|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
$5K is probably the minimum. That's what we had to pay with very good insurance. My wife did have an emergency c-section, though.
The other problem with home birth is that you have to make sure that you are prepared for emergencies. The possible hour (or longer) it could take you to actually get to the hospital could mean life or death.
We timed our trip to hospital in case of emergency.
Just under 10 minutes, including carrying me to the vehicle.
It was on the midwife's checklist.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

When you buy my ticket you can tell me what to do with my seat. Until then Deal with it. And If I have the window seat, control of the slider thingy is mine alone also.
AngelaMN wrote:
I disagree. I would NEVER allow the person in front of me to fully recline and I'm only 5'2". To fully recline your seat against the wishes/comfort of the person behind you makes you a complete and utter ass. Recline it back just a few inches (because they're so stiffly upright otherwise) and that's it.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

check the toilet.
AngelaMN wrote:
Geez, these kinds of stories are so compelling, I can't turn it off even though I lost my shit.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

any christmas song done by kenny G
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Santa Claus is Back in Town - Elvis Presely
2) Baby, Its Cold Outside - Dean Martin
3) Red Ryder BB Gun - Average Joe
Not my favorite, but I Won't Be Home For Christmas by Blink 182 is funny as shit. If you can't listen to the song, check out the lyrics

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

and of course
So this is christmas....

powerful, very very powerful

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

I read an article about this, they envisioned a rail system with a mountain that would hurl supplies into space. Needs an incredibly long rail system to propel it. That is why they wanted the mountain. Creates the initial velocity on the down slope and the rails accelerate it from there. I dont know how a human could stand the stresses though.
Sublime1 wrote:
Off topic, but pretty cool, I think:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/10/nav...
I predict that in the not to far future, this how we will be launching satellites and perhaps even humans (with a long enough barrel to spread out the acceleration) into space.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that the chat was lame most of the time, but then towards the end, some real doozies got posted, so I was entertained.
My post was like 2nd from last -- I was the person who unloaded an unused and unwanted container/pipe for marijuana and wrapped it for the company's white elephant gift exchange (anonymously).
I knew it!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

The eye doctor dilated my pupils at my appointment this afternoon. The blurriness has worn off just enough for me to get a good look at my eyes in the mirror. They are freaking... me... out.

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Jan 09

Scenic Manitowoc County WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Will be driving down to Chicago in the morning.....Staying at hotel downtown.
Macy's, Walnut Room, Crate & Barrel, Penny's Noodle Shop, Greektown for dinner.....Sunday off to burbs for Ikea and then head back north.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Kinder and Gentler Phil wrote:
Will be driving down to Chicago in the morning.....Staying at hotel downtown.
Macy's, Walnut Room, Crate & Barrel, Penny's Noodle Shop, Greektown for dinner.....Sunday off to burbs for Ikea and then head back north.
Phil- check the weather especially for teh return trip. They are predicting really nasty stuff in the immediate Chicago area and nastier as you get north. You don't want to make any annual reenactments.
Anyway, glad you are coming down. When you are at Macy's, walk over a block west to see the Santa Village ( and the tree)in Daley Plaza. They have really neat hand blown glass ornaments that aren't expensive and lots of German handicraft stuff

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to open a can of worms ( on this subjct) but the DPT shots are/were controversial based on some junk science notions that they were associated with autism when given to infants. A number of people tehrefore did not give the Pertussis immunization to kids. That's what your in laws have, Pertussis.
In the north suburbs,specifically Wilmette Winnetka and now I think Northbrook, there have been enough cases of Pertussis this fall to get public health authority attention. There were something like 15 cases in our junior high alone.
That means that I am not sure Illinois requires a Pertussis shot for enrollment and that the disease is going around. As long as you have the temporary mom role, you need to ask. She and your in laws may not remember. Her pediatrician should have a record. It is usually given very young. Tetanus boosters are given every 5-10 years, but not Pertussis.Given her parents circumstances, McLean County Health may be able to give the shot gratis.
It is not just a cough; it is a nasty disease that lasts a long time.
/End of Mom Lecture/
hubby is starting grad school in Jan... nearly 40 and he has to get MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) series and DPT (or at least tetanus). Frankly, i'm really surprised they don't want a meningitis vaccine too. but then, maybe if he were living in student housing that would be a different story.

but, that's a good point ot check with the doc to see what she's had and to see aobut getting the boosters if it's been borderline long enough. the chain drugstore clinics do them too. if she has primary health insurance, they might cover it too (it did for hubby).

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

oh and after telling him what little i know aobut meningitis, mainly that it hits the spinal fluid & brain and that one can go from feeling meh to baaad headache to dead in jsut a couple of days, hubby kinda got a bit freaked...

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Since: Dec 08

Twin Cities, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Illinois will not enroll a child in school without specified immunizations or a medical reason why they are not given or some document of (I think) religious objection.
I don' wanna doesn't fly down here.
I also am skeptical of the rationale that the Hepatitis shots are given to prevent Medicaid's payment for liver transplants. From time to time I hand around with epidemiologists. That doesn't sound like them.
I didn't say that you can say "I don't wanna." You usually do have a sign a form, but the reasons don't have to be religious (although it's the safest reason to use).

That's held up in federal courts--the right to not immunize your kids.

And as far as the Hep shots, it sounds exactly like our fucked up government to mandate such a thing.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I watched some of that show too.
We went to one right around Thanksgiving. It was loads of fun to watch. Those guys are nuts.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

AngelaMN wrote:
Oh, and my point was, his cholesterol improved big time. But not everyone is willing to go vegan for two meals of the day. He did it to force himself to rely more on greens, veggies, fruit, whole grains, and legumes.
I need to have the additional protein meat provides during the day. I have tried quite a few vegan days, but am always hungry within about an hour. That leads to snacking thruout the day. I can do vegan for one meal a day, that's about it. But, cholesterol isn't just all about the numbers. It's the balanced diet, heavy on fruits & veggies, that makes the difference. If your numbers are low, but you eat a very unhealthy diet, usually means there's a genetic component to your having low numbers. You can still develop some nasty health issues. High numbers are sometimes the same- a genetic basis for it, yet still be in good health.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Chickenpox may not seem serious, but once you have that virus in you, you have it forever. It can come back on you in your dottage as shigles, which I have heard is VERY painful. So if I can help my kids avoid that, then I'm gonna do that. Hepatitis is sorta the same.
Look what we did with polio. It was almost wiped out until folks in developing nations started believing The West was trying to sterilize/otherwise harm their children and stopped giving immunizations. Now it's back and children are suffering and dying.
Just doesn't make any sense to this mama.
Good points. I'm glad there's now a shingles vaccine, which is basically a chicken pox booster. I plan on getting one. My stepdad had shingles & it was awful. Mumps is another one that merits a vaccine. If you don't get mumps as a kid & later get it as an adult, it can cause severe complications, even death. As a kid, I had chicken pox, mumps & measles. I had the hat trick of the 50s.

I'm on the rail about the hep vaccine, as it doesn't apply to all types of hep. My older sister had mono. The rest of us got gamma globulin shots. My younger sister developed Hep C as a result. I would imagine that the vaccines are more fully tested now, tho. This happened in the late 60s.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

Andie-
What did you decide to do about your knee?

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I had a reason to use one of those about now.
After work, I'm off to a children's birthday party. Tomorrow, I have a children's Christmas party, and Sunday we're going to the inlaws for an early Christmas celebration.
To think that I'll be sitting in a meeting all day seems like a better plan.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

j_m_w wrote:
The eye doctor dilated my pupils at my appointment this afternoon. The blurriness has worn off just enough for me to get a good look at my eyes in the mirror. They are freaking... me... out.
Welcome to the 60s....

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Phil- check the weather especially for teh return trip. They are predicting really nasty stuff in the immediate Chicago area and nastier as you get north. You don't want to make any annual reenactments.
Anyway, glad you are coming down. When you are at Macy's, walk over a block west to see the Santa Village ( and the tree)in Daley Plaza. They have really neat hand blown glass ornaments that aren't expensive and lots of German handicraft stuff
The weather service is calling for less than 1" accumulation. But it's going to be mixed with freezing rain. We have to drive to & from Waukegan today. Not that far, but it's still going to take some time. I'll have to ask the people in the meeting if someone can recommend a good Mexican restaurant nearby.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Realtime 1,095,324
Amy 8-19 21 min Kuuipo 13
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min Beavis 176,676
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 33 min Jonah1 49,244
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min gcaveman1 46,214
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Nono 3,900
Ferguson police shoot another black unarmed man! 1 hr Always Smile 23
Amy 8-20 2 hr Kuuipo 12
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search