|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>\
Or "repost if you know somebody who has/had cancer". Well, since I've been on the planet Melmac for the last 35 years, I don't have to re-post that. "Re-post if you're against animal abuse." Hold on, let me stop beating Dexter for a second and I'll post it. My MIL does multiple of those, every day. Which is why she's blocked from my feed and I only check it every few days to make sure she's still alive.
Or the lists of "have you ever" and they include being in love, and everyone on the email list is over 30.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

squishymama wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/ opinion/granderson-common-sens e/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
He talks about many of the same things we brought up here.
But please, let's not bring it up again!
I love that a highly respected black journalist used the term "ghetto."

"My mother can certainly be rough around the edges at times, but she also taught me to have compassion for people who have been wronged. She taught me to empathize with those who have made mistakes. But most importantly, she taught me that if you act ghetto, you should expect some ghetto stuff to happen to you."
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Holocaust immediately makes me think of killing jews and concentration camps. Manifest Destiny makes me think of the USA expanding to the West coast.
Is the killing part of it in the forefront of your mind when the term comes up?
No.
The phrase was given other cultrural connotations after he historical expansion.

Thin skin political correctness at work
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I love that a highly respected black journalist used the term "ghetto."
"My mother can certainly be rough around the edges at times, but she also taught me to have compassion for people who have been wronged. She taught me to empathize with those who have made mistakes. But most importantly, she taught me that if you act ghetto, you should expect some ghetto stuff to happen to you."
I wonder how he deals with manifest destiny?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They kind of went hand and hand, Tonka.
I'm not denying that to achieve Manifest Destiny, there was killing. Just saying that I feel like in my history classes, that part was not really a focus. So little so that death is not something I immediately associate with the term. I have to stop and think for a moment to dig to the second layer. There's a level of disassociation.

When you think of the pyramids in Egypt, is the fact that slaves worked and died building it at the forefront of your mind? Or is that connection only made if you think a little more about it? Its the disassociation of the what from the how. The main focus of the lesson is on the greatness of the monuments, not on who died building them.

For me, at least, a shirt with the phrase Manifest Destiny , is as ofensive as a t-shirt with the pictures of a Pyramid.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Just saying that I feel like in my history classes, that part was not really a focus.
ďI shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.Ē

I too was taught manifest destiny in history class; however, I believe education to be a continual effort. I know far more now about what manifest destiny was actually about and the underlying ignorance that led to it. The people who advocated manifest destiny at that time knew people already occupied those lands. They just didnít care. They were seen as lesser beings. Thatís the way things were back then, and they were people of their times.

I donít think what we did to Native Americans is something that we should be proud of or something that should be celebrated, including the ignorant views that led us to slaughter them, steal their land, and cheat them. I also donít think that means we canít be proud of our nation as a whole. Iím sure many Native Americans feel the same as me.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> When you think of the pyramids in Egypt, is the fact that slaves worked and died building it at the forefront of your mind? Or is that connection only made if you think a little more about it? Its the disassociation of the what from the how. The main focus of the lesson is on the greatness of the monuments, not on who died building them.
For me, at least, a shirt with the phrase Manifest Destiny , is as ofensive as a t-shirt with the pictures of a Pyramid.
They actually donít believe the pyramids were built by slaves:

http://news.discovery.com/history/pyramids-to...

I also donít think the comparison is on point. I think a more appropriate comparison is ďLebensraum.Ē Would I walk around with a t-shirt saying Lebensraum, hell no.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Ange - you own the place you're in now, right? what are you planning on doing with it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

A swing with a built-in waterfall but you don't get wet.
http://www.wimp.com/waterfallswing/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Aisle Sitter wrote:
Ange - you own the place you're in now, right? what are you planning on doing with it?
Walking the hell away from it!

The building has gone downhill since riffraff have been buying units for $20K -$30K. Cigarette butts on the grounds, more dogs and people are picking up the poop. I recently did laundry in the basement laundry room (only one washer and dryer in there) and someone had spilled quite a lot of liquid laundry detergent on the washer lid, and just left it, so I cleaned it up (it had dried on at this point).

One owner on the first floor just last month used her good credit to get enough in loans from her credit union, bought my friendís unit (on the second floor) with cash, and is abandoning the unit she owns and still owes $120K on. Itís just not smart financial sense to keep paying when the values have gone down so far. So she has small loan payments that are significantly less than what her mortgage was.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

*people AREN'T picking up the poop

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

That sucks, Ang. The new place sounds cool, though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

I had no idea until just now wthat the song "Wide Awake" is by Katy Perry.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
That sucks, Ang. The new place sounds cool, though.
Yeah. I'd rather stay, but inertia isn't good, either.

Change is good!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Walking the hell away from it!
The building has gone downhill since riffraff have been buying units for $20K -$30K. Cigarette butts on the grounds, more dogs and people are picking up the poop. I recently did laundry in the basement laundry room (only one washer and dryer in there) and someone had spilled quite a lot of liquid laundry detergent on the washer lid, and just left it, so I cleaned it up (it had dried on at this point).
One owner on the first floor just last month used her good credit to get enough in loans from her credit union, bought my friendís unit (on the second floor) with cash, and is abandoning the unit she owns and still owes $120K on. Itís just not smart financial sense to keep paying when the values have gone down so far. So she has small loan payments that are significantly less than what her mortgage was.
It's a condo?

Won't that screw up your credit rating or are you doing a jingle key maneuver( sending the keys to the mortgage company)?

Won't the asociation come after you for the assessments?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

I freaking love moving, but I've never moved with other people. I think it would be considerably more complicated that way.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a condo?
Won't that screw up your credit rating or are you doing a jingle key maneuver( sending the keys to the mortgage company)?
Can't speak for MN but in FL, during the lowest low of the housing crisis, people were walking away with nothing except a ding on their credit score as a direct consequence. I think in Angela's case, and mine (with my house) and thousands of other people, walking away is the best business decision. FL law states that if it's your primary residence, they can't hit you for taxable income on the outstanding amount on the loan, meaning the ARE trying to get something out of the house flippers but leaving the innocent victims alone.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'll bet because it runs circles around that other crap she calls music... I *hate* her other stuff but I dig "Wide Awake."

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I really don't know any of her songs except for "California Gurls", but Lulu made me rent her movie and I have to reluctantly admit a little respect for her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a condo?
Yes, it's a condo. Yup, it'll screw with my credit rating, but I've accepted that. Once the bank is in control, they are responsible for all condo dues.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't know any of her songs except for "California Gurls", but Lulu made me rent her movie and I have to reluctantly admit a little respect for her.
I know the "last friday night" song, it's okay. I watched the video once. Never need to hear it or see it again. I'm just not a fan, typically, of bubble gum pop -- not that there's anything wrong with it. I did like that "firework" song mainly because the video was kind of cool, but I'm also not much for dance beat songs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,901 - 73,920 of97,411
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

116 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Heal Thyself 1,071,276
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 11 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,112
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,526
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 16 min TRD 67,522
Chicago Democrats a Protected Species on the Na... 28 min bensley reality 1
Alderman on violence in Chicago: 'We've got a w... 32 min bensley reality 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 38 min Stop Global Warming 45,436
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info