Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#38875 Nov 30, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience, you get the best rates just by going to a major bank's ATM once you arrive in that country.
When we went to Europe, we exchanged a few hundred dollars for euros at the airport prior to leaving so we'd have cash right away. After that, we hit a couple of ATMs during the trip and I'd have to say you're right; we got a better exchange rate at the ATM than we did at the airport.

The best exchange rate of all was when we used AmEx, but I have no idea if Japan will be comparable to Europe when it comes to that.

I figure K can help me with switching over money since she had to do it when she moved.

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Since: Dec 08

Twin Cities, MN

#38876 Nov 30, 2010
Ex Marine Dad wrote:
Whatever you do, DO NOT surrender to the Japanese. They will perceive you to be weak and kill you. Also, watch for them flying out of the sun. They are really tricky that way and can screw up a Sunday morning breakfast in a heartbeat. Just do what I tell you, when I tell you- and we'll all come out of this alive. Semper Fi!
HA!!!!!! this cracked me up!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#38877 Nov 30, 2010
AngelmaN wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience, you get the best rates just by going to a major bank's ATM once you arrive in that country.
That used to be the case, but she might check if that still holds true. I have received a ton of "disclosure" stuff on my charge cards in the last few months and I thought there is now something about fees and permissions for foreign currency withdrawals.

I have my checking account at Chase and a charge card there. If I pay the card electronically from checking, I have to check box that I am not making some sort of foreign transfer.

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Twin Cities, MN

#38878 Nov 30, 2010
So when I’m dealing with specs for sinks, is it okay if I snicker (on the inside, anyway) every time I read “self-rimming”?

Madison, WI

#38879 Nov 30, 2010
Mister Tonka wrote:
phones:
Att got rid of the unlimited plan($30) andnow have a 2GB plan($25) and 20mm mb($15)
They do lock down the android phones in that you can't install apps not downloaded thru the android marketplace. Not much differnt than apple and their app store in that sense.
My phone was originall $150 on att's website(with 2 year contract), I got 2 of them for $50 at best buy.
Wirefly.com is a good place to get phones. My last set of phones came free from them. Only problem I had with them this time is thatthey only offer a certain service packages and hte one I currently have and wanted to extend was not one of them
iphone 4 antenna problem is easily remedied by getting a case. and even smaller, they have pretty much a band that wraps around the edge of the phone and covers that antenna and is less intrusive than a case
I have a new android and love it.
sample apps I've downloaded:
-grocery list manager
-bar code scanner
-kindle reader
-weather channel app
-google maps preinstalled and gives gps voice driven turn by turn directions
-have an app that turns the phone into a level
-have an app that turns the phone into a compass
Do you have AT&T? Which Android phone do you have?

I just got a Best Buy gift certificate, so I will be purchasing *something* from there.

Miami, FL

#38880 Nov 30, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
So when I’m dealing with specs for sinks, is it okay if I snicker (on the inside, anyway) every time I read “self-rimming”?
Totally okay. You'd have to be really flexible to do that.(It sounds like something someone would write to Dan Savage about.)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#38881 Nov 30, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
call your bank before you go, too. two reasons: let them know you're going over seas so that thye know and don't shut down the card thinking it's fraudulent and also to ask about getting an international PIN for your ATM card (i heard somewhere years ago that there are different PIN requirements internationally; don't know if that's true or not, but don't need to find out when i'm on my last yen!). I was even thinking about getting a new number/card just for going internationally the last time i had a realistic chance of going somewhere (but that fell apart).

but, i'm the paranoid type about getting stuck with obscene fees (aside from exchange rates) or stuck without any cash or viable credit cards!

At this rate, JMW, you'll have to take us all with you!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#38882 Nov 30, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
If you *didn't* laugh, I'd think there was something wrong with you.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#38883 Nov 30, 2010
I got the bubble level, not nearly accurate enough to even think of using.
And the compass one I downloaded is junk also. If I turn the phone, N moves Sometimes by as much as 90 degrees.
But it also has a speedometer that was dead on accurate, but the elevation reading always said I was under water

I am going to look for the grocery list one though. Currently I am using the note pad app.
Mister Tonka wrote:
phones:
Att got rid of the unlimited plan($30) andnow have a 2GB plan($25) and 20mm mb($15)
They do lock down the android phones in that you can't install apps not downloaded thru the android marketplace. Not much differnt than apple and their app store in that sense.
My phone was originall $150 on att's website(with 2 year contract), I got 2 of them for $50 at best buy.
Wirefly.com is a good place to get phones. My last set of phones came free from them. Only problem I had with them this time is thatthey only offer a certain service packages and hte one I currently have and wanted to extend was not one of them
iphone 4 antenna problem is easily remedied by getting a case. and even smaller, they have pretty much a band that wraps around the edge of the phone and covers that antenna and is less intrusive than a case
I have a new android and love it.
sample apps I've downloaded:
-grocery list manager
-bar code scanner
-kindle reader
-weather channel app
-google maps preinstalled and gives gps voice driven turn by turn directions
-have an app that turns the phone into a level
-have an app that turns the phone into a compass

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#38884 Nov 30, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
Permission granted

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#38885 Nov 30, 2010
RACE wrote:
I got the bubble level, not nearly accurate enough to even think of using.
And the compass one I downloaded is junk also. If I turn the phone, N moves Sometimes by as much as 90 degrees.
But it also has a speedometer that was dead on accurate, but the elevation reading always said I was under water
I am going to look for the grocery list one though. Currently I am using the note pad app.
<quoted text>
1. Now your phone knows you are unbalanced. We could have told you that without a monthly fee.

2. Ditto. Its readily apparent you go off on a tangent and don't know which way is up. Anything else new?

3. You are misinterpreting the speedometer. That says how fast you are spending money and underwater refers to either your check account or your mortgage which ever is less.

So your "smart phone" functions as a grocery list? I use teh back of a junk mail envelope.

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Jan 09

Scenic Manitowoc County WI

#38886 Nov 30, 2010
cycle003 wrote:
OK, smart phone owners, I'm possibly looking to move into the 21st century, and I'm looking for advice. Any advice or experience would be appreciated, and I specifically have a bunch of questions/concerns.
- Currently, I'm with AT&T and fairly satisfied with coverage, so the *easiest* approach seems to get a phone through AT&T. However, it seems the options are somewhat limited and there are some problems with AT&T. I've heard that they lock down the apps that you can use on their phones, and they don't offer unlimited data plans.
- I'm even considering joining the mindless masses by getting an iPhone4, but I have some concerns there too. First, I have trouble getting over the you-can't-touch-it-if-you-want -it-to-work antenna problem. Some of the cases I've seen essentially make it loses it aesthetic luster. Any opinions?
- It seems that an Android-based phone would be most fitting to my style, but I've never used one. Any thoughts?
- Has anyone used their smart phone as a mobile hotspot, and do carriers charge extra for that? Does AT&T even support that?
I have an Iphone and a blackberry. I HATE the iphone. i LOVE the blackberry. Prefer the blackberry keyboard. I do like having the iphone as an ipod, but I prefer the blackberry as a phone, a web browser, a pda and its battery lasts 3x longer than than my iphone.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#38887 Nov 30, 2010
cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have AT&T? Which Android phone do you have?
I just got a Best Buy gift certificate, so I will be purchasing *something* from there.
I got the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. AT&T.

Drawbacks:
Still on android 1.6 but the rollout to 2.1 is underway. Not sure how Sony is determining who gets the upgrade when, but last I read, they are doing Norway. I expect to get notification soon.

Even with upgrade, no multitouch yet. Although they have officially stated it is coming next year.
Alex G Bell

Addison, IL

#38888 Nov 30, 2010
All I wanted to do was invent a device for people to talk to each other. What the #@&* happened?!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Channahon, IL

#38890 Dec 1, 2010
cycle003

Cottage Grove, WI

#38891 Dec 1, 2010
Kinder and Gentler Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an Iphone and a blackberry. I HATE the iphone. i LOVE the blackberry. Prefer the blackberry keyboard. I do like having the iphone as an ipod, but I prefer the blackberry as a phone, a web browser, a pda and its battery lasts 3x longer than than my iphone.
Why do you hate the iphone?

Miami, FL

#38892 Dec 1, 2010
I judged Alex.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#38893 Dec 1, 2010
So, You admit your judgmental?
j_m_w wrote:
I judged Alex.

Miami, FL

#38894 Dec 1, 2010
RACE wrote:
So, You admit your judgmental?
<quoted text>
Yes I do. Sometimes it's fun to use the little icons but I hate when people do it anonymously, especially when it's negative. If you can't stand behind your opinion on an anonymous discussion board, where can you?

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#38895 Dec 1, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
No serrated knife? Then how do you slice tomatoes?:D (meaning, you must have a really good, sharp knife to use, which makes me jealous, as my knives SUCK).
Meat slicer: No, I do not think it would work well at all. Bread isn't dense enough -- it has too much "give." But you know you're gonna try it, right?
My knives are dangerously sharp. I have a filet knife that slices thru tomatoes very easily. I'm missing the fingerprint on my left index finger because of that knife. Sliced it clean off.

And yes, I'm sure I'm going to try the meat slicer. It's just one of those things that I've gotta do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 10-20 2 min Kuuipo 6
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Teaman 1,124,490
only sex 17 min amitjulee 1
Amy 10-19 18 min Kuuipo 8
BoyshineLiesIn SpeechAtNW 35 min LipsMoveBhoLies 6
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 44 min STEFANO COLONNA 69,957
Mike Brown Deserved What He Got 45 min Read NO_3 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 179,241
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]