|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure there are.
The big thing that I hope people take away from this election is that it wasn't a landslide victory. The "majority" of the country may have chosen our president, but I put it in quotation marks because it wasn't an overwhelming majority. Both major parties have shifted to the extremes over the last few years and I believe that it is in the best interest of our nation for the leaders (starting with the president) to find a way to bring us back to the center as a whole. That is the only way to unite us.
Even when it is a landslide victory, the losers are equally deserving of having their point of view acknowledged and honored, if not necessarily implemented.That's how you avoid tyranny.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
Pellen,
It is a hollow victory when the reclusive Jesse Jackson Jr wins re-election by a landslide.
Congratulations on a job well done.
lc
I agree with you on that one. What is equally amazing is that his Congressional district includes a large chunk of far south suburbs and rural areas, not just Rainbow Push City constituents .

The Feds will proecute him and he will resign . I think they hold special elections for vacnt Rep seats rather than let a governor appoint an interim Rep.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were going to be saying "I told you so" today after Romney's victory?
BTW, the market is about 4,800 points HIGHER than when Bush left office. Spin that, please.
Who are you gonna blame when the economy cashes again? Bush or Obama?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mom.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
OKay. Put your money where your mouth is.

Your County has a strong Republican organization. Get active. Star like Jess at the grass root.
Run for office or try for a job in a congressional rep's office.
Instead of griping, take some action.
Keep your job, just add the extras to have your point of view heard.
Write letters to your congressmen outlining specifically what you think should be done and how to do it.
You are intelligent and articulate.
You are a vet with a college degree and the knowldege of a work place.
If you don't know who to call, send me a PM and I will get you a name and phone number.

I am waiting for Mr Romney to release teh specifics of teh plan he had to create jobs on Day 1 of his administration, so, for teh good of the country, more people can go to work. Ryan at least published his budget before he was chosen as a candiadte.Rather than just griping, he did something tangible

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

Ryan also gave us something full of so many inaccuracies and holes, it was easy to rip apart and show that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

maybe he was too busy making up fake times for the marathons he never actually ran.

“Topixtown”

Since: Jun 09

Why yes, I DO have a blog!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it going to crash? Think he'll go with more tax cuts for the rich? A couple of un-funded wars? deregulation of Wall Street? Home loans for EVERYONE?
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends. Are you giving credit to Obama for the resurgence?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

new Miss manners column:

DEAR MISS MANNERS,

I am married to a wonderful man who is in excellent physical shape. He works out regularly, and has the stature to show for it.

It happens quite often that we will be at a social gathering and someone will inevitably ask him "what he does" to maintain his physique. He is always happy to briefly explain that he lifts weights consistently, takes nutritional supplements in addition to a healthy diet, etc.

However, I am dismayed at how often this will be followed by some implication that he uses illegal steroids. Joking or not, this strikes me as incredibly rude and inappropriate.

Heaven forbid a man got his biceps the old fashioned way! A "that's none of your business" type response seems to us to imply that he does use steroids, so how can we counter this question without being hostile?

GENTLE READER,

"By being shocked. This is such an effective way of stopping people dead that Miss Manners wonders why it is not used more often.

At the mention of steroids, jokingly or not, he or you --or both, if you are both present-- should shoot your eyebrows up to your hairline and say, "Don't you know that's bad for you? You should never, never consider doing that!" and so on and on."

How about: "Ha, no way does he take anabolic steroids, you should see the size of his balls!"

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mom.
No, she's a republican. You guys got no one but yourselves to blame.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
OKay. Put your money where your mouth is.
Your County has a strong Republican organization.
My county is blue!

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends. Are you giving credit to Obama for the resurgence?
WHAT resurgence? The one he promised four years ago or the one he's promising four years from now?

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>How is it going to crash? Think he'll go with more tax cuts for the rich? A couple of un-funded wars? deregulation of Wall Street? Home loans for EVERYONE?
Does he have a plan for recovery yet? Besides raising taxes?
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT resurgence? The one he promised four years ago or the one he's promising four years from now?
In the market. The 4,500 points it's up since Bush left office. You know, the post you responded to?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

My coworker whose daughter cried four years ago, thinking we'd all die from terrorist attacks because Obama got elected, just told me that she would rather be in bed crying all day the rest of the week, because she fears for our safety.

My goodness.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My coworker whose daughter cried four years ago, thinking we'd all die from terrorist attacks because Obama got elected, just told me that she would rather be in bed crying all day the rest of the week, because she fears for our safety.
My goodness.
Such drama.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My goodness.
I can't imagine how it would feel to go around feeling so ill-equipped to deal with life.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Joking or not, this strikes me as incredibly rude and inappropriate.
I'd love to sit and watch her at a Chris Rock show. Or Dane Cook. Or Dice Clay. Or Old School Eddie Murphy. Or Carlos Mencia.

This woman would shit her pants at the inappropriateness in the air. If that question, when its obviously a joke, offends her so much, I'm guessing any joke higher than a kintergarten level would bother her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Such drama.
My republican HR director told me that our former company president, also a republican, told her that he'd looked back over his life and was able to determine that no election really had much effect on his life, either to the better or to the worse. His life and his options pretty much stayed the same over time.

I think that's true for most or many of us. It's the poorest and the richest who see the most benefit or loss from various political decisions.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
new Miss manners column:
DEAR MISS MANNERS,
I am married to a wonderful man who is in excellent physical shape. He works out regularly, and has the stature to show for it.
It happens quite often that we will be at a social gathering and someone will inevitably ask him "what he does" to maintain his physique. He is always happy to briefly explain that he lifts weights consistently, takes nutritional supplements in addition to a healthy diet, etc.
However, I am dismayed at how often this will be followed by some implication that he uses illegal steroids. Joking or not, this strikes me as incredibly rude and inappropriate.
Heaven forbid a man got his biceps the old fashioned way! A "that's none of your business" type response seems to us to imply that he does use steroids, so how can we counter this question without being hostile?
GENTLE READER,
"By being shocked. This is such an effective way of stopping people dead that Miss Manners wonders why it is not used more often.
At the mention of steroids, jokingly or not, he or you --or both, if you are both present-- should shoot your eyebrows up to your hairline and say, "Don't you know that's bad for you? You should never, never consider doing that!" and so on and on."
How about: "Ha, no way does he take anabolic steroids, you should see the size of his balls!"
I love your answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,701 - 74,720 of96,279
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min dhimsbugs 167,725
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min Grey Ghost 1,036,765
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 47,180
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Welp 43,164
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 65,556
Babylon the Great 3 hr Dr_Jay 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr jackson 4,041
Amy 4-23 8 hr cheluzal 40
ask amy 4-22 14 hr Sublime1 69
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters