Comments
73,881 - 73,900 of 97,948 Comments Last updated 11 hrs ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74835 Oct 18, 2012
Squishy, have you heard about/seen the video of manly men singing the theme to the Little Mermaid? I guess the guys who made it said it was because they realized they and other dads had to download princess songs to their mobile devices, for their young daughters.

http://moms.today.com/_news/2012/10/15/144390...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74836 Oct 18, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion /gap-pulls-manifest-destiny-t- shirt-gets-history-025900453.h tml
Does this offend anyone?
Intellectually, I understand why its offensive, but I don't have the same kind of mental association with this term as I do with, say, holocaust. I was either asleep in history class or my lessons were sanitized. My recollection of learning about manifest destiny in school is more about the fact that we expanded west, than about how we did it(slaughtering native americans).
Holocaust immediately makes me think of killing jews and concentration camps. Manifest Destiny makes me think of the USA expanding to the West coast.
Is the killing part of it in the forefront of your mind when the term comes up?
Not at all. I'd have had to look it up to remember exactly what it was about. Blown way out of proportion for a shirt probably next to nobody would buy.

Location hidden

#74837 Oct 18, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
My MIL just posted this picture on FB that says "The soul of a child can cure any illness. Repost if you love your kids."
Really? Well, what are we wasting all this money on cancer and AIDS research for? Bring me all the souls of children!
I can't stand that stupid "repost if you love your kids" type stuff. So if I think it's lame or I just don't want to repost it, I DON'T love my kids? Dumb.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74838 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Squishy, have you heard about/seen the video of manly men singing the theme to the Little Mermaid? I guess the guys who made it said it was because they realized they and other dads had to download princess songs to their mobile devices, for their young daughters.
Squeee! I just sent that to my friend who just had his first baby, a girl.

She got whisked up to Chicago for a possible liver problem (she's okay) and he posted pics from her room, which overlooks Water Tower Place (big mall, for my non-locals). I told him he'd best get to American Girl Place and buy her a doll, because she's like a week old already. Next day, he sends me a pic from inside AGP. I told him it was his first, but hardly his last visit there.

He's going to be a good dad.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74839 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't stand that stupid "repost if you love your kids" type stuff. So if I think it's lame or I just don't want to repost it, I DON'T love my kids? Dumb.
\
Or "repost if you know somebody who has/had cancer". Well, since I've been on the planet Melmac for the last 35 years, I don't have to re-post that. "Re-post if you're against animal abuse." Hold on, let me stop beating Dexter for a second and I'll post it. My MIL does multiple of those, every day. Which is why she's blocked from my feed and I only check it every few days to make sure she's still alive.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74840 Oct 18, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>\
Or "repost if you know somebody who has/had cancer". Well, since I've been on the planet Melmac for the last 35 years, I don't have to re-post that. "Re-post if you're against animal abuse." Hold on, let me stop beating Dexter for a second and I'll post it. My MIL does multiple of those, every day. Which is why she's blocked from my feed and I only check it every few days to make sure she's still alive.
You are cracking me up!

And I hate those re-post things too. And I still sometimes get the chain emails where you're supposed to forward the sentiment about friendship to everyone, including the person you got the email from. Ugh.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#74841 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'll have to listen when I get home, but I can unequivocably state that Dickie has no princess songs on his mobile devices. He just doesn't roll like that.

He'd rather try and turn them on to something old or something really new. We are all totally into deadmou5 right now. Even though one Lulu's favorite songs on the new album has some quesionable lyrical content. I don't think she even really hears the words, tho, so I'm trying not to make a big deal about it.

Evanston IL

#74842 Oct 18, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Squeee! I just sent that to my friend who just had his first baby, a girl.
She got whisked up to Chicago for a possible liver problem (she's okay) and he posted pics from her room, which overlooks Water Tower Place (big mall, for my non-locals). I told him he'd best get to American Girl Place and buy her a doll, because she's like a week old already. Next day, he sends me a pic from inside AGP. I told him it was his first, but hardly his last visit there.
He's going to be a good dad.
They're at the new Children's hospital, right around the corner from my office.

I've heard nothing but good things about it, which good for a mom with a daredevil for a daughter.
:D

Evanston IL

#74843 Oct 18, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
And I hate those re-post things too. And I still sometimes get the chain emails where you're supposed to forward the sentiment about friendship to everyone, including the person you got the email from. Ugh.
Me too.

I didn't subcribe to the chain mail mentality in junior high, I'm sure as sh!t not going to now that I'm almost 45 years old.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74844 Oct 18, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
They're at the new Children's hospital, right around the corner from my office.
I've heard nothing but good things about it, which good for a mom with a daredevil for a daughter.
:D
Yeah, sounds like she's in great hands. They're pretty impressed. She's still there, but it's all precautionary, since it was a risky pregnancy anyway. It's my friend whose water broke 6 weeks early, but since there was no infection and no labor, they let her chill for 13 days before delivering.

Evanston IL

#74845 Oct 18, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/opinion/grander...

He talks about many of the same things we brought up here.

But please, let's not bring it up again!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74846 Oct 18, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
My recollection of learning about manifest destiny in school is more about the fact that we expanded west, than about how we did it(slaughtering native americans).
They kind of went hand and hand, Tonka.

I can see how some might find that offensive, especially Native Americans.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#74847 Oct 18, 2012
Yes, I actually remember learning this in HS, and my teacher gave a very honest and balanced lessons on the rhetoric vs the reality of what it meant
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion /gap-pulls-manifest-destiny-t- shirt-gets-history-025900453.h tml
Does this offend anyone?
Intellectually, I understand why its offensive, but I don't have the same kind of mental association with this term as I do with, say, holocaust. I was either asleep in history class or my lessons were sanitized. My recollection of learning about manifest destiny in school is more about the fact that we expanded west, than about how we did it(slaughtering native americans).
Holocaust immediately makes me think of killing jews and concentration camps. Manifest Destiny makes me think of the USA expanding to the West coast.

Evanston IL

#74848 Oct 18, 2012
Oh, how I wish I had a fence!

http://celebrate.today.com/_news/2012/10/17/1... |utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=refe rral|utmcct=/forum/chicago/TI7 DSM78U5JOOMB8O/p3690&__utm v=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnb c%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Conte nt=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostna me=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit% 20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%2 0to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=11034 3429

Boy, that url is long. Hope it worked!

Location hidden

#74849 Oct 18, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>\
Or the lists of "have you ever" and they include being in love, and everyone on the email list is over 30.

Location hidden

#74850 Oct 18, 2012
squishymama wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/ opinion/granderson-common-sens e/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
He talks about many of the same things we brought up here.
But please, let's not bring it up again!
I love that a highly respected black journalist used the term "ghetto."

"My mother can certainly be rough around the edges at times, but she also taught me to have compassion for people who have been wronged. She taught me to empathize with those who have made mistakes. But most importantly, she taught me that if you act ghetto, you should expect some ghetto stuff to happen to you."
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74851 Oct 18, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
No.
The phrase was given other cultrural connotations after he historical expansion.

Thin skin political correctness at work
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74852 Oct 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I love that a highly respected black journalist used the term "ghetto."
"My mother can certainly be rough around the edges at times, but she also taught me to have compassion for people who have been wronged. She taught me to empathize with those who have made mistakes. But most importantly, she taught me that if you act ghetto, you should expect some ghetto stuff to happen to you."
I wonder how he deals with manifest destiny?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74853 Oct 18, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They kind of went hand and hand, Tonka.
I'm not denying that to achieve Manifest Destiny, there was killing. Just saying that I feel like in my history classes, that part was not really a focus. So little so that death is not something I immediately associate with the term. I have to stop and think for a moment to dig to the second layer. There's a level of disassociation.

When you think of the pyramids in Egypt, is the fact that slaves worked and died building it at the forefront of your mind? Or is that connection only made if you think a little more about it? Its the disassociation of the what from the how. The main focus of the lesson is on the greatness of the monuments, not on who died building them.

For me, at least, a shirt with the phrase Manifest Destiny , is as ofensive as a t-shirt with the pictures of a Pyramid.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74854 Oct 18, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Just saying that I feel like in my history classes, that part was not really a focus.
ďI shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.Ē

I too was taught manifest destiny in history class; however, I believe education to be a continual effort. I know far more now about what manifest destiny was actually about and the underlying ignorance that led to it. The people who advocated manifest destiny at that time knew people already occupied those lands. They just didnít care. They were seen as lesser beings. Thatís the way things were back then, and they were people of their times.

I donít think what we did to Native Americans is something that we should be proud of or something that should be celebrated, including the ignorant views that led us to slaughter them, steal their land, and cheat them. I also donít think that means we canít be proud of our nation as a whole. Iím sure many Native Americans feel the same as me.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> When you think of the pyramids in Egypt, is the fact that slaves worked and died building it at the forefront of your mind? Or is that connection only made if you think a little more about it? Its the disassociation of the what from the how. The main focus of the lesson is on the greatness of the monuments, not on who died building them.
For me, at least, a shirt with the phrase Manifest Destiny , is as ofensive as a t-shirt with the pictures of a Pyramid.
They actually donít believe the pyramids were built by slaves:

http://news.discovery.com/history/pyramids-to...

I also donít think the comparison is on point. I think a more appropriate comparison is ďLebensraum.Ē Would I walk around with a t-shirt saying Lebensraum, hell no.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 59 min the wandering girl 4,681
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr NMx 1,100,983
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,662
Ping G20 Irons Compared With Cheap G15 Irons (May '12) 2 hr lucy 2
chief keef 3 hr sd 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr voice of peace 68,393
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 69,030
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr LRS 177,461
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE