Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74895 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend! Plans, folks?
Good morning!

No solid plans tonight, probably will pick up Thai takeout from the place across the street with my mom. Serenity now... I remember why she never stays with me. Discreet drinking on my part will be involved.

Tomorrow: morning errands, football watching, and a friend's birthday dinner. Non-discreet drinking will be involved.

Sunday: church, learning how to make my grandmother's stuffed pepper recipe, possibly dinner with a friend and her mom, the four of us (we've done this mom & daughter dinner a couple of times before).

“Happy Halloween”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74896 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Apart from that, have you taken your boys there? I used to vacation at a resort between there and Ashevilleup in the mountains. I took my girls there when they were 4 and 7. The Indian Village as impressive
Yes, we spent the day picnicking where the river splits into two and they each surround an island that has a big park with big trees, picnic tables, and grills. The rivers are very gentle and the kids could play in the river without much supervision. It was great. I can't wait to go back.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#74897 Oct 19, 2012
Hi Mimi.

“Happy Halloween”

Location hidden

#74898 Oct 19, 2012
Tonight: Chill with Bambi. She worked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. So I haven't seen her much this week.

Tomorrow: Finish getting my computer set up (I reformatted it last week because it was so buggy). Then I'll have a computer to help my cousin file for a trademark for her cancer charity (she is younger than me and had breast cancer, mastectomy, but is cancer free). She is currently using money she raised to help another woman who has cancer with her medical bills.

Then at night, Bambi and I are going out alone to an Indian restaurant for dinner.

Sunday: Chill and watch football and do some yard work. Exciting, I know.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74899 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have hardwood floors in teh new place, go to a janitorial supply store and invest in a wide dust mop with removable mop head. Those are washable and very effective for cat hair.
Also, hardwood floors transmit sound easily. Often just a rug under the sound making device(TV, steroo speakers, piano) is helpful.
Franco Sarto's clack on wood floors.
If you have had hardwood in an aparment before you know all this already. You don't need to worry about it in a house cause there is no one else downstairs of you
I'm on the first floor, thankfully.

My friend had a big house with hardwood floors and I would get there early enough on a Friday night to be there when she was cleaning a bit before people came over, and she got out the school janitor style dustmop -- long, fat -- and went through the whole place in a snap. I totally plan on doing that -- there's a janitor suppply place downtown St. Paul where I buy my spray bottles for cleaning solutions.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74900 Oct 19, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning!
No solid plans tonight, probably will pick up Thai takeout from the place across the street with my mom. Serenity now... I remember why she never stays with me. Discreet drinking on my part will be involved.
Heh. I have been there.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74901 Oct 19, 2012
Tonight: local pro hockey team's opening night. No drinking, since I'm on the diet. :-/ Tomorrow, I have the whole day and the whole house to myself, as J's taking a day trip with his friend. Hockey again at night, *will* be drinking because it's cheat night. With calories, not cheating on J. J's bringing SIL back (yaaaay...) because she has a doctor's appointment on Monday, so we're going to carve/paint pumpkins on Sunday. Playing hockey Sunday night.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#74902 Oct 19, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.
I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
As PEllen said, it will change and I have proof.

When my kids hear about a wedding, they ask if it's for two girls, two boys or a boy and a girl.

Evanston IL

#74903 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend! Plans, folks?
Tonight: Nothing much.

Sat: Going to see the Imagination Movers with the kids; I was smart and bought tickets for the matinee so we'll get home before dark. Maybe have pizza or thai...

Sun: Matilda just reminded me that we need to get a few pumpkins carved. Also going to order the girls' bunk beds and maybe one for the parents too. We're pretty much pissed off at the bed we currently have; we both got so distracted with the noises it was making this morning that we just gave up on the nookie. <sigh>

Evanston IL

#74904 Oct 19, 2012
Oh, I forgot to add clean the guinea pig cage out to our weekend plans. Hope it goes smoother this time!

And the little blighter bit me last night. He'd nibbled on all of us, but he tried to take a chunk out of my finger. I'm trying to remember that he's not full grown and doesn't have words, but it ain't easy. We think he's getting freaked out because he spends most of his day in silence and then has to deal with utter mayhem when we come home. So now he's listening to NPR and hopefully that will get him used to some people sounds.

Matilda, I would gladly take any advice about the biting thing. I'm afraid to put my hand in there!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#74905 Oct 19, 2012
squishymama wrote:
When my kids hear about a wedding, they ask if it's for two girls, two boys or a boy and a girl.
Ahhh, progress. When you actually have to specify if a wedding is for two men, two women, three midgets and a horse, a man marrying a car, a brother, sister, and a nephew...

Location hidden

#74906 Oct 19, 2012
It's simple, really. The marriage laws should just say "two legal age unrelated adults." Easy peasy.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74907 Oct 19, 2012
squishymama wrote:
Oh, I forgot to add clean the guinea pig cage out to our weekend plans. Hope it goes smoother this time!
And the little blighter bit me last night. He'd nibbled on all of us, but he tried to take a chunk out of my finger. I'm trying to remember that he's not full grown and doesn't have words, but it ain't easy. We think he's getting freaked out because he spends most of his day in silence and then has to deal with utter mayhem when we come home. So now he's listening to NPR and hopefully that will get him used to some people sounds.
Matilda, I would gladly take any advice about the biting thing. I'm afraid to put my hand in there!
Ah, that sucks. The only time mine bit was when I put my finger in their face and they were expecting food instead. Not even sure they ever even drew blood. Once he's bigger, he'll be all neck, so if you're holding him around the middle and he freaks, it's harder for him to get you. I guess just don't sneak up on him...

I also only had females (thank goodness, because it is hard to tell when they're babies), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Evanston IL

#74908 Oct 19, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, progress. When you actually have to specify if a wedding is for two men, two women, three midgets and a horse, a man marrying a car, a brother, sister, and a nephew...
Even my kids are smart enough to know you can't marry a horse, so please, be as smart as my kids and stop saying that. It's stupid and you know it.

Evanston IL

#74909 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, that sucks. The only time mine bit was when I put my finger in their face and they were expecting food instead. Not even sure they ever even drew blood. Once he's bigger, he'll be all neck, so if you're holding him around the middle and he freaks, it's harder for him to get you. I guess just don't sneak up on him...
I also only had females (thank goodness, because it is hard to tell when they're babies), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
The book I read said that males are generally the more tame gender. <mimi shrug> They only had males at the store.

I guess I'll just have to get out my leather gloves for awhile, since I'm pretty sure the don't make guinea pig muzzles.
:D

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74910 Oct 19, 2012
I take that back. My feisty redheaded one bit me once *hard* in that webbing between my thumb and finger. I was probably trying to trim her nails or something.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74911 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we spent the day picnicking where the river splits into two and they each surround an island that has a big park with big trees, picnic tables, and grills. The rivers are very gentle and the kids could play in the river without much supervision. It was great. I can't wait to go back.
The geology in the area also yields sapphires and rubies. There are roadside sluices where you buy a bucket of dirt and you sluice to see what gems are in there. It gets addictive.

I have a sapphire about an inch long and a quarter inch in diameter that "I" found. The girls had a grand time- it was tough to leave... Just one more bucket, mom, please.

If you do that, the earth contain a lot of iron ore which stains clothes. Use Barkeepers Friend ( oxalic acid in a kitchen cleanser form) sprinkled on teh clothes and teh stains come right out.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74912 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is-- or was-- a dude ranch in the mountains called Cataloochee Ranch. It was a converted farmstead. We have gone tehre 3 or 4 times. They have horses and trail rides

Location hidden

#74913 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
Tonight: Chill with Bambi. She worked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. So I haven't seen her much this week.
What does she do again?

Location hidden

#74914 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I take that back. My feisty redheaded one bit me once *hard* in that webbing between my thumb and finger. I was probably trying to trim her nails or something.
I had no idea you had to trim their nails! duh!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Grey Ghost 1,129,395
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Learn to Read 179,685
Rattlesnake Logic 30 min stupid amerikan 24
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min Poof1 50,778
Abby 10-31 43 min edogxxx 1
Why do REPUBLICS Fail and Fall 1 hr NO APATHY 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 70,157

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 3:39AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]