Topix Chitown Regulars
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#74635 Oct 16, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I love Bill Murray.
Then there are a couple t-shirts on this page you might like.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74636 Oct 16, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't. Given that he sees no problem striking women, I don't think abusing his wife is too far of a stretch.
Yes it is.

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74637 Oct 16, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>No, I wanna beat up everyone that punches me and spits in my face. Got nothing to do with authority.
You are allowed to use reasonable force to stop someone from hitting you and spitting on you. Whether that means restraining someone or whether that means attacking someone to get an on going assault to stop will depend on the circumstances.

In this situation, the girl wasn't continuing to attack him. She previously attacked him and was just standing there. Despite her just standing there, he stood up without saying a word, and like John Wayne and uppercut her very hard and then grabbed her and threw her off the bus.

Not only that, when she was being belligerent he was telling her he's going to get family members to beat her up. The guy acted unprofessionally.

It seems to me a more reasonable approach, rather than talking back to her and escalating the situation, would have been for him to have calmly said, if she can't pay the fare, she needs to get off the bus and if she doesn't, he will call the police and wait for them to arrive. Then if she attacked him, he could have tried to restrain her and if she continued to attack him while he tried to restrain her, he could have used reasonable physical force.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74638 Oct 16, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are allowed to use reasonable force to stop someone from hitting you and spitting on you. Whether that means restraining someone or whether that means attacking someone to get an on going assault to stop will depend on the circumstances.
In this situation, the girl wasn't continuing to attack him. She previously attacked him and was just standing there. Despite her just standing there, he stood up without saying a word, and like John Wayne and uppercut her very hard and then grabbed her and threw her off the bus.
Not only that, when she was being belligerent he was telling her he's going to get family members to beat her up. The guy acted unprofessionally.
It seems to me a more reasonable approach, rather than talking back to her and escalating the situation, would have been for him to have calmly said, if she can't pay the fare, she needs to get off the bus and if she doesn't, he will call the police and wait for them to arrive. Then if she attacked him, he could have tried to restrain her and if she continued to attack him while he tried to restrain her, he could have used reasonable physical force.
For the millionth time, I already agreed that his demeanor was unprofessional LEADING UP to the physical altercation. But he DID tell her that he was going to make her get off at the next stop if she did not find her money. He DID try to call the cops.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/cleveland-b...

Per a police report obtained by the Plain Dealer, the fight started when Lane boarded the bus claiming that she couldn't pay the bus fare because she forgot her backpack. She then asked Hughes, "Are you putting me off the bus?" and "Is this how you treat people in Cleveland?" Lane then paid her fare but she called the driver the B-word.

Hughes told the officer that Lane allegedly kept cursing at him and then proceeded to grab his throat, spit in his face and strike him with her fist, according to the police report. Then Hughes allegedly reached for his cellphone but Lane knocked it out of his hands.

You will not get me to agree that an employee of any company should be required to accept physical abuse or be fired. Company should stand up for their employee who was assaulted on the job. I also find it funny that you readily admit, if it were a man, you would not have any problem with the way things unfolded, but made no mention of company policy.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#74639 Oct 16, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>You will not get me to agree that an employee of any company should be required to accept physical abuse or be fired. Company should stand up for their employee who was assaulted on the job. I also find it funny that you readily admit, if it were a man, you would not have any problem with the way things unfolded, but made no mention of company policy.
I never once said he had to accept physical force.

Legally, after she attacked him and was just standing there he had every right to detain her, call the police, and if necessary use reasonable physical force if she fought back while being detained.

Per company policy, he probably crossed the line by behaving unprofessionally (which for all you know is why he got suspended). So you donít know if he actually got suspended because he fought back. So there is no reason for you to agree to it. That may not have been the reason he was suspended, just like in the second video that was not why the driver was suspended (he was suspended because he detained her despite her not posing a threat to either him or the other passengers, which was against company policy).

The uppercut was just a show of your mentality, which is if she wants to fight like a man, Iíll hit her like a man. The problem is sheís not a man and treating her like a man, when she is a woman may not be reasonable. You need to act reasonably under the circumstances and if the circumstances include the fact that she is a woman, who poses less of a threat, and who is not currently attacking you, then standing up and upper cutting her without recourse to less forceful means could be illegal.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#74640 Oct 16, 2012
The only way your can stop someone from spitting on you is to break their jaw.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are allowed to use reasonable force to stop someone from hitting you and spitting on you.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#74641 Oct 16, 2012
RACE wrote:
The only way your can stop someone from spitting on you is to break their jaw.
<quoted text>
She wasn't spitting on him when he punched her. She stopped. She was just standing there.

It would be completely different if he stood up and she started attacking him and spitting on him and he had to defend himself. That's not what happened.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74642 Oct 16, 2012
Sub, so you wouldn't have done ANYTHING if this had happened to you? WHo cares if she's "done" spitting. She could start up again at any time. She'll do it with my first in her face.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74643 Oct 16, 2012
I've NEVER hit a woman. I've spanked a whole bunch of them, however. But, they had it coming.... Now that I mention it, they had me coming too!

Good times!

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#74644 Oct 16, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sub, so you wouldn't have done ANYTHING if this had happened to you? WHo cares if she's "done" spitting. She could start up again at any time. She'll do it with my first in her face.
The second she laid hands on me or spit on me, I would have restrained her. There wouldn't have been an intervening period of time where she was just standing there. I don't need to beat down a woman to get her to stop hurting me. Judging by the size difference between the driver and the woman, I'm pretty sure the same could be said for him. I'm pretty sure I could easily restrain her on the ground and if she resisted and fought back, I'd use reasonable force to get her to stop resisting me. So, in my case the use of non-restraining force would only be in response to the her conduct.

Location hidden

#74645 Oct 16, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The second she laid hands on me or spit on me, I would have restrained her. There wouldn't have been an intervening period of time where she was just standing there. I don't need to beat down a woman to get her to stop hurting me. Judging by the size difference between the driver and the woman, I'm pretty sure the same could be said for him. I'm pretty sure I could easily restrain her on the ground and if she resisted and fought back, I'd use reasonable force to get her to stop resisting me. So, in my case the use of non-restraining force would only be in response to the her conduct.
Fair enough.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74646 Oct 16, 2012

Location hidden

#74647 Oct 16, 2012
Toj wrote:
Disgusting. I hope it makes the regular, TV news. But it probably won't.

Location hidden

#74648 Oct 16, 2012
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

I don't get it, Iowa Hawkeyes are 4-2, their offense and defense are individually ranked in the top 25, but the team doesn't make it into either top 25. Maybe this weekend after they beat Penn State.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74649 Oct 16, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Disgusting. I hope it makes the regular, TV news. But it probably won't.
It's all over the web. It just might.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#74650 Oct 16, 2012
Toj wrote:
How is Ryan supposed to know their policy about visitors. The article says: The campaign says it sent a staffer to the soup kitchen ahead of Ryan, to make sure it was okay for the congressman to stop by. Assuming that is true, what more are they supposed to do? Are they supposed to say, are you really, really, really sure it's okay if he stops by?

Location hidden

#74651 Oct 16, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all over the web. It just might.
A friend said she saw this on TMZ.

Location hidden

#74652 Oct 16, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How is Ryan supposed to know their policy about visitors. The article says: The campaign says it sent a staffer to the soup kitchen ahead of Ryan, to make sure it was okay for the congressman to stop by. Assuming that is true, what more are they supposed to do? Are they supposed to say, are you really, really, really sure it's okay if he stops by?
so not the point.

The point, of course, is that he faked a photo op.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74653 Oct 16, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're suppose to actually help in a soup kitchen, not present and just get your picture taken.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#74654 Oct 16, 2012
That's "pretend" not "present". Have no idea. Keyboard gone wild. ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min Go fish 1,703,364
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 2,773
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Intrepid Surfer 11,931
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr U_Nil_ Name 243,313
Florida shooter is White Nationalist scum 6 hr Lulz 6
SPOONS.............gime dem Spoons. 7 hr Hillbilly Heaven 4
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 hr SAUCY FART 64,450

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages