Comments
74,741 - 74,760 of 97,517 Comments Last updated 18 min ago

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75715
Nov 8, 2012
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, the NE is getting minimal coverage and they downplayed the Noreaster.
I think its a matter of a combination of perception and bias. The Ticked Off column in my paper had someone complaining about all the coverage NY is getting. His perception is that a hurricane going to Florida does not get the same coverage.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75716
Nov 8, 2012
 
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a guy who just moved here this year from New Orleans. His FB status this morning is "Hey Louisiana friends - remember when we had that snowstorm a week after Katrina? Me neither."
If someone from NO is comparing Sandy to Katrina, then I'm not going to contradict him.
Wow. That's saying something.

I'm flying to NJ this afternoon for a conference tomorrow. I've started the day not knowing if my flight was cancelled, getting over to the vet to drop off my dogs, dealing with them taking forever, stressing about the extra traffic (there's a major road closure that has effed us (everyone at work) in the ass every day since Tuesday), getting a SPEEDING TICKET, finally getting to work only to discover that McDonald's screwed up my coffee order.

Okay, I feel better.

I know all of this is small potatoes compared to what you're going through, Jess, and all the people up there. Luckily my parents got their power back last Sunday morning (after 6 nights without it) but there's a lot of chaos and I'm definitely blessed compared to many, many people. Just venting....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75717
Nov 8, 2012
 
Jess in NJ wrote:
NJ and the rest of the northeast just got hit with a nor'easter last night. So many people here were already without power, many more lost it again, people are living in shelters and this is going to be more than some people can bear. Just heard that FEMA closed their emergency centers in the tri-state area.
Here is a link to places that are accepting donations. Please pass it on. I don't know what the news is like in the rest of the country, but the situation is really overwhelming here and we are learning more about communities that were hard hit and need assistance getting back on their feet.
http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29221/contentde...
I'll be copy and pasting this into facebook in a second.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75718
Nov 8, 2012
 
The average person has 67 species (!) living in his belly button.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75719
Nov 8, 2012
 

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75720
Nov 8, 2012
 
Exactly, Wilma totaled broward county, I was without power for 14 days, but the news never left the state. The biggest mention was the tourists all talking about the blue tarps on the houses that they say when they flew in or out.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I think its a matter of a combination of perception and bias. The Ticked Off column in my paper had someone complaining about all the coverage NY is getting. His perception is that a hurricane going to Florida does not get the same coverage.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75721
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
*typo. Sorry. chip LOST last night, pretty soundly, simply because he's a Republican, beaten by a bad democrat. People will vote party lines, along racial lines, gender lines, etc. It's just how people are when they don't think they have any other thing in common with candidates.
I was listening to NPR on the way home last night and they had a story about how important Barack Obama was to the black community and how they were on pins and needles during election night. Then they interviewed this black guy who went on to say he thinks there were a lot of racial overtones in the election and he thinks we still have a long way to go in terms of race relations.

I thought to myself, obviously, we have a long way to go when folks, whether they be black or white are voting for one guy over another simply because they share the same skin color. It's okay for black folks to rally around a candidate primarily because he's black, but if you you are white and you do that you are evil and a KKK member. I don't even think the guy or the reporter could see the hypocrisy of the whole story.

I personally think voting for someone because of the color of their skin betrays ones ignorance and bigotry, black or white.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75722
Nov 8, 2012
 
The TV said Obama is doing such a wonderful job dealing with Sandy. I do not believe people are still having problems.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75723
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

1

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was listening to NPR on the way home last night and they had a story about how important Barack Obama was to the black community and how they were on pins and needles during election night. Then they interviewed this black guy who went on to say he thinks there were a lot of racial overtones in the election and he thinks we still have a long way to go in terms of race relations.
I thought to myself, obviously, we have a long way to go when folks, whether they be black or white are voting for one guy over another simply because they share the same skin color. It's okay for black folks to rally around a candidate primarily because he's black, but if you you are white and you do that you are evil and a KKK member. I don't even think the guy or the reporter could see the hypocrisy of the whole story.
I personally think voting for someone because of the color of their skin betrays ones ignorance and bigotry, black or white.
says the person whose gender and race have controlled this country since its inception.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75724
Nov 8, 2012
 
IOW, I totally understand Minority #1 voting for Minority Guy #2 whom they feel represents them -- whether it's based on gender, race, or wahtever. Republican women supported HIllary Clinton's presidential aspirations--women who would not vote for Obama.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75725
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was listening to NPR on the way home last night and they had a story about how important Barack Obama was to the black community and how they were on pins and needles during election night. Then they interviewed this black guy who went on to say he thinks there were a lot of racial overtones in the election and he thinks we still have a long way to go in terms of race relations.
I thought to myself, obviously, we have a long way to go when folks, whether they be black or white are voting for one guy over another simply because they share the same skin color. It's okay for black folks to rally around a candidate primarily because he's black, but if you you are white and you do that you are evil and a KKK member. I don't even think the guy or the reporter could see the hypocrisy of the whole story.
I personally think voting for someone because of the color of their skin betrays ones ignorance and bigotry, black or white.
While I do agree with this...how many Mormons *didn't* vote for Romney? I'm guessing not many. Or how many white people would *never* vote for a black (biracial, whatever) man. I think, unfortunately, it's human nature to side with the one you most identify with, stupid, superficial reason or not. Not disagreeing, just saying it's not just a 'black thing'.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75726
Nov 8, 2012
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
While I do agree with this...how many Mormons *didn't* vote for Romney? I'm guessing not many. Or how many white people would *never* vote for a black (biracial, whatever) man. I think, unfortunately, it's human nature to side with the one you most identify with, stupid, superficial reason or not. Not disagreeing, just saying it's not just a 'black thing'.
Republican Catholics voted for Kennedy, our first (and only) Catholic president.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75727
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
says the person whose gender and race have controlled this country since its inception.
Excuse me if I don't get excited or take pride in knowing some dead people who had junk like mine and pigmented skin like mine ruled this country.

The entire notion that one would place primacy on shared physical attributes over individual accomplishments is indicative of an imbecile.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75728
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me if I don't get excited or take pride in knowing some dead people who had junk like mine and pigmented skin like mine ruled this country.
The entire notion that one would place primacy on shared physical attributes over individual accomplishments is indicative of an imbecile.
I disagree. It's *human nature* and it takes a while to get past that stuff. AS in, many generations. Our country proves it.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75729
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

RACE wrote:
Exactly, Wilma totaled broward county, I was without power for 14 days, but the news never left the state. The biggest mention was the tourists all talking about the blue tarps on the houses that they say when they flew in or out.
<quoted text>
Without diminishiung the impact, FL gets a lot of hurricane hits and expects to be hit occasionally. Same with teh Gulf Coast.

New York/NJ does not
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75730
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was listening to NPR on the way home last night and they had a story about how important Barack Obama was to the black community and how they were on pins and needles during election night. Then they interviewed this black guy who went on to say he thinks there were a lot of racial overtones in the election and he thinks we still have a long way to go in terms of race relations.
I thought to myself, obviously, we have a long way to go when folks, whether they be black or white are voting for one guy over another simply because they share the same skin color. It's okay for black folks to rally around a candidate primarily because he's black, but if you you are white and you do that you are evil and a KKK member. I don't even think the guy or the reporter could see the hypocrisy of the whole story.
I personally think voting for someone because of the color of their skin betrays ones ignorance and bigotry, black or white.
Every group likes to see one of its own make it to the top. Catholics were giddy when Al Smith ran and giddier when Kennedy won. The Irish too. It is not bigotry at that point, it is solidarity. I see a difference

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75731
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Seriously...political chat spot.

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TSU102F2IP...

Just sayin'...yanno, if anyone's interested.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75732
Nov 8, 2012
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
While I do agree with this...how many Mormons *didn't* vote for Romney? I'm guessing not many. Or how many white people would *never* vote for a black (biracial, whatever) man. I think, unfortunately, it's human nature to side with the one you most identify with, stupid, superficial reason or not. Not disagreeing, just saying it's not just a 'black thing'.
Oh, I know very well its not just a black thing. I've seen some very disgusting thigns said about the President and I've seen folks take cheap shots at his race. That doesn't play well we me either. To me it just demonstrates ignorance. I'm certainly not giving white folks a pass.

I would like to see the day when we all move past race and can truly be color blind. That will never happen when racism by one group, even if they happen to be minorities, is tolerated and celebrated as a good thing.

I just found that story on NPR to be insulting and hypocritical on a fundamental level. Here is some guy glowing simply cause a guy who has his same color of skin was elected, while at the same time insisting that folks who would not vote for him because they have a different color of skin indicates that we have a long way to go on race relations. The people he complains of are no different than him!

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75733
Nov 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. It's *human nature* and it takes a while to get past that stuff. AS in, many generations. Our country proves it.
It's not human nature to be racist.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75734
Nov 8, 2012
 
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done my share of campaigning. Know what? NONE OF MY PEOPLE WON! You know the problem with democracy? If a majority of the people are stupid, DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK. Jesse Jackson Jr has been ABSENT for the last six moths, he won overwhelmingly! He should never have been on the ballot! Who's running this thing?!
State democrats have raised our taxes, banned smoking, initiated backseat seatbelt laws, allowed illegals to go to school for free while citizens have to pay for education, run our state into the ground financially, denied us our second amendment rights, AND THE IDIOT VOTERS IN THIS STATE STILL, STILL AFTER ALL THAT, STILL VOTED FOR THEM TO KEEP THE SENATE!!! Thankfully, we won the house, and hopefully we'll win the governorship, but that just goes to show you how STUPID democrat voters are!
You can't educate people like that. You can't reason with them and make them understand, nothing you do can do any good. Our only chance is to take back the governorship and turn this state red again, that's gonna be a tough order, though. I'm all for letting Cook, McHenry, and Lake counties succeed from the rest of Illinios and let them form their own state. Let's get THAT on the ballot in two years.
Do you support a woman's right to choose?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,079,318
Amy 7-24 8 min squishymama 17
Abby 7-24 14 min Mister Tonka 13
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 18 min Uzi 67,901
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,520
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 45 min Terry rigsby 48,878
Woman Posts Selfie Of Stolen Dress To Facebook;... 1 hr Tina 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••