Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because crack dealers were and still are killing each other and killing innocent kids on the street and decimating entire communities with a highly addictive and cheaper form of the drug.
Cocaine dealers aren't out doing drivebys. Coke users, who are generally less poor, aren't breaking into folks homes and robbing folks to support their habit either.
You act like this was some massive conspiracy to punish people JUST because of the color of their skin, Angela. That's complete b.s. The problems that crack cocaine caused to society by far exceeded the problems that just cocaine caused.
<quoted text>
Was the land less valuable in those communities? Doesn't it make financial sense to build something like that on land that is less valuable, so that when you build it, you aren't paying folks for land that is worth a ton of money? Damn straight if I'm building a freeway, all things being relatively equal, I'm gonna build it on the cheapest land and I don't give a f' who lives there? To me that is the responsible thing to do. I'm not gonna put it in white neighborhoods, and spend a lot more just to make it look good to Jesse Jackson.
When did this happen too? Was this back in the day when discrimination was wide spread? We aren't in those days anymore.
Stop deluding yourself. Our policy makers and "civic leaders" really were that racist and corrupt. Hell, in the '30s and '40s, Minneapolis city, business, religious leaders came out in support of hitler!

It wasn't about land values -- it was about "which neighborhoods have the least amount of power to fight this?"

It really was that bad. Why would you believe otherwise?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

And sub: CITY LEADERS HAVE ADMITTED THAT THIS WAS POLICY. Why not believe that?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

I am not saying that it does not happen, simply that you are pointing out the exception, not the rule.

How many other black people were in that neighborhood who had absolutely no reason for being there? Why were they there?

You cant say your anadoctal evidence proves anything, rather it proves the point that the police were doing their jobs by investigating a person out of character with the neighborhood. It sucks, but its true. Its a shame that honest hardworking black people are stereotyped based upon their skin color, but that does not dilute the fact that the other black people the police investigated were probably up to no good in that neighborhood.

There is a reason why the police to not pull over little old ladies, even black ones.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong.
Hell, my friend was a black JUDGE and he got pulled over for driving in his own nice neighborhood, jsut for driving while black.
There was a news story of another black JUDGE who was sitting in his car in his own driveway, waiting for his wife to come out b/c they were going out, and a cop pulled up and walked up to the judge sitting in his own car on his own property, and wanted to see ID. Because the judge was a black man in a nice neighborhood.
Stop kidding yourself that it doesn't happen.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

I live on a cul-de-sac, I dont have any stats but I can guarantee that 99% of the burglaries in my area are cause by youths under the age of 25, and from that the majority of those are black.

Right now, as we chat, there is a sign on the main road that connects to mine urging people to REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY!!! What do you think that tells people as they drive by? Yup! High crime rate area. The police themselves urge the residents to report any person out of character with our neighborhood. They even encourage residents to get their CWP.

I am not making this up, its a fact that a carload of kids cruising up and down dead end streets are more likely to be looking for a house to rob than being lost, and that is why the police want us to call them when we see this.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
A carload of teens driving down your street gets a call to the cops? WTH?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

True story.
We have experienced a lot of burglaries in our area, and heeding the advice from the police, a neighbor called the cops to report 2 black kids wandering thru the neighborhood. This person felt terrible that they may have just been party to harassing two innocent kids, but when the cops came to their door they told them that the kids were caught trying to pry open the back door to a house just down the road.

Yeah, it is terrible to profile, but its also the facts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

I GOT AN APARTMENT!!! The place I'd been hoping for but not really expecting: Four-plex, hardwood floors, cool landlord, nice mixed neighborhood, easy access to the freeway but not the noise, big back and side yards for my cat to roam around in, and I can do a garden!

I'm psyched. Going there Friday to give the guy a check and let Nick take a look. I love that I"m done hunting and I can focus on packing.

Come to my party!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

And I have to brag: only $800 rent for two bedrooms, separate formal dining room, big kitchen (which he is redoing to match the other units), I can choose any color paint I want for the walls, I control the heat for all the units.

No garage, but...$800 rent is awesome.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe you can get one of those insta-sheds. Cost like 225 but its a 10X20 shed with walls, even a zippered door.

congrats!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And I have to brag: only $800 rent for two bedrooms, separate formal dining room, big kitchen (which he is redoing to match the other units), I can choose any color paint I want for the walls, I control the heat for all the units.
No garage, but...$800 rent is awesome.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RACE wrote:
True story.
We have experienced a lot of burglaries in our area, and heeding the advice from the police, a neighbor called the cops to report 2 black kids wandering thru the neighborhood. This person felt terrible that they may have just been party to harassing two innocent kids, but when the cops came to their door they told them that the kids were caught trying to pry open the back door to a house just down the road.
Yeah, it is terrible to profile, but its also the facts.
co-worker's neighborhood meets with the police periodically. They are instructed by police to call 911 to report anything out of the ordinary. black kids waling thru the neighborhood is out of the ordinary for them. people cruising thu the neighbor hood putting fllyers on the doors for the local pizza place get 911 called on them. Basically anyone they don't recognize.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RACE wrote:
Maybe you can get one of those insta-sheds. Cost like 225 but its a 10X20 shed with walls, even a zippered door.
congrats!
<quoted text>
Thanks!:)

I'm excited. When I moved here, I was so happy to be out of a fixer upper and into somethign FINISHED and contemporary. now I"m going back to fixer upper and 1906. I prefer that.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Stop deluding yourself. Our policy makers and "civic leaders" really were that racist and corrupt. Hell, in the '30s and '40s, Minneapolis city, business, religious leaders came out in support of hitler!

It wasn't about land values -- it was about "which neighborhoods have the least amount of power to fight this?"

It really was that bad. Why would you believe otherwise?
That's why I asked if this was back in the day. Yes I believe it happened. Do I think stuff like that is what is primarily holding many blacks back nowadays; no. I believe many of them are holding themselves back. I'm not alone, either. Bill Cosby has been outspoken about the issue.

It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause barely 50% of black males to graduate high school. It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause almost 75% of black babies to be born out of wedlock. It isn't white privilege or city planners that cause so many to deal drugs looking for the fast buck and join gangs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I asked if this was back in the day. Yes I believe it happened. Do I think stuff like that is what is primarily holding many blacks back nowadays; no. I believe many of them are holding themselves back. I'm not alone, either. Bill Cosby has been outspoken about the issue.
It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause barely 50% of black males to graduate high school. It isn't white privilege or city planners who cause almost 75% of black babies to be born out of wedlock. It isn't white privilege or city planners that cause so many to deal drugs looking for the fast buck and join gangs.
I guess being older than you, I don't think of the '60s and '70s as being "back in the day"!:) I really think of that as very recent history. God damn I'm old. But yeah, that was 40+ years ago.

Hey, I'm with Bill Cosby, but I also see the long-term effects of failed welfare policy, rampant racism in the institutions in the South (they're better, for sure, but still have a long ways to go), and I think it's about black adults who've done well for themselves getting involved. Black youth don't want or need whitey coming into their schools and telling them they can be all they can be. They resent it. I would resent MEN treating me the way we sometimes patronize blacks.

This really has to come from within the communities, with some help from the outside. But no one really wants an outsider to tell them how he should be doing things better. Just like you get to complain about your parents, you're not cool with everybody else trashing your parents.(you being the generic everyone you)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Remember what came out of the Iran-Contra hearings? The CIA *admitted* that it introduced crack cocaine into south L.A. to raise the money for an illegal weapons purchase relating to the middle east.

So just be open to the notion that aspects of our government, business, etc., still have a ways to go. Honestly, I think the military has done the best job of full integration of any other entity in this country.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I GOT AN APARTMENT!!! The place I'd been hoping for but not really expecting: Four-plex, hardwood floors, cool landlord, nice mixed neighborhood, easy access to the freeway but not the noise, big back and side yards for my cat to roam around in, and I can do a garden!

I'm psyched. Going there Friday to give the guy a check and let Nick take a look. I love that I"m done hunting and I can focus on packing.

Come to my party!!!
Congrats!!!! I am so, so happy for you!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Poll:

1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).

2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1. How many times have you moved in your life? Feel to break this up to pre-age 18, then age 18 after that (since so many of us start the annual moves once we start college).
2. How many states have you lived in? Countries? "Lived in" means either you got mail there, or considered it your homebase, even if only temporary.
Before I was a mom, twice. Starting age 17, twenty times, two states.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:

I have lived in 5 states, but have been in NJ since college.

8 apartments/houses in NJ. We bought this one 9 years ago this month and don't plan on moving.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
I lived in 4 places (within 3 countries: Hungary, England & USA) until I was 18 and eleven places since then, going on 12. In this country, I've lived in NJ & FL.

Congrats on your new place, Ang!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

For those of you who are/were married/living with someone, who was usually responsible for dinner? Most of the women that I know work, but they end up cooking dinner, too (especially if there are kids in the family) most nights.

If both parents are working full-time, one needs to make sure that they are home to cook dinner for the kids, right? Since I don't really want to start crap on FB, I'll ask how y'all work things out in your households.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Poll:
1)
Pre-18 - 1
Post-18 - 16 (14 if you don't count the 2 short term moves back into my parents house

2)2 - states
1 country. USA! USA! USA!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,841 - 73,860 of97,408
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min shinningelectr0n 1,071,149
Amy 7-9 1 hr NWmoon 9
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LRS 173,496
easter house adoptions (Jan '11) 1 hr Lynn 13
Music Artists A to Z 2 hr _Zoey_ 245
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr _Zoey_ 4,572
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr _Zoey_ 4,487
•••
•••