“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#74855 Oct 18, 2012
Ange - you own the place you're in now, right? what are you planning on doing with it?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74856 Oct 18, 2012
A swing with a built-in waterfall but you don't get wet.
http://www.wimp.com/waterfallswing/

Location hidden

#74857 Oct 18, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Ange - you own the place you're in now, right? what are you planning on doing with it?
Walking the hell away from it!

The building has gone downhill since riffraff have been buying units for $20K -$30K. Cigarette butts on the grounds, more dogs and people are picking up the poop. I recently did laundry in the basement laundry room (only one washer and dryer in there) and someone had spilled quite a lot of liquid laundry detergent on the washer lid, and just left it, so I cleaned it up (it had dried on at this point).

One owner on the first floor just last month used her good credit to get enough in loans from her credit union, bought my friendís unit (on the second floor) with cash, and is abandoning the unit she owns and still owes $120K on. Itís just not smart financial sense to keep paying when the values have gone down so far. So she has small loan payments that are significantly less than what her mortgage was.

Location hidden

#74858 Oct 18, 2012
*people AREN'T picking up the poop

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74859 Oct 18, 2012
That sucks, Ang. The new place sounds cool, though.

Location hidden

#74860 Oct 18, 2012
I had no idea until just now wthat the song "Wide Awake" is by Katy Perry.

Location hidden

#74861 Oct 18, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
That sucks, Ang. The new place sounds cool, though.
Yeah. I'd rather stay, but inertia isn't good, either.

Change is good!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74862 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Walking the hell away from it!
The building has gone downhill since riffraff have been buying units for $20K -$30K. Cigarette butts on the grounds, more dogs and people are picking up the poop. I recently did laundry in the basement laundry room (only one washer and dryer in there) and someone had spilled quite a lot of liquid laundry detergent on the washer lid, and just left it, so I cleaned it up (it had dried on at this point).
One owner on the first floor just last month used her good credit to get enough in loans from her credit union, bought my friendís unit (on the second floor) with cash, and is abandoning the unit she owns and still owes $120K on. Itís just not smart financial sense to keep paying when the values have gone down so far. So she has small loan payments that are significantly less than what her mortgage was.
It's a condo?

Won't that screw up your credit rating or are you doing a jingle key maneuver( sending the keys to the mortgage company)?

Won't the asociation come after you for the assessments?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74863 Oct 18, 2012
I freaking love moving, but I've never moved with other people. I think it would be considerably more complicated that way.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74864 Oct 18, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a condo?
Won't that screw up your credit rating or are you doing a jingle key maneuver( sending the keys to the mortgage company)?
Can't speak for MN but in FL, during the lowest low of the housing crisis, people were walking away with nothing except a ding on their credit score as a direct consequence. I think in Angela's case, and mine (with my house) and thousands of other people, walking away is the best business decision. FL law states that if it's your primary residence, they can't hit you for taxable income on the outstanding amount on the loan, meaning the ARE trying to get something out of the house flippers but leaving the innocent victims alone.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74865 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'll bet because it runs circles around that other crap she calls music... I *hate* her other stuff but I dig "Wide Awake."

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#74866 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I really don't know any of her songs except for "California Gurls", but Lulu made me rent her movie and I have to reluctantly admit a little respect for her.

Location hidden

#74867 Oct 18, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a condo?
Yes, it's a condo. Yup, it'll screw with my credit rating, but I've accepted that. Once the bank is in control, they are responsible for all condo dues.

Location hidden

#74868 Oct 18, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't know any of her songs except for "California Gurls", but Lulu made me rent her movie and I have to reluctantly admit a little respect for her.
I know the "last friday night" song, it's okay. I watched the video once. Never need to hear it or see it again. I'm just not a fan, typically, of bubble gum pop -- not that there's anything wrong with it. I did like that "firework" song mainly because the video was kind of cool, but I'm also not much for dance beat songs.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74869 Oct 18, 2012
"I donít think what we did to Native Americans is something that we should be proud of or something that should be celebrated, including the ignorant views that led us to slaughter them, steal their land, and cheat them. I also donít think that means we canít be proud of our nation as a whole. Iím sure many Native Americans feel the same as me."

Ask the Native Americans you work with or the one's in your neighborhood. Maybe they got over it. Maybe not. Pack a lunch looking for them though.

Location hidden

#74870 Oct 18, 2012
I'm so freaking bored at work right now. I've been online shopping for boots (DSW doesn't carry Clarks! oh no!), holiday cards...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#74871 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's a condo. Yup, it'll screw with my credit rating, but I've accepted that. Once the bank is in control, they are responsible for all condo dues.
yikes, well, good luck. i dont' know what we're going to do with our condo... underwater and our tenant has developed an inability to pay on time... so, we're working on figuring out what we;re going to do longer term and try not to let emotion play into it too much. doesn't help that we're baaaarely breakign even on a month-to-month basis, but add in the permit fees, extra insurance, clean up/refreshing costs put us in the red...
<sigh>

and i need a 'research project' of this nature like i need a hole in the head at this time... still helping my mom and my gramma, so that's a lot to think & worry aobut for the time being.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74872 Oct 18, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
"I donít think what we did to Native Americans is something that we should be proud of or something that should be celebrated, including the ignorant views that led us to slaughter them, steal their land, and cheat them. I also donít think that means we canít be proud of our nation as a whole. Iím sure many Native Americans feel the same as me."
Ask the Native Americans you work with or the one's in your neighborhood. Maybe they got over it. Maybe not. Pack a lunch looking for them though.
There are actually a fair amount of Native Americans in NC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee,_North_...

Cherokee, NC is beautiful if you've never been.

Location hidden

#74873 Oct 18, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
yikes, well, good luck. i dont' know what we're going to do with our condo... underwater and our tenant has developed an inability to pay on time... so, we're working on figuring out what we;re going to do longer term and try not to let emotion play into it too much. doesn't help that we're baaaarely breakign even on a month-to-month basis, but add in the permit fees, extra insurance, clean up/refreshing costs put us in the red...
<sigh>
and i need a 'research project' of this nature like i need a hole in the head at this time... still helping my mom and my gramma, so that's a lot to think & worry aobut for the time being.
Lars, my new landlord, was telling me about his struggles to renovate the fourplex. It's a historical building, so he has to get everything approved by some historical review board. They fought him on putting in a security door on the front of the building (took him two years to get approval). THey fought him when he had to rebuild the porch -- they wanted him to use 100% natural pine, but he wanted to use some concrete and composite/resin products for their durability. You can't tell the difference really by looking at it from the sidewalk (I couldn't tell and Iwas at the front door). I figure, as long as it LOOKS appropriate, who cares what it's made of?

Location hidden

#74874 Oct 18, 2012
Oklahoma has the highest native population, Minnesota is second. They are a very segregated people, still. It's not very often I see a native person in the cities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,124,619
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min Who 47,477
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min jacques Ottawa 179,253
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 21 min Hatti_Hollerand 649
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 23 min Boy G 50,583
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 31 min TRD 68,635
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 54 min Frijoles 69,959
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]