Comments
73,781 - 73,800 of 97,985 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74735 Oct 17, 2012
Okay -- read the whole thing. No. Doesn't help.

"New education standards approved this week in Florida set goals for public school student performance based on race and ethnicity ó with lower benchmarks for African-American, Native American, and Hispanic students, and higher ones for white and Asian-American students."

There's no getting past what this says.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74736 Oct 17, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Wwelcome to Florida Education.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/11/florida-set...
Wow...what?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74737 Oct 17, 2012
My comment at the WaPo got yanked because a stupid c*nt named maria reported it. she's an idiot.

Hell, I posted something innocuous in the Hints from Heloise thread about ziplok bags (i was the only commenter) AND IT GOT YANKED.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74738 Oct 17, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Heh, that's not too different than Obama issuing an EXECUTIVE ORDER requiring schools to have race based school discipline:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/08/obama_...

It really is just outrageous, but let's talk about Ryan working at a soup kitchen for 15 minutes or whether Romney really gives to charity or not.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

#74739 Oct 17, 2012
Toj wrote:
Okay -- read the whole thing. No. Doesn't help.
"New education standards approved this week in Florida set goals for public school student performance based on race and ethnicity ó with lower benchmarks for African-American, Native American, and Hispanic students, and higher ones for white and Asian-American students."
There's no getting past what this says.
This isn't anything new or shocking. Studies have historically shown that whites score higher than blacks, Asians higher than whites. This is just an attempt to level the playing field. It's basically another flavor of affirmative action.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#74740 Oct 17, 2012
Aren't statistics wonderful.
Thru the magic of lowering benchmarks and standards for a sub set of school kids, you can magically make all of them appear to be at the same same level.

Location hidden

#74741 Oct 17, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't anything new or shocking. Studies have historically shown that whites score higher than blacks, Asians higher than whites. This is just an attempt to level the playing field. It's basically another flavor of affirmative action.
I thought that perhaps the cultural environment might explain this discrepancy, but this article suggests that this is not the case:

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/004064.html

Boy is that a hot button issue.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74742 Oct 17, 2012
What if you're biracial? Do they classify you at the lower scoring end of things?

Location hidden

#74743 Oct 17, 2012
I wonder how the florida policy will be implemented? Does that mean if you are a non-asian minority and you get a 70% on test that you will be given a B, whereas an Asian or white person would get a C-?

Location hidden

#74744 Oct 17, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>It's basically another flavor of affirmative action.
It will be if they do this:
Sublime1 wrote:
I wonder how the florida policy will be implemented? Does that mean if you are a non-asian minority and you get a 70% on test that you will be given a B, whereas an Asian or white person would get a C-?
Then they will have different ACT and SAT test depending on your race. If you are a non-asian minority your ACT and SAT test will consist of a coloring book and you will just have to color within the lines to get a perfect score.

Then the next step will be that democrats will make it illegal for colleges and employers to treat a black kid who graduated with a 4.0 (even though if he were white he'd have a 3.25) differently from a white or asian kid who had a 4.0.

Ah, the wonderfully whacky world of liberals.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#74745 Oct 17, 2012
That just has to stop -- grading on racial levels. I understand the thought process behind it and I can't see where it would help. Same thing with discipline.

What I see needs to happen is programs to help lift people up instead of bringing levels down.

Of course, that means money so it won't happen. Easier to just lower the levels.

Sad.

Same thing with the discipline thing. I'm against that as well.

This isn't/shouldn't be a political thing.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#74746 Oct 17, 2012
I know many bright, young people of all races. It's a slap to my black friends and my Asian friends. Both groups who have done very well have done so with hard work -- not b/c Asians are naturally better. Blacks CAN achieve, they are not dumber than the rest of society.

Location hidden

#74747 Oct 17, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
That's just dumb.

Location hidden

#74748 Oct 17, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, that's not too different than Obama issuing an EXECUTIVE ORDER requiring schools to have race based school discipline:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/08/obama_...
It really is just outrageous, but let's talk about Ryan working at a soup kitchen for 15 minutes or whether Romney really gives to charity or not.
I suspect that's because research has shown that nonwhite students get disciplined more often and more severely, get expelled more often, when compared to their white counterparts for similar behavior.

Location hidden

#74749 Oct 17, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be if they do this:
<quoted text>
Then they will have different ACT and SAT test depending on your race. If you are a non-asian minority your ACT and SAT test will consist of a coloring book and you will just have to color within the lines to get a perfect score.
Then the next step will be that democrats will make it illegal for colleges and employers to treat a black kid who graduated with a 4.0 (even though if he were white he'd have a 3.25) differently from a white or asian kid who had a 4.0.
Ah, the wonderfully whacky world of liberals.
Florida's not exactly a liberal state. Blame your own ilk.

Location hidden

#74750 Oct 17, 2012
anyone familiar with and fond of the lovely song "Vincent" ("Starry starry night") by Don Mclean, I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I was to find out that it's been covered by Michael Bolton.:D

Location hidden

#74751 Oct 17, 2012
It's stupid, putting race into the grades and testing. This is 95% on the parents and 5% on the teachers/schools. An involved parent can make up for a poor teacher, but an uninvolved parent can undermine all the work a good teacher does.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74752 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Florida's not exactly a liberal state. Blame your own ilk.
This. Gov is Republican Rick Scott.

Quoted in article promoting this plan is Education Chairman & Republican Gary Chartrand, appointed by Scott.

Location hidden

#74753 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that's because research has shown that nonwhite students get disciplined more often and more severely, get expelled more often, when compared to their white counterparts for similar behavior.
I suspect itís because liberals see that 17.3 percent of black students were suspended in 2009-10, whereas 4.7 percent of whites, 7.3 percent of Latinos, and only 2.1 percent of Asians were, and then they just assume itís because of discrimination, despite the fact that many of these black kids go to school in inner city schools that also have many minority teachers and administrators. By that logic, the fact that only 2.1 percent of Asians are suspended and 4.7 of whites are, necessarily means that whites are being discriminated against. Funny how it only works for one group, but not the other.

Also, by that logic, the fact that between 1974 and 2004 52.2% of the homicide offenders were Black must mean that white people can get away with murder with impunity, whereas blacks are discriminated against. This must mean that not only are the police out to get them, but the DAís are, the juries are, and the judges are. Itís a grand national conspiracy to allow non-blacks to get away with murder (because hey, who doesnít love a murder Ö unless of course heís black) and to punish blacks harshly.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#74754 Oct 17, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It's stupid, putting race into the grades and testing. This is 95% on the parents and 5% on the teachers/schools. An involved parent can make up for a poor teacher, but an uninvolved parent can undermine all the work a good teacher does.
Oh, I don't know. A bad teacher can derail a kid for life, even a good student.

Here's an intersting story about teacher expectations and how they influence children.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/trans...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Bruce Rauner 1,101,900
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,538
ruth ann hall's son 17 min EYES EVERWHERE 1
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 26 min Sterkfontein Swar... 65
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 40 min Bluto 49,517
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 69,094
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr truth-facts 46,385
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago