|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to say, they make a bunch of sounds.
When I lived in my own house, they essentially had their own bedroom. And I had a mini-fridge in there that I would keep their kibble and romaine in. They would all start going nuts when I'd crinkle a bag or open the fridge door. Wheeeek, wheeek, wheeek!
And they're so loud for being so little!

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I was saying when I read the text! So close! Hopefully she'll end it for real next time, and hopefully next time will be next week.
Maybe you need to grease the wheels a little bit. Get her drunk, take pictures of her, and then send them anonymously to the psycho bf, lol.

:p

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
And they're so loud for being so little!
My dogs let me sleep in more than those little buggers! At my house, if I wasn't up by 8 or 9 to give them romaine, they'd start freaking out. When I moved in with J, they were in the basement and we're on the 2nd floor, so they couldn't wake me up, but if they heard me in the kitchen, they'd start in. Dogs are like "Oh, we're sleeping in 'til noon today? Cool, let me keep your feet warm. Zzzz..."

But, as I'd tell J, it's why they are (were) alive, as compared to any plant I've ever had. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, yanno? My oldest was 8 years old when I finally had her put down this summer.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to grease the wheels a little bit. Get her drunk, take pictures of her, and then send them anonymously to the psycho bf, lol.
:p
Believe me, the main thing that's keeping me from setting up a scenario like that is that I'm afraid he's bluffing when he says he'd break up with her, and that he'll take out his anger instead.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Imagine... if I didn't have Topix, I might be posting my drunken ramblings on Facebook. <shudder>
Going to look at condos downtown on Saturday morning. I LOVE my apartment but being closer to work and 99% of my friends will be a good thing. I'm a pro at moving, so no big deal. Right?
I'm glad you really are embracing a positive attitude. Personally, I think moving sucks. Unpacking is great. New beginnings, fresh place, etc.

Packing and getting ready for the move -- all of that sucks.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Journey is a definite! Openers are Loverboy and Pat Benetar: 80s awesomeness.
My mom arrives on Wednesday afternoon, so I have Wednesday and Thursday off from work, and breakfast plans with a friend/co-worker on Wednesday morning.
My new friend L was over last Saturday night and my phone was blowing up with texts - I told her "It's never like this!" All of a sudden, I'm social.
Jasper and I have talked every day, we miss each other... but maybe this is one of those life-changing situations. He's planning to visit pretty soon (he misses me! he misses the dogs!) and we MIGHT meet up in Denver in March when he has a thing for school, and it's right before my work conference in Vegas. It's actually cheaper for me to fly to Denver, then Vegas, than round trip. Work will like that since the company's buying my ticket.:)
Mornings still suck, but I'm really trying to be positive and productive and busy and fun, and it seems to be working most of the time.
I'm thinking about a Chicago/Twin Cities trip next summer....
How long did you guys date before you moved in together?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

From the CH live chat:

Thought the peanut gallery would like to know that Amazon is offering the Kindle version of Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear" for only $1.99 through the end of October.

Also, link to the live chat:

http://live.washingtonpost.com/carolyn-hax-li...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
How long did you guys date before you moved in together?
6 months, if I remember correctly. Might be a little less....

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Dave on Wheels. Awesome. He lived more in his life than most of the able-bodied people I know.

Lots and lots of lessons in his blog.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you really are embracing a positive attitude. Personally, I think moving sucks. Unpacking is great. New beginnings, fresh place, etc.
Packing and getting ready for the move -- all of that sucks.
Yup, it does suck. But I've done it so much that it's kind of a routine kind of suck that happens every 1-2 years for me, so I deal.

As far as a positive attitude... if I don't try really hard to have one, at least most of the time, I'd get run over by the snowball of depression. Been there, done that, don't want to go back.:)

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
From the CH live chat:
Thought the peanut gallery would like to know that Amazon is offering the Kindle version of Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear" for only $1.99 through the end of October.
Also, link to the live chat:
http://live.washingtonpost.com/carolyn-hax-li...
Awesome! I want that book.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
The one that got me was the tweet about faking going to sleep so his mom and sister could go have a life. I mean, WTH? And the part of his last blog post where he talks about his friends getting a cough and not coming back.
Throughout it all, it's his attitude. He has so much to give to everyone.

I'm passing on the links. I can't be the only one sitting her at work feeling very sad by it all but thinking he'd hate that anyone was sad about it. He'd want people to celebrate his life.

And I didn't even know him. Imagine the people who really knew him.
Sam I Am

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout it all, it's his attitude. He has so much to give to everyone.
I'm passing on the links. I can't be the only one sitting her at work feeling very sad by it all but thinking he'd hate that anyone was sad about it. He'd want people to celebrate his life.
And I didn't even know him. Imagine the people who really knew him.
You're absolutely right. His attitude was better than most people who have everything in the world going for them. I really wish I'd gotten to meet him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

I, too, loved the tweet about faking being asleep so his mom and sister could go enjoy themselves.

He thinks outside of himself.

My friend had two nephews -- twins -- born with a very aggressive, severe form of muscular dystrophy (duchene or something like that). Life expectancy was age 20 for each of them.

One twin was pessimistic and a total debbie downer, the other was the total opposite. Friend loved both nephews, but said it was tough to treat them equally because the negative one was so much more difficult to be around.

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Move over Sandusky. Hell's waiting room just got a little more crowded.

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-gets-99-years-priso...

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

I love Carolyn Hax. I am saving this, just in case I ever need to refer to it (which I hope I never do, but I just don't trust my BIL to change).

From today's live chat:

Yes, kids suffer in a divorce.

They also suffer when they share a home with an alcoholic or problem drinker who has not done the hard work to get well.

And they suffer when their parents don't get along and/or respect each other, yet remain yoked to each other out of an underexamined sense of duty.

And they suffer when their parents make choices for the family based on appearances and/or public opinion instead of developing, then trusting, their own internal compasses.

Take care of yourself, take care of your children, and be fierce in your dedication to what is right, fair and realistic. That is the foundation of a rewarding life, no matter what shape it takes.

A good lawyer and family therapist will help, too, before you take even the first steps toward separation, since a parent who abuses alcohol is a major custody concern.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Move over Sandusky. Hell's waiting room just got a little more crowded.
http://news.yahoo.com/mom-gets-99-years-priso...
Did you read the whole article? One of the defenses was that the defedndant was abused as a child.The judge reportedly believed that. So who are her 5 kids(including the little girl with the glued hands) living with? Defendant's mother.

Say a prayer for those kids...or someone get clarification from Texas

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/12/stock-up-on...

What a joke of a headline. Stock up on stamps? For a 1 penny increase? How many stamps do you use in a year. Let's be crazy and say you send out 10 envelopes a month. 120 per year. Really? We should run out and stock up to save $1.20 over the course of the year? So go out and spend $54 right now to get 120 stamps to save $1.20.
Sam I Am

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I, too, loved the tweet about faking being asleep so his mom and sister could go enjoy themselves.
He thinks outside of himself.
My friend had two nephews -- twins -- born with a very aggressive, severe form of muscular dystrophy (duchene or something like that). Life expectancy was age 20 for each of them.
One twin was pessimistic and a total debbie downer, the other was the total opposite. Friend loved both nephews, but said it was tough to treat them equally because the negative one was so much more difficult to be around.
Both twins born with the same severe disability? Wow. My problems get less significant every day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
I love Carolyn Hax. I am saving this, just in case I ever need to refer to it (which I hope I never do, but I just don't trust my BIL to change).
From today's live chat:
Yes, kids suffer in a divorce.
They also suffer when they share a home with an alcoholic or problem drinker who has not done the hard work to get well.
And they suffer when their parents don't get along and/or respect each other, yet remain yoked to each other out of an underexamined sense of duty.
And they suffer when their parents make choices for the family based on appearances and/or public opinion instead of developing, then trusting, their own internal compasses.
Take care of yourself, take care of your children, and be fierce in your dedication to what is right, fair and realistic. That is the foundation of a rewarding life, no matter what shape it takes.
A good lawyer and family therapist will help, too, before you take even the first steps toward separation, since a parent who abuses alcohol is a major custody concern.
I shared that in today's Hax forum, and emailed it to Nick.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,521 - 73,540 of96,392
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

87 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min LRS 167,751
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min dem 1,037,636
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,595
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min litesong 43,183
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 53 min Chicagobunny 510
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 56 min Chicagobunny 3,794
IL Who do you support for Treasurer in Illinois in... (Oct '10) 59 min Chicagobunny 113
Amy 4-24 59 min Kuuipo 34
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance