Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#75675 Nov 7, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
new Miss manners column:
DEAR MISS MANNERS,
I am married to a wonderful man who is in excellent physical shape. He works out regularly, and has the stature to show for it.
It happens quite often that we will be at a social gathering and someone will inevitably ask him "what he does" to maintain his physique. He is always happy to briefly explain that he lifts weights consistently, takes nutritional supplements in addition to a healthy diet, etc.
However, I am dismayed at how often this will be followed by some implication that he uses illegal steroids. Joking or not, this strikes me as incredibly rude and inappropriate.
Heaven forbid a man got his biceps the old fashioned way! A "that's none of your business" type response seems to us to imply that he does use steroids, so how can we counter this question without being hostile?
GENTLE READER,
"By being shocked. This is such an effective way of stopping people dead that Miss Manners wonders why it is not used more often.
At the mention of steroids, jokingly or not, he or you --or both, if you are both present-- should shoot your eyebrows up to your hairline and say, "Don't you know that's bad for you? You should never, never consider doing that!" and so on and on."
***
How about: "Ha, no way does he take anabolic steroids, you should see the size of his balls!"
I love your answer.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75676 Nov 7, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
new Miss manners column:
DEAR MISS MANNERS,
I am married to a wonderful man who is in excellent physical shape. He works out regularly, and has the stature to show for it.
It happens quite often that we will be at a social gathering and someone will inevitably ask him "what he does" to maintain his physique. He is always happy to briefly explain that he lifts weights consistently, takes nutritional supplements in addition to a healthy diet, etc.
However, I am dismayed at how often this will be followed by some implication that he uses illegal steroids. Joking or not, this strikes me as incredibly rude and inappropriate.
Heaven forbid a man got his biceps the old fashioned way! A "that's none of your business" type response seems to us to imply that he does use steroids, so how can we counter this question without being hostile?
GENTLE READER,
"By being shocked. This is such an eff
ective way of stopping people dead that Miss Manners wonders why it is not used more often.
At the mention of steroids, jokingly or not, he or you --or both, if you are both present-- should shoot your eyebrows up to your hairline and say, "Don't you know that's bad for you? You should never, never consider doing that!" and so on and on."
***
How about: "Ha, no way does he take anabolic steroids, you should see the size of his balls!"
Oh, god. I giggled out loud in a very quiet room.

Dude must be riiiiippped. I never automatically think 'roids' about the average muscle-y guy. If he had a lot of acne or was irrationally pissed off, sure.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75677 Nov 7, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Ryan also gave us something full of so many inaccuracies and holes, it was easy to rip apart and show that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
maybe he was too busy making up fake times for the marathons he never actually ran.
Maybe he should have just been like Obama and gave us nothing.

Geithner to Ryan about Obama's solution:

"We're not coming before you to say we have a definitive solution to our long-term problem. What we do know is we don't like yours."

Not even f'ing trying is clearly a much better approach, right, Angela? I'm sure you would have said, I think it was pure genius of Ryan to admit he has no f'ing plan whatsoever.

Obama has NO PLAN to do anything about debt or long term solvency. His only plan is to keep spending money like it is going out of style which will only exacerbate the problem, get out of office in 4 years, and go make 500k giving speeches while someone else has to deal with the impending debt crisis.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#75678 Nov 7, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Is that THE Jesse Jackson or does he have a son and he's in political office?
haven't read all the other comments yet,so i apologize if this is old news by now.

Jesse Jackson Jr is in Congress, son of teh minister activist. sonny has been battling bi-polar and G-I disorders for several months now.

my beef isn't that he has issues and is out of work, but rather that he has been quiet about it while he has "mood disorders" diagnosed that get dribbled out to his constituency. there's also another congressman who has been out on extended medical leave after having a stroke. his office has been a little more forthcoming with updates, while still "requesting privacy while he rehabilitates".

my bigger concern, and one that is rarely echoed in the media taht i watch, is that these guys were elected, and no one appears to be doign their job. who's representing the people? heck, in my office, if you're out more than 12 weeks, they find someone else to do your work. you might be able to get teh same job back, but it might be antoehr similar one instead. is there someithgn like taht for legislators? If not, why not?(ok, buyign the job aside...)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75679 Nov 7, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Does he have a plan for recovery yet? Besides raising taxes?
His plan is to raise taxes on the rich and bring in 68 billion more of revenue a year. That does almost NOTHING.

Even Bill Clinton has stated on record that even if you taxed folks like him at 100% it still wouldn't solve our budget problems.

Bill Clinton would like to see Obama wait for the economy to improve, before raising taxes on EVERYONE (the 50% of us who actually pay federal income tax I mean). He doesn't want to see spending cuts, tho.

I liken that to a farmer saying don't slaughter the sow until she puts on a few more pounds first. The difference between a farmer and a democrat, is that the democrat would try to explain to the sow why it's in the sows best interest to be slaughtered.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#75680 Nov 7, 2012
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".

Question to the peanut gallery.

How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?

I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price

Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75681 Nov 7, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".
Question to the peanut gallery.
How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?
I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price
Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".
No. That has almost no bearing on clothing I buy.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#75682 Nov 7, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
In the market. The 4,500 points it's up since Bush left office. You know, the post you responded to?
The hundred plus points that dropped this morning? The cliff coming in April? That one?

Oh, and obamacare is gonna do more financial damage to this country than both wars combined.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75683 Nov 7, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".
Question to the peanut gallery.
How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?
I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price
Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".
I get most of my kids' stuff at Old Navy and Target. No need to check the lables there; I *know* that it's not made here and that's probably why I can afford it.

There are other things that I might check on and care about the answer; toys come to mind. And believe it or not, cleaning supplies made here seem to be cheaper.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#75684 Nov 7, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".
Question to the peanut gallery.
How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?
I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price
Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".
I look for satisfaction of my needs and quality. I do not subscribe to the "buy American just to buy American" mentality. First, the public is ignorant as to what portion of the "American" goods they consume are actually designed/engineered/manufactur ed/owned overseas, and vice versa.

Second, that mentality is a large part of what got the American car companies in trouble. They counted on people buying American, regardless of what cars were best, and the quality kept going down, and people finally said screw it. They had the ability all along, they were just lazy. That is evidenced by how quickly they were able to get their act together.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75685 Nov 7, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
His plan is to raise taxes on the rich and bring in 68 billion more of revenue a year. That does almost NOTHING.
Even Bill Clinton has stated on record that even if you taxed folks like him at 100% it still wouldn't solve our budget problems.
Bill Clinton would like to see Obama wait for the economy to improve, before raising taxes on EVERYONE (the 50% of us who actually pay federal income tax I mean). He doesn't want to see spending cuts, tho.
I liken that to a farmer saying don't slaughter the sow until she puts on a few more pounds first. The difference between a farmer and a democrat, is that the democrat would try to explain to the sow why it's in the sows best interest to be slaughtered.
68 billion is "nothing"?

You one percenters!

It's 'nothing' so, don't even try. Kill Big Bird instead.

IDK how you guys lost...
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#75686 Nov 7, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The hundred plus points that dropped this morning? The cliff coming in April? That one?
Oh, and obamacare is gonna do more financial damage to this country than both wars combined.
Riiight, and the economic situation in Europe had nothing to to with that. For the third time, does Obama get credit for the 4,500 points the market has gained since Bush left office?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75687 Nov 7, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The hundred plus points that dropped this morning? The cliff coming in April? That one?
Um, if you'll recall your high school social studies lessons, the *Congress* has control of the purse strings. They are the ones who have driven us right up to this fiscal cliff.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75688 Nov 7, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'd love to sit and watch her at a Chris Rock show. Or Dane Cook. Or Dice Clay. Or Old School Eddie Murphy. Or Carlos Mencia.
This woman would shit her pants at the inappropriateness in the air. If that question, when its obviously a joke, offends her so much, I'm guessing any joke higher than a kintergarten level would bother her.
I don't even remember what this is in response to, and I went back 5-6 pages' worth!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75689 Nov 7, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
My county is blue!
It is a two party system and there are Republicans all over the place. Thatt is not to say that conservative Democratic clubs don't exist as well but they are not well publicized.

I acknowedge your disagreements. A lot of people share them. My point is that in addition to griping, you ( and everyone esle here) should DO something. Stuff envelopes. Man a phone bank. Fix teh computer in teh Republican county office. Give money if you have extra. Reserach a position, see how other states/counties have done it and write a term paper then send it to your Rep as a suggestion. Should I keep going?

Essentially, earn your griping rights

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75690 Nov 7, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't even remember what this is in response to, and I went back 5-6 pages' worth!
It's from the Miss Manners letter re: the steroids. I had to look close to figure it out, too.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75691 Nov 7, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>68 billion is "nothing"?
You one percenters!
It's 'nothing' so, don't even try. Kill Big Bird instead.
IDK how you guys lost...
68 billion in additional revenue is nothing when you are racking up 1000+ billion in debt annually. It doesn't magically put us on anything close to a sustainable course. It also does nothing to avoid the big uptick ten years down the road on Geithner's chart:

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/16/geithne...

Geithner even admitted Obama has no solution to it and admitted that they aren't even attempting to find a solution to it. His solution is to continue to contribute to the problem. You don't have to like Romney to admit that is crap leadership.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75692 Nov 7, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
68 billion in additional revenue is nothing when you are racking up 1000+ billion in debt annually. It doesn't magically put us on anything close to a sustainable course. It also does nothing to avoid the big uptick ten years down the road on Geithner's chart:
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/16/geithne...
Geithner even admitted Obama has no solution to it and admitted that they aren't even attempting to find a solution to it. His solution is to continue to contribute to the problem. You don't have to like Romney to admit that is crap leadership.
Well, we'll never know what Rmoney's plan was because we had to elect him to find out. I will always suspect that it was loading up lesser performing states like Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi with debt and them selling them to the Chinese but, we'll never know.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75694 Nov 7, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just read an article titled "Study: Shoppers Might Avoid Buying American-Made Clothing To Save A Few Bucks".
Question to the peanut gallery.
How many of you proactively check to see where the items you buy are manufactured? Cars and brand name electronics aside, do you pick up a shirt and check to see where it was made? Shoes?
I just felt like the title was oddly worded. When I shop for clothes, there are 2 considerations:
-do I like the way it looks
-is it an acceptable price
Deciding not to buy something because it is too expensive, and it just happens to be American made, is not the same as "avoiding buying american".
I have to say I'm with you. I don't look where things are made, really. Except for dog treats. China dog treats are deadly, I guess. For the doggies.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#75695 Nov 7, 2012
PEllen wrote:
I acknowedge your disagreements. A lot of people share them. My point is that in addition to griping, you ( and everyone esle here) should DO something. Stuff envelopes. Man a phone bank. Fix teh computer in teh Republican county office. Give money if you have extra. Reserach a position, see how other states/counties have done it and write a term paper then send it to your Rep as a suggestion. Should I keep going?
Essentially, earn your griping rights
I've done my share of campaigning. Know what? NONE OF MY PEOPLE WON! You know the problem with democracy? If a majority of the people are stupid, DEMOCRACY DOESN'T WORK. Jesse Jackson Jr has been ABSENT for the last six moths, he won overwhelmingly! He should never have been on the ballot! Who's running this thing?!

State democrats have raised our taxes, banned smoking, initiated backseat seatbelt laws, allowed illegals to go to school for free while citizens have to pay for education, run our state into the ground financially, denied us our second amendment rights, AND THE IDIOT VOTERS IN THIS STATE STILL, STILL AFTER ALL THAT, STILL VOTED FOR THEM TO KEEP THE SENATE!!! Thankfully, we won the house, and hopefully we'll win the governorship, but that just goes to show you how STUPID democrat voters are!

You can't educate people like that. You can't reason with them and make them understand, nothing you do can do any good. Our only chance is to take back the governorship and turn this state red again, that's gonna be a tough order, though. I'm all for letting Cook, McHenry, and Lake counties succeed from the rest of Illinios and let them form their own state. Let's get THAT on the ballot in two years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Guru 182,162
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 53 min Tim 146
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 59 min Teaman 1,156,200
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 59 min Mothra 49,360
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 51,296
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr Breezy _Soul 4,797
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,924
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Bears vs. Vikings: What Experts Are Saying About Chicago
NBC Sports 6:03 AM
Jim Caldwell: No concerns about starting a rookie center
Bleacher Report 8:46 AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015
NBC Sports 7:32 AM
Full-blown Bears house-cleaning could be coming