Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a myth. Just like the myth that says there are a higher percentage of blacks in prisons because they aren't treated as fairly in the criminal justice system.
It's not a myth, you racist prick.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it actually is less about race and more about socio-economic issues, but because the two often go together, it's being treated as a race issue. Middle class blacks in nice neighborhoods going to good public schools are testing FINE, I bet. It's lower income kids that are struggling.
I think it's very complicated, as this article suggests:

http://educationnext.org/fallingbehind/

Very interesting.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a myth. Just like the myth that says there are a higher percentage of blacks in prisons because they aren't treated as fairly in the criminal justice system.
Thank you for finally saying what others have been afraid to. The criminal justice system treats all defendants equally, affording all the same opportunity to fair, due process.

You are a goddamn moron.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for finally saying what others have been afraid to. The criminal justice system treats all defendants equally, affording all the same opportunity to fair, due process.
You are a goddamn moron.
No doubt. The numbers are there to prove it. But fixing it is a complex problem, so many issues at play, including society's views and generations' worth of institutionalized racism.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

IOW, if you're white and you don't think you benefit from "white privilege," think again.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a myth, you racist prick.
Tell that to OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson. It's a myth purported by the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to stoke the fires of racism. And people like you buy into it.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
IOW, if you're white and you don't think you benefit from "white privilege," think again.
Do Asians benefit from "Asian Privilege?" What about the ones who grew up in difficult circumstances and come here not speaking English and who more often than not become successful?

To say that racial differences are entirely or even significantly due to privilege and discrimination is untrue, IMO. There is no proof for it. It's just said to be the reason, but that doesn't make it true.

That is not to say there isn't discrimination, but it is not the determining factor, IMO. Barely half of all black males even graduate high school. So, about 50% of black male population has pretty much severely handicapped themselves right out of the gate. The more we put the blame where it doesn't belong the more we do a disservice to these folks.

I agree with Bill Cosby about this issue.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson. It's a myth purported by the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to stoke the fires of racism. And people like you buy into it.
How many times have you gotten stopped for being white while driving when you're not breaking any laws?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The inequality of the criminal justice system has more to do with income, than color of ones skin, as those cases illustrate.

Even still, I don't believe the inequality in the criminal justice system is the major reason why why there are incarceration rate differences amongst various races. Does it account for some of the differences, sure, but it's not the major mover and shaker.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

DWB is not being arrested because your black.

Are you stipulating that more black people are arrested simply because they are stopped more often?

Profiling exists, but that is because it matches what really is occurring.

Sorry, but if a car full of black teenagers drives down my street, you can bet that I and many others are going to call the cops. I would do the same if I saw a car load of white teenagers, the problem is.....I dont see carloads of white teens driving down my street casing the neighborhood. But if I did, I would.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times have you gotten stopped for being white while driving when you're not breaking any laws?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RACE wrote:
Profiling exists, but that is because it matches what really is occurring.<quoted text>
Look at gang membership by race:

http://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/Survey-Anal...

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been statistically proven that the average driver can't drive more than three blocks without violating some sort of traffic law.

And I have gotten stopped a number of times

And even arrested once or twice.

Dam whities.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Are you stipulating that more black people are arrested simply because they are stopped more often?
Sorry, but if a car full of black teenagers drives down my street, you can bet that I and many others are going to call the cops. I would do the same if I saw a car load of white teenagers, the problem is.....I dont see carloads of white teens driving down my street casing the neighborhood. But if I did, I would.
<quoted text>
wrong.

Hell, my friend was a black JUDGE and he got pulled over for driving in his own nice neighborhood, jsut for driving while black.

There was a news story of another black JUDGE who was sitting in his car in his own driveway, waiting for his wife to come out b/c they were going out, and a cop pulled up and walked up to the judge sitting in his own car on his own property, and wanted to see ID. Because the judge was a black man in a nice neighborhood.

Stop kidding yourself that it doesn't happen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
A carload of teens driving down your street gets a call to the cops? WTH?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
if a car full of black teenagers drives down my street, you can bet that I and many others are going to call the cops.
You racist pr!ck!

Turned on the news and saw a black guy in a Cadillac being chased by a bunch of police cars. Thought I was watching a car chase. Turned out to be the President's motorcade.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The inequality of the criminal justice system has more to do with income, than color of ones skin, as those cases illustrate.
Even still, I don't believe the inequality in the criminal justice system is the major reason why why there are incarceration rate differences amongst various races. Does it account for some of the differences, sure, but it's not the major mover and shaker.
Drug laws have been shown to punish drugs used by low-income and minority people more than drugs used by white peole/people with money. Remember when they had to fix the law that gave crack possession a much harsher sentence than cocaine possession?

This stuff is storied. It's like cities that ruin a black neighborhood by ripping it apart to put the new freeway through it, because they don't want to do it to a white neighborhood. IT'S DOCUMENTED. City officials have ADMITTED that this was policy.

St. Paul did it and totally 'fesses up that it was the policy at the time.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Drug laws have been shown to punish drugs used by low-income and minority people more than drugs used by white peole/people with money. Remember when they had to fix the law that gave crack possession a much harsher sentence than cocaine possession?
That's because crack dealers were and still are killing each other and killing innocent kids on the street and decimating entire communities with a highly addictive and cheaper form of the drug.

Cocaine dealers aren't out doing drivebys. Coke users, who are generally less poor, aren't breaking into folks homes and robbing folks to support their habit either.

You act like this was some massive conspiracy to punish people JUST because of the color of their skin, Angela. That's complete b.s. The problems that crack cocaine caused to society by far exceeded the problems that just cocaine caused.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>This stuff is storied. It's like cities that ruin a black neighborhood by ripping it apart to put the new freeway through it, because they don't want to do it to a white neighborhood. IT'S DOCUMENTED. City officials have ADMITTED that this was policy.
St. Paul did it and totally 'fesses up that it was the policy at the time.
Was the land less valuable in those communities? Doesn't it make financial sense to build something like that on land that is less valuable, so that when you build it, you aren't paying folks for land that is worth a ton of money? Damn straight if I'm building a freeway, all things being relatively equal, I'm gonna build it on the cheapest land and I don't give a f' who lives there? To me that is the responsible thing to do. I'm not gonna put it in white neighborhoods, and spend a lot more just to make it look good to Jesse Jackson.

When did this happen too? Was this back in the day when discrimination was wide spread? We aren't in those days anymore.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

I'm figuring, by what I have read, that this is something a number of people will be interested in but especially Race:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49450450/ns/techn...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Just found a unit in my condo building on the rentals section of craigslist. "Patio/deck" is listed. Um, no. it's a unit that's half in the ground, half out. No patio, no sliding glass doors. And rental units aren't allowed in my condo.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because crack dealers were and still are killing each other and killing innocent kids on the street and decimating entire communities with a highly addictive and cheaper form of the drug.
Cocaine dealers aren't out doing drivebys. Coke users, who are generally less poor, aren't breaking into folks homes and robbing folks to support their habit either.
You act like this was some massive conspiracy to punish people JUST because of the color of their skin, Angela. That's complete b.s. The problems that crack cocaine caused to society by far exceeded the problems that just cocaine caused.
<quoted text>
Was the land less valuable in those communities? Doesn't it make financial sense to build something like that on land that is less valuable, so that when you build it, you aren't paying folks for land that is worth a ton of money? Damn straight if I'm building a freeway, all things being relatively equal, I'm gonna build it on the cheapest land and I don't give a f' who lives there? To me that is the responsible thing to do. I'm not gonna put it in white neighborhoods, and spend a lot more just to make it look good to Jesse Jackson.
When did this happen too? Was this back in the day when discrimination was wide spread? We aren't in those days anymore.
Stop deluding yourself. Our policy makers and "civic leaders" really were that racist and corrupt. Hell, in the '30s and '40s, Minneapolis city, business, religious leaders came out in support of hitler!

It wasn't about land values -- it was about "which neighborhoods have the least amount of power to fight this?"

It really was that bad. Why would you believe otherwise?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 34 min THE DEVIL 1,081,633
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 2 hr TW_sugar_daddio 17
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr LRS 174,860
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,391
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr andet1987 4,585
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr andet1987 4,561
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr truth 48,928
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 3:19AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000