|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Jess:

With my ex, he loves cooking so he normally made dinner but I cleaned up. With Jasper, we took turns making the phone calls for takeout.
;)

No kids in either scenario though so this probably doesn't help much.
I was asking everyone :)

When my husband and I first got married, he assumed that I would cook every night because I was the wife. I hate cooking.

Like I said, around here lots of relationships still fall into very traditional gender roles in the house (at least when we get to talking). I have learned not to assume that the rest of the country is like central Jersey, though :)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I like when the younger one does stuff sooner and faster than the first sibling because he has a peer there modeling the behavior for him.
M is like that... he has mastersed the mechanics of eating better than A, and i think he eats a better variety than A too. M has been quite the observer...

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

housing poll:
apartment until 9 months old, then the same house until i got married. moved in w/ hubby then, and been in this house for 4 years. all in the chicago area.

cooking poll:
i do most of the cooking, but there are a few meals that hubby can fix. soem days i'm up for cooking but not making a decision. but lately, i think we've been eating out or having drive through/take out more than we cook.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).
2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.
6204 13 years
6206 2
1808 2
college 3
3343 2
5723 5
721 1/4
7428 3
7361 4
1291 4
1799 24

1 country, 1 state; with the exception of college , all those addresses are within about 15 miles of each other

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

cooking- I like to cook and often made a large amount of something on weekend so we can eat it over the week. Husband does some basics, most of which don't entice me, so I scrounge in the fridge

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!:)
I'm excited. When I moved here, I was so happy to be out of a fixer upper and into somethign FINISHED and contemporary. now I"m going back to fixer upper and 1906. I prefer that.
Sounds neat. Do you have a dining room table?
My condo was in a six flat. The dining room was the width of the apartment. It was like a half basketball court with the wood floors.

Is there a fire place?

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds neat. Do you have a dining room table?
My condo was in a six flat. The dining room was the width of the apartment. It was like a half basketball court with the wood floors.
Is there a fire place?
I don't have a dining table! I left my vintage,*valuable* art-deco 1930s kitchen table (excellent shape, with four matching chairs) behind at my house for the buyers (the legs didn't fold in and it was going to be a real bitch getting it out and then into my new condo).

I have a folding card table right now. I'm buying a new couch. I probably will get a dining table at some point.

Mostly, I'm happy that this solves my piano problem!:) I can easily move it into the new place!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Oh, no fireplace.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

I have always done the cooking. Just a carry over from when I was single, I never liked frozen foods and always try to prepare fresh over even canned veggies. But I do have a few cans of peas, because I hardly ever see fresh in the store.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).
2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.
Moved 0 times as a kid, my dad still lives in my childhood home. Then I had two apartments in Bloomington, a house in Normal, and now *our* house in Bloomington. One state, one country ('Murica!).

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, I'm with Bill Cosby, but I also see the long-term effects of failed welfare policy, rampant racism in the institutions in the South (they're better, for sure, but still have a long ways to go), and I think it's about black adults who've done well for themselves getting involved. Black youth don't want or need whitey coming into their schools and telling them they can be all they can be. They resent it. I would resent MEN treating me the way we sometimes patronize blacks.
At a certain point in time, tho, instead of resenting everyone for past grievances you have to push on. Some black folks act like they have a monopoly on being mistreated. Thatís not true. Jews were treated horribly. Gentile only signs were once common place. Look at them now? They generally are very successful. They run Hollywood. Heck, look at Israel. Itís very successful. Sure the U.S. has supported them with money, just as we have tried to do with the black community. Israel took that money and made something of itself. Many folks in the black community have taken welfare and used it just to get by.

Of course these are generalizations. All the black folks in my family and those I hang with donít meet this stereotype, but that doesnít change the fact that there are SO MANY who do. Barely half of black males are even graduating high school. WTF is that? Of course you are going to, as a race, have lower unemployment, lower wages, lower everything if as a race your high school graduation rates are so much lower than that of other races. And again, black people are not the only people who have encountered discrimination. Why hasnít it held Jews and Asians back, not to mention the Irish.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>This really has to come from within the communities, with some help from the outside.
I completely agree, but the black caucus and many of the leaders in the black community donít see it that way. They think it is the governmentís job to do more and more for them and more than they do for other folks in general. Many of them think itís everyone elseís fault that they, as a race, arenít on par with other races when you look at many of the statistics. This mentality that others should have to pick you up hasnít worked out so well. Sure some folks have taken advantage of it, but I happen to think those folks would be successful even without it.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>But no one really wants an outsider to tell them how he should be doing things better. Just like you get to complain about your parents, you're not cool with everybody else trashing your parents.(you being the generic everyone you)
That mentality is something I could do without. I want all children to be given a chance in life, regardless of the color of their skin. I donít love my white nieces and nephews better than the ones who have black skin. I feel no different towards children in America in general. Itís not about us versus them, and there is no reason why a black child should not look at a successful white person and think hey, I want to achieve as much as he has and I can. That's not to say its not important to have black role models.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Is this guy bad as Michael Vick? Peta calls it a massacre!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/damien-h...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Is this guy bad as Michael Vick? Peta calls it a massacre!
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/damien-h...
Not as bad as Michael Vick but still loathsome and I would like to smack the crap out of him.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/gap-pulls-mani...

Does this offend anyone?

Intellectually, I understand why its offensive, but I don't have the same kind of mental association with this term as I do with, say, holocaust. I was either asleep in history class or my lessons were sanitized. My recollection of learning about manifest destiny in school is more about the fact that we expanded west, than about how we did it(slaughtering native americans).

Holocaust immediately makes me think of killing jews and concentration camps. Manifest Destiny makes me think of the USA expanding to the West coast.

Is the killing part of it in the forefront of your mind when the term comes up?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Cooking--it really varies, but no way in hell am I going to be responsible for that every night. I didn't even go get take-out after SIL got her license.:-D

We were getting pretty lazy and ordering out a lot, but we've gone back to low carb as of Monday, so we'll be cooking at home a lot more. But, with only 2 of us, a crock pot full of whatever will last us many meals. J made bbq chicken on Tuesday and we'll probably have that again tonight.

I'm currently at my second heaviest ever. O_o. That Java training was rough, coupled with an ankle injury last month, and I just stopped caring and gained 10-12 lbs. But, low carb, for me at least works quickly. It's day 4 and my appetite is already way decreased and my energy is way up.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
Pre-18, moved once.

college years: I think I moved once a year for 6 years, or at least it seems that way.(And I'm not including the time I was indigent and sleeping on friend's floors.) Also worked at the Grand Canyon during this time.

Post-college: 10 times.

3 states

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
For those of you who are/were married/living with someone, who was usually responsible for dinner? Most of the women that I know work, but they end up cooking dinner, too (especially if there are kids in the family) most nights.
If both parents are working full-time, one needs to make sure that they are home to cook dinner for the kids, right? Since I don't really want to start crap on FB, I'll ask how y'all work things out in your households.
Generally Dickie does the cooking.

I really hate to cook and often joke that if it was up to me, I'd be like Cher in "Mermaids". She only could cook things that you eat with your fingers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion /gap-pulls-manifest-destiny-t- shirt-gets-history-025900453.h tml
Does this offend anyone?
Intellectually, I understand why its offensive, but I don't have the same kind of mental association with this term as I do with, say, holocaust. I was either asleep in history class or my lessons were sanitized. My recollection of learning about manifest destiny in school is more about the fact that we expanded west, than about how we did it(slaughtering native americans).
Holocaust immediately makes me think of killing jews and concentration camps. Manifest Destiny makes me think of the USA expanding to the West coast.
Is the killing part of it in the forefront of your mind when the term comes up?
Honestly, it was so long ago (learning about it) that I probably wouldn't be able to answer "What was the Manifest Destiny" in a quiz.

"Dear Mark McNairy: The term "Manifest Destiny" does not mean what you think it means.(Also? Your junior high school history teacher is weeping right now.)"

That's presumptuous. You don't know how his junior high teacher taught this lesson.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

My MIL just posted this picture on FB that says "The soul of a child can cure any illness. Repost if you love your kids."

Really? Well, what are we wasting all this money on cancer and AIDS research for? Bring me all the souls of children!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,881 - 73,900 of96,071
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE