Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74882 Oct 18, 2012
Today is my mom's 65th birthday! Happy birthday, Peg!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#74883 Oct 18, 2012
Hey cutie! Miss you too. Hey, get on FB and I can friend you. Oh wait....
well anyway, your still hot in my book, even if you are some kind of brainiac.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Hi everybody. Just wanted to stop and say hello. I think I'm starting to catch my breath with school this quarter. "Think" being the operative word.
Yesterday was movie day, apparently. There was a film in each class. It's ok, I was still kinda tired in the morning, so I caught a little bit of a nap in the first two classes.:D
The third one was a rather graphic documentary about the Chilean regime under Pinochet and had a lot of real footage from the time.
It was primarily about the (mostly) mothers who'd lost their sons. While my situation doesn't compare to theirs (at least I *know*) it was still pretty hard to watch. I almost left about 1/2 way through it. I couldn't breathe.
I even had a note written out to hand to the teacher about why I was leaving, but I managed to stick it out. It did put me in a pretty fucked up mood for the rest of the day though.
It's supposed to be a lit class. <sigh>
Nothing new going on, same old crap, day in, day out... How are you guys all doing? I miss you.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74884 Oct 18, 2012
Hi Mimi! We miss you too.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#74885 Oct 19, 2012

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74886 Oct 19, 2012
If Mimi would just drop out of school and get a real job, she'd have more time for US.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74887 Oct 19, 2012
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.

I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74888 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74889 Oct 19, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.
I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
It will change, Jess, but it happens slowly. Lok how long it took for just being gay to stop being something you could be blackmailed about.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74890 Oct 19, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
So, Sam Champion is engaged to his boyfriend and some stations have pulled references to it from their websites and FB pages. It makes me sad that people still have to "come out" with regards to their sexual orientation and that some news outlets still find this news worthy of censoring.
I really believe that if we improve education in this country, everything else will follow. Children are not born bigoted or racist. They are taught it or come to those conclusions because they are ignorant.
I had to google to know who he is.

You're a wonderful person AND wonderful Republican!:)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74891 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It will change, Jess, but it happens slowly. Lok how long it took for just being gay to stop being something you could be blackmailed about.
I think we have a couple more generations to go, but we've made a lot of progress.

Yesterday's ruling on DOMA made me happy.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74892 Oct 19, 2012
Weekend! Plans, folks?

Tonight, taking Nick to my new place, we'll meet my landlords and I'll give them a check. I'll try to remember my tape measure so I can measure rooms and work out a plan as to what will go in each room. I'm thinking of putting the TV and computer in the "dining room" so they're not so viewable from the sidewalk.

Saturday, meeting my mom for shopping and lunch, and to give her her birthday gifts.

That's about it! Packing and cleaning!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#74893 Oct 19, 2012
Ha!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If Mimi would just drop out of school and get a real job, she'd have more time for US.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74894 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend! Plans, folks?
Tonight, taking Nick to my new place, we'll meet my landlords and I'll give them a check. I'll try to remember my tape measure so I can measure rooms and work out a plan as to what will go in each room. I'm thinking of putting the TV and computer in the "dining room" so they're not so viewable from the sidewalk.
Saturday, meeting my mom for shopping and lunch, and to give her her birthday gifts.
That's about it! Packing and cleaning!
If you have hardwood floors in teh new place, go to a janitorial supply store and invest in a wide dust mop with removable mop head. Those are washable and very effective for cat hair.

Also, hardwood floors transmit sound easily. Often just a rug under the sound making device(TV, steroo speakers, piano) is helpful.

Franco Sarto's clack on wood floors.

If you have had hardwood in an aparment before you know all this already. You don't need to worry about it in a house cause there is no one else downstairs of you

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74895 Oct 19, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend! Plans, folks?
Good morning!

No solid plans tonight, probably will pick up Thai takeout from the place across the street with my mom. Serenity now... I remember why she never stays with me. Discreet drinking on my part will be involved.

Tomorrow: morning errands, football watching, and a friend's birthday dinner. Non-discreet drinking will be involved.

Sunday: church, learning how to make my grandmother's stuffed pepper recipe, possibly dinner with a friend and her mom, the four of us (we've done this mom & daughter dinner a couple of times before).

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74896 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Apart from that, have you taken your boys there? I used to vacation at a resort between there and Ashevilleup in the mountains. I took my girls there when they were 4 and 7. The Indian Village as impressive
Yes, we spent the day picnicking where the river splits into two and they each surround an island that has a big park with big trees, picnic tables, and grills. The rivers are very gentle and the kids could play in the river without much supervision. It was great. I can't wait to go back.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74897 Oct 19, 2012
Hi Mimi.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74898 Oct 19, 2012
Tonight: Chill with Bambi. She worked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. So I haven't seen her much this week.

Tomorrow: Finish getting my computer set up (I reformatted it last week because it was so buggy). Then I'll have a computer to help my cousin file for a trademark for her cancer charity (she is younger than me and had breast cancer, mastectomy, but is cancer free). She is currently using money she raised to help another woman who has cancer with her medical bills.

Then at night, Bambi and I are going out alone to an Indian restaurant for dinner.

Sunday: Chill and watch football and do some yard work. Exciting, I know.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74899 Oct 19, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have hardwood floors in teh new place, go to a janitorial supply store and invest in a wide dust mop with removable mop head. Those are washable and very effective for cat hair.
Also, hardwood floors transmit sound easily. Often just a rug under the sound making device(TV, steroo speakers, piano) is helpful.
Franco Sarto's clack on wood floors.
If you have had hardwood in an aparment before you know all this already. You don't need to worry about it in a house cause there is no one else downstairs of you
I'm on the first floor, thankfully.

My friend had a big house with hardwood floors and I would get there early enough on a Friday night to be there when she was cleaning a bit before people came over, and she got out the school janitor style dustmop -- long, fat -- and went through the whole place in a snap. I totally plan on doing that -- there's a janitor suppply place downtown St. Paul where I buy my spray bottles for cleaning solutions.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74900 Oct 19, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning!
No solid plans tonight, probably will pick up Thai takeout from the place across the street with my mom. Serenity now... I remember why she never stays with me. Discreet drinking on my part will be involved.
Heh. I have been there.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74901 Oct 19, 2012
Tonight: local pro hockey team's opening night. No drinking, since I'm on the diet. :-/ Tomorrow, I have the whole day and the whole house to myself, as J's taking a day trip with his friend. Hockey again at night, *will* be drinking because it's cheat night. With calories, not cheating on J. J's bringing SIL back (yaaaay...) because she has a doctor's appointment on Monday, so we're going to carve/paint pumpkins on Sunday. Playing hockey Sunday night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,264,071
News Lollapalooza day two marked by angst, apathy-an... 9 min chimpcago 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min Jacques Ottawa 194,648
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 54,336
Please SUBSCRIBE to my YOUTUBE channel for awes... 1 hr The Cloud 1
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 6 hr No8isClassic 8
Can't these people do better? 6 hr Magonigol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages