Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74952 Oct 19, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My forst car, a 79 toyota had no cup holder. I had to use one of these.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41loMoF...
That's what I remember my parents using during my childhood. Not that we ate or drank much AT ALL in the car, but in a pinch.

I may let the natural dirt & dust accumulate sometimes, but I never have crap in my car, not even in the trunk. Whenever I apologize for my car being dirty, meaning it needs a wash & vacuum, people always laugh.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74953 Oct 19, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I remember my parents using during my childhood. Not that we ate or drank much AT ALL in the car, but in a pinch.
I may let the natural dirt & dust accumulate sometimes, but I never have crap in my car, not even in the trunk. Whenever I apologize for my car being dirty, meaning it needs a wash & vacuum, people always laugh.
Why do you feel the need to apologize? Ain't like you left trash in THEIR car.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74954 Oct 19, 2012
From the CH live chat:

Canceled Wedding
Hi Carolyn, My daughter was supposed to get married the first weekend in November but, upon finding out about several affairs, she has canceled the wedding. My daughter is devastated, but has an excellent support system. However, we have issue with her ex-fiance's family. My family put down non-refundable deposits on numerous services like the venue, florist, photographer, etc. I think, given the circumstances of the split, her ex-fiance should reimburse us for the deposits. Her ex-fiance caused this wedding to be cancelled, and now he is just walking away, leaving thousands of dollars in his wake. My daughter is adopting the attitude of just wanting to get over him and move on, she would rather not get involved with his family. Since about half the deposits are mine, I do want to get involved. My son is a lawyer and told us that we have absolutely no legal recourse for this money and we should assume it is gone. I understand what my kids are saying, but it is hard for me to let this money go out of no fault of my family. Any advice?

A.
Carolyn Hax :

Pick your method--yoga, punching a pillow, throwing darts at a photo of the ex, Zumba, a cocktail at 4 pm instead of 5, a mock funeral service where you bury thousands in Monopoly money--and use it to bid farewell to the cash. Wanting people to behave as you want them to is a great way to waste a good chunk of your life. Better just to accept that your daughter is the luckiest person on earth right now, and that if this money is what it cost for her to reach this mountaintop, then it was well spent. Or well set on fire.

Besides, you don't want to get into the "out of no fault of my family," since, for example, your daughter may well have ignored signs she was with a cheater that could have helped her dump him before nonrefundable deposits were involved. I actually don't believe in such finger-pointing unless it's as part of a process of self-examination--but I'm putting it out there as a caution against such black-and-white, me-good-you-bad thinking.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74955 Oct 19, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>We have to use the roof bag strapped to the roof or we would have to take 2 cars.
Do you ever strap the dogs up there and ride Romney style?:D

Location hidden

#74956 Oct 19, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever strap the dogs up there and ride Romney style?:D
That'd be way too inhumane.

But with kids, I can see that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74957 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That'd be way too inhumane.
But with kids, I can see that.
It cracks me up that David Letterman is still playing on it. It's so stupid and ridiculous that David continues to joke about it that it's funny once again.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#74958 Oct 19, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a lot of crap in my car (or the trunk) either. The trunk has the normal stuff, flares, jumper cables, gas can, and a couple of microfiber cloths, windex wipes and armor all wipes(in a neat box) and inside the car is only a box of kleenex.

Even the glove box has only the case thing with the book, registration and insurance info. Oh and a pair of gloves lol. I keep a screw driver, some change (tolls?) gum, hand sanitizer, and matches in the center console thinggy. That's it. I can not stand a cluttered messy car.

There's also a wastebasket hanggy thinggy that gets emptied every couple days as it accumulates Starbucks straw wrappers. LOL

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#74959 Oct 19, 2012
Where is your ditch bag?
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a lot of crap in my car (or the trunk) either. The trunk has the normal stuff, flares, jumper cables, gas can, and a couple of microfiber cloths, windex wipes and armor all wipes(in a neat box) and inside the car is only a box of kleenex.
Even the glove box has only the case thing with the book, registration and insurance info. Oh and a pair of gloves lol. I keep a screw driver, some change (tolls?) gum, hand sanitizer, and matches in the center console thinggy. That's it. I can not stand a cluttered messy car.
There's also a wastebasket hanggy thinggy that gets emptied every couple days as it accumulates Starbucks straw wrappers. LOL
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74960 Oct 19, 2012
RACE wrote:
Where is your ditch bag?
<quoted text>
The first time I heard that was when my sister went out with a guy who had been in the Israeli army. He showed up for the first date with a bag three days change of clothes and supplies in the car... and a bunch of roses.

Location hidden

#74961 Oct 19, 2012
I'm a bit drunk.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#74962 Oct 20, 2012
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#74963 Oct 20, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Can I use the swiffer wet wipes things that I use now on my fake wood floors (pergo), and use them on polyurethaned (protected) real wood floors?
You can but there is a product called Bona, sp? that is supposed to be the best ever. I have a 1920's house, no carpeting just area rugs. But the floors really need to be refinished so I just use a couple of products that spray on and get almost dry mopped up. They work well and the floors shine. I also use the wet swiffer from time to time. Some people use vinegar and water but vinegar will eventually dry the wood.

The best thing to do is vacuum every day but screw that.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74964 Oct 20, 2012
Driiiiizunk.
Voice of Reason

Massapequa, NY

#74965 Oct 20, 2012
Mark Levin (WABC radio) receives a telephone call from a NeuroSurgeon, that he was called in to a meeting by the HHS. At that meeting they were informed that if they were called in on an emergency call, and the patient was over 70 years old, they have to wait until the HHS United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)indicates what treatment they can receive..... All joking aside this is the death panel that we have been warning you Seniors about. Listen to this and make your own mind up, and just maybe it will tell you whom to vote for, keeping in mind yourself and maybe your over 70 year old parents and grand-parents.(The radio station verified the caller was a bon-a-fide NeuroSurgeon)

Boynton Beach, FL

#74966 Oct 21, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Driiiiizunk.
If this were Facebook, I'd "like" your status.
:)
Don

Brookfield, WI

#74967 Oct 21, 2012
Hello
Ralph Jr

Highland Park, IL

#74968 Oct 21, 2012
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#74969 Oct 21, 2012
Hi, party people!
Stopping in to say hello....I've been stuck in dissertation purgatory.
I have a rough draft of Ch. 1 and I can't lie...it's freaking exciting!:)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#74970 Oct 21, 2012
cheluzal wrote:
Hi, party people!
Stopping in to say hello....I've been stuck in dissertation purgatory.
I have a rough draft of Ch. 1 and I can't lie...it's freaking exciting!:)
Good for you!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#74971 Oct 21, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you!
Thanks!!
I'm in my final cohort class and we're writing Ch. 1, arguably the hardest. You have to rationalize every.little.thing you want to do. I have so many articles, it's not funny.
I was scared I wouldn't have enough but I'm doing great, and even look forward to sitting here working on it!
Hopefully, I'll have Ch. 2 and 3 done by Spring, then I need to pass my qual exam, become a candidate, and get research approval to start collecting data next Fall.
:D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min scirocco 1,154,093
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,838
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 42 min scirocco 71,045
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 51 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,884
2 cops executed in new york 1 hr The Pissed Citizen 1
More on the Eric Garner Saga 1 hr The Patriot 7
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Cowobunga 51,254
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:26 am PST

NBC Sports 8:26AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH
CBS Sports 4:09 AM
Jay Cutler expected back with Bears in 2015, with new coaching staff