Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be if they do this:
<quoted text>
Then they will have different ACT and SAT test depending on your race. If you are a non-asian minority your ACT and SAT test will consist of a coloring book and you will just have to color within the lines to get a perfect score.
Then the next step will be that democrats will make it illegal for colleges and employers to treat a black kid who graduated with a 4.0 (even though if he were white he'd have a 3.25) differently from a white or asian kid who had a 4.0.
Ah, the wonderfully whacky world of liberals.
Florida's not exactly a liberal state. Blame your own ilk.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

anyone familiar with and fond of the lovely song "Vincent" ("Starry starry night") by Don Mclean, I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I was to find out that it's been covered by Michael Bolton.:D

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

It's stupid, putting race into the grades and testing. This is 95% on the parents and 5% on the teachers/schools. An involved parent can make up for a poor teacher, but an uninvolved parent can undermine all the work a good teacher does.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Florida's not exactly a liberal state. Blame your own ilk.
This. Gov is Republican Rick Scott.

Quoted in article promoting this plan is Education Chairman & Republican Gary Chartrand, appointed by Scott.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that's because research has shown that nonwhite students get disciplined more often and more severely, get expelled more often, when compared to their white counterparts for similar behavior.
I suspect itís because liberals see that 17.3 percent of black students were suspended in 2009-10, whereas 4.7 percent of whites, 7.3 percent of Latinos, and only 2.1 percent of Asians were, and then they just assume itís because of discrimination, despite the fact that many of these black kids go to school in inner city schools that also have many minority teachers and administrators. By that logic, the fact that only 2.1 percent of Asians are suspended and 4.7 of whites are, necessarily means that whites are being discriminated against. Funny how it only works for one group, but not the other.

Also, by that logic, the fact that between 1974 and 2004 52.2% of the homicide offenders were Black must mean that white people can get away with murder with impunity, whereas blacks are discriminated against. This must mean that not only are the police out to get them, but the DAís are, the juries are, and the judges are. Itís a grand national conspiracy to allow non-blacks to get away with murder (because hey, who doesnít love a murder Ö unless of course heís black) and to punish blacks harshly.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It's stupid, putting race into the grades and testing. This is 95% on the parents and 5% on the teachers/schools. An involved parent can make up for a poor teacher, but an uninvolved parent can undermine all the work a good teacher does.
Oh, I don't know. A bad teacher can derail a kid for life, even a good student.

Here's an intersting story about teacher expectations and how they influence children.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/trans...

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>This. Gov is Republican Rick Scott.
Quoted in article promoting this plan is Education Chairman & Republican Gary Chartrand, appointed by Scott.
FL must be one of those crazy states where even republicans are whacky liberals in disguise?

:p
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Toj wrote:
Okay -- read the whole thing. No. Doesn't help.
"New education standards approved this week in Florida set goals for public school student performance based on race and ethnicity ó with lower benchmarks for African-American, Native American, and Hispanic students, and higher ones for white and Asian-American students."
There's no getting past what this says.
Has anyone run this ( and Sub's Exec Order) through Snopes or something equivalent? This just does not sound right nor does it sound like something a government person would put in writing.

Plausibility fail, guys
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
anyone familiar with and fond of the lovely song "Vincent" ("Starry starry night") by Don Mclean, I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I was to find out that it's been covered by Michael Bolton.:D
Me!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Toj wrote:
I know many bright, young people of all races. It's a slap to my black friends and my Asian friends. Both groups who have done very well have done so with hard work -- not b/c Asians are naturally better. Blacks CAN achieve, they are not dumber than the rest of society.
Sounds like someone has been reading The Bell Curve,
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just dumb.
The website he quotes is The Daily Caller.

What does the Miami Herald say?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect itís because liberals see that 17.3 percent of black students were suspended in 2009-10, whereas 4.7 percent of whites, 7.3 percent of Latinos, and only 2.1 percent of Asians were, and then they just assume itís because of discrimination, despite the fact that many of these black kids go to school in inner city schools that also have many minority teachers and administrators. By that logic, the fact that only 2.1 percent of Asians are suspended and 4.7 of whites are, necessarily means that whites are being discriminated against. Funny how it only works for one group, but not the other.
Also, by that logic, the fact that between 1974 and 2004 52.2% of the homicide offenders were Black must mean that white people can get away with murder with impunity, whereas blacks are discriminated against. This must mean that not only are the police out to get them, but the DAís are, the juries are, and the judges are. Itís a grand national conspiracy to allow non-blacks to get away with murder (because hey, who doesnít love a murder Ö unless of course heís black) and to punish blacks harshly.
I didn't read any of the stats in that article (just skimmed the beginning part), but I'd read something recently about the discrimination against students of color when it comes to punishments in schools, and it was more specific. Like, white students and black students both tellnig a teacher to "F off," the white students would get reprimanded/punished less often and with lighter punishments than the black kids.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone run this ( and Sub's Exec Order) through Snopes or something equivalent? This just does not sound right nor does it sound like something a government person would put in writing.
Plausibility fail, guys
I did click on the link to the executive order and it's from the federal register.

But his source put their own lopsided spin on it to the best of their abilities.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Plausibility fail, guys
I understand your feeling on this. It's not on Snopes. I believe it's real.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/conte...

Go ahead and google it. It's all over the place. You'd THINK it was an urban legend. Sadly, it isn't.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
FL must be one of those crazy states where even republicans are whacky liberals in disguise?
Why? Because when Republican do stupid stuff they must be Democrats in disguise and when Democrats do something worthwhile it must have been b/c a Republican made them do it?

Both parties have their fair share of stupid.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Plausibility fail, guys
Article was forwarded to me by a friend who's wife is a teacher. He did not stumble across it by accident. He knew about it cause his wife is living it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

If I were a nonwhite, I'd be INSULTED by this deal in Florida.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Because when Republican do stupid stuff they must be Democrats in disguise and when Democrats do something worthwhile it must have been b/c a Republican made them do it?
Both parties have their fair share of stupid.
I was joking, hence the :p. I will do even more to clue you in next time!!11

I actually looked at the article. They aren't actually lowering the standards for blacks. They are lowering the goal in terms of what percentage for each racial group they want to have at or above grade level. For example:

"By 2018, 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanic students, 82 percent of Native American students and 74 percent of African-American students are expected to be at-or-above grade level reading standards."

So, they aren't lowering what the grade level reading standards are for various groups. They are just being realistic about what they can achieve given the already existent racial disparity, with the eventual goal to be that 100 percent of students be at or above grade level (which is impossible, IMO, unless you water down what it means to be at grade level):

"During a Thursday conference call with reporters Commissioner of Education Pam Stewart asserted that the breakdown is part of a long term goal to bring 100 percent of students, of every race, at or above grade level by 2022-2023. She added that the six year goals are the most ambitious the state has adopted in its history."

I don't agree with it, just because of the message it conveys, but it's not as crazy as it sounds at first.

Currently 76 percent of Asian students, 69 percent of white students, 53 percent of Hispanic students, 55 percent of Native American students and 38 percent of African-American students are at or above their grade level reading standards.

So by 2018 they want to see an increase of 14 percent in asians, 19 percent in whites, 28 percent in hispanics, 27 percent in Native American's, and 36% in African Americans.

It sounds worse than it is, it seems to me.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If I were a nonwhite, I'd be INSULTED by this deal in Florida.
I don't know how upset I would be. I think it just sets realistic goals and takes into account the fact that you aren't going to be able to magically close the racial gap overnight. It's not something you can snap your fingers to attain.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how upset I would be. I think it just sets realistic goals and takes into account the fact that you aren't going to be able to magically close the racial gap overnight. It's not something you can snap your fingers to attain.
I think it actually is less about race and more about socio-economic issues, but because the two often go together, it's being treated as a race issue. Middle class blacks in nice neighborhoods going to good public schools are testing FINE, I bet. It's lower income kids that are struggling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,801 - 73,820 of97,412
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Gabriel 1,071,283
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 17 min Frijoles 68,114
Amy 7-10 20 min PEllen 1
Abby 7-10 24 min PEllen 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,526
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 44 min TRD 67,522
Chicago Democrats a Protected Species on the Na... 56 min bensley reality 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE