Topix Chitown Regulars

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74936 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your older one hooked on the Sunday comics as soon as he can read! That might buy you a few minutes.
I used to come down, divde up the paper in sections:
-sections I read
-sections to throw away
-coupons
-sale papers

And I'd kick back and take my time reading. Now, Sunday is my day to sleep in, so I stay in bed as long as possible. I pull out my tablet and browse whatever news I can that way. I can't remember the last time I read the actual PAPER paper. We just get it for the coupons at this point. I squeeze in a peek at the sale paper's when I can.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74937 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
In my above rant, I'm just sayin', it can be done. And unless you're having 3 or more, you don't need a minivan or a 8 passenger SUV.
Try loading up a regular car with 2 parents, 2 kids, 2 pugs, luggage, christmas presents, and stuff to keep them busy(like seat back dvd player) and heading out of town for grandma's on Christmas. There is no way we could fit in a regular car. At the very leaast, there would be no place for the dogs.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74938 Oct 19, 2012
That list was great.

About the car thing -- probably depends on what your schedule is and that would equal what you're able to tolerate.

If you have to leave early in the a.m. and get your child to daycare or school before heading off to work, you learn "to-go" breakfasts that are healthier alternatives to getting fast food. I use to use cups.

My cars were much cleaner when the kids are babies, it's when they're preschool and school age when you live in your car more.

Well, for me.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#74939 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on the first floor, thankfully.
My friend had a big house with hardwood floors and I would get there early enough on a Friday night to be there when she was cleaning a bit before people came over, and she got out the school janitor style dustmop -- long, fat -- and went through the whole place in a snap. I totally plan on doing that -- there's a janitor suppply place downtown St. Paul where I buy my spray bottles for cleaning solutions.
as much as i love swiffers, i'll have to try that sometime. i also have a little dust vaccuum that is ok. it's better than swiffer vac at gettign stuff up, but one still has to go back over teh floors with the swiffer to collect the dust. Half the time i just dust vac to get hte chunks up. i'm lazy like that and have finally started to own it! ;-P
Ted Baxter

Rolling Meadows, IL

#74940 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Lars, my new landlord, was telling me about his struggles to renovate the fourplex. It's a historical building, so he has to get everything approved by some historical review board. They fought him on putting in a security door on the front of the building (took him two years to get approval). THey fought him when he had to rebuild the porch -- they wanted him to use 100% natural pine, but he wanted to use some concrete and composite/resin products for their durability. You can't tell the difference really by looking at it from the sidewalk (I couldn't tell and Iwas at the front door). I figure, as long as it LOOKS appropriate, who cares what it's made of?
Rhoda- you should get Lou to allow you to do an expose on this! Phyllis's husband, Lars, shouldn't have to go through this!

This is Ted Baxter, reporting live...

Itasca, IL

#74941 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have test #2 nailed. Forget the rest.
Re: kids messing up your car. I should note that I do not keep the inside of my car particularly neat. I have hockey and rollerblade stuff in there and there are dog nose prints on the windows. However, my dad was/is a 'car guy' and keeps his cars fairly pristine and we were brought up to treat their cars the same. You brought a toy with, you took that toy with you when you got back home. There was no chocolate ice cream cone in the glove compartment or a rake run against the side.
Nowdays, I regularly see cars that have kid's stickers plastered up all over the inside of the back windows and enough toys to fill a toybox. My dad would have had a stroke.
/end pointless rant
im not obsessively neat in the car, but with my new one, i am keeping much more on top of picking up after myself. we'll see how long it lasts, but i remind myself that clean begets clean, and mess begets mess.

too bad i dont use that line on mysself in the kitchen...

Itasca, IL

#74942 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I sometimes will have a bottle of pop or water, but I always use something with a lid. Other than that, no food or drink allowed in my car. I learned a long time ago: Once you allow yourself (or others) to eat in your car, it becomes a shithole very quickly.
i'll eat snacks in this car, but i'm tryign to stay away from "real food", even if i'm standing still - liek grab a burger on a way to an appointment and eat it in hte lot. hubby says it's up to me how and when i set & break the rules on that. so, we'll see...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74943 Oct 19, 2012
Can I use the swiffer wet wipes things that I use now on my fake wood floors (pergo), and use them on polyurethaned (protected) real wood floors?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74944 Oct 19, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Try loading up a regular car with 2 parents, 2 kids, 2 pugs, luggage, christmas presents, and stuff to keep them busy(like seat back dvd player) and heading out of town for grandma's on Christmas. There is no way we could fit in a regular car. At the very leaast, there would be no place for the dogs.
Ah, yeah, good point. Back in the day, we didn't travel for Christmas and we boarded the dog, so 2 kids + luggage in a sedan was reasonable. Right now, it's a stretch getting the three of us and the dogs, luggage, and presents up to my dad's for a couple days at Christmas in a midsize SUV.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74945 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Can I use the swiffer wet wipes things that I use now on my fake wood floors (pergo), and use them on polyurethaned (protected) real wood floors?
Probably. I'm sure people will chime in to let you know.

But microfiber, washable mops heads would do a great job an be more economical. But I do love how the swiffer wet wipes smell. Guess I love the smell of chemicals or something. But it smells fresh to me.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74946 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes Nick's kids will need to eat in the car (like, they're on their way out of town to the cabin, and he doesn't want ot waste 20-30 minutes eating inside). He learned long ago: No french fries.
I remember eating in the car as a kid. Not excessively, but here and there. There was a strict 'no chocolate' rule for vacation candy, though.

Come to think of it, I think the car we used primarily (1977 Pontiac Bonneville) had NO cupholders. How weird is that? I use mine every day.

Itasca, IL

#74947 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember eating in the car as a kid. Not excessively, but here and there. There was a strict 'no chocolate' rule for vacation candy, though.
Come to think of it, I think the car we used primarily (1977 Pontiac Bonneville) had NO cupholders. How weird is that? I use mine every day.
They hadn't discoverd them until the '90s...

we had a no food, drink, or sticker rule in the cars growing up. i felt like such a rebel when i took a bottle of water with me when we drove to Tulsa 10 years ago. my cousin was opening a restaurant, and we didn't make up our minds that we woudl go until it was too late to get reasonable airfare. 3 drivers, an overnight stay in the middle of MO on the way out there, and 12 hrs straight on teh way back - oddly, wasn't the worst road trip i'd ever had with my parents.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74948 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, yeah, good point. Back in the day, we didn't travel for Christmas and we boarded the dog, so 2 kids + luggage in a sedan was reasonable. Right now, it's a stretch getting the three of us and the dogs, luggage, and presents up to my dad's for a couple days at Christmas in a midsize SUV.
We have to use the roof bag strapped to the roof or we would have to take 2 cars.

Location hidden

#74949 Oct 19, 2012
I asked a coworker who has hardwood floors. She said you're not supposed to use the swiffer stuff on it (the wet stuff) b/c it could damage the protective finish of the wood over time.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74950 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My forst car, a 79 toyota had no cup holder. I had to use one of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41loMoF...

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#74951 Oct 19, 2012
I have one of those, I have tile in the bed and parquet in the rest of the house (well linolium in the kitchen). very useful.
If you have wood floors, spray with orange glow and buff it in with that dustmop, then watch all your animals slide around.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on the first floor, thankfully.
My friend had a big house with hardwood floors and I would get there early enough on a Friday night to be there when she was cleaning a bit before people came over, and she got out the school janitor style dustmop -- long, fat -- and went through the whole place in a snap. I totally plan on doing that -- there's a janitor suppply place downtown St. Paul where I buy my spray bottles for cleaning solutions.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74952 Oct 19, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My forst car, a 79 toyota had no cup holder. I had to use one of these.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41loMoF...
That's what I remember my parents using during my childhood. Not that we ate or drank much AT ALL in the car, but in a pinch.

I may let the natural dirt & dust accumulate sometimes, but I never have crap in my car, not even in the trunk. Whenever I apologize for my car being dirty, meaning it needs a wash & vacuum, people always laugh.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74953 Oct 19, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I remember my parents using during my childhood. Not that we ate or drank much AT ALL in the car, but in a pinch.
I may let the natural dirt & dust accumulate sometimes, but I never have crap in my car, not even in the trunk. Whenever I apologize for my car being dirty, meaning it needs a wash & vacuum, people always laugh.
Why do you feel the need to apologize? Ain't like you left trash in THEIR car.

Location hidden

#74954 Oct 19, 2012
From the CH live chat:

Canceled Wedding
Hi Carolyn, My daughter was supposed to get married the first weekend in November but, upon finding out about several affairs, she has canceled the wedding. My daughter is devastated, but has an excellent support system. However, we have issue with her ex-fiance's family. My family put down non-refundable deposits on numerous services like the venue, florist, photographer, etc. I think, given the circumstances of the split, her ex-fiance should reimburse us for the deposits. Her ex-fiance caused this wedding to be cancelled, and now he is just walking away, leaving thousands of dollars in his wake. My daughter is adopting the attitude of just wanting to get over him and move on, she would rather not get involved with his family. Since about half the deposits are mine, I do want to get involved. My son is a lawyer and told us that we have absolutely no legal recourse for this money and we should assume it is gone. I understand what my kids are saying, but it is hard for me to let this money go out of no fault of my family. Any advice?

A.
Carolyn Hax :

Pick your method--yoga, punching a pillow, throwing darts at a photo of the ex, Zumba, a cocktail at 4 pm instead of 5, a mock funeral service where you bury thousands in Monopoly money--and use it to bid farewell to the cash. Wanting people to behave as you want them to is a great way to waste a good chunk of your life. Better just to accept that your daughter is the luckiest person on earth right now, and that if this money is what it cost for her to reach this mountaintop, then it was well spent. Or well set on fire.

Besides, you don't want to get into the "out of no fault of my family," since, for example, your daughter may well have ignored signs she was with a cheater that could have helped her dump him before nonrefundable deposits were involved. I actually don't believe in such finger-pointing unless it's as part of a process of self-examination--but I'm putting it out there as a caution against such black-and-white, me-good-you-bad thinking.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74955 Oct 19, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>We have to use the roof bag strapped to the roof or we would have to take 2 cars.
Do you ever strap the dogs up there and ride Romney style?:D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min VetnorsGate 1,745,090
News 'It's just really strange': Who is beheading th... 19 min test 6
Trump is A 4 hr CrunchyBacon 581
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Julia 12,219
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 5 hr Julia 1,063
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr loose cannon 243,399
ms 13 8 hr test 8

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages