Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#74547 Oct 15, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Don't remember what thread it was but last week we were talking about how that one Teen Mom girl is now in prison for the next 2-5 years. Link is too long, but on MSNBC, there's an article about how her ex-boyfriend is going to bring their 3-year-old to see her in prison.
Any opinions on this?
I'm not sure what to think. J's mom and stepdad used to bring him with to various prisons when they would visit friends. He'd have to undergo strip searches down to his underwear, and at 8-10 years old, this is fairly traumatic. Possibly even more so when he was older and realized that most adults meet up with their friends at restaurants and sporting events, not prisons. I think that was horribly uncalled for, but what about kids visiting parents?
I don't know where or when that was, but NO prison in this state or any other I've lived in strip searches visitors, especially not kids. There are rules about clothing, and you go through metal detectors, but NO visitors are strip searched. I doubt very much if it's happening now in prisons anywhere in the states, but then again, who knows what they do in the east. Out here it's just not like that. At all.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74548 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Getting punched and spit on will do that to you. I don't care how much heavier than her he was. She knew how big he was when she spit in his face.
ITA.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#74549 Oct 15, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't either, but it seems like it would be a better option for a little kid.
When is the last time ANY of you have visited someone in prison?
Seriously. Anyone besides me have any REAL first hand experience with this in the last decade?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74550 Oct 15, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know where or when that was, but NO prison in this state or any other I've lived in strip searches visitors, especially not kids. There are rules about clothing, and you go through metal detectors, but NO visitors are strip searched. I doubt very much if it's happening now in prisons anywhere in the states, but then again, who knows what they do in the east. Out here it's just not like that. At all.
Ah, that's good. This was the mid-late 80s and somewhere in the South/SouthEast. I was kinda horrified when he told me that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74551 Oct 15, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>When is the last time ANY of you have visited someone in prison?
Seriously. Anyone besides me have any REAL first hand experience with this in the last decade?
Not me. I did find that strange when they said they stripped search the visitors.

Then I thought perhaps it was a maximum security prison or something.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74552 Oct 15, 2012
I think it makes sense wehn the people being visited are drug offenders (Matilda's inlaws' cohorts). Drugs won't set off the metal detectors, so they have to be sure you're not smuggling in horse or coke for someone.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74553 Oct 15, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>When is the last time ANY of you have visited someone in prison?
Seriously. Anyone besides me have any REAL first hand experience with this in the last decade?
Nope. I didn't even know 'jail' and 'prison' were two different things until recently.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74554 Oct 15, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Who threw the first punch?
According to what I have read, she spit on him and punched him. This is while he was still in his seat. Once knocked her ass out, she wasn't throwing no more punches.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74555 Oct 15, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch the video again. He was arguing WITH her. He joined in. It escalated b/c he joined in.
It's okay. I know I'm going to be in the minority here. I don't have a problem with another viewpoint.
Yes, her actions were horrible. Yes, he needed to report her and file a police report.
There was no need whatsoever to hit her and physically throw her. Doesn't make any of her actions correct. Also, doesn't make his actions right, either.
If you want to fault him for his escalation of words. Fine. Take the fight out of it and tell me you would reprimand him for engaging her like that verbally, I might be ok with that. But he was physically assaulted, he has every right to retaliate. He deserves zero disciplinary action for hitting her.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74556 Oct 15, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>When is the last time ANY of you have visited someone in prison?
Seriously. Anyone besides me have any REAL first hand experience with this in the last decade?
Did you have a point? Cause if you did, its missing.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#74557 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I could have done without that. Of course, I could have done without all the men too.
I'm curious as to why.

And I don't mean the men part; that I get.
:D

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74558 Oct 15, 2012
Toj wrote:
There was no need whatsoever to hit her and physically throw her.
If someone punches me, they better expect that I am going to punch them back. If someone is smaller than me, and does not hit as hard as me, that is something for them to consider before striking me. The fact that I can hit harder is not my concern, nor should it be.

I wonder what would have happened if he had done things your way? Get punched. Get spit on. Then stop the bus and call the cops(oh, wait. He tried to and she knocked the phone from his hand). And wait. And wait. Think she would have stuck around and waited? "Yes officer. Here's my side of the story. I feel he was rude to me so I spit in his face and punched him.".

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74559 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>According to what I have read, she spit on him and punched him. This is while he was still in his seat. Once knocked her ass out, she wasn't throwing no more punches.
When you can, watch the video. I think we'll still disagree, but you might see what I am seeing.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74561 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If someone punches me, they better expect that I am going to punch them back. If someone is smaller than me, and does not hit as hard as me, that is something for them to consider before striking me. The fact that I can hit harder is not my concern, nor should it be.
I wonder what would have happened if he had done things your way? Get punched. Get spit on. Then stop the bus and call the cops(oh, wait. He tried to and she knocked the phone from his hand). And wait. And wait. Think she would have stuck around and waited? "Yes officer. Here's my side of the story. I feel he was rude to me so I spit in his face and punched him.".
Watch the video. They did speak to the police. He had every opportunity to press charges and did not. He was in a professional situation and was part of the escalation.

As I said, we will just have to disagree on this one.

He could have kept his mouth shut and let the other shout and scream. He should have stopped the bus immediately and then called the cops -- not waited until he's driving and then start arguing with her. That woman put all the people on the bus in danger and so did the bus driver. You have an irate passenger next to you, you need to stop the bus. The problem is he didn't take the appropriate action right away and then actually escalated it.

Maturity and self-control broke down and pure stupidity took its course.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#74562 Oct 15, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
Seriously. Anyone besides me have any REAL first hand experience with this in the last decade?
Me does.

So your circle includes polys, washed up porn stars, transvestites, and felons.

Progress?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74563 Oct 15, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can, watch the video. I think we'll still disagree, but you might see what I am seeing.
I did watch the video. What is it you are seeing?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#74564 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I did watch the video. What is it you are seeing?
A crusty old man beating up a smaller woman?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74565 Oct 15, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch the video. They did speak to the police. He had every opportunity to press charges and did not. He was in a professional situation and was part of the escalation.
As I said, we will just have to disagree on this one.
He could have kept his mouth shut and let the other shout and scream. He should have stopped the bus immediately and then called the cops -- not waited until he's driving and then start arguing with her. That woman put all the people on the bus in danger and so did the bus driver. You have an irate passenger next to you, you need to stop the bus. The problem is he didn't take the appropriate action right away and then actually escalated it.
Maturity and self-control broke down and pure stupidity took its course.
I agree with you on how he handled it UP UNTIL THE POINT THAT HE WAS ASSAULTED. At that point, he has every right to take matters into his own hands. Dealing with verbal assaults might be part of the job. Putting up with passengers saying rude things might be part of the job. Getting hit and spit on is not. Work or no work, you might be content with whipping out your phone and calling the cops when someone spits on you and hits you. Most people would not be.

My kid is in karate class. There was a kid that was bothering him one day. He tried it your way. He tried to walk away. The kid followd him and kept hitting him from behind. My kid turned and decked him. He got in trouble for fighting, but the karate instructor privately told my wife that if it was her kid, she'd want him to do exactly what my kid did. Fighting is not preferred, but sometimes you do have the right to take matters into your own hands.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#74566 Oct 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>According to what I have read, she spit on him and punched him. This is while he was still in his seat. Once knocked her ass out, she wasn't throwing no more punches.
I was asking about the Trevon case. Never mind, don't want to stray off topic or confuse you.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#74567 Oct 15, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Because I said I was totally okay with that.(not.)
Aren't you okay with the new measures of airport security?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min loose cannon 230,907
Johnny Murray a/k/a Johnny's Marine 10 min Elder James Johnson 34
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min TRUMP WINNERS 1,457,512
last post wins! (Apr '13) 58 min They cannot kill ... 1,953
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2,738
Why does Chicago want to harbor illegal criminals 1 hr YIM 9
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 62,296

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages