Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Anyone have anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy? Jess posted on Facebook 10 hours ago that the power was out but her family is fine & they have a generator.

I haven't been in touch with my parents but I assume they have no power, and I know cell service is spotty.

Work-wise, we have many sites with issues but no injuries or anything that I know of.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
FINE then. ;)
Bake them cookies.:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
They're predicting 10-20 inches of snow to fall today out there. My weather guy said "But this isn't light, fluffy snow. This will be heavy wet stuff in strong winds, which will be plastered to everythign like wet concrete."
In better news, Minnesota kids will be able to go trick or treating in 45-degree weather!
In Minnesota they're predicting that?

Guess it's time to get the winter mindset in place.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Is it wrong to complain that it was 48 degrees this morning while Frankenstorm is hitting the Northeast?
yes
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Anyone have anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy? Jess posted on Facebook 10 hours ago that the power was out but her family is fine & they have a generator.
I haven't been in touch with my parents but I assume they have no power, and I know cell service is spotty.
Work-wise, we have many sites with issues but no injuries or anything that I know of.
My daughter is west of Baltimore and NW of DC. Haven't heard from her since about 6 last night

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Anyone have anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy?
Yes. She knocked over a chair in my back yard.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Rain on Saturday. Figures, I kind of wanted to take the new mountain bike out for a whirl that morning...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
In Minnesota they're predicting that?
Guess it's time to get the winter mindset in place.
No, sorry, in West Virginia and other East Coast places.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Anyone have anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy?...
Thankfully not like the East Coast but it's pretty windy in Chicago today. They're keeping a close eye on the lake b/c they're expecting the Sandy winds to make the water go over Lake Shore Drive and then they'll have to close it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

I love the back and forth in the comments.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/florida-face...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

While I am not endorsing beating your kid with an electrical cord, some of the people against her sound like idiots.

"Someone should take a giant cable cord and hit her. This is just out right wrong. If she does not want her child on FB, she should have just talked to him and explain why she don't want him on FB. This is so crazy. Love our children they're our future."

Yes. Its so simple. Just explain to him why you don't want him on facebook and he'll automatically fall in line. Kids never disobey their parents. All they need is a good explanation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
I love the back and forth in the comments.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/florida-face...
I haven't read the comments yet, but she's 62. How on earth does she have a son who's a minor?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Kid just texted me to remind me she had been swimmer of the year at summer camp so all would be good.

Great.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

PEllen wrote:
Kid just texted me to remind me she had been swimmer of the year at summer camp so all would be good.
Great.
AT least she has a sense of humor about it all!:)

They did say on the news this morning that East Coasteres were being asked to text rather than make phone calls, to relieve the demands on cell service.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read the comments yet, but she's 62. How on earth does she have a son who's a minor?
By having a kid when she was older than 44.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Hubby will have to do disaster recovery for a couple sites out east... one they keep changing the date/time to start working on the plans for how to run it. someone says the site in NJ (not sure where beyond what state) won't have generataors until Thursday.

and i just thougth of some irony here... the site is a warehouse/distibution center that probably has some generators stocked in it!

he said they were pissing off vendor truckers who wanted to off load their cargo before teh storm hit, but the company already took down the computer systems so they couldn't properly accept the shipment. guess they were telling them to unhook the trailer and drive to the other side of hte lot to ride out the worst of the storm. as long as the cab was disconnected, the drivers were off the hook, i guess.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
While I am not endorsing beating your kid with an electrical cord, some of the people against her sound like idiots.
"Someone should take a giant cable cord and hit her. This is just out right wrong. If she does not want her child on FB, she should have just talked to him and explain why she don't want him on FB. This is so crazy. Love our children they're our future."
Yes. Its so simple. Just explain to him why you don't want him on facebook and he'll automatically fall in line. Kids never disobey their parents. All they need is a good explanation.
All you have to do is take away the computer.

The kid is obviously a cutter -- according to the article. Something tells me he probably gets beat a lot or there are a lot of other big issues in the household. I don't KNOW this, but b/c he's a cutter, I suspect it. From the Mayo Clinic:

"There's no one single or simple cause that leads someone to self-injure. The mix of emotions that triggers self-injury is complex. In general, self-injury is usually the result of an inability to cope in healthy ways with deep psychological pain. For instance, you may have a hard time regulating, expressing or understanding your emotions. Physical injury distracts you from these painful emotions or helps you feel a sense of control over an otherwise uncontrollable situation."

It does not excuse him for not listening, but lends to understanding. I didn't read the posts b/c people on both sides of the issue were probably going off the deep end.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>By having a kid when she was older than 44.
or adopting a grandchild and calling him/her her own instead of an adopted grandvhild....

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

so, i just got a laugh out of soemone that made me laugh.... was taking notes about a phone call, but didn't catch the guy's name at first adn had to ask for it again. he said it's like vincent price & peter sellers. i told him tahts a good way to put it. he kinda chuckled adn said that he has an idea of my age, because most younger poeple don't know who those two are.

i'd almost venture that a lot of people my age may ahve heard of htem once upon a time, but untless they're really into movies or were raised by quirky, retro parents (like i was) they wouldn't knwo who those two really are.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,341 - 74,360 of97,454
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min RealDave 1,072,832
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 54 min voice of peace 67,543
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Stuart Cudahy 68,163
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Maverick 808 45,549
Make 1000$ instantly 4 hr generalwon1 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Obama Suks 48,696
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr andet1987 407
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr LRS 173,742
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••