Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#61830 Feb 9, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there even such a thing as a 'social smoker' over the age of 16 or so?
I have friends who are social smokers. THey'll smoke a cigarette or two at the bar or a party, or have one cigarette a night at home, but if they were told they had to quit, they'd have no problem quitting. but the guys I met smoked throughout the ENTIRE DATE. While on a date with a nonsmoker. That told me that they're probably chain smokers when they can get away with it. I wouldn't kiss 'em.

Since: Aug 09

Madison, WI

#61831 Feb 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My only lie I tell when dating is that I have two cats. And now I don't have to lie about that anymore. ;)
and what is the lie? Do you tell them that you have cats when you don't? or do you tell them you don't have cats when you do?

Since: Jun 09

Verona, WI

#61832 Feb 9, 2012
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
and what is the lie? Do you tell them that you have cats when you don't? or do you tell them you don't have cats when you do?
She simply omitted that they were Siberian tigers who would devour her dates if they didn't *perform* to her satisfaction! ;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#61833 Feb 9, 2012
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
When I had three or four cats, I would lie and say I have two. My oldest cat died in December, so now I won't have to lie when I move!:)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#61834 Feb 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
FOUR glasses of wine on a first date with someone who doesn't seem to be much of a drinker? Tells you to plan the second date?
Bail on Saturday. You owe him nothing, least of all a preciuos weekend night.
yup... i was thinking of you, chel, and was sendnig good luck vibes. i wasn't into dating "around" much, i'm just not that social like that. I was going to say think of it as meeting new people, not necessarily thinking of it as *(dunh, dunh, dunh <ominous and incidental music>) "dating."

Taht being said, i wouldn't be surprised to hear that you had an exhausting week and/or thoguth you were coming down with a cold on saturday... ;-P

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#61835 Feb 9, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Puebla 2658 N Milwaukee Ave
It's right near the Logan Theater and the Logan Square Blue Line stop.
Darn, now I want to go. We used to live near here and would get take out ALL the time. Some of L's first solid food was their beans and rice. We miss it so.
ok, thanks. i'll keep it in mind if i can con - i mean, talk - hubby into going into "The City"... somehow i was thinking it was up by where you live, which is ok by hubby.

he's ok going to the Loop or soem places Downtown, but anything in the neighborhoods (or really, within an imaginary circle that is bordered on the west by 294) needs a bit of encouragement. which is kinda funny because when we started dating, i lived right by O'Hare, so ANYTHING in my area was in taht zone!

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#61836 Feb 9, 2012
cheluzal wrote:
PS
I did NOT call and plan he 2nd date. He called me and told me but I politely nudged it back to him.
Told me he was "lazy" in that area because he's an identical twin and has gotten so much attention from it he never knows if a girl is interested in him or the fact he's a twin (this is not a joke).
He sounds kind of dopey and clueless.

When you meet the right person, the night will fly by, you won't want it to end, and everything will be just right. There's too many wrongs with this one.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61837 Feb 9, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>So next time you're in town Sub, I'll show you the places. There's a great mexican restaurant right up the street. Kick azz mole and salsa and they do the margaritas in the really big glasses.
:D
Yeah, I'd love to. Maybe this summer I'll be back around that way.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61838 Feb 9, 2012
itser wrote:
<quoted text>Normally, I wouldn't think 4 drinks over the course of an evening would be a lot, but on a first date, with someone who (I'm guessing here) wasn't drinking, or at least not drinking much, it seems a bit much to me - not somebody who was looking to make a good first impression, anyhow.
Yep, if I were on a date with a woman, who didn't drink, I wouldn't drink, and I like to drink, but I don't have to.

He's either completely clueless (on multiple levels, you always hold the door open for people, not just your date, IMO) or has an alcohol problem.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61839 Feb 9, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
And Happy Birthday, Mimi!!
Happy Birthday, Mimi!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#61840 Feb 9, 2012
RACE wrote:
Ha! Thats just a blow off!
;)
<quoted text>
Be nice! I am the one who invited myself along in the first place, so I certainly wasn't blowing her off!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#61841 Feb 9, 2012
I dated my ex-boyfriend from age 20 to 27. I didn't really realize the door-opening thing was a *thing*, if you will and he didn't do it. So we broke up and I started hang out with other people. New Guy Friend: "Um, your ex-boyfriend *never* held or opened the door for you, did he?" Me: "No, why?" "Because I've tried to do it for you about a dozen times now and you just go to the next door over if there is one."

*shrug* J's a door opener. I noticed that in guys right away after that.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#61842 Feb 9, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I dated my ex-boyfriend from age 20 to 27. I didn't really realize the door-opening thing was a *thing*, if you will and he didn't do it. So we broke up and I started hang out with other people. New Guy Friend: "Um, your ex-boyfriend *never* held or opened the door for you, did he?" Me: "No, why?" "Because I've tried to do it for you about a dozen times now and you just go to the next door over if there is one."
*shrug* J's a door opener. I noticed that in guys right away after that.
Just took my 5 year old to a birthday party at a place called monkey joe's. We got to the door just a little before this other woman. I was gonna hold the door for her. He did it himself without any direction from me. He also looked for birthday boy's mom after the party to tell her thank you. Again, did that without me telling him to. Guess I must be doin something right.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#61843 Feb 9, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Just took my 5 year old to a birthday party at a place called monkey joe's. We got to the door just a little before this other woman. I was gonna hold the door for her. He did it himself without any direction from me. He also looked for birthday boy's mom after the party to tell her thank you. Again, did that without me telling him to. Guess I must be doin something right.
Aw! For sure. I thank anyone who holds a door for me, but I'm almost gushy when a kid does it. "Thank you *so* much" etc.
Sam I Am

Austin, TX

#61844 Feb 9, 2012

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#61845 Feb 9, 2012

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61846 Feb 9, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I read about that a few days ago, but they didn't have a close up of the picture.

That's so funny that an inmate pulled that off.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61847 Feb 9, 2012
I had a meeting all morning with some colleagues who flew in from across the pond.

I figured I would bring in bagels, but I thought it would be kind of rude just to bring in some for just us.

So, I bought 2 dozen from Panera, so everyone in my office could have some.

I asked my colleagues who I was meeting with if they would like a bagel, and they tell me, "no thanks", they already ate a big breakfast, lol.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#61848 Feb 9, 2012
There's enough left over for everyone to have one tomorrow too!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#61850 Feb 9, 2012
I know I'm super late to Chel's date discussion, but still wanted to comment. The glasses of wine don't necessarily indicate that he has a drinking problem. He could have just been very nervous. Some people overcompensate by drinking a couple glasses too many on a first date and trying to put in a "cool" facade without realizing that they are coming across as douchebags.

Unless someone raises danger flags (in which case you should always trust your gut), I see nothing wrong with going on a second date with someone. Just try to make it a low-key date that is easy to end early if things really aren't going well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 41 min Well Well 1,534,355
ex chicago police woman (Jul '16) 1 hr SAy it aint so 21
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LOL 240,800
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr _Zoey_ 10,687
Bottomless wife? 7 hr Earl 4
Mass media's war on police leads to more crime. 8 hr actorvet 1
Deporting Seniors 14 hr But brain works 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages