“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74875 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Lars, my new landlord, was telling me about his struggles to renovate the fourplex. It's a historical building, so he has to get everything approved by some historical review board. They fought him on putting in a security door on the front of the building (took him two years to get approval). THey fought him when he had to rebuild the porch -- they wanted him to use 100% natural pine, but he wanted to use some concrete and composite/resin products for their durability. You can't tell the difference really by looking at it from the sidewalk (I couldn't tell and Iwas at the front door). I figure, as long as it LOOKS appropriate, who cares what it's made of?
Those historic preservation folks can be very...persnickity.

We, as in my employer, has lock and powerhouse that is on the historic register, and when a brick wall started falling, they were very strict about what kind of brick we could use to repair it.

We wanted to change the layout of the bricks, they were mostly ornamental - white glazed, to make them more structurally sound, but we were not permitted to do that. Had to go back just they way they were. And of course, they don't make white glazed brick like that anymore, so we had to special order them, getting approval from the historic folks first, of course.

Meh. I see where they're coming from, but we should also try to update the materials, where possible, so the sh!t lasts another 100 years.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74876 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oklahoma has the highest native population, Minnesota is second. They are a very segregated people, still. It's not very often I see a native person in the cities.
North Carolina has the highest American Indian population in the East Coast. The estimated population figures for Native Americans in North Carolina (as of 2004) is 110,198. To date, North Carolina recognizes eight Native American tribal nations within its state borders:[17]

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians were federally recognized in 1868 and received state recognition in 1889. The Eastern Cherokee live in eastern Swain County, as well as Graham and Jackson counties, and have roughly 13,400 enrolled members, most of whom live on a reservation properly called the Qualla Boundary. The Reservation is slightly more than 56,000 acres (230 km˛), and is held in trust by the federal government specifically for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.

The Lumbee tribe, the largest in the state with 54,000 members, was recognized by the state in 1885. In 1956, Congress recognized the Lumbee but denied them benefits received by other federally recognized tribes. Since the 1980s, the Lumbee have been seeking full federal recognition. The Lumbee are concentrated chiefly in the southeastern portions of the state in Robeson, Scotland, Hoke and Cumberland counties.

The Haliwa-Saponi Tribe of Native Americans received state recognition in 1965. The tribe comprises a little more than 3,800 enrolled members who reside in northeastern North Carolina's Halifax and Warren counties.

The Waccamaw Siouan Indian Tribe received state recognition in 1971. The almost 2,000 members are located in the mid-Atlantic North Carolina counties of Bladen, and Columbus.

The Coharie Tribe first received state recognition in 1911. North Carolina rescinded recognition in 1913 but formally recognized the tribe in 1971. The population of 1,781 enrolled members is located in Sampson and Harnett counties.

The Sappony received state recognition in 1911 as the Indians of Person County. In 2003 they officially received state permission to change their name to the Sappony Tribe. They have 850 enrolled members.

The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation received state recognition in 2002. They have a population of 800 members who reside in Orange and Alamance counties.

The Meherrin are a tribe of Iroquoian-descent located primarily in rural northeastern Hertford, Bertie, and Gates counties, with a population of 557 enrolled members.

Only five states:(California, Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas), have larger Native American populations than North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#74877 Oct 18, 2012
All the Seminole's are millionaires.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oklahoma has the highest native population, Minnesota is second. They are a very segregated people, still. It's not very often I see a native person in the cities.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74878 Oct 18, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
I also don’t think the comparison is on point. I think a more appropriate comparison is “Lebensraum.” Would I walk around with a t-shirt saying Lebensraum, hell no.
I have no idea what that is, so it would have zero impact on me. I never enjoyed history as a student, so I have little care to continue my education ion my own in that respect.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#74879 Oct 18, 2012
Hi everybody. Just wanted to stop and say hello. I think I'm starting to catch my breath with school this quarter. "Think" being the operative word.

Yesterday was movie day, apparently. There was a film in each class. It's ok, I was still kinda tired in the morning, so I caught a little bit of a nap in the first two classes.:D

The third one was a rather graphic documentary about the Chilean regime under Pinochet and had a lot of real footage from the time.

It was primarily about the (mostly) mothers who'd lost their sons. While my situation doesn't compare to theirs (at least I *know*) it was still pretty hard to watch. I almost left about 1/2 way through it. I couldn't breathe.

I even had a note written out to hand to the teacher about why I was leaving, but I managed to stick it out. It did put me in a pretty fucked up mood for the rest of the day though.

It's supposed to be a lit class. <sigh>

Nothing new going on, same old crap, day in, day out... How are you guys all doing? I miss you.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74880 Oct 18, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are actually a fair amount of Native Americans in NC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee,_North_...
Cherokee, NC is beautiful if you've never been.
I have been there. Iis lovely. However it is the beginning of the Trail of Tears an a sad example .

Apart from that, have you taken your boys there? I used to vacation at a resort between there and Ashevilleup in the mountains. I took my girls there when they were 4 and 7. The Indian Village as impressive

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74881 Oct 18, 2012
squishymama wrote:
Meh. I see where they're coming from, but we should also try to update the materials, where possible, so the sh!t lasts another 100 years.
EXACTLY. Plus: Not every building makes sense to save. TAKE PICTURES. We've done work on buildings where we're putting in more efficient HVAC and plumbing but we can't disturb the historic features. huge pain in the butt. And because it costs more to do that, it's tough to get taxpayers to agree to budget increases to improve failing buildings.

I love good architecture. In a really good economy, I can see putting some taxpayer dollars toward it for public/government buildings. But I generally think government buildings should be nearly nonornamental, just basic, sturdy, long-lasting buildings. Take away the pomp and cirumstance stuff and make things energy saving and efficient, cost less to run, ergonomic, etc.

Location hidden

#74882 Oct 18, 2012
Today is my mom's 65th birthday! Happy birthday, Peg!

Neda, stay with me!

#74883 Oct 18, 2012
Hey cutie! Miss you too. Hey, get on FB and I can friend you. Oh wait....
well anyway, your still hot in my book, even if you are some kind of brainiac.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Hi everybody. Just wanted to stop and say hello. I think I'm starting to catch my breath with school this quarter. "Think" being the operative word.
Yesterday was movie day, apparently. There was a film in each class. It's ok, I was still kinda tired in the morning, so I caught a little bit of a nap in the first two classes.:D
The third one was a rather graphic documentary about the Chilean regime under Pinochet and had a lot of real footage from the time.
It was primarily about the (mostly) mothers who'd lost their sons. While my situation doesn't compare to theirs (at least I *know*) it was still pretty hard to watch. I almost left about 1/2 way through it. I couldn't breathe.
I even had a note written out to hand to the teacher about why I was leaving, but I managed to stick it out. It did put me in a pretty fucked up mood for the rest of the day though.
It's supposed to be a lit class. <sigh>
Nothing new going on, same old crap, day in, day out... How are you guys all doing? I miss you.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74884 Oct 18, 2012
Hi Mimi! We miss you too.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#74885 Oct 19, 2012

Location hidden

#74886 Oct 19, 2012
If Mimi would just drop out of school and get a real job, she'd have more time for US.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74887 Oct 19, 2012
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.

I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74888 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74889 Oct 19, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.
I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
It will change, Jess, but it happens slowly. Lok how long it took for just being gay to stop being something you could be blackmailed about.

Location hidden

#74890 Oct 19, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
I had to google to know who he is.

You're a wonderful person AND wonderful Republican!:)

Location hidden

#74891 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It will change, Jess, but it happens slowly. Lok how long it took for just being gay to stop being something you could be blackmailed about.
I think we have a couple more generations to go, but we've made a lot of progress.

Yesterday's ruling on DOMA made me happy.

Location hidden

#74892 Oct 19, 2012
Weekend! Plans, folks?

Tonight, taking Nick to my new place, we'll meet my landlords and I'll give them a check. I'll try to remember my tape measure so I can measure rooms and work out a plan as to what will go in each room. I'm thinking of putting the TV and computer in the "dining room" so they're not so viewable from the sidewalk.

Saturday, meeting my mom for shopping and lunch, and to give her her birthday gifts.

That's about it! Packing and cleaning!

Neda, stay with me!

#74893 Oct 19, 2012
Ha!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If Mimi would just drop out of school and get a real job, she'd have more time for US.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74894 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend! Plans, folks?
Tonight, taking Nick to my new place, we'll meet my landlords and I'll give them a check. I'll try to remember my tape measure so I can measure rooms and work out a plan as to what will go in each room. I'm thinking of putting the TV and computer in the "dining room" so they're not so viewable from the sidewalk.
Saturday, meeting my mom for shopping and lunch, and to give her her birthday gifts.
That's about it! Packing and cleaning!
If you have hardwood floors in teh new place, go to a janitorial supply store and invest in a wide dust mop with removable mop head. Those are washable and very effective for cat hair.

Also, hardwood floors transmit sound easily. Often just a rug under the sound making device(TV, steroo speakers, piano) is helpful.

Franco Sarto's clack on wood floors.

If you have had hardwood in an aparment before you know all this already. You don't need to worry about it in a house cause there is no one else downstairs of you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Right 1,126,754
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,398
Amy 10-24 16 min Pippa 6
Abby 10-23-14 20 min Sublime1 5
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 41 min Jonah1 50,630
Abby 10-24 44 min Sublime1 10
Uniosun Admission List (utme/de) 2014/2015 Rele... 1 hr Dr Lucky 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]