Topix Chitown Regulars

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74908 Oct 19, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, progress. When you actually have to specify if a wedding is for two men, two women, three midgets and a horse, a man marrying a car, a brother, sister, and a nephew...
Even my kids are smart enough to know you can't marry a horse, so please, be as smart as my kids and stop saying that. It's stupid and you know it.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74909 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, that sucks. The only time mine bit was when I put my finger in their face and they were expecting food instead. Not even sure they ever even drew blood. Once he's bigger, he'll be all neck, so if you're holding him around the middle and he freaks, it's harder for him to get you. I guess just don't sneak up on him...
I also only had females (thank goodness, because it is hard to tell when they're babies), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
The book I read said that males are generally the more tame gender. <mimi shrug> They only had males at the store.

I guess I'll just have to get out my leather gloves for awhile, since I'm pretty sure the don't make guinea pig muzzles.
:D

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74910 Oct 19, 2012
I take that back. My feisty redheaded one bit me once *hard* in that webbing between my thumb and finger. I was probably trying to trim her nails or something.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74911 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we spent the day picnicking where the river splits into two and they each surround an island that has a big park with big trees, picnic tables, and grills. The rivers are very gentle and the kids could play in the river without much supervision. It was great. I can't wait to go back.
The geology in the area also yields sapphires and rubies. There are roadside sluices where you buy a bucket of dirt and you sluice to see what gems are in there. It gets addictive.

I have a sapphire about an inch long and a quarter inch in diameter that "I" found. The girls had a grand time- it was tough to leave... Just one more bucket, mom, please.

If you do that, the earth contain a lot of iron ore which stains clothes. Use Barkeepers Friend ( oxalic acid in a kitchen cleanser form) sprinkled on teh clothes and teh stains come right out.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74912 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we spent the day picnicking where the river splits into two and they each surround an island that has a big park with big trees, picnic tables, and grills. The rivers are very gentle and the kids could play in the river without much supervision. It was great. I can't wait to go back.
There is-- or was-- a dude ranch in the mountains called Cataloochee Ranch. It was a converted farmstead. We have gone tehre 3 or 4 times. They have horses and trail rides

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74913 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
Tonight: Chill with Bambi. She worked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. So I haven't seen her much this week.
What does she do again?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74914 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I take that back. My feisty redheaded one bit me once *hard* in that webbing between my thumb and finger. I was probably trying to trim her nails or something.
I had no idea you had to trim their nails! duh!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74915 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
Also, hardwood floors transmit sound easily.
Actually, a lot depends on the type of wood and how it was installed. Friend's old house, you could loudly hear every step his dogs took becauseof the sound of their nails clacking on the floor. New house, the sound is a lot more muffled. Can barely hear it.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74916 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea you had to trim their nails! duh!
Yes, and it sucks when the nails are dark.

Er, I guess that's true for any animal. But at least my dog nails get shorter when I walk them often.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74917 Oct 19, 2012
Also, screw you, Words With Friends. My phone is muted, but I'm in a meeting and threw a quick word out there and the stupid thing started blasting a AmEx ad or something.

Guess that's what I get for not buying the full ad-less version.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74918 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What does she do again?
She's just a CNA right now and is planning on getting her nursing degree. She will start taking classes in the spring.

She works the night shift 7 PM to 7 AM at a hospital (she was doing home health and a nursing home over the summer, but got hired at the hospital, which is hard to do since she just started in June).

So, I pretty much come home from work and she leaves. It works well, because she can come home and sleep until the boys get home a little after 3.

She really likes working in that field. She likes it a lot better than teaching. She'd like to eventually be a nurse anesthetist. If we didn't have kids, she would probably go to med school (she is wishing she had done that instead of go into teaching). She graduated with highest distinction from college, and would have done well.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74919 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea you had to trim their nails! duh!
Yeah, not really looking forward to that, with the biting and all.

I'm pondering getting some type of non-skid stuff, like for steps, and putting it on his ramp that lead up to his food platform. He'll file his nails on every trip!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#74920 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If Mimi would just drop out of school and get a real job, she'd have more time for US.
Right? Then I could just spend all day surreptitiously reading Topix from my desk. <shudder> That word, "desk" gives me the creeps. I am SO not the corporate sit at a desk type. Mad respect to all those that can, but me...I gotta be free...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74921 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The geology in the area also yields sapphires and rubies. There are roadside sluices where you buy a bucket of dirt and you sluice to see what gems are in there. It gets addictive.
I have a sapphire about an inch long and a quarter inch in diameter that "I" found. The girls had a grand time- it was tough to leave... Just one more bucket, mom, please.
If you do that, the earth contain a lot of iron ore which stains clothes. Use Barkeepers Friend ( oxalic acid in a kitchen cleanser form) sprinkled on teh clothes and teh stains come right out.
That sounds like fun.

We have that crappy red soil by us too. I don't know how anything grows in it. It turns about as hard as concrete when it hasn't rained for awhile. I miss the feet if black earth back home...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74922 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on the first floor, thankfully.
My friend had a big house with hardwood floors and I would get there early enough on a Friday night to be there when she was cleaning a bit before people came over, and she got out the school janitor style dustmop -- long, fat -- and went through the whole place in a snap. I totally plan on doing that -- there's a janitor suppply place downtown St. Paul where I buy my spray bottles for cleaning solutions.
I really like the swiffer vacuum for my hardwood floors. It does double duty with the sucking and the swiffing, and I know with pets you can use all the help you can get.

We also have a pair of slippers with removable, washable microfiber bottoms. It's kind of fun to slip around the house and be cleaning at the same time.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74923 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and it sucks when the nails are dark.
Er, I guess that's true for any animal. But at least my dog nails get shorter when I walk them often.
Yeah, it's the concrete sidewalks that do that. Our vet (waaay back when I had a dog) recommended we play fetch with her on cement as a way to keep her nails short. She HATED getting them trimmed.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74924 Oct 19, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, not really looking forward to that, with the biting and all.
I'm pondering getting some type of non-skid stuff, like for steps, and putting it on his ramp that lead up to his food platform. He'll file his nails on every trip!
Good idea!

I always meant to buy a big, flat, pourous landscaping brick and put it in their cage as a platform for fresh veggies to wear down their nails.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74925 Oct 19, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, not really looking forward to that, with the biting and all.
I'm pondering getting some type of non-skid stuff, like for steps, and putting it on his ramp that lead up to his food platform. He'll file his nails on every trip!
I will just pass on what I do with my cats: I am obsessive about clipping their claws, starting as kittens -- I check them at least twice a week. They get used to it and get complacent. Mia cooperates but whines now and then. Rose purrs. The more you can desensitize them to such things early on, I think it works out well in the long run.

now for rodent type animals, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74926 Oct 19, 2012
Are you ready to be a mom? A quiz:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-221...

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74927 Oct 19, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Also, screw you, Words With Friends. My phone is muted, but I'm in a meeting and threw a quick word out there and the stupid thing started blasting a AmEx ad or something.
Guess that's what I get for not buying the full ad-less version.
that sucks! Topix was doing that to me at my desk, that's why I switched to Firefox where Flash doesn't automatically load or whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Cheech the Conser... 1,432,045
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min Union woman 61,477
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Dr Guru 225,588
News More Cops Will Worsen, Not Help, Chicago's Viol... 38 min former democrat 5
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 3 hr GEORGIA 2,065
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr GEORGIA 3,186
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr RACE 9,533

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages