“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#61570 Feb 3, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
She is turning 6 on Monday. She has been focused on church/God and getting worse since she was about 4.
Forgot to mention that her maternal grandparents are born again evangelicals who won't even celebrate Halloween (my friend, the mom, has to convince her daughter that it is ok to trick-or-treat every year and that not everything about Halloween is evil).
So, I guess they realize their daughter is a little extreme, but don't know what to do about it. This is the same family where the father has called me to tell his daughter "no" when the wife was out because she wouldn't listen to him and he felt bad being more forceful.
I've never even heard of a kid like that before. A tiny Church Lady. Almost sounds like a Asperger's symptom...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#61571 Feb 3, 2012
and if i remember right (a big if; high school biology is but a fading memory for me), the negative blood types can be used by same-type-but-positive blood type but not the other way around.

i should try donating again. used to do it years ago (college & the first few year out of it), but got away from that. part of it was that one blood drive was in a stuffy room taht made me almost pass out every time.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#61572 Feb 3, 2012
Dont look at the needle and recite your grocery list.
squishymama wrote:
OK, Regs. Wish me luck, I'm going to give blood. I have a very rare type and so do my kids, so I feel like I *have* to, but I almost always want to pass out so it's a big pile of no fun at all to actually do it.

Since: Aug 09

Plainfield, WI

#61573 Feb 3, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought if you have a rare blood type (AB negative?) they discourage you giving blood unless they specifically ask because it may not get used?
At our blood centers in Wisconsin, they recommend different kinds of blood donations for different types. There are Whole Blood, Plasma, and Platelets. If you have "AB", then only other ABs may use your whole blood. But the typing isn't important to the other products.

If you are O-(another rare type), then everyone could use your blood - and they would not only encourage whole blood, but they would ask you to give "Dual-red blood cells" where they take only the Red blood cells and give everything else back to you (so they can maximize the volume of red blood).

Plainfield, WI

#61574 Feb 3, 2012
squishymama wrote:
OK, Regs. Wish me luck, I'm going to give blood. I have a very rare type and so do my kids, so I feel like I *have* to, but I almost always want to pass out so it's a big pile of no fun at all to actually do it.
and thanks for your donation. I've been a regular for many years - approaching 200 donations now. And it doesn't affect me at all...but i still remember the first time that i gave...at a blood drive at my first job. I didn't eat that day. I went to donate - and i passed out. They woke me up, made me eat a couple sweet rolls. But i had to go back to work. As i was going up the elevator, i almost fell over. I NEEDED a coke with sugar, so i went to the vending machines - and almost fainted. I could feel the paleness of my face. But i realized that i didn't have the quarter with me - so i had to go back to my desk. I felt like i was on a 1000 mile journey through the dessert. And as i got back to my desk, my bosses called me in to talk about something. I was a new employee (out of college)- but i was really going to faint - so i yelled at him - "WHATEVER YOU WANT, PLEASE TELL ME AS FAST AS YOU CAN.". They realized my dilemma. I don't remember, but i think one of them got me the soda.

So i highly recommend that you eat a good meal with lots of liquids before you donate. Have something with sugar in your system.

The first few times you donate, the loss of blood is significant to your body. After that, your body gets accustomed to losing the blood and you don't notice it.(I've been told because i do donate so often, if i were in a incident with a lot of blood loss, i would probably do quite relatively well because of it)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#61575 Feb 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Ice packs on the back of the neck and forehead and a full recline are what works for me. It took several very uncomfortable donations for me to realize this. I don't even wait for the techs to look at my pasty face and say "Do you need an ice pack?" I just tell 'em up front.

Evanston IL

#61576 Feb 3, 2012
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
If you are O-(another rare type), then everyone could use your blood - and they would not only encourage whole blood, but they would ask you to give "Dual-red blood cells" where they take only the Red blood cells and give everything else back to you (so they can maximize the volume of red blood).
Is that the Alyx thing? I don't like the looks of it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#61577 Feb 3, 2012
They pester two groups: THe AB- like Squishy, and the O positive/O negative because our blood has a high demand, since it's the highest portion of the population.

They're pushy, but their cause is good, so I relent.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#61578 Feb 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the same way. Doesn't matter what I do, about halfway through and I'm getting tunnel vision. Takes me hours to recover. I'm not really grossed out by blood and I don't look at it at all.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#61579 Feb 3, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
She is turning 6 on Monday. She has been focused on church/God and getting worse since she was about 4.
Yes, God forbid we allow a child to become devoted to her faith. There must be some way to stop this insanity. We can't have people of faith ruining our society.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#61580 Feb 3, 2012
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
At our blood centers in Wisconsin, they recommend different kinds of blood donations for different types. There are Whole Blood, Plasma, and Platelets. If you have "AB", then only other ABs may use your whole blood. But the typing isn't important to the other products.
Good to see you again, Johnny!

Plainfield, WI

#61581 Feb 3, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the Alyx thing? I don't like the looks of it.
i don't know what alyx is. But if you aren't a frequent donor, don't do the dual-red. It takes about 45 minutes as opposed to only 5 or so minutes. They hook you to a machine that takes some blood, spins it to separate the RBC/Platelets/Plasma, then they give back the platelets and plasma - then the cycle repeats until they have a bag of all RBC.(The good thing though is that you can't donate again for 16 weeks as opposed to the normal 8). And from what they tell me, they have far more than twice the number of RBCs, so the doctors like those.

But if you are relatively new. Just do the simpler - less time-consuming one. If it doesn't go too badly, come back. Hopefully, eventually you will get used to it.

Oh, i have to say, when i lived in Indianapolis - because i am O-, i would get calls all the time. If i had plans the night they called, the would say things like. "Oh, that's okay...I suppose they will find someone else to help the person in the hospital".(Or at least that's the way i heard it). So, of course, i would feel guilty - and i would change my plans to donate first. In those days, i didn't have a car, so i would bike to the donor center (and they would yell at me because they didn't want me biking back). After a few times of that, i started making appointments as soon as i was eligible so it was on my terms.

Now that was in the early 1980s (Before aids). So they did very little blood testing before they used the blood. Looking back at it, I still doubt that they used my blood that same night...but who knows.

Plainfield, WI

#61582 Feb 3, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to see you again, Johnny!
thanks. I haven't been around too much lately. Sometimes work actually gets in the way;)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#61583 Feb 3, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, God forbid we allow a child to become devoted to her faith. There must be some way to stop this insanity. We can't have people of faith ruining our society.
I know it's the norm, regardless of what society one lives in, but I liken it to brain washing, before the child has developed the critical thinking skills to decide what is truth verses fantasy.

For example, if it were the norm for people in our society to worship the FSM, you can rest assured that the same percentage of people who blindly believe in their parents' gods on the grounds of faith (whatever that may be, whether that be the god of jesus or Vishnu the four armed godess), would believe in his existence, as well.

Evanston IL

#61584 Feb 3, 2012
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't know what alyx is. But if you aren't a frequent donor, don't do the dual-red. It takes about 45 minutes as opposed to only 5 or so minutes. They hook you to a machine that takes some blood, spins it to separate the RBC/Platelets/Plasma, then they give back the platelets and plasma - then the cycle repeats until they have a bag of all RBC.(The good thing though is that you can't donate again for 16 weeks as opposed to the normal 8). And from what they tell me, they have far more than twice the number of RBCs, so the doctors like those.
But if you are relatively new. Just do the simpler - less time-consuming one. If it doesn't go too badly, come back. Hopefully, eventually you will get used to it.
Yeah, that's it.

I think I'll just be skipping that when they let me back in.

I gave birth to my guilt; their reminders only serve to irritate me.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#61585 Feb 3, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, God forbid we allow a child to become devoted to her faith. There must be some way to stop this insanity. We can't have people of faith ruining our society.
Seriously dude, read the whole conversation. Fanaticism and intolerance of views other than one's own are not to be encouraged.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#61586 Feb 3, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
Fanaticism and intolerance of views other than one's own
Well, that's Christianity in a nutshell!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#61587 Feb 3, 2012
Context is not his forte....
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously dude, read the whole conversation. Fanaticism and intolerance of views other than one's own are not to be encouraged.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#61588 Feb 3, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We do!(my birthday was last month on the 21st. I also turned 44)
Me, my mom, my step-dad and youngest daughter. Oy vey!
Oh wow I missed it. Happy belated birthday! Mine's next week. <shrug>

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#61589 Feb 4, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Grey Ghost 1,190,238
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min Rogue Scholar 05 184,826
A Small History Lesson. 51 min Learn it Live it ... 6
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Agents of Corruption 51,396
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 5,707
Who Do We Blame For Bruce Jenner? 5 hr Phil McOxwell 1
New Game (words that start with T) 5 hr Tim Blaxton 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future