Topix Chitown Regulars

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments (Page 3,665)

Showing posts 73,281 - 73,300 of97,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74219
Oct 9, 2012
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
The dog thing gets me. I'm assuming she didn't adopt the dog in the last 30 days...so he knew she had one shortly after or even before dating her. I think I'd leave my marriage before I'd give up my dogs...
She's had the dog for about 6 months, I think. TO be fair, she was thinking about giving the dog to her parents anyway, for a few different reasons, so she probably mentioned that to him and he latched onto it. But to get annoyed at someone's schedule and travel limitations because of their pet is ca-razy....

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74220
Oct 9, 2012
 
Matilda77 wrote:
At best, she ends up in a relationship like my MIL and step-FIL. He's never hit her, but he is controlling and verbally abusive.
I have reason to believe that this guy will hit my friend. He hasn't yet, that I know of, but I do think that's where this is leading.
:(

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74221
Oct 9, 2012
 
HA!
(chill bro, peeps will start to talk...)
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Rush is awesome!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74222
Oct 9, 2012
 
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>The smarter, craftier ones are more gradual about it.
This one is impatient, which (IME) usually means that when he does get physical, it won't be as minor an assault. The less impatient ones will start with more subtle things and by the time they actually strike the woman they've already gotten her conditioned by restraining, pushing/shoving and other smaller assaults.
I hope she gets out before she gets hurt.
That's what makes it so scary - that he is rushing things and she is telling her friends, but not ending the relationship.

I know we have talked about this book on here before, but she might recognize her relationship if she reads the book The Gift Of Fear and that may give her the confidence to leave.

Realistically, though, if she has already established a pattern of unhealthy relationships, there is not much that anyone can do other than be there for support when/if she finally decides to leave. Wouldn't you agree?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74223
Oct 9, 2012
 
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I have reason to believe that this guy will hit my friend. He hasn't yet, that I know of, but I do think that's where this is leading.
:(
So she needs a guy who is decent but not really emotionally available for a long term relationship until she gets her head straightened out, but one she can visit on weekends to get away from the Creep.

What about Jasper?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74224
Oct 9, 2012
 
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what makes it so scary - that he is rushing things and she is telling her friends, but not ending the relationship.
I know we have talked about this book on here before, but she might recognize her relationship if she reads the book The Gift Of Fear and that may give her the confidence to leave.
Realistically, though, if she has already established a pattern of unhealthy relationships, there is not much that anyone can do other than be there for support when/if she finally decides to leave. Wouldn't you agree?
Absolutely. The people I've helped (personally, not while I was volunteering at the shelter/on the hotline) I had to just stick it out, wouldn't let the guys drive me off. When they'd insult me, I'd just smile. And when my friends woke up and got them out, I was still there. Many of their other friends were not, but I knew when it was time, they'd need someone there for them.
I did NOT say "I told you so". I DID say "I have been so afraid for you".

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74225
Oct 9, 2012
 

Judged:

1

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>So she needs a guy who is decent but not really emotionally available for a long term relationship until she gets her head straightened out, but one she can visit on weekends to get away from the Creep.

What about Jasper?
That's not nice or funny.

We're supposed to be supportive of JMW, our friend who is having a hard time with her transition, and offering real advice for how she can help her friend.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74226
Oct 9, 2012
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
I don't automatically jump to the conclusion that he is violent.
We're men. We're either p whipped, like good little men should be, or we're evil, woman beating abusers.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74227
Oct 9, 2012
 
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely. The people I've helped (personally, not while I was volunteering at the shelter/on the hotline) I had to just stick it out, wouldn't let the guys drive me off. When they'd insult me, I'd just smile. And when my friends woke up and got them out, I was still there. Many of their other friends were not, but I knew when it was time, they'd need someone there for them.
I did NOT say "I told you so". I DID say "I have been so afraid for you".
One GF of mine was dating someone who had abused his ex-wife. My GF didn't know about it. I knew she probably wouldn't believe me, that her BF would say I was lying, etc. But I decided it was better to tell her the best I could bcuz if I didn't and she married him (they were speaking of marriage), I would always regret it.

Well she married him.

Two years later she landed in the hospital and almost died. She then divorced him.

She called me up and apologized. I said no apology needed. She didn't know, didn't realize at the time.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74228
Oct 9, 2012
 
As for Sandusky, no sentence is long enough but the one he received is pretty good start.

I do believe he will have a horrific time in prison. I'm glad about that.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74229
Oct 9, 2012
 
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not nice or funny.
We're supposed to be supportive of JMW, our friend who is having a hard time with her transition, and offering real advice for how she can help her friend.
Thanks Jess.

PEllen, I'm sure you were just trying to be funny, but that was a pretty messed up comment.

My friend A doesn't need a new man to rescue her from this... she needs to recognize her own self-worth and not put up with being treated poorly for another second.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74230
Oct 9, 2012
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
So she needs a guy who is decent but not really emotionally available for a long term relationship until she gets her head straightened out, but one she can visit on weekends to get away from the Creep.
What about Jasper?
Is this a serious comment or is it supposed to be funny?

If its supposed to be funny, I don't get the joke. If its supposed to be serious, I think its a quite odd suggestion.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74231
Oct 9, 2012
 
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
We're men. We're either p whipped, like good little men should be, or we're evil, woman beating abusers.
Only the unstable ones.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74232
Oct 9, 2012
 
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
We're men. We're either p whipped, like good little men should be, or we're evil, woman beating abusers.
Yep, because there's no in between.*eye roll*

I think we've done a pretty good job keeping this conversation pro-man. We're just anti-that-guy. And guys like him. Out of my bazillion girlfriends, I can think of only 2 or 3 who have SO's who are real d-bags, and they're not even on the level of Jamwow's friend's boyfriend. On the reverse, if I saw a woman treat her man like shyte, I couldn't be supportive of that, either.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74233
Oct 9, 2012
 
Just occured to me that THAT Pellen had no avatar and was not logged in. Probably a troll.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74234
Oct 9, 2012
 
That might not have been PEllen but a faker.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74235
Oct 9, 2012
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just occured to me that THAT Pellen had no avatar and was not logged in. Probably a troll.
I'm on my iPhone, so I can't tell who is logged in and who isn't (I can see avatars, but people who don't log in don't appear all that different).

My apologies to the real PEllen if I was talking to a troll.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74236
Oct 9, 2012
 
http://consumerist.com/2012/10/09/sorry-plus-...

"But the message is clear: in order to be considered 'sexy,' Ursula has to slim down a lot."

And the problem is? Additionaly, is their really a huge demand for "full figured" sized costumes that show of a lot of skin?

I can see it now. "Lets make a bunch of fat sexy cinderella costumes just to give the large ladies an option most of them would not choose anyway. It won't sell, but hey, that's not our goal. Our goal is to include everyone."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74237
Oct 9, 2012
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://consumerist.com/2012/10 /09/sorry-plus-size-women-your e-too-fat-to-dress-as-fat-lady -for-halloween/
"But the message is clear: in order to be considered 'sexy,' Ursula has to slim down a lot."
And the problem is? Additionaly, is their really a huge demand for "full figured" sized costumes that show of a lot of skin?
I can see it now. "Lets make a bunch of fat sexy cinderella costumes just to give the large ladies an option most of them would not choose anyway. It won't sell, but hey, that's not our goal. Our goal is to include everyone."
They have an option: MAKE THEIR OWN DAMN COSTUME.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74238
Oct 9, 2012
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
Just occured to me that THAT Pellen had no avatar and was not logged in. Probably a troll.
Good point, I didn't even notice that.

Pelly, if it wasn't you, sorry!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,281 - 73,300 of97,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

107 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min lily boca raton fl 1,077,621
Amy 7-22 6 min edogxxx 5
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 12 min truth 48,816
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min Atticus Tiberius Finch 174,381
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 38 min scirocco 67,823
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr Red Jackal 1,850
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 2 hr APPRECIATIATATER SPUD 6
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••