Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70919 Aug 15, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Woot for your heart being okay, Squish!
Heh, tangent story to your hoarding. Profoundly physically disabled guy, M, in my Java class just moved to town. Not far, just from the Peoria area, but he asked all the guys in our class to help him move this past weekend. His wife is also somewhat physically disabled, so I don't think she's much help in that process, either. Anyway, he takes Monday and Tuesday off to organize the new place after the move--I think he had family come help. Comes in this morning and goes "We got organized! We took 20 boxes of stuff to the dumpster and another 20 boxes of stuff to Goodwill!"
WTF, man? You made people you barely know move FORTY boxes of shiz that they didn't have to? Yeah, I jokingly pointed this out, but I could see some grimaces from the guys that helped.
<face palm>

Yeah, you can carry 40 boxes by yourself. What a tool!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#70920 Aug 15, 2012
J completely went off on SIL yesterday, about a bunch of stuff. Suddenly, the cleaning of her room is going much smoother.:-D

I guess she was whining about not having gotten some shot she needed for school. My MIL, to her credit, actually gets off her duff and shops around for cheap clinics to get it done at and books her an appointment, for 10 this morning. J hears SIL say on the phone, "No, that's too early!" and he just wigs out on her. Before that she had been "cleaning" her room and popping in to his office every five minutes with "What should I do with my diploma?" "Hey, remember this shirt?" "OMG, I found my <whatever>" while he's trying to work.

I guess he just unleashed the fury. About her always acting like a victim, not being grateful for when people do stuff for her, the food in her room, all kinds of stuff. Temporarily effective in changing her behavior. I'll take it. Because at the rate we were going, shiz was not getting cleaned.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#70921 Aug 15, 2012
RACE wrote:
I carry my weapon everywhere, even while I am in my own home or yard. If I need to, I remove it before entering a place I am forbidden from carrying (post office, etc) and lock it in my vehicle.
I dont pay attention do the signs that say "No weapons allowed", like at the mall. They can only ask that you leave, you wont get arrested.
No, thank goodness, have never had to draw it, and I hope I never do. If I feel the need to draw it, I will be afraid for my life at that point.
<quoted text>
Even though such behavior is foreign to me, I support your right to carry. Even if you carry places you are prohibited from , you at least recognize that they can ask you to leave if they know you have it. But I gotta say, the fact that you carry it around your house makes you seem....nutty.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#70922 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Question for the Olympic watchers.
What do you think about all the noise about NBC's tape delay of the big events in prime time. I've read nothing but negative about this decision, but it was announced today that viewership shattered all Olympic records ever.
Then I started to think about it. Why are (seemingly) so many people upset that the events were not broadcast on live on tv(they were live webcasted)? I'm thinking most people who have a job would not be able to be watching the events live on tv anyway. Anyone who needed up to the minute info would be getting it from the web. Not from a live tv broadcast. Did not having them boradcast live on tv bother anyone here?
I tried my best to avoid any sport newscast so I could watch the Olympics at night without knowing what the outcome was. I was glad for the nighttime airings.
Sam I Am

Schaumburg, IL

#70923 Aug 15, 2012
RACE wrote:
Just saw The intriguing life of Timothy Green, or something like that. Not officially showing till tomorrow, but was a special screening, and it was free.
So, had a calzone beforehand in a pizza place that doubled as a church. The only non religious thing in the place was the fish tank. Next my date wanted to bring in candy but we forgot to stop for some, so I went out to get it (yup, sneaking in candy into the theater) She stayed in line (there was a line for the movie, I dunno why) So while i am walking around looking for a Walgreen (google said one was nearby), I finally asked someone and turns out I was going wrong direction. So I said F* that, and bought some crap out of Lowe's Probably wound up paying what I would have in the theater. Walking back (damn it was getting hot) she texts me that she is in the 4th row from top in the center, so they were letting people in anyway. I get in line and it turns out that they are wanding people looking for camcorders. Of course I was carrying my weapon, so rather than cause a scene, I step out of line and text her that she needs to come out. 15 minutes later, she comes out with the keys. She goes back inside, I go put my weapon in the car, and back in line....Crap! I realized that my xtra magazine was gonna set off that wand thingy too! Xtra bullets would have been harder to explain than the weapon. Back to the car, I dump the magazine and my keys in the glovebox and again, get in line. Get past the wand person and the guy wants my ticket. She has my ticket!! Get a supervisor who follows me in to verify. Go up to 4 rows from the top, center of the row....No Date!! I was like..."but, but..." Supervisor says maybe it is in the other movie room, so off we trundle into the other room, and there she is. Supervisor left, I got two melted candy bars in my pocket and I was sweating. Felt good to sit down though.
Movie was ok, corny in spots but basically a warm fuzzy movie.
Why would you take your gun into the theater? Better yet, why would you take a date somewhere you felt like you had to have your gun?
Sam I Am

Schaumburg, IL

#70924 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Even though such behavior is foreign to me, I support your right to carry. Even if you carry places you are prohibited from , you at least recognize that they can ask you to leave if they know you have it. But I gotta say, the fact that you carry it around your house makes you seem....nutty.
If he is going to ask people to respect his right to own and carry a gun, he should respect the rights of others to prohibit guns on their property and not carry there in the first place. Respect is a two-way street.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#70925 Aug 15, 2012
RACE wrote:
Could still be an illegal discharge of a weapon (even if its an accident) The DA has to be pretty bored though to pursue it.
<quoted text>
So you don't think this deserves some sort of punishment? That bullet could easily have gone into someone else. Maybe fatally. I would support a heavy fine and revocation of conceal and carry privileges from someone who is unable to control his weapon in public. From what little I have read, it seems like this guy took zero safety precautions. Someone like that should not have the privilege to carry it around. Leave it at home.

Yeah, its all funny cause he shot himself in the ass, but this could have been tragic.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#70926 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Even though such behavior is foreign to me, I support your right to carry. Even if you carry places you are prohibited from , you at least recognize that they can ask you to leave if they know you have it. But I gotta say, the fact that you carry it around your house makes you seem....nutty.
Not to me. I won't go into how many things I think some of y'all do that I find somewhat crazy, if not completely stupid. We're human, remember? There is no One True Way.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Jersey City, NJ

#70927 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Agreed. If you feel a need to pack heat while you're weeding your flower bed, you might be a bit... paranoid.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Jersey City, NJ

#70928 Aug 15, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
If he is going to ask people to respect his right to own and carry a gun, he should respect the rights of others to prohibit guns on their property and not carry there in the first place. Respect is a two-way street.
I'll stick up for race, here. The desires of an anti-gun nut shouldn't impede my right to carry.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#70929 Aug 15, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Heh, tangent story to your hoarding. Profoundly physically disabled guy, M, in my Java class just moved to town. Not far, just from the Peoria area, but he asked all the guys in our class to help him move this past weekend. His wife is also somewhat physically disabled, so I don't think she's much help in that process, either. Anyway, he takes Monday and Tuesday off to organize the new place after the move--I think he had family come help. Comes in this morning and goes "We got organized! We took 20 boxes of stuff to the dumpster and another 20 boxes of stuff to Goodwill!"
WTF, man? You made people you barely know move FORTY boxes of shiz that they didn't have to? Yeah, I jokingly pointed this out, but I could see some grimaces from the guys that helped.
1. Yes, yay! to squishy for having a healthy heart.

2. In one of my early moves, I had some boxes (!) of magazines (seventeen, cosmo, etc.). I really did go through them numerous times over the years, but when It was time to move, I realized that if my dad or friends saw that they were moving OLD MAGAZINES, I'd be in trouble. I got rid of anything I wouldn't want to move for someone else.

Location hidden

#70930 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't think this deserves some sort of punishment? That bullet could easily have gone into someone else. Maybe fatally. I would support a heavy fine and revocation of conceal and carry privileges from someone who is unable to control his weapon in public. From what little I have read, it seems like this guy took zero safety precautions. Someone like that should not have the privilege to carry it around. Leave it at home.
Yeah, its all funny cause he shot himself in the ass, but this could have been tragic.
ITA.

In another story, we had a young man get shot in the head -- 1 p.m., sunday afternoon, public parking lot -- trying to buy a cell phone from someone via craigslist (something he did regularly, apparently, always upgrading his phone). The story made it clear that he did all the safety precautions. When the seller admitted that he didn't ghave the phone on him, buyer got nervous and seller put a gun to his head and shot him.

He's claiming the "gun just went off."

I told Nick that I don't buy that at all -- I've shot plenty of different kinds of guns, and none had a trigger that would go off without intent to pull the trigger.

But Nick thinks that guns you illegally buy off the streets likely have been tampered with/altered enough over time that they may not work properly and may go off easier (not that it should get this bozo off of murder 1 charges).

Thoughts, Race?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#70931 Aug 15, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Yes, yay! to squishy for having a healthy heart.
2. In one of my early moves, I had some boxes (!) of magazines (seventeen, cosmo, etc.). I really did go through them numerous times over the years, but when It was time to move, I realized that if my dad or friends saw that they were moving OLD MAGAZINES, I'd be in trouble. I got rid of anything I wouldn't want to move for someone else.
Matilda77 wrote:
Thank you both for the shout-out to my heart. There's still something wrong but I'm glad to know it's not that.

And both your stories exemplify why we hire movers. They could care less what is in the boxes as long as they get paid.

I did find some old magazines yesterday, but they were still worth keeping. Couple of old Playboy's (mmmm, Sherilyn Fenn) and some others that have people I actually know in them. One friend won a Survior-like trip sponsored by High Times, except it was the weed getting voted out. Had to keep the Times with him on the cover!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#70932 Aug 15, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that. In fact, most of the times I've moved, I had all the boxes and things that would fit in my car already moved and I just had friends help with the furniture. J had a few boxes in his (our) house that he went through before I moved in to make space for my stuff and I'm like...why would you keep a box of college notebooks for three moves?
2nd Awhole

United States

#70933 Aug 15, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when you've got the gun!

Location hidden

#70934 Aug 15, 2012
OMG. this is hilarious.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398

Be sure to click ont he comments -- they're the best.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#70935 Aug 15, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
why would you keep a box of college notebooks for three moves?
Why would you keep a box of novels? Biographies? Non-fiction history books? For me, there is a higher chance(though still very low) that I may want to crack open a college text book for a refresher on something than there is of me reading a book a second time, yet they all sit on the bookshelf. I have a few college text books and I am in my 8th(and final) post college place of residence.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#70936 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Why would you keep a box of novels? Biographies? Non-fiction history books? For me, there is a higher chance(though still very low) that I may want to crack open a college text book for a refresher on something than there is of me reading a book a second time, yet they all sit on the bookshelf. I have a few college text books and I am in my 8th(and final) post college place of residence.
Notebooks. Not even textbooks. Just pages and pages of scribbled notes in cheap notbooks with smooshed metal ring binders. I kept my textbooks for a couple moves, but notes? Aside from maybe a syllabus and some tests or term papers, all that stuff got tossed right after graduation.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#70937 Aug 15, 2012
Ugh, instant carb-ma. We've been back hard core on the low-carb diet the last week and a half and I cheated with a fun sized box of Milk Duds after lunch today. First Dud I bit in to and I lost a crown. Hork.

Since: Jun 09

Madison, WI

#70938 Aug 15, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Question for the Olympic watchers.
What do you think about all the noise about NBC's tape delay of the big events in prime time. I've read nothing but negative about this decision, but it was announced today that viewership shattered all Olympic records ever.
Then I started to think about it. Why are (seemingly) so many people upset that the events were not broadcast on live on tv(they were live webcasted)? I'm thinking most people who have a job would not be able to be watching the events live on tv anyway. Anyone who needed up to the minute info would be getting it from the web. Not from a live tv broadcast. Did not having them boradcast live on tv bother anyone here?
That's the thing. It *WAS* available live. If it's really important to you, you could watch it another way. Still, I think it's a bit disappointing how our technology isn't being used to its fullest ability. If it weren't all the companies being unable to figure out who should get paid what for it all, we could have special channels of the Olympics streamed live to our cable/satellite services. Then, the network could still do its thing and air delayed, sappy versions of it. Sure, many of us can hook up our computers to the TV or have smart TVs/devices and watch webcasts on the big screen, but it's really a shame that so much of this is disjointed. It's all about trying to figure out who gets what revenues, well, and the lack of competition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min red and right 189,885
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min shinningelectr0n 1,232,917
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a 1 hr Local Chicago 1
Affidavit: White House birth certificate is a F... 1 hr JustTheFACTS 1
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 2 hr Lexus1985 425
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr Lexus1985 407
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr IBdaMann 53,520
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]