Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
68 billion in additional revenue is nothing when you are racking up 1000+ billion in debt annually. It doesn't magically put us on anything close to a sustainable course. It also does nothing to avoid the big uptick ten years down the road on Geithner's chart:
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/16/geithne...
Geithner even admitted Obama has no solution to it and admitted that they aren't even attempting to find a solution to it. His solution is to continue to contribute to the problem. You don't have to like Romney to admit that is crap leadership.
Well, we'll never know what Rmoney's plan was because we had to elect him to find out. I will always suspect that it was loading up lesser performing states like Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi with debt and them selling them to the Chinese but, we'll never know.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".
Question to the peanut gallery.
How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?
I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price
Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".
I have to say I'm with you. I don't look where things are made, really. Except for dog treats. China dog treats are deadly, I guess. For the doggies.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
I acknowedge your disagreements. A lot of people share them. My point is that in addition to griping, you ( and everyone esle here) should DO something. Stuff envelopes. Man a phone bank. Fix teh computer in teh Republican county office. Give money if you have extra. Reserach a position, see how other states/counties have done it and write a term paper then send it to your Rep as a suggestion. Should I keep going?
Essentially, earn your griping rights
I've done my share of campaigning. Know what? NONE OF MY PEOPLE WON! You know the problem with democracy? If a majority of the people are stupid, DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK. Jesse Jackson Jr has been ABSENT for the last six moths, he won overwhelmingly! He should never have been on the ballot! Who's running this thing?!

State democrats have raised our taxes, banned smoking, initiated backseat seatbelt laws, allowed illegals to go to school for free while citizens have to pay for education, run our state into the ground financially, denied us our second amendment rights, AND THE IDIOT VOTERS IN THIS STATE STILL, STILL AFTER ALL THAT, STILL VOTED FOR THEM TO KEEP THE SENATE!!! Thankfully, we won the house, and hopefully we'll win the governorship, but that just goes to show you how STUPID democrat voters are!

You can't educate people like that. You can't reason with them and make them understand, nothing you do can do any good. Our only chance is to take back the governorship and turn this state red again, that's gonna be a tough order, though. I'm all for letting Cook, McHenry, and Lake counties succeed from the rest of Illinios and let them form their own state. Let's get THAT on the ballot in two years.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done my share of campaigning. Know what? NONE OF MY PEOPLE WON! You know the problem with democracy? If a majority of the people are stupid, DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK. Jesse Jackson Jr has been ABSENT for the last six moths, he won overwhelmingly! He should never have been on the ballot! Who's running this thing?!
State democrats have raised our taxes, banned smoking, initiated backseat seatbelt laws, allowed illegals to go to school for free while citizens have to pay for education, run our state into the ground financially, denied us our second amendment rights, AND THE IDIOT VOTERS IN THIS STATE STILL, STILL AFTER ALL THAT, STILL VOTED FOR THEM TO KEEP THE SENATE!!! Thankfully, we won the house, and hopefully we'll win the governorship, but that just goes to show you how STUPID democrat voters are!
You can't educate people like that. You can't reason with them and make them understand, nothing you do can do any good. Our only chance is to take back the governorship and turn this state red again, that's gonna be a tough order, though. I'm all for letting Cook, McHenry, and Lake counties succeed from the rest of Illinios and let them form their own state. Let's get THAT on the ballot in two years.
Just wondering where you're going to get the money, then, to run the state. I'm pretty sure Cook County, while it probably takes up a lot of funds, probably pays the most. I'll have to google that.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering where you're going to get the money, then, to run the state. I'm pretty sure Cook County, while it probably takes up a lot of funds, probably pays the most. I'll have to google that.
Illinois brings in a LOT of money. We have a lot of industry, manufacturing, farming, railways, pipelines, the list goes on.

The state of Illinois is in the red and getting worse despite toll roads and higher taxes and everything else.

Why?

Where is all our money going?

The problem is, you've got people on the government dole through welfare, food stamps (and many of them need it, and they're working hard and doing their best, I'm not opposed to safety net programs as "some" (one?) have suggested.) And you've got the people in comfy government jobs. They will NEVER change their vote as long as they have all that.

The wisest thing to do is give them their own state, then. Why did we end up with "North" Dakota? "South" Carolina? "West" Virginia?

I say we add a 51st state. North Illinois. We'll call it Daleyblagobama.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

I think edog would be happier moving to a red town in a red county in a red state.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Banning smoking is not bad. You can still do it certain places.
Backseat seatbelts are not bad. Keeps people from getting injured.
I assume the illegals who are getting free education are teh ones not paying taxes. Which 2nd amendment right have you been denied? Concealed carry? Get a permit and you can have any gun you like.

I agree that the district is a total idit to reelect a man who has disppared from whatever reason. Someone mentioned 12 weeks and out; 12 weeks sounds harsh but I agree that there should be some limit on how long you can take off and still keep your elecetd job.
How would you handle Kirk, though or Gabby Giffords?

No fight on IL 's finacial plight and the political lack of will to fix it.

You don't know if people can be educated unless you try. Ranting and raling does not work. You need to show them why it is in there self interest to do something.

No points for getting back the governorship. Ryan was as bad as Blago and Blago was awful. Blago at least does not have the 6 dead Willis kids on his account, Ryan does.

Did I miss anything?

My original challenge stands by the way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Good post, PE.

We had a Republican win a district two years ago, held by democrats for decades, in Minnesota's Iron Range, VERY democrat -- Italians, Finns, Swedes, and Nords, which are by culture fiscally liberal (support poor people) but socially conservative (because while being lutheran, they're also conservative about family, sex, behavior, etc.). They want everyone to behave but they feel a strong responsibility to take care of the have nots.

Chip Cravack -- I liked him. He won because his long-term democratic incumbent didn't even campaign! The guy totally took it for granted that he'd win! So Chip won, and I thought that was great. Screw that guy who just assumed he'd win. But chip won last night, beat by a not great democrat who's pretty crappy in politics (from the '70s).

But you gotta run to win. I give a LOT of weight to door knocking and personal reaching out by the person running. But it takes a lot of work, money, time, and energy. Not everyone has that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

*typo. Sorry. chip LOST last night, pretty soundly, simply because he's a Republican, beaten by a bad democrat. People will vote party lines, along racial lines, gender lines, etc. It's just how people are when they don't think they have any other thing in common with candidates.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

That's right, Red.
I call it being one-dimensional.

But yeah, that Jesse Jackson Jr. is a systematic abuser. I recognize the type.
You know, I've met a number of personalities and other random notorious figures through my work experience. I see many parallels in people.

The few real good people just won't put themselves out there politically.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Banning smoking is not bad. You can still do it certain places.
Backseat seatbelts are not bad. Keeps people from getting injured.
Glad I have the government to mandate my own safety.
PEllen wrote:
I assume the illegals who are getting free education are teh ones not paying taxes.
Wonder why we call them "illegal"?
PEllen wrote:
Which 2nd amendment right have you been denied? Concealed carry?
Whichever one says I have the right to BEAR arms. And a bear rug. And a girlfriend with bare legs.
PEllen wrote:
I agree that the district is a total idit to reelect a man who has disppared from whatever reason. Someone mentioned 12 weeks and out; 12 weeks sounds harsh but I agree that there should be some limit on how long you can take off and still keep your elecetd job.
How would you handle Kirk, though or Gabby Giffords?
Are you trying to compare the plight of Jessie Jr to Kirk or Giffords?
PEllen wrote:
No fight on IL 's finacial plight and the political lack of will to fix it.
There's your problem. Wonder why that is...?
PEllen wrote:
You don't know if people can be educated unless you try. Ranting and raling does not work. You need to show them why it is in there self interest to do something.
Tell me something I don't know, Einstein.
PEllen wrote:
No points for getting back the governorship. Ryan was as bad as Blago and Blago was awful. Blago at least does not have the 6 dead Willis kids on his account, Ryan does.
Did I miss anything?

Quite a bit, actually. At least Quinn won't have any blood on his hands by ending the death penalty!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Just talked to my mom. THey have tickets to go to some other state (Vegas, maybe?), but they're not going to count on using them (he's that bad). Poor mom. Got her permission to give Dad's clock to his godson.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Sounds like Mr. Jackson Jr. is allowing himself to be taken advantage of. Sucks to be him, except that it sounds more like an excuse to life wahtever life you want while collecting maybe $140K in base salary for two or six years. Plus excellent health coverage. Better than most of us get.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

Didn't someone make a politics thread a while back? Somewhere Dog can go and spew all this....anger...(I guess) over not getting his way last night? You know, instead of...here?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TVP9K85EK1...

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TORV0253JO...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

NJ and the rest of the northeast just got hit with a nor'easter last night. So many people here were already without power, many more lost it again, people are living in shelters and this is going to be more than some people can bear. Just heard that FEMA closed their emergency centers in the tri-state area.

Here is a link to places that are accepting donations. Please pass it on. I don't know what the news is like in the rest of the country, but the situation is really overwhelming here and we are learning more about communities that were hard hit and need assistance getting back on their feet.

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29221/contentde...

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
NJ and the rest of the northeast just got hit with a nor'easter last night. So many people here were already without power, many more lost it again, people are living in shelters and this is going to be more than some people can bear. Just heard that FEMA closed their emergency centers in the tri-state area.
Here is a link to places that are accepting donations. Please pass it on. I don't know what the news is like in the rest of the country, but the situation is really overwhelming here and we are learning more about communities that were hard hit and need assistance getting back on their feet.
Thanks, Jess. I will be thinking of you and all who have been hit so hard by mother nature. It has to be horrendous to live through it.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, Jess. I will be thinking of you and all who have been hit so hard by mother nature. It has to be horrendous to live through it.
I'll admit that I'm feeling a bit of survivor's guilt at the moment. Our cousin has our generator and electric heater, I stopped in to check on my Grandma yesterday (she is borderline agoraphobic, but my aunt convinced her last night to stay at my aunt's boyfriend's apartment), but I have both boys with me today and all of the volunteer places ask that you don't bring young children.

I'm going to bring the boys out to play in the snow later, then ask them to color for a while. Maybe tomorrow I'll pick up coloring books and crayons for the shelter in the next town. And diapers - they need lots of diapers.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
It has been a footnote in the Chicago press, but also not played up on NYTimes website either

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It has been a footnote in the Chicago press, but also not played up on NYTimes website either
I know a guy who just moved here this year from New Orleans. His FB status this morning is "Hey Louisiana friends - remember when we had that snowstorm a week after Katrina? Me neither."

If someone from NO is comparing Sandy to Katrina, then I'm not going to contradict him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,721 - 74,740 of97,508
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

162 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Terry rigsby 48,831
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 min Frijoles 68,349
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,078,136
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min wojar 174,436
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 23 min tellin it like it is 4,541
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 34 min 75 Scorpio 453
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 37 min TRD 67,845
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 22 at 2:51PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••