Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75370 Oct 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing that can be done about adding the students to the rolls after the deadline has passed, but after the election a couple of the school board members are going to make a big issue about this (they are up for re-election and everyone who currently holds a political or school board position in my town is connected to the Dem party - we asked them to hold off until after the election because they are good people who do the right thing regardless of politics, but the mayor does not take kindly to people who speak out against "his" party and he is not above fighting dirty).
We are one of the largest townships in NJ, but our politics are so corrupt. Jim McGreevey, the former NJ gov who resigned bc he made his unqualified boyfriend head of security (and lots of other things that were about to come out) is our former mayor.
Someone needs to tell the election judges and pass it down the line. Something needs to be done now instead of when it's convenient for THEIR election.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75371 Oct 31, 2012
Old saying wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's ELECTION FRAUD. Like a candidates son owning voting machines. Like voting machines being made by 5 HUGE contributors to a particular candidate.

To paraphrase Josef Stalin: "Voter fraud at .ooo4% of voting is a tragedy to be exploited as a dog and pony show for voter suppression. Election fraud via vote counting is a Rmoney presidency!"

That's the original Russian translation, anyway.
Voting fraud is one party taking note of who hasn't voted yet, walking outside and paying people to go in and say they are "John Smith" so they can vote because NJ doesn't require that you show ID, a voter registration card or proof of residency when you show up at the polls.

You can't refuse to let someone vote if you question their identity, you must fill out some lengthy paperwork to "challenge" the vote after it is cast and the board of elections will look into it.

That is a big problem in the next town over.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75372 Oct 31, 2012
RACE wrote:
And you still think voter fraud is not a concern?
<quoted text>
But Jess' situation would not be fixed by requiring a picture ID.
Old saying

United States

#75373 Oct 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Voting fraud is one party taking note of who hasn't voted yet, walking outside and paying people to go in and say they are "John Smith" so they can vote because NJ doesn't require that you show ID, a voter registration card or proof of residency when you show up at the polls.
You can't refuse to let someone vote if you question their identity, you must fill out some lengthy paperwork to "challenge" the vote after it is cast and the board of elections will look into it.
That is a big problem in the next town over.
And my state and others do not require photo ID either and yet, voter fraud is still a documented .0004% of MILLIONS of votes cast.

Your scenario of voting circa 1900 is true but, rather archaic. If you're familiar with magicians, you know that misdirection is key to his craft. He wants the audience to look over here while he performs his 'magic' over there. Thus it is with "VOTER fraud" versus "election fraud". If you're busy looking here, you won't look there.

A few people cheating here and there is an exercise in futility with no real pay off except at the Student Council level. But, as Mr Stalin said, "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do." He kept getting elected that way!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75374 Oct 31, 2012
So well over 20 years ago, I was given a camera as a christmas gift by my then-boyfriend. Eventually, it broke such that the film wouldn't advance. I put the camera aside and forgot about it. It's been laying around ever since, always sitting on a shelf or in a drawer. Since I'm moving, I decided it was time to deal with it. I'm pretty sure the film contains the last pictures I took of Spookee (best cat ever in the world) before he died (Nov. 2001). I knew I wanted to take it to a real camera place with a darkroom. I finally did that this afternoon.

My pictures will be ready when I stop by tomorrow morning around 11. I'm crossing my fingers that there are some good pictures in there. They threw the camera away for me.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#75375 Oct 31, 2012
pic id and voter registration card. Seems simple enough to me!
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>But Jess' situation would not be fixed by requiring a picture ID.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#75376 Oct 31, 2012
RACE wrote:
pic id and voter registration card. Seems simple enough to me!
<quoted text>
but someone turned in only PART of the voter registrations that were completed... the part that served their interests and did nothing with teh group of registrations that worked against hteir interests. not having proof of ID or registration won't help when an active member of a political party isn't doing what they should have done.

i'm about as non-political as they get, and i have a problem with what the teacher (?) did in ingoring teh registrations that were for hte other party.

Location hidden

#75377 Oct 31, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
but someone turned in only PART of the voter registrations that were completed... the part that served their interests and did nothing with teh group of registrations that worked against hteir interests. not having proof of ID or registration won't help when an active member of a political party isn't doing what they should have done.
i'm about as non-political as they get, and i have a problem with what the teacher (?) did in ingoring teh registrations that were for hte other party.
I don't know how she can live with herself. I seriously want her banned from election work for life.

Schaumburg, IL

#75378 Oct 31, 2012
There was a show on PBS that i caught part of about elections and how disfunctional they can get. It was hosted by Mo Rocca - which is why i started watching it (and switched when anotehr show that i was waiting for came on). He was lookign at some of the issues surrouding ID laws, is voting a right or a privlidge (and can felons vote), the different parties approaches to gettign out the vote, how the process works with teh electoral college - really a non-partisan, non-political civics lesson.

He did an "election" in a third grade class using popular vote and then by table to illustrate the electoral college. there was one kid who was rather articlate for a kid about how unfair the table vote was.

I may have to find the show on On Demand or the internet and watch the whole thing. If i find it, i'll post a link here if anyone wants to see it.

Location hidden

#75379 Oct 31, 2012
Mo Rocca? I'd watch that. I'dl ike for his to become a household name.

Location hidden

#75380 Oct 31, 2012
Family Guy fans:

Last night, Nick came over to help me do some moving-related stuff, I had supper for us and we sat down to eat and watch TV before heading out to the garage. Nick rarely watches FG, I watch regularly.

THen started an episode I'd never seen. Quagmire ends up in the hospital, and his sister and her abusive boyfriend come to stay with him to help him recuperate at home. The boyfriend is horrible, beats the crap out of her.

So the guys plan a last minute midnight camping trip with the boyfriend, planning to shoot him and bury the body. He figures it out and separates Quagmire from the rest, and beats the crap out of Quagmire, then chokes him "to death." While digging a grave, Quagmire comes to and gets in the car, chases the boyfriend down, who ends up standing right up against a tree... and Quagmire crashes his car into the guy, smashing him to bits.

Yeah, it wasn't a funny episode. But I loved that MacFarlane had the woman beater die in the end. But holy crap. I'm glad Nick wouldn't let his kids watch that show (the 10 yo has jsut started watching The Simpsons).

Des Plaines, IL

#75381 Oct 31, 2012
Red - here you go... looks like they're rebroadcasting in your neck of the woods over the weekend:

http://electoraldysfunction.org/

there are a lot of other rebroadcasts coming up in other cities too.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#75382 Oct 31, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Family Guy fans:
Last night, Nick came over to help me do some moving-related stuff, I had supper for us and we sat down to eat and watch TV before heading out to the garage. Nick rarely watches FG, I watch regularly.
THen started an episode I'd never seen. Quagmire ends up in the hospital, and his sister and her abusive boyfriend come to stay with him to help him recuperate at home. The boyfriend is horrible, beats the crap out of her.
So the guys plan a last minute midnight camping trip with the boyfriend, planning to shoot him and bury the body. He figures it out and separates Quagmire from the rest, and beats the crap out of Quagmire, then chokes him "to death." While digging a grave, Quagmire comes to and gets in the car, chases the boyfriend down, who ends up standing right up against a tree... and Quagmire crashes his car into the guy, smashing him to bits.
Yeah, it wasn't a funny episode. But I loved that MacFarlane had the woman beater die in the end. But holy crap. I'm glad Nick wouldn't let his kids watch that show (the 10 yo has jsut started watching The Simpsons).
Careful... you'll give me an idea.

>;)

Location hidden

#75383 Oct 31, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful... you'll give me an idea.
>;)
OH! HEY! What's the latest with your friend and Mr. Dickhead?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75384 Oct 31, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Family Guy fans:
Every time that show comes on E tries to tell us that it is one of his shows and we should let him watch it. Um, that would be a great big NO!

We have power now. Yay!

Location hidden

#75385 Oct 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time that show comes on E tries to tell us that it is one of his shows and we should let him watch it. Um, that would be a great big NO!
We have power now. Yay!
YAY! Woo hoo!

I don't think anyone under 16 needs to see Family Guy. I feel for parents -- kids think "it's a cartoon!"

Location hidden

#75386 Oct 31, 2012
OH, and that episode actually was not that bad. I mean, it was awful, but at least it shows that being abusive is bad/wrong and people don't like it and you'll die if you beat your girlfriend.

THe other episodes are MUCH worse for kids to see.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75387 Oct 31, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Mo Rocca? I'd watch that. I'dl ike for his to become a household name.
He is on Wait wait Don't Tell Me a lot

Location hidden

#75388 Oct 31, 2012
Tomorrow's CH column, the first letter is SCARY:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style...

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#75389 Oct 31, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
OH! HEY! What's the latest with your friend and Mr. Dickhead?
Did I tell you guys that he's going home (to PA) with her for Thanksgiving? And he's supposed to be coming up here next weekend to meet her friends (me, and others)? Let's see if he comes up with an excuse not to come up AGAIN this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,110,844
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 5 min Common Sense 4,034
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min Long Stream 49,934
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min factcheck 46,831
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min wojar 178,205
Abby 9-21-14 21 min cheluzal 8
EMERGENCY: LIFE SAVING INFORMATION about CELLPH... 57 min MARK TRAINA - NAAWP 1
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info