Irish names to NOT be retained.

I'm fed up with Daley's but now I get to work with one. A nephew was elected to the MWRD board.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#75753 Nov 8, 2012
Please, dont think me heartless. I helped many of my neighbors, but I dont stuff money into nameless boxes or a firemans boot. Too much corruption. I give to the red cross.

After wilma I drove to Sebring (150 miles). My truck gets 17 on the hwy so that was 8 gallons going up. bought food (2 coolers worth), gas(for the truck) and 70 gallons of gas for my generator. Then on the way back stopped at a national guard setup and got MRE's, ice and blue tarps (huge ones). So the net result is that I used 8 gallons of gas (the return trip) to acquire 70 gallons of fuel and supplies. Any my truck (26 gal) still had 18 gallons of fuel too. Ok, probably less, I was loaded down.

Meanwhile back in broward, people waited all day in lines to get 10 gallons of gas (it was rationed). They did not plan or prepare and I had no desire to help them.
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
If a natural disaster wipes out entire towns, especially multiple towns in one state, I will do something (even if all I can do is make a small donation) to help the recovery effort. I may be upset with the people who ignored the mandatory evacuation warnings, but I still believe that we are a stronger country when we come together to help each other in times of need.
As for driving 90 miles to get gas, the roads are not all safe and you would waste 90 miles worth of gas driving home. The point is to have as many gallons of gas in your car as possible because they did warn us about this nor'easter. They have been letting us fill our tanks and the lines are gone now. The roads are still bad, though. A lot of trees and wires came down last night.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75754 Nov 8, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthropologically speaking, racism is kind of inherent. Yes, no one is born with prejudice per se, however we innately prefer to be with those who are most like us. Not everyone, but the majority. It's like a chimpanzee food call...something that can not be helped, it's instinctive. It has to do with danger of the "other" who is not like us.
If you think of it like concentric rings, we as ego are the center then it's our immediate family circling us, then extended family, then friends, acquaintances, coworkers, etc., then the general public, then (in my case) Washitonians, then Americans, then North Americans, then Western Hemispher-ers, and so on, eventually Earthlings...Solar system...galaxy....and on and on. The closer to, and more like Ego, the more the comfort level and the more we will cheer on "X" because he/she is like us.
That's a very big generalization. There are many folks who actually prefer to date folks outside of their ethnicity. I also would not be more likely to vote for someone who is a white male than someone who is not. Although, now that it seems everyone else in the world does this, maybe I should only vote for white men and be proud of it.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75755 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Lots of people vote based on externals esepcially when they don't know or are not confident of their knowledge of teh issues and teh candidates.
So it's perfectly okay if I don't vote for women, just cause they are women? This is who I should aspire to be?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75756 Nov 8, 2012
I think the voting along gender/race/other lines happens more when it's a new thing -- like blacks voting for Obama because he's one of them. And I'm sure there was plenty of that this week. but the novelty is fading. Kind of like, once we get a woman in the white house, a couple of terms later, gender won't be a big deal, either.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#75757 Nov 8, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
People in some shore towns were told to get out. Inland towns weren't evacuated, but many had extensive damage due to wind or rivers overflowing their banks and still don't have power. We have houses in our town that were shifted off their foundation and are no longer habitable (I live in Woodbridge Township). The town of Sayreville was completely destroyed. Look on a map. No reason to think that we would have experienced such damage. We are not shore towns.
Also, we have had hurricanes before. This was beyond anything that people had experienced around here. Even if people evacuated, what do they do now that they have no homes to go back to? They are living in shelters and have no possessions. Insurance isn't going to replace everything.
It sounds like they didn't do a very good job of forecasting the severity, then.

Location hidden

#75758 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Every group likes to see one of its own make it to the top. Catholics were giddy when Al Smith ran and giddier when Kennedy won. The Irish too. It is not bigotry at that point, it is solidarity. I see a difference
I see it as "solidarity" as well.

Location hidden

#75760 Nov 8, 2012
PEllen wrote:
Here in MN, women running for office will insert their birth name if it's Scandinavian. "Marie Skaarsgaard Johnson." They want voters to know they're Scandinavian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,678
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr King Clutch 1,129,383
With apologies to "THE BEACH BOYS"! 2 hr Glen Fry 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr Cowobunga 50,775
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr J RULES 70,156
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr IBdaMann 47,596
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 7 hr stupid amerikan 139

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 3:39AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]