Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75139 Oct 26, 2012
Now that Thai food is in my head, guess I'm having that for dinner tonight.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75140 Oct 26, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I had for dinner last night! My husband worked late and the boys had to eat dinner early since Ry had CCD (or whatever they are calling it now), so I got to eat whatever I wanted for dinner.
I am in hurricane prep mode today and tomorrow. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the bad weather clears out before Wednesday afternoon. Last year we had no power on Halloween because of the snowstorm (that was day 3 of no power on our street) and our boys want to trick-or-treat with their friends in our neighborhood this year.
I hope you all remain safe and sound.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75141 Oct 26, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I had for dinner last night! My husband worked late and the boys had to eat dinner early since Ry had CCD (or whatever they are calling it now), so I got to eat whatever I wanted for dinner.
I am in hurricane prep mode today and tomorrow. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the bad weather clears out before Wednesday afternoon. Last year we had no power on Halloween because of the snowstorm (that was day 3 of no power on our street) and our boys want to trick-or-treat with their friends in our neighborhood this year.
I'm going to eat Thai for lunch with Bambi today. Guess what I'm having, lol?

Good luck with the hurricane. Hopefully it will weaken before it gets up by you.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75142 Oct 26, 2012
I just read the article about the nanny killing those children. My heart aches for that family. I cannot imagine living through what they are living through.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75143 Oct 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Pad See Yew
(Just checked my thai restaurant's menu, becuase I"d never heard of this.) I don't experiment -- I order the same thing every time.
I just checked my favorite restaurant and it is spelled Pad See Ew, lol.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75144 Oct 26, 2012
I just went to the bookmark for the mom's blog to post here (it's really wonderful) and it's been suspended.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75145 Oct 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I just went to the bookmark for the mom's blog to post here (it's really wonderful) and it's been suspended.
I don't need to read that. You want to make me cry at work or what?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75146 Oct 26, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I always get Pad See Ew when I eat Thai, too.
Usually one of us gets it because the kids like it too.

I split my yellow curry with the girls last night because that's what they asked for, but I really wanted the Pad See Ew. I think that why when I tried to take a bite and it failed, I got so pissed.

I also like the cashew chicken at our local place, and they make a yummy curry fried rice that I get sometimes too.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75147 Oct 26, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I had for dinner last night! My husband worked late and the boys had to eat dinner early since Ry had CCD (or whatever they are calling it now), so I got to eat whatever I wanted for dinner.
I am in hurricane prep mode today and tomorrow. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the bad weather clears out before Wednesday afternoon. Last year we had no power on Halloween because of the snowstorm (that was day 3 of no power on our street) and our boys want to trick-or-treat with their friends in our neighborhood this year.
What a poopy Halloween forcast! I hope the kids get to go out and that you all stay safe and fully electrified.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75148 Oct 26, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Usually one of us gets it because the kids like it too.
I get mine "Thai hot." Mine wouldn't touch it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#75149 Oct 26, 2012
Yeah, I will have to tell my daughter to get into hurricane mode too.

I just noticed how strange it is that I got blasted with wilma, you with a freak snow storm and not your getting both a hurricane and snow storm together, and they all occured during the last week of October.(though not the same year)
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I had for dinner last night! My husband worked late and the boys had to eat dinner early since Ry had CCD (or whatever they are calling it now), so I got to eat whatever I wanted for dinner.
I am in hurricane prep mode today and tomorrow. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the bad weather clears out before Wednesday afternoon. Last year we had no power on Halloween because of the snowstorm (that was day 3 of no power on our street) and our boys want to trick-or-treat with their friends in our neighborhood this year.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75150 Oct 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I just went to the bookmark for the mom's blog to post here (it's really wonderful) and it's been suspended.
My heart goes out to your mom. I have been crying off and all morning between the news (E was watching with me and asking why they were showing those kids' pictures) and a blog that I follow about a 6 year old who has cancer and the doctors have now said that it is no longer responding to any treatment, so if your mom's blog gets back online, I may as well read that, too.:)

The political ads and e-mails were getting to be too much for me (I'm still going to meetings and coordinating things IRL for the party, but I can't do political stuff 24/7), so I've been posting old pictures of family and friends on FB recently. It's been a good way to start discussions with relatives I don't usually talk to but am FB friends with and it brings up some happy memories. Plus, some of the pictures are just really fun to look at. I just needed a change of pace.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75151 Oct 26, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I get mine "Thai hot." Mine wouldn't touch it.
My thai place has mild, medium, hot, and then "native hot." Coworker (we have a group of six who do take out once or twice a month fromt his place) orders it "native hot."

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75152 Oct 26, 2012
This might be a stupid question, but:

Regs who are moms...do you think you became more sensitive to stories (like the murdering nanny one today) after you became a mom? Or were you just maternal from the get-go and that type of thing always hit home?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75153 Oct 26, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but:
Regs who are moms...do you think you became more sensitive to stories (like the murdering nanny one today) after you became a mom? Or were you just maternal from the get-go and that type of thing always hit home?
For me, before being a mother, stories like that would be so sad. I would think "how horrible".

After being a mother, you try to put yourself in the same shoes as that mother and think -- "I could not survive that kind of grief".

It's not that you don't care or don't have sympathy before children, but after children it goes deeper, such a deep empathy that goes down to your soul.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75154 Oct 26, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but:
Regs who are moms...do you think you became more sensitive to stories (like the murdering nanny one today) after you became a mom? Or were you just maternal from the get-go and that type of thing always hit home?
I think I was always sensitive to that kind of stuff, but having kids has made it worse.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75155 Oct 26, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
My heart goes out to your mom. I have been crying off and all morning between the news (E was watching with me and asking why they were showing those kids' pictures) and a blog that I follow about a 6 year old who has cancer and the doctors have now said that it is no longer responding to any treatment, so if your mom's blog gets back online, I may as well read that, too.:)
The political ads and e-mails were getting to be too much for me (I'm still going to meetings and coordinating things IRL for the party, but I can't do political stuff 24/7), so I've been posting old pictures of family and friends on FB recently. It's been a good way to start discussions with relatives I don't usually talk to but am FB friends with and it brings up some happy memories. Plus, some of the pictures are just really fun to look at. I just needed a change of pace.
I am THRILLED to not be in a swing state. I've seen fewer than 10 total presidential ads between the two candidates. I read this morning that residents of Las Vegas have been subjected to 73,000 political ads in the last several months.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75156 Oct 26, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but:
Regs who are moms...do you think you became more sensitive to stories (like the murdering nanny one today) after you became a mom? Or were you just maternal from the get-go and that type of thing always hit home?
My mom friends would agree with Toj and squishy.
I can read stories about horrific child abuse and torture and not shed a tear. Today's front page story is about a dog getting killed in a trap meant for wild animals and I immediately put the paper down and won't read any of the paper today. Or i'd be a wreck.

I don't get emotional over children directly -- I get more emotional when I think of what their parents go through emotionally.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75158 Oct 26, 2012
Not saying I don't care, as a non-mom. I am sure that losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to a person, and stories about bad things happening to children make me sadder than the same things happening to an adult.

But...stranger's kids dying is not going to make me cry. Just wondering if I'm a non-maternal robot or what.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#75159 Oct 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get emotional over children directly -- I get more emotional when I think of what their parents go through emotionally.
Well, yeah. I hope those kids didn't suffer for long. But omg...even the surviving daughter. She's young now, but I can imagine her being *so* angry once she fully realizes what has been taken away from her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,153,144
Deat Abby 12-16 21 min Mister Tonka 54
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Jacques Ottawa 181,714
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 82
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 1 hr Go Blue Forever 20
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 2 hr Le Duped 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,876
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:55 pm PST

Bleacher Report 5:55PM
Indianapolis Colts vs. Dallas Cowboys Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
NBC Sports 6:29 PM
Reports: Bears benching Cutler - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 7:26 PM
Trestman May Never Get 2nd Shot After Bears Meltdown
Bleacher Report 7:27 PM
What Are Experts Saying About Detroit?
Bleacher Report12:43 AM
What the News of Clausen Starting Means for the Bears