Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74795 Oct 17, 2012
And I have to brag: only $800 rent for two bedrooms, separate formal dining room, big kitchen (which he is redoing to match the other units), I can choose any color paint I want for the walls, I control the heat for all the units.

No garage, but...$800 rent is awesome.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#74796 Oct 17, 2012
Maybe you can get one of those insta-sheds. Cost like 225 but its a 10X20 shed with walls, even a zippered door.

congrats!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And I have to brag: only $800 rent for two bedrooms, separate formal dining room, big kitchen (which he is redoing to match the other units), I can choose any color paint I want for the walls, I control the heat for all the units.
No garage, but...$800 rent is awesome.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74797 Oct 17, 2012
RACE wrote:
True story.
We have experienced a lot of burglaries in our area, and heeding the advice from the police, a neighbor called the cops to report 2 black kids wandering thru the neighborhood. This person felt terrible that they may have just been party to harassing two innocent kids, but when the cops came to their door they told them that the kids were caught trying to pry open the back door to a house just down the road.
Yeah, it is terrible to profile, but its also the facts.
co-worker's neighborhood meets with the police periodically. They are instructed by police to call 911 to report anything out of the ordinary. black kids waling thru the neighborhood is out of the ordinary for them. people cruising thu the neighbor hood putting fllyers on the doors for the local pizza place get 911 called on them. Basically anyone they don't recognize.

Location hidden

#74798 Oct 17, 2012
RACE wrote:
Maybe you can get one of those insta-sheds. Cost like 225 but its a 10X20 shed with walls, even a zippered door.
congrats!
<quoted text>
Thanks!:)

I'm excited. When I moved here, I was so happy to be out of a fixer upper and into somethign FINISHED and contemporary. now I"m going back to fixer upper and 1906. I prefer that.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74799 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Stop deluding yourself. Our policy makers and "civic leaders" really were that racist and corrupt. Hell, in the '30s and '40s, Minneapolis city, business, religious leaders came out in support of hitler!

It wasn't about land values -- it was about "which neighborhoods have the least amount of power to fight this?"

It really was that bad. Why would you believe otherwise?
That's why I asked if this was back in the day. Yes I believe it happened. Do I think stuff like that is what is primarily holding many blacks back nowadays; no. I believe many of them are holding themselves back. I'm not alone, either. Bill Cosby has been outspoken about the issue.

It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause barely 50% of black males to graduate high school. It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause almost 75% of black babies to be born out of wedlock. It isn't white privilege or city planners that cause so many to deal drugs looking for the fast buck and join gangs.

Location hidden

#74800 Oct 17, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I asked if this was back in the day. Yes I believe it happened. Do I think stuff like that is what is primarily holding many blacks back nowadays; no. I believe many of them are holding themselves back. I'm not alone, either. Bill Cosby has been outspoken about the issue.
It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause barely 50% of black males to graduate high school. It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause almost 75% of black babies to be born out of wedlock. It isn't white privilege or city planners that cause so many to deal drugs looking for the fast buck and join gangs.
I guess being older than you, I don't think of the '60s and '70s as being "back in the day"!:) I really think of that as very recent history. God damn I'm old. But yeah, that was 40+ years ago.

Hey, I'm with Bill Cosby, but I also see the long-term effects of failed welfare policy, rampant racism in the institutions in the South (they're better, for sure, but still have a long ways to go), and I think it's about black adults who've done well for themselves getting involved. Black youth don't want or need whitey coming into their schools and telling them they can be all they can be. They resent it. I would resent MEN treating me the way we sometimes patronize blacks.

This really has to come from within the communities, with some help from the outside. But no one really wants an outsider to tell them how he should be doing things better. Just like you get to complain about your parents, you're not cool with everybody else trashing your parents.(you being the generic everyone you)

Location hidden

#74801 Oct 17, 2012
Remember what came out of the Iran-Contra hearings? The CIA *admitted* that it introduced crack cocaine into south L.A. to raise the money for an illegal weapons purchase relating to the middle east.

So just be open to the notion that aspects of our government, business, etc., still have a ways to go. Honestly, I think the military has done the best job of full integration of any other entity in this country.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74802 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I GOT AN APARTMENT!!! The place I'd been hoping for but not really expecting: Four-plex, hardwood floors, cool landlord, nice mixed neighborhood, easy access to the freeway but not the noise, big back and side yards for my cat to roam around in, and I can do a garden!

I'm psyched. Going there Friday to give the guy a check and let Nick take a look. I love that I"m done hunting and I can focus on packing.

Come to my party!!!
Congrats!!!! I am so, so happy for you!!!

Location hidden

#74803 Oct 17, 2012
Poll:

1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).

2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#74804 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).
2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.
Before I was a mom, twice. Starting age 17, twenty times, two states.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#74805 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:

I have lived in 5 states, but have been in NJ since college.

8 apartments/houses in NJ. We bought this one 9 years ago this month and don't plan on moving.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#74806 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
I lived in 4 places (within 3 countries: Hungary, England & USA) until I was 18 and eleven places since then, going on 12. In this country, I've lived in NJ & FL.

Congrats on your new place, Ang!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#74807 Oct 17, 2012
For those of you who are/were married/living with someone, who was usually responsible for dinner? Most of the women that I know work, but they end up cooking dinner, too (especially if there are kids in the family) most nights.

If both parents are working full-time, one needs to make sure that they are home to cook dinner for the kids, right? Since I don't really want to start crap on FB, I'll ask how y'all work things out in your households.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74808 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1)
Pre-18 - 1
Post-18 - 16 (14 if you don't count the 2 short term moves back into my parents house

2)2 - states
1 country. USA! USA! USA!

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74809 Oct 17, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
For those of you who are/were married/living with someone, who was usually responsible for dinner? Most of the women that I know work, but they end up cooking dinner, too (especially if there are kids in the family) most nights.
If both parents are working full-time, one needs to make sure that they are home to cook dinner for the kids, right? Since I don't really want to start crap on FB, I'll ask how y'all work things out in your households.
We used to take turns. Since we got kids, I took the chore of cooking and cleaning the kitchen so I would not have to deal with bathing the kids.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74810 Oct 17, 2012
But the kids are less hands on now. The older one can bathe himself and the younger one is assertig himself saying he can do it. So the nights I go to the gym, she's on her own.

Boynton Beach, FL

#74811 Oct 17, 2012
I got a flat tire on the way home from church tonight. I haven't had one in 12 years and of course, 2 weeks after Jasper moves... <sigh>.

It was pouring and I drove through some bad flooding so I'm betting that's how my tire got punctured. Luckily it was a slow enough leak that I made it home, and I have tomorrow off anyway so I'll have time to deal with this.

Location hidden

#74812 Oct 17, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
But the kids are less hands on now. The older one can bathe himself and the younger one is assertig himself saying he can do it. So the nights I go to the gym, she's on her own.
I like when the younger one does stuff sooner and faster than the first sibling because he has a peer there modeling the behavior for him.

Boynton Beach, FL

#74813 Oct 17, 2012
Jess:

With my ex, he loves cooking so he normally made dinner but I cleaned up. With Jasper, we took turns making the phone calls for takeout.
;)

No kids in either scenario though so this probably doesn't help much.

Location hidden

#74814 Oct 17, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
I got a flat tire on the way home from church tonight. I haven't had one in 12 years and of course, 2 weeks after Jasper moves... <sigh>.
It was pouring and I drove through some bad flooding so I'm betting that's how my tire got punctured. Luckily it was a slow enough leak that I made it home, and I have tomorrow off anyway so I'll have time to deal with this.
It's god punishing you for not drinking enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,126,278
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 21 min Jonah1 50,619
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min JOEL 70,077
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 57 min scirocco 47,496
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr jacques Ottawa 179,350
Car Paint, Paint and Various cosmetics products... 1 hr johnson 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Mandela 68,650
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]