Comments
73,441 - 73,460 of 97,916 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74393 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!
Was just reading a story about the decline in PC sales and whether or not the pc industry is dying.
I think it is silly to think so. I think sales are down because people are not upgrading their pc's as often since there are other toys to buy(namely tablets). Additionally, I think that a family could get by with 1 pc just fine, but maybe buy multiple tablets as personal devices for the different household members and therefore, they use the pc even less.
But the poll is, who here thinks they would be fine having JUST a tablet/ipad and/or a smart phone to handle all your computing needs and can see a time that you don't own a desktop/laptop computer at all?
I love having a tablet, but I still view it as an expensive toy.
I need a computer if I want to do online gaming (or any kind of gaming on a decent-sized monitor).

If I had to choose between a computer and my ipad, I'd choose my computer. I need what it has to offer more than I need the portability of a $700 toy.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74394 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!
Was just reading a story about the decline in PC sales and whether or not the pc industry is dying.
I think it is silly to think so. I think sales are down because people are not upgrading their pc's as often since there are other toys to buy(namely tablets). Additionally, I think that a family could get by with 1 pc just fine, but maybe buy multiple tablets as personal devices for the different household members and therefore, they use the pc even less.
But the poll is, who here thinks they would be fine having JUST a tablet/ipad and/or a smart phone to handle all your computing needs and can see a time that you don't own a desktop/laptop computer at all?
I agree with you. I keep PDFs of my tax returns and other financial stuff on my personal laptop (as opposed to my work laptop) that I don't think I could do with a tablet. I'm not sure. But the laptop was only $400 so... <mimishrug>

Location hidden

#74395 Oct 11, 2012
"And a Masterpiece place"?

Miami, FL

#74396 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could...but I wouldn't let him eat it by the time it gets to you.:-D
I think I'm going to set up a night for the Merlot and a Masterpiece place, and then I'm going to invite friends, the bunco girls, and the hockey girls. I've never arranged anything like this before. Go introverted me!
You socialite, you!
:)

I take it the friends, bunco girls, and hockey girls don't know each other?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#74397 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I guess my MIL ended up showing up at the hospital at some point this morning. Now she's "helping out" at our house, so I really don't want to go home. Anybody need anything from the store?
check with Moon or Mimi... i bet they would welcome yuo for a cuppa... and they're not far out of hte way from your usual route home... ;-D

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#74398 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!
I need my computer. Probably all in my head right now. Sorta like when cell phones became even more popular and I still had a landline. Thought I needed that. Been without a landline for over 10 years now.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74399 Oct 11, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
"And a Masterpiece place"?
Drink and paint. You supply the drinks/snacks, they supply the art supplies and instruction. It's good fun.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74400 Oct 11, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
You socialite, you!
I take it the friends, bunco girls, and hockey girls don't know each other?
Friends are mostly encompassed in one group or the other, but no, Bunco and hockey girls don't know each other.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74401 Oct 11, 2012
Holy shyte, that ended up to be 45 people invited. I had trouble rustlin' up three girls to be my maids of honor three years ago...
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74402 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Holy shyte, that ended up to be 45 people invited. I had trouble rustlin' up three girls to be my maids of honor three years ago...
Sounds like fun. No gift needed.

Will you supply the snacks and drinks on your own or will it be something of potluck/BYO?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74403 Oct 11, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like fun. No gift needed.
Will you supply the snacks and drinks on your own or will it be something of potluck/BYO?
Potluck.

5 people signed up already! I sometimes forget I'm probably an okay person to hang around and that I'm not in junior high anymore...

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74404 Oct 11, 2012
^^Including the chick that gave birth today, for Pete's sake. Flattered.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74405 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
^^Including the chick that gave birth today, for Pete's sake. Flattered.
fantastic. i'm trying to arrange a bra and panty tickle fight with red & jamwow. you and the girls can join in after you're all merlot'd up. maybe i can provide finger paint to keep with the masterpiece theme

Boynton Beach, FL

#74406 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Wow! I'm solidly impressed. I don't think I *know* 45 people all in one city....

Boynton Beach, FL

#74407 Oct 11, 2012
So I find myself having to choose between lunch dates, choose between Friday night plans, and a Journey concert with friends on Saturday night. On one hand, I'm patting myself on the back for making all these plans to stay busy and not mope, and on the other hand I'm amazed by and thankful for all the wonderful people in my life. Including you guys. :)

Location hidden

#74408 Oct 11, 2012
I vote for Saturday! first of all, I love Journey.:) Second, your mom's coming this weekend, isn't she? So if she gets in Friday night, that gives you time together that night. By Saturday night, you'll both appreciate some alone time, right?(Or... apart from each other time.)

Boynton Beach, FL

#74409 Oct 11, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I vote for Saturday! first of all, I love Journey.:) Second, your mom's coming this weekend, isn't she? So if she gets in Friday night, that gives you time together that night. By Saturday night, you'll both appreciate some alone time, right?(Or... apart from each other time.)
Oh, Journey is a definite! Openers are Loverboy and Pat Benetar: 80s awesomeness.

My mom arrives on Wednesday afternoon, so I have Wednesday and Thursday off from work, and breakfast plans with a friend/co-worker on Wednesday morning.

My new friend L was over last Saturday night and my phone was blowing up with texts - I told her "It's never like this!" All of a sudden, I'm social.

Jasper and I have talked every day, we miss each other... but maybe this is one of those life-changing situations. He's planning to visit pretty soon (he misses me! he misses the dogs!) and we MIGHT meet up in Denver in March when he has a thing for school, and it's right before my work conference in Vegas. It's actually cheaper for me to fly to Denver, then Vegas, than round trip. Work will like that since the company's buying my ticket.:)

Mornings still suck, but I'm really trying to be positive and productive and busy and fun, and it seems to be working most of the time.

I'm thinking about a Chicago/Twin Cities trip next summer....

Boynton Beach, FL

#74410 Oct 11, 2012
So back to my mom... I have church on Wednesday night and book club on Thursday night, so the fact that I won't be at work on those days justifies me to attend those. My mom and I can hang out during the day and then have our time apart in the evenings.

Boynton Beach, FL

#74411 Oct 11, 2012
Imagine... if I didn't have Topix, I might be posting my drunken ramblings on Facebook. <shudder>

Going to look at condos downtown on Saturday morning. I LOVE my apartment but being closer to work and 99% of my friends will be a good thing. I'm a pro at moving, so no big deal. Right?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#74412 Oct 11, 2012
Church on a Wednesday!? That's just craziness!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min wojar 177,340
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min THE DEVIL 1,099,789
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014dal 49,448
The Israel Lobby Eliminates Another Critic 1 hr Jew Snakes 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,935
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Silly times 4,662
Engagement Ring 3 hr rodeo3queen 4
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search