Topix Chitown Regulars
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74372 Oct 11, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
this should be an intersting afternoon... lunch is mostly mountain dew & gummy pumpkins...
here's hoping i don't twitch myself down the hall and out the door!
Not a bad day to twitch outside. Did they finish repaving yet?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#74373 Oct 11, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Not a bad day to twitch outside. Did they finish repaving yet?
yes they did... but i haven't been out for a stroll since you moved, i don't think.

unfortunately, i have a meetign to review file audit results. should be interesting...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74374 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Is it to early for a spontaneous christmas poll? Top 5 christmas albums?
Mannheim Steamroller: Christmas is the only *album* I can think of that I don't hate.

I do enjoy religious Christmas songs, though, since they have sentimental value and they don't get played much in retail. The Hallelujah Chorus reminds me of my mom. Last year, my dad posted a YouTube vid of a flash mob choir singing it at a mall and I was bawling by the end; it was beautiful.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74375 Oct 11, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
yes they did... but i haven't been out for a stroll since you moved, i don't think.
unfortunately, i have a meetign to review file audit results. should be interesting...
I sent you an email
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74376 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mannheim Steamroller: Christmas is the only *album* I can think of that I don't hate.
I do enjoy religious Christmas songs, though, since they have sentimental value and they don't get played much in retail. The Hallelujah Chorus reminds me of my mom. Last year, my dad posted a YouTube vid of a flash mob choir singing it at a mall and I was bawling by the end; it was beautiful.
Oh okay...
Mannheim Steamroller and anything by John Rutter

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74377 Oct 11, 2012
these may not be the official names but:

nat king cole's xmas album
the complete elvis xmas
dean martin making spirits bright
gene autry's xmas album

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74378 Oct 11, 2012
I want all Elvis christmas songs to be eliminated from the planet. We finally took mom's Elvis christmas tape (and then later the CD) away and she never got it back (three of us hated it, so she lost that battle). I never want to hear 'Blue christmas" (and those awful backing vocals) again.

(but I do like 'In the ghetto.')

I admit that in general, I do not like new Christmas songs. So my favorite artists when they record a christmas album, I skip right over those new ones. Iwant the standard christmas songs.

Location hidden

#74379 Oct 11, 2012
Nat King COle is a wonderful choice.

I should see if kd lang has a christmas CD -- I"m at Amazon ordering some stuff for me and Nick anyway.

Location hidden

#74380 Oct 11, 2012
Man, I'm covering the front desk. No wonder our receptionist doesn't/can't work up here. This computer bites. I get signed out of internet windows, which is a pain, things take forever to process, etc.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74381 Oct 11, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I want all Elvis christmas songs to be eliminated from the planet. We finally took mom's Elvis christmas tape (and then later the CD) away and she never got it back (three of us hated it, so she lost that battle). I never want to hear 'Blue christmas" (and those awful backing vocals) again.
So you don't like rockin xmas Elvis but you like fat rhinestone jumpsuit socially conscious over the hill Elvis?

That's like saying you don't like Hot Legs era Rod Stewart but dig "Have I Told You Lately" adult contemporary Rod Stewart.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74382 Oct 11, 2012
That's like turning your nose up to Candle in the Wind era Elton John, but likeing Goodbye English Rose

:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74383 Oct 11, 2012
That's like turning off Piano Man and Only the Good Die Young, so you can listen to River of Dreams.

Location hidden

#74384 Oct 11, 2012
Heh. Remember, I just don't like christmas Elvis because my mom played it to death (and I never liked his version of Blue Christmas). But most of his songs, unless I remember when they came out (like the '70s stuff), I couldn't tell you when they came along in his career. I respect the guy, but I'm not a fan.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74385 Oct 11, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I can't hear that song in anything other than Eric Cartman's voice.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#74386 Oct 11, 2012
Another poll!

Was just reading a story about the decline in PC sales and whether or not the pc industry is dying.

I think it is silly to think so. I think sales are down because people are not upgrading their pc's as often since there are other toys to buy(namely tablets). Additionally, I think that a family could get by with 1 pc just fine, but maybe buy multiple tablets as personal devices for the different household members and therefore, they use the pc even less.

But the poll is, who here thinks they would be fine having JUST a tablet/ipad and/or a smart phone to handle all your computing needs and can see a time that you don't own a desktop/laptop computer at all?

I love having a tablet, but I still view it as an expensive toy.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74387 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!
Was just reading a story about the decline in PC sales and whether or not the pc industry is dying.
I think it is silly to think so. I think sales are down because people are not upgrading their pc's as often since there are other toys to buy(namely tablets). Additionally, I think that a family could get by with 1 pc just fine, but maybe buy multiple tablets as personal devices for the different household members and therefore, they use the pc even less.
But the poll is, who here thinks they would be fine having JUST a tablet/ipad and/or a smart phone to handle all your computing needs and can see a time that you don't own a desktop/laptop computer at all?
That depends. I think could give up my home laptop, given I still have my work one. And I'd need a keyboard for my iPad. Typing on it or my phone sucks. But I'd say my phone has taken over 90% of what I used to use my laptop for at home.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74388 Oct 11, 2012
I guess my MIL ended up showing up at the hospital at some point this morning. Now she's "helping out" at our house, so I really don't want to go home. Anybody need anything from the store?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74389 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!

We're going to have a desktop for a while. I know that the boys will eventually need laptops/tablets for homework, but our living room has a computer armoire against a wall where my husband does bills/fantasy stuff which requires paperwork in addition to the computer and he still hangs out with the rest of the family, so I don't see him changing the set-up anytime soon.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74390 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I guess my MIL ended up showing up at the hospital at some point this morning. Now she's "helping out" at our house, so I really don't want to go home. Anybody need anything from the store?
I forgot to get E's yogurt and he's flipping out. You could pick some up for me :)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74391 Oct 11, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Another poll!
I still need a computer at home. I just don't use it very often.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min Earthling-1 54,337
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dr Guru 194,410
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 53 min Doomstar 1,262,834
Cincinnati campus police officer charged with m... 4 hr joey 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Whiny1 6,254
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Ariel Sharon 70,141
Amy 7-29-15 11 hr mrs gladys kravitz 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages