Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1263869 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

TSM

El Paso, TX

#1182378 Aug 8, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you baggers ever deal with is hate and ignorance.
Grey you are an Idiot!! To engage you would break one of my most adhere rule “Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"? Grey the Floors Yours!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1182379 Aug 8, 2014
The Tea Party Pushes Democrats Towards Victory By Declaring National Impeach Obama Week

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/08/07/tea-pa...

because, as usual, the polls show that the Tea Party loves to be on the wrong side of everything.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1182380 Aug 8, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike Bush Obama is smart enough to bomb the right country.
Clinton bombed Iraq almost every day for the last two years of his presidency. I guess you think Clinton was a complete screw up or down.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1182381 Aug 8, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
No where near as dangerous as you neanderthal baggers.
didn't you 'evolve' from the neanderthals? your liberal script says you did. ROTFLMAO@U.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1182382 Aug 8, 2014
Obama Is 100 Percent Right to Throw Red Meat of Lawsuit and Impeachment Talk Back at Republicans

Given the reality that Boehner is trying to be as extreme as he can get away with in his attacks on the president, why in the world wouldn't Barack Obama do exactly what he has been doing in response? Why wouldn't he call Boehner out on his extremism? Why wouldn't he use that extremism to motivate his own supporters to get out and vote?

And here's how the president is doing it:

"Stop being mad all the time," Obama chided Republicans during rowdy, campaign-style remarks. "Stop just hatin' all the time."

[snip] Obama has slammed the [lawsuit] as a political stunt, egging Republicans on with the quip "so sue me" during a speech in early July. "They're mad because I'm doing my job," Obama said on Wednesday, calling on lawmakers to instead take action on closing tax loopholes and pass new laws he said will spur job creation. "We can do so much more if Congress would just come on and help out a little bit," he said. "Just come on. Come on and help out a little bit."

Obama is playing this exactly correct. By forcing Boehner and House Republicans to go on the record ruling out impeachment, he does three things. First, the president gets the Republican majority that wants impeachment angry at Boehner, undercutting whatever gains the lawsuit might bring Republicans from the hard right.

Second, Obama gets Boehner and House Republicans to talk about impeachment in the same breath that they are talking about the lawsuit, making clear the connection between the two, whatever they say about ruling out impeachment. More than 60 percent of independent voters in both of the two aforementioned polls oppose impeachment (despite the Fox poll prepping respondents with questions that painted Obama in a negative light just before asking them about impeachment), with barely one out of three in favor. Although the Fox poll didn't ask, the CNN poll also found independents opposing Boehner's lawsuit, 55 percent to 43 percent. Obama is making sure that independents know what Boehner is up to, and reminding them of Republican extremism.

Third, the president is giving that same reminder to his own supporters, in particular the members of the Obama coalition who are disproportionately likely to sit out the midterm elections. By personalizing the midterms as a chance to stop the extremists who would do anything to destroy him, President Obama is seizing the opportunity to get our people to the polls. When our voters turn out, we win. I know I've heard that somewhere.

If Democrats can raise gobs of money calling out Republican extremism, money that can help boot some of those extremists out of office and help hold the Senate so that Barack Obama can get more progressive judges confirmed, not to mention pass a much more progressive budget than they'd get with Republican majorities in both houses of Congress, then by all means, do it.

Is the president playing politics here? Sure. Are House Republicans likely to actually vote to impeach him? No. But you know what? I don't care. John Boehner is the one who started this game, the one who has sought time and again to present himself as standing up to the president. It's sweet justice to see John Boehner's shenanigans redounding to the benefit of Barack Obama.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-reifowitz/o...
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1182383 Aug 8, 2014
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
Grey you are an Idiot!! To engage you would break one of my most adhere rule “Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"? Grey the Floors Yours!!
Thanks, now get your head back under that bull... I'm afraid it's a bit too late for you MOUTH. Besides you asked for it PUSSEECCEE. What's one more big mouth from Texas.

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1182384 Aug 8, 2014
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
When was this?
Ray, you ignorance os showing.

Obama worked across the aisle several times.

He are two examples.

The Lugar-Obama Non-Proliferation Act
This law, authored by Richard Lugar (R-IN) and Barack Obama was passed in 2006 and signed in 2007. In the words of its authors, this is what it does:

These vast numbers of unused conventional weapons, particularly shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles that can hit civilian airliners, pose a major security risk to America and democracies everywhere. That’s why we have introduced legislation to seek out and destroy surplus and unguarded stocks of conventional arms in Asia, Europe, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East.

Our bill would launch a major nonproliferation initiative by addressing the growing threat from unsecured conventional weapons and by bolstering a key line of defense against weapons of mass destruction. Modeled after the successful Nunn-Lugar program to dismantle former Soviet nuclear weapons, the Lugar-Obama bill would seek to build cooperative relationships with willing countries.

By all accounts, it’s been pretty successful so far.

The Coburn-Obama Transparency Act
This law (which John McCain co-sponsored) was the work of Tom Coburn (R-OK) and Barack Obama. It provides that all federal contracts be made transparent and available online to the public. A nice bit of sunshine into a shadowy world. You can see the results here at http://www.usaspending.gov/ .

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1182385 Aug 8, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave cannot bring himself to admit what the Iron Dome is used for.
Allow me to explain it to you dsince you are too.

The Iron Dome is a DEFENSE system to intercept rockets fired into Israel.

There, did that make you happy?

Now, dumbass, explain how that escalates into all out war.

TYou people are dumber than sh*t.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1182386 Aug 8, 2014
The president and CEO of a Missouri Baptist conference center is out of a job after a sheriff’s Cyber Crimes Task Force arrested him for allegedly arranging to have sex with a dog after posting an ad on Craigslist .

Jerald “Jerry” Hill, 56, of Camden County was arrested on Aug. 5th after setting up a meeting with an undercover officer for the purpose of having sex with a dog, according to the Columbia Daily Tribune.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/08/ceo-of-...
TSM

El Paso, TX

#1182387 Aug 8, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
The Tea Party Pushes Democrats Towards Victory By Declaring National Impeach Obama Week
http://www.politicususa.com/2014/08/07/tea-pa...
because, as usual, the polls show that the Tea Party loves to be on the wrong side of everything.
Son… Congressional Dems Mention Impeachment 20x More Than Congressional Republicans. I understand Watching Obama’s Press why you are Uniform/ignorance of the Facts it’s the Liberal Way!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1182388 Aug 8, 2014
harmonious wrote:
Poor little Chelsea, I guess she wasn't as broke as her parents:
Chelsea Clinton buys $10.5 million apartment - MSN Real Estate
realestate.msn.com/blogs/listedblogpost.aspx... ... Cached
Chelsea Clinton and her husband, Marc Mezvinsky, have contracted to buy a new apartment in the ... like WHAT?? And this is her first home...for $10 milli
Libs are such saps
Good for her. The perks of marrying a rich man.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1182389 Aug 8, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Whiners.
"OMG OMG OMNG Obama isn't doing anything OMG OIMG MG"
"OMG OMG OMG Obama is doing something OMG OMG OMG"
can you post a link to Gen. McCaffrey complaining about Obama not doing anything?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1182390 Aug 8, 2014
harmonious wrote:
Libs are soooooooooo frikking stupid
Clintons 'to buy $11M Westchester mansion'
news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/World/2010... ... Cached
Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton are reportedly set to buy a ... HOME | SITEMAP ... Chappaqua home for a sprawling 10.9 million dollar estate in the
The perks of being a former president of the United States. Those peaking fees to pay off.

“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.”(J.R. Ward)
Fetch Almighty

Lansing, IL

#1182391 Aug 8, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeebus was absolutely correct.....
ever wonder what it's like to be correct?
Fetch Almighty

Lansing, IL

#1182392 Aug 8, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>didn't you 'evolve' from the neanderthals? your liberal script says you did. ROTFLMAO@U.
at least we evolved, you're kinda stuck there it seems
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1182393 Aug 8, 2014
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
Son… Congressional Dems Mention Impeachment 20x More Than Congressional Republicans. I understand Watching Obama’s Press why you are Uniform/ignorance of the Facts it’s the Liberal Way!!
Wow, I wonder where they ever got that idea????Every time I see a Republican politician talking it always comes up.
nevada 235

Scranton, PA

#1182394 Aug 8, 2014
Hi! I am back again...I just wanted to give you a warning...Do not
believe everything you read on the internet...even my words! There
is no angel speaking to me at this time...I hope I am telling you the
right thing...Use discernment...The Christians are speaking about
their now obsolete Bibles! They are brilliant on the internet and have
amazing and beautiful web-sites! I am waiting for something "BIG" to
happen, just as they are, but not the killing of everyone on earth,
but 144,000 persons! There are supposed to be 2 witnesses on the
earth, right now, but they are being kept secret! Why? Because they
are mortal men and Islam will assassinate them! Islam even has
threatened The Lord Jesus Christ, if and when He comes, with death!
My real name I cannot put on topix, because it will not be posted. What
a "free internet"! I think that the earthlings have to fight Islam, until the
revelation of Our Lord Jesus Christ! And, I, also, think Jesus Christ is
a "SOCIAL DEMOCRAT" or communist and He will change The U.S.A.
system of government; which by the way, is morally and financially
"BANKRUPT"! See why topix censors me? Am I right or wrong? I am
an American, writing from a public library, inside The U.S.A.! We
Americans do have our "FREEDOM" though! I do not want to write
anymore...another freedom, right? Love, Nevada 235
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1182395 Aug 8, 2014
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
Karl Rove: Shame on Conservative Republicans Who Are Floating Impeachment

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/...

though in using the most uninformed person on the planet and the most uninformed site on the planet, i've probably already lost the argument.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1182396 Aug 8, 2014
Wonder if HBO will make a series based on Crazy Uncle Joe?

Gov. Palin: Can You Imagine a VP Not Knowing Africa Is a Continent, Not a Nation?

http://conservatives4palin.com/2014/08/gov-pa...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1182397 Aug 8, 2014
How the Tea Party became as corrupt as the Beltway it loathes

The Tea Party movement started in opposition to Washington's self-dealing. But the sad irony is that they have become mirror images.

This week, ProPublica released a report on the financial (and moral) corruption of a Tea Party group operating under the name Move America Forward, which was founded by one Sal Russo. Russo also helped start the Our Country Deserves Better PAC, aka the Tea Party Express. Move America Forward has run fake drives to give care packages to troops, stolen images of other charitable campaigns and passed them off as its own, and trumpeted a nonexistent partnership with Walter Reed Hospital — all while funneling very real millions to itself. The group is an industry leader at taking your Tea Party sentiments (if you have them) and turning them into profits.

Unfortunately, the continuing success of Sal Russo and the Tea Party Express is emblematic of a larger failure of the American right — and perhaps the larger project of American self-governance.

Earlier this year, The Daily Caller's Alexis Levinson reported that other Tea Party groups that had raised millions spent up to 80 percent of their money on operating expenditures, salaries, consultants, and mailing list companies, which were often owned by the people who ran the groups themselves. The Tea Party is essentially a landlord class; its fiefdom is the truly felt convictions of others.

http://theweek.com/article/index/265958/how-t...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Rogue Scholar 05 194,562
Word (Dec '08) 6 min Red_Forman 5,382
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 min Red_Forman 6,257
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 24 min Go Blue Forever 100,299
how many people think louis farrakhan is an idiot (Mar '11) 1 hr reality is a crutch 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr ritedownthemiddle 54,358
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 6 hr VeganTiger 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages