Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1534504 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1174876 Jul 27, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the idea of a health care system where doctors can get rich. It encourages talented people to become doctors.
I was just about to bring that up but declined.

You're right. They entire concept of capitalism works on the profit motive with 'motivation' being the central operative word here. What is the most efficacious method to motivate people to work for the benefit of society? Adam Smith was right - greed, within limits.

Top Down methods have been tried since forever and have failed. Ordered economies and 5-year Plans don't make it.

Appealing to an individual's ideology, conscience, patriotism, altruism don't work either. Marxism failed there. too. Their philosophy of us all being equal with some being more equal than others has been exposed repeatedly through the ages.

Profit is not a bad word regardless of the stupid mantras of Magic Negro and Dennis Kucinich. "You didn't build that!" kills the American Dream while the author of that ignorant rant goes on to profit from his image - the one he created..

If a doctor can make a good living while pursuing what they like doing, they will fill the Medical Schools and help to heal.

Imagine a Central Government ordering Steven Spielberg to produce appealing movies or some Rock Band to find the optimum cultural hot spot while doing it for a fixed price set by government committee.

Profit means a million different things to millions of different people. For Magic Negro Boy to denigrate the profit motive as some sort of generic human failure is a Marxist slap across every American's face.

Dreams From My Marxist C*ckhound Father is fast becoming America's Nightmare.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1174877 Jul 27, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes you have son. You people thought it was funny having lost limbs below the waist.
You thought it was SO funny, you kept coming up with new ways to use the word 'squat' in jokes to denigrate people.
Once it was pointed out to me you people are those insensitive types who made fun of people who were crippled because you didn't serve, then it started to makes sense.
So again son, your jokes are old. People are waiting to hear you new material. It's a great tool to help others get acclimated to what they can expect in the real world from conservatives.
Bring it on! You... fetchie and the rest... BOY....
Go squat somewhere, boy:-)
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1174878 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing the point and the bigger picture. Costs for health care in the U.S. are off the charts no matter which country you'd prefer instead. An analysis done by Cato back in 1994 still shows the same problems exist today.
The excessive costs of our current medical system can be classified into three major categories:
~ The first, and by far the largest excess cost, is due to the current overuse of medical resources by patients.
~ The second category of excess cost consists of administrative and paperwork costs that are unnecessary for the provision of health care but that have come into existence because of the current patchwork of third-party payers and their attempts to control their increasing costs by closely monitoring the behavior of doctors and patients.
~ The third excess cost is associated with the fear of malpractice suits. Administering medically unnecessary tests and procedures helps to insulate doctors and hospitals from the potential wrath of patients or their families when inevitable accidents occur in medical treatment or when treatments just do not work.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa211.html
So excessive overuse of medical resources, excessive paperwork and regulations and excessive malpractice suits creating excessive unnecessary testing are still the main problems responsible for the higher costs of medical care in this country.
Galt agrees that some people overuse the medical care system, resulting in a very small fraction of the population incurring a very large percentage of medical costs......

on the other hand, when one is seriously ill. it's not the time to try to control costs....

“Stop Child Slavery”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1174879 Jul 27, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
or one can have a doctor from Bangladesh....
Where I live the hospitals are small and they frequently contract with foreign doctors to keep them staffed.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1174880 Jul 27, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not the one cracking jokes and trying to think of more son....
I'm not the one who thinks it's funny son...
That's you.
Obviously you think you can get away with insults because you think I'm the problem. It's a weird way of placing blame but hey! You are a con!
Please take your cheap emotions elsewhere.

There are sincere people here discussing sincerely.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1174881 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You still don't get it. Doctors have become specialized nowadays. You might see several different specialists for the same problem and who often run the same expensive tests. This includes paying for each one of their staff's salaries and benefits, administrative costs, overhead, malpractice insurance and their own salaries which are, in my strong opinion, extremely overrated...and over-bloated.
It's not their own salaries as much as it is the unnecessary tests and treatments and the costs of paying everyone involved with treating your one medical problem.
how much do you think a specialist, a cardiologist for example, should earn???.....

for example, if you need a cardiac stent to save your life, what do you consider to be a reasonable fee for the procedure???.......

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1174882 Jul 27, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
or one can have a doctor from Bangladesh....
I'd be very happy to pay for one qualified doctor in one office with only the necessary tests being ordered.

Doctors specialize for a reason now - so that no ONE physician can be blamed if something goes wrong. And all of them run as many tests as possible in case something does.

But you get billed for each of their "expertise" and tests on top of paying for their malpractice insurance even if something doesn't go wrong with you.

“Stop Child Slavery”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1174883 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You still don't get it. Doctors have become specialized nowadays. You might see several different specialists for the same problem and who often run the same expensive tests. This includes paying for each one of their staff's salaries and benefits, administrative costs, overhead, malpractice insurance and their own salaries which are, in my strong opinion, extremely overrated...and over-bloated.
It's not their own salaries as much as it is the unnecessary tests and treatments and the costs of paying everyone involved with treating your one medical problem.
I have never seen more than one specialist for a problem. I have gone to another specialist when I was unhappy with the first person's care. If this is happening to you, you really need to become pro-active in your care. Especially never pay for the same tests unless the doctor can provide you with a good reason for why it needs to be re-done. I am a pain as I question all services. Cost v benefits.

Yes, there is certain health care costs that can be reduced overall. Such as reducing incidents of malpractice suits or capping, streamline office work for filing claims, etc

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1174884 Jul 27, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
how much do you think a specialist, a cardiologist for example, should earn???.....
for example, if you need a cardiac stent to save your life, what do you consider to be a reasonable fee for the procedure???.......
It's not the cardiologist's expertise that's the problem or what he should earn having that expertise.

Hospitals charge far too much for everything, administrative costs for the mountain of paperwork that's done nowadays and every physician that wants a piece of the insurance pie will see you or just charge you if they even give advise on your chart without even seeing you.

The medical profession has become an insurance scam. What they can't milk out of the insurance companies, they'll squeeze every dime out of you next.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1174885 Jul 27, 2014
yep

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1174886 Jul 27, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen more than one specialist for a problem. I have gone to another specialist when I was unhappy with the first person's care. If this is happening to you, you really need to become pro-active in your care. Especially never pay for the same tests unless the doctor can provide you with a good reason for why it needs to be re-done. I am a pain as I question all services. Cost v benefits.
Yes, there is certain health care costs that can be reduced overall. Such as reducing incidents of malpractice suits or capping, streamline office work for filing claims, etc
You get billed separately by laboratories, radiologists, scans, etc. on top of the specialty physicians' expertise. The hospital charges include ludicrous costs for everyday items and every specialty doctor who just stops by to see you.

There are too many people doing too much unnecessary paperwork, too many people involved with one patient's care, and too many people doing the same job and getting paid up the wazoo at your and my expense.

“Stop Child Slavery”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1174887 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing the point and the bigger picture. Costs for health care in the U.S. are off the charts no matter which country you'd prefer instead. An analysis done by Cato back in 1994 still shows the same problems exist today.
The excessive costs of our current medical system can be classified into three major categories:
~ The first, and by far the largest excess cost, is due to the current overuse of medical resources by patients.
~ The second category of excess cost consists of administrative and paperwork costs that are unnecessary for the provision of health care but that have come into existence because of the current patchwork of third-party payers and their attempts to control their increasing costs by closely monitoring the behavior of doctors and patients.
~ The third excess cost is associated with the fear of malpractice suits. Administering medically unnecessary tests and procedures helps to insulate doctors and hospitals from the potential wrath of patients or their families when inevitable accidents occur in medical treatment or when treatments just do not work.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa211.html
So excessive overuse of medical resources, excessive paperwork and regulations and excessive malpractice suits creating excessive unnecessary testing are still the main problems responsible for the higher costs of medical care in this country.
I was going to mention number one when I noticed you had this on your list. The one complaint I am hearing from doctors are patients seeking medical care when there is no reason. Lonely, old ladies are frequently the abusers followed by young women in their twenties. ERs cannot refuse care and doctors hate to tell patients with concerns not to bother them as that would be the time they do need care. It would be nice if the solution was as easy as identifying the problem.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1174888 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be very happy to pay for one qualified doctor in one office with only the necessary tests being ordered.
Doctors specialize for a reason now - so that no ONE physician can be blamed if something goes wrong. And all of them run as many tests as possible in case something does.
But you get billed for each of their "expertise" and tests on top of paying for their malpractice insurance even if something doesn't go wrong with you.
doctors specialize because medicine is much more complex than in the past and great depth of knowledge in specific areas is required....

your concept that the reason is to avoid blame is paranoid......
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1174889 Jul 27, 2014
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
yep
lol! Been a while since I've seen you. Hope you're enjoying retirement!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1174890 Jul 27, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not the cardiologist's expertise that's the problem or what he should earn having that expertise.
Hospitals charge far too much for everything, administrative costs for the mountain of paperwork that's done nowadays and every physician that wants a piece of the insurance pie will see you or just charge you if they even give advise on your chart without even seeing you.
The medical profession has become an insurance scam. What they can't milk out of the insurance companies, they'll squeeze every dime out of you next.
you said their salaries were "over-bloated"....

so how much do you think they should earn????......
Mr Z

United States

#1174891 Jul 27, 2014
Critics of Halbig Decision Miss the Mark

Tapes came to light showing that Jonathan Gruber “acknowledged by everyone, as an architect of the ACA,” had publicly promoted the plaintiffs’ understanding of the law in early 2012.

The revelations must be quite embarrassing for the critics who were so confident in their position that they felt the need to shout it in the loudest and most bombastic way possible.

Perhaps if the media has been in less of a rush to inappropriately condemn this holding they would not look so foolish today.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1174892 Jul 27, 2014
Sounds like reich wingers want socialist medicine!

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#1174893 Jul 27, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Whiners like dumbass Roxlo think that, unless you allow capitalism to be unregulated & run our government, you are against capitalism.
Lying, douchebag hypocrite and talking chimp revealed to be just another money grubbing 1% er, wise up dumber than shit dave:

Dailyslave.com | Obama Eyes Four Million Dollar Mansion ...
www.dailyslave.com/obama-eyes-four-million-do... -...
5 days ago - Obama Eyes Four Million Dollar Mansion in Gated California Community ... Obama who apparently is in the process of buying a $4 million ... The White House said rumors regarding a home in Rancho Mirage are not true.

After Obama Blasts Top 1 Percent He Plans To Buy One Of ...
yournation.org/after-obama-blasts-top-1-perce... ...
... the rich for buying multi-million dollar homes, it appears that Obama might be ... recently purchased a home valued at $12 million dollars for about $4 million.

Economic violence? Obama to likely purchase 4.5 million ...
www.brennerbrief.com/economic-violence-obama-... -...
Obama to likely purchase 4.5 million dollar house. July 23, 2014 By Renee ... President Obama's new house Photo Credit: Clark Dugger. Is this what is meant by ...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1174894 Jul 27, 2014
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
yep
sorry, this isn't the dyke thread....except for Patricia....

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#1174895 Jul 27, 2014
Americans really wish they elected Mitt Romney instead of Obama
Americans are so down on President Obama at the moment that, if they could do the 2012 election all over again, they'd overwhelmingly back the former Massachusetts governor's bid. Two years ago, Obama won re-election with about 51 percent of the vote.
The Week (RSS)

Flibs are such gullible saps

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 44 min RACE 105,186
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 240,817
GOP: Kids should be financially independent soo... 2 hr Mike Rowe 4
ex chicago police woman (Jul '16) 2 hr Starr 22
Review: Chicago Hauntings Tours 3 hr Annie Cooney 1
News Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r... 3 hr Yes But 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr SweLL GirL 10,691

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages