Topix Chitown Regulars

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#74325 Oct 10, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Not sure. I dvr'd mine.
I'm kind of torn with that show. I watch Intervention, because as recovering addict, it's kind of theraputic. It's a reminder of how bad things can get if you aren't vigilant and how good things are when you live right. I'm always rooting for the people at the end, no matter how horrible they are in the episode.
Hoarders? I kind of watch because I want to see how gross their house is.:-/ I want them to get help and fix their lives, but it's harder to understand. You SEE that piece of rotting whatever, just THROW IT OUT!
I used to watch those show, but when i got into therapy i stopped... or maybe i just stopped any way and the timing is coincidental. also, aroudn the time i start, hubbys sister hit her crisis point and it hit too close to home. it had more of a depresive affect on me. now im getting into other things and tryign not to watch as much TV.(hooray for happy pills...)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#74326 Oct 10, 2012
Local musician I like raps philosophical about a safari in South AFrica, pretty interesting:

http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/1...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#74327 Oct 10, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
So now the USADA is going to release 1,000+ pages of documents showing (allegedly) a detailed account of Lance Armstrong's doping.
I guess since they didn't get to crucify him in a formal proceeding, they are now going to engage in a full-blown campaign to bury the guy? Talk about a vendetta.
I certainly do not condone cheating, but them engaging in a smear campaign seems a bit much. He's already been stripped of his titles and eligibility to compete. Enough is enough. And I say this not being a Lance fan.
I see your point, but by making it public this will allow other anti-doping agencies to learn about how they were able to skirt the rules for so long. Performance enhancing drugs are a big problem in lots of sports. If they never released what they know and kept it confidential, what is to stop others from doing the same thing? How do these anti-doping agencies learn how to counter these methods?

That's the only benefit I can see to it. I'm not saying they are doing it for that reason, but it is a benefit that will arise by making things public.

Armstrong's attorneys can say, but there was no impartial fact finder and these are just allegations, but he had an opportunity to challenge these allegations and choose not to. He may have felt that it was nothing more than a vendetta and to some extent it is. However, I also think given the number of former riders who have turned against him, that the allegations are true.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74328 Oct 10, 2012
Mary Schmich column fr Chi Trib

Honey, do these M&Ms make me look old?

It had never occurred to me that candy might be among the things that date a person until the other day when I was munching away on my favorite deadline sugar.

As I strolled through the office, a much younger colleague approached me, paused and fixed her eyes on my little candy bag.

Mary Schmich

Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
Maps
Chicago Illinois
Ads by Google
Download Google Chrome
Searching is fast and easy with Google's web browser.
www.google.com/chromeinvisalign Smiles
Free consults, Gorgeous results by Dr Ibrahim starting $2199 Call Now
www.OrthoCenters.org "You're eating M&Ms?" she said. "Nobody eats M&Ms anymore."

They don't?

If she had said, "Nobody is named Esther anymore," I would have nodded. If she had said, "Nobody is named Mary anymore," I might have understood.

But nobody eats M&Ms?

No, she assured me, they do not; I should not be fooled by the supply in the office candy machine.

There are many things that can date a person, subtle preferences and habits that reveal your ancient vintage no matter how up-to-date you might imagine yourself to be.

A hairstyle can do it.(Please, no nasty email.)

An AOL account. A mustache. Turning down all engagements that start past 9 p.m. Whining that the world was so much better when you were young. Knowing the names of all the Bee Gees and the lyrics to "Hey Hey We're the Monkees."

All of these things can reveal that you were not born yesterday, or 20 years ago, or 40.

Certain words are particularly telltale signs that your expiration date is coming up.

Not long ago, I used the word "slacks" in a story. "Slacks" isn't a word I use in conversation. But I was writing about a college student, and I wanted to make the point that he was dressed in something more staid and less predictable than jeans. I referred to his pants as slacks.

"Slacks?" cawed some guy on a website comment board. "How old are you?"

Let's just say I'm so old that I still eat M&Ms.

The word "slacks" doesn't sound old to me, but I am able to sense the mold growing on some words that I hear or use.

If you still call your favorite musician's new release a "record," you are old.

If you think something's cool and you call it "neat," you are not just old, you're a fuddy-duddy.

If you know what a fuddy-duddy is, you cannot read this print without a magnifying glass.

Some words withstand the battering of time. "Cool" has survived from generation to generation without losing its cool.

"Groovy," on the other hand? I still use it occasionally, always with an ironic twist, though my irony is probably not discernible to a generation too young and groovy for M&Ms.

I also still say the phone rings. But does it, now that the only ringing phones are cellphones with a retro ring tone?

A friend recently mentioned a much older man who gives away his age by saying "marvelous" — a marvelous word that makes a guy sound as old as the great Gatsby. What was once marvelous is now awesome, and even "awesome" is dog-eared after a generation of overuse.

Old-fashioned words aren't the only ones that can make a person seem old. So can hip words and phrases.

Example: "Do me a solid." If you have to ask what that means, please, never say it.

But back to candy.

I still refuse to believe that my M&Ms date me. They are not in the category of Mary Janes, wax lips, Atomic fireballs, candy cigarettes and bubble-gum cigars, all of which I am far too young to remember.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74329 Oct 10, 2012
PEllen wrote:
Mary Schmich column fr Chi Trib
Honey, do these M&Ms make me look old?
It had never occurred to me that candy might be among the things that date a person until the other day when I was munching away on my favorite deadline sugar.
As I strolled through the office, a much younger colleague approached me, paused and fixed her eyes on my little candy bag.
Mary Schmich
Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
Maps
Chicago Illinois
Ads by Google
Download Google Chrome
Searching is fast and easy with Google's web browser.
www.google.com/chromeinvisalign Smiles
Free consults, Gorgeous results by Dr Ibrahim starting $2199 Call Now
www.OrthoCenters.org "You're eating M&Ms?" she said. "Nobody eats M&Ms anymore."
They don't?
If she had said, "Nobody is named Esther anymore," I would have nodded. If she had said, "Nobody is named Mary anymore," I might have understood.
But nobody eats M&Ms?
No, she assured me, they do not; I should not be fooled by the supply in the office candy machine.
There are many things that can date a person, subtle preferences and habits that reveal your ancient vintage no matter how up-to-date you might imagine yourself to be.
A hairstyle can do it.(Please, no nasty email.)
An AOL account. A mustache. Turning down all engagements that start past 9 p.m. Whining that the world was so much better when you were young. Knowing the names of all the Bee Gees and the lyrics to "Hey Hey We're the Monkees."
All of these things can reveal that you were not born yesterday, or 20 years ago, or 40.
Certain words are particularly telltale signs that your expiration date is coming up.
Not long ago, I used the word "slacks" in a story. "Slacks" isn't a word I use in conversation. But I was writing about a college student, and I wanted to make the point that he was dressed in something more staid and less predictable than jeans. I referred to his pants as slacks.
"Slacks?" cawed some guy on a website comment board. "How old are you?"
Let's just say I'm so old that I still eat M&Ms.
The word "slacks" doesn't sound old to me, but I am able to sense the mold growing on some words that I hear or use.
If you still call your favorite musician's new release a "record," you are old.
If you think something's cool and you call it "neat," you are not just old, you're a fuddy-duddy.
If you know what a fuddy-duddy is, you cannot read this print without a magnifying glass.
Some words withstand the battering of time. "Cool" has survived from generation to generation without losing its cool.
"Groovy," on the other hand? I still use it occasionally, always with an ironic twist, though my irony is probably not discernible to a generation too young and groovy for M&Ms.
I also still say the phone rings. But does it, now that the only ringing phones are cellphones with a retro ring tone?
A friend recently mentioned a much older man who gives away his age by saying "marvelous" — a marvelous word that makes a guy sound as old as the great Gatsby. What was once marvelous is now awesome, and even "awesome" is dog-eared after a generation of overuse.
Old-fashioned words aren't the only ones that can make a person seem old. So can hip words and phrases.
Example: "Do me a solid." If you have to ask what that means, please, never say it.
But back to candy.
I still refuse to believe that my M&Ms date me. They are not in the category of Mary Janes, wax lips, Atomic fireballs, candy cigarettes and bubble-gum cigars, all of which I am far too young to remember.
Funny article, but whoever said no one eats m&m's is nuts. Hell, my one of the rewards the teacher gives out in my kindergartener's class is an M&M.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#74330 Oct 10, 2012
Um, what?

I'm going to buy a whole bunch of peanut M&Ms for the trick or treaters. Oh, what? You kids don't my old timey candy? Om nom nom. More for me.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#74331 Oct 10, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Funny article, but whoever said no one eats m&m's is nuts. Hell, my one of the rewards the teacher gives out in my kindergartener's class is an M&M.
We potty trained both girls with dark chocolate M&M's.

Location hidden

#74332 Oct 10, 2012
M&ms are among the only milk chocolate items I still enjoy!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74333 Oct 10, 2012
Heh.

This article is only 3 years old. Business Week reports M&M's #1 in worldwide sales for candy.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content...
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74334 Oct 10, 2012
So I wrote back to the columnist InDefense of M&M's and used a cut an paste quote from Matilda

I believe the direct quote would be “You kids don't my old timey candy? Om nom nom. More for me.”

Look for it in the Chicago Tribune. Hah!

(Screen names are such good things to have when you are goofing off)
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#74335 Oct 10, 2012
PEllen wrote:
So I wrote back to the columnist InDefense of M&M's and used a cut an paste quote from Matilda
I believe the direct quote would be “You kids don't my old timey candy? Om nom nom. More for me.”
She responded!!
That’s hilarious, P****. I admire that you did a survey.
Thank you!
Mary Schmich
(Ah, if she only knew....)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74336 Oct 10, 2012
PEllen wrote:

ha!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#74337 Oct 11, 2012

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#74338 Oct 11, 2012
So, I was in a hurry to get Ry to school this morning and I'm the first to admit that I'm not good at pulling up to curbs (I'm always afraid of being too far out and I was driving my husband's car today). The curbs are very jagged around the school and I am now sitting here waiting for Triple A to come change my tire. It took all if 30 seconds for the tire to deflate after I hit the curb - the hole is that big. I'll post pics of the curb on FB later.

I used to change tires myself, but I don't think I can anymore since they use the power tools to tighten the lugnuts. May as well get something out of this AAA membership.

Location hidden

#74339 Oct 11, 2012
wow, that curb really shredded your tire!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74340 Oct 11, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
So, I was in a hurry to get Ry to school this morning and I'm the first to admit that I'm not good at pulling up to curbs (I'm always afraid of being too far out and I was driving my husband's car today). The curbs are very jagged around the school and I am now sitting here waiting for Triple A to come change my tire. It took all if 30 seconds for the tire to deflate after I hit the curb - the hole is that big. I'll post pics of the curb on FB later.
I used to change tires myself, but I don't think I can anymore since they use the power tools to tighten the lugnuts. May as well get something out of this AAA membership.
Oh, suck.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#74341 Oct 11, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
Aw, what a pain.
:(

At least you have Words With Friends to keep you occupied while you wait.:)

“reign in blood”

Bronx, NY

#74342 Oct 11, 2012
Women drivers....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#74343 Oct 11, 2012
Aw, snap. My friends baby is about to be born. Cool birthdate - 10-11-12.

Location hidden

#74344 Oct 11, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Aw, snap. My friends baby is about to be born. Cool birthdate - 10-11-12.
That IS a cool birthdate!\So easy even for the rest of us to remember.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Maverick 808 237,732
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Joy 1,497,933
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Mothra 63,392
Nancy Pelosi (our demented gal). 6 hr Willie Wackoff 6
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr TRD 71,396
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 6 hr GEORGIA 2,486
Review: 24hrTrash 7 hr Steve smith 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages