Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
WAKE UP DEM VOTERS

Buies Creek, NC

#1172236 Jul 24, 2014
One of the things that’s frustrating for non-liberals and non-Progressives is Leftists’ refusal to look Islam in the face (so to speak). Yes, there are crazy people who are Christians and there are entire Christian sects that are crazy (such as the Westboro Baptists or Warren Jeffs’ polygamist Mormon cult). The fact remains, however, that Christians as a whole, whether they belong to big churches or small ones, do not embrace or practice terrorism to achieve their political or religious goals.

Muslims, by contrast, routinely practice terrorism to achieve goals that are simultaneously religious and political, owing to Islam’s fusion of God and state. Even though it’s remarkably simple to tie Islam to terrorism (9/11, the underwear bomber, the Fort Hood shooter, the attempted Portland Christmas tree massacre, the Boston Marathon bombing), Leftists scurry around like cockroaches exposed to the light in their desperate attempt to avoid acknowledging Islam’s violent heart.

Today, I read one thing and wrote another, both of which address Leftist hatred for Christianity, even though modern Christianity and genuine Judaism (as opposed to the hard Leftism that masquerades as “reform Judaism”) are the most humane, civilizing forces the world has ever seen. With their focus on justice and grace, they rid the world of slavery, ended child labor, advanced women’s status and, in Israel’s case, fought a 60-year war without sinking to the level of her enemies. But the Left truly hates them and seeks to undermine them at every turn.

The article I read on this subject is Benjamin Wiker’s “Why aren’t liberals more critical of Islam?” In it, he posits that, because secularism arose within and in opposition to a Christian Europe and America, Christianity was its original enemy. Giving proof, however, to my repeated claim that “Progressives” are actually profoundly “regressive,” secularists (i.e., Leftists) continue their battle with Christianity despite that particular war having ended long ago. Judaism and Christianity absorbed the better parts of secularism while holding on to their core religious principles.

Because they are locked forever in an ideological time warp, says Wiker, liberals (or Progressives or Leftists or whatever else they call themselves to avoid the taint their ideas leave behind) cannot contemplate the possibility that there is another enemy, greater than their old foe Christianity. Which brings me to a post I did today for Mr. Conservative. It concerns Michael ‘Mikey’ Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and one of the most rabid anti-Christians you will ever meet.
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1172237 Jul 24, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Yep__and with a tricky new format to figure out.
The trolls were piled up deep in here yesterday__it's sure doesn't take much to get them all riled up does it.?
I agree, yesterday was a special day for baggers I'm not sure if they got hold of some bad pablum or what? They remind me of Piranha once they smell blood they all get in a frenzy. They are easily excited and filled with hatred and ignorance, depending entirely on any discredited site that they can find. Kinda Flack like.
WAKE UP DEM VOTERS

Buies Creek, NC

#1172238 Jul 24, 2014
We are now—like it or not—immersed in a real debate about the nature of Islam. The background of deceased Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev is forcing us into it. There is no doubt Tamerlan, the elder brother of the two perpetrators, was transformed by his relatively recent embrace of radical Islam.

And so, we have the very difficult question facing us in regard to Islam: Is the propensity to terror and jihad radical in the deepest sense of word’s origin in Latin, radix,“root”? Is there something at the root of the Quran itself and the essential history of Islam that all too frequently creates the Tsarnaev brothers, Al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden, Mohamed Atta, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Hamas, or is there some other source, quiet accidental to Islam?

That question must be taken seriously, very seriously.

I am not going to answer that question, but rather pose another: Why do liberals have so much difficulty even allowing that very serious question to be raised?

The answer to this second question is important for the obvious reason that, if liberals won’t allow the first question to be asked, then it surely can’t be answered.

A lot hangs on not answering it, in pretending it is not a legitimate question to raise. If Islam has a significant tendency to breed domestic Islamism—not everywhere, not in every case, but in a significant number of cases—then the current administration’s obsession with, say, Tea Party terror cells is woefully misplaced.

So what is it about liberalism that makes it so difficult for it to take a clear, critical look at Islam, even while liberals have no problem excoriating Christians for every imaginable historical evil?

I believe I can give at least a partial answer, if we take a big step back from the present scene and view the history of Western liberalism on a larger scale.

Liberalism is an essentially secular movement that began within Christian culture.(In Worshipping the State, I trace it all the way back to Machiavelli in the early 1500s.) Note the two italicized aspects: secular and within.

As secular, liberalism understood itself as embracing this world as the highest good, advocating a self-conscious return to ancient pagan this-worldliness. But this embrace took place within a Christianized culture. Consequently liberalism tended to define itself directly against that which it was (in its own particular historical context) rejecting.

Modern liberalism thereby developed with a deep antagonism toward Christianity, rather than religion in general. It was culturally powerful Christianity that stood in the way of liberal secular progress in the West—not Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Druidism, etc.

And so, radical Enlightenment thinkers like Voltaire rallied his fellow secular soldiers with what would become the battle cry of the eighteenth-century Enlightenment:écrasez l’infâme,“destroy the infamous thing.” It was a cry directed, not against religion in general, but (as historian Peter Gay rightly notes)“against Christianity itself, against Christian dogma in all its forms, Christian institutions, Christian ethics, and the Christian view of man.”
WAKE UP DEM VOTERS

Buies Creek, NC

#1172239 Jul 24, 2014
Liberals therefore tended to approve of anything but Christianity. Deism was fine, or even pantheism. The eminent liberal Rousseau praised Islam and declared Christianity incompatible with good government. Hinduism and Buddhism were exotic and tantalizing among the edge-cutting intelligentsia of the 19th century. Christianity, by contrast, was the religion against which actual liberal progress had to be made.

So, other religions were whitewashed even while Christianity was continually tarred. The tarring was part of the liberal strategy aimed at unseating Christianity from its privileged cultural-legal-moral position in the West. The whitewashing of other religions was part of the strategy too, since elevating them helped deflate the privileged status of Christianity.

And so, for liberalism, nothing could be as bad as Christianity. If something goes wrong, blame Christianity first and all of Western culture that is based upon it.

This view remains integral to liberalism today, and it affects how liberals treat Islam.

That’s why liberals are disposed to interpret the Crusades as the result of Christian aggression, rather than, as it actually was, a response to Islamic aggression. That’s why Christian organizations are regularly maltreated on our liberal college campuses while Islamic student organizations and needs are graciously met. And the liberal media—ever wonder why you didn’t hear last February of the imam of the Arlington, VA mosque calling for Muslims to wage war against the enemies of Allah? Nor should we wonder why, for liberals, contemporary jihadist movements in Islam must be seen as justified reactions to Western policies—chickens coming home to roost. Or when a bomb goes off, that’s why a liberal must hope that it was perpetrated by some fundamentalist patriotic Christian group.

What liberals do not want to do is take a deep, critical look at Islam. To do so just might question some of their most basic assumptions.

Author and speaker Benjamin Wiker,
http://humanevents.com/2013/04/25/liberalism-...
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1172240 Jul 24, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> A simple question. Why do you think no one wants the Palestinians? There has to be a reason that even their fellow Arabs shun them. Think about it.
One could ask the question about the Jews who are probably the most shunned on earth. Everyone has a Jew joke not so with Palestinians. Hell we could say the same about West Virginians like you

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1172241 Jul 24, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
This situation is a tragedy for all concerned, not least for Israel itself. A Greater Israel cannot be anything but an apartheid state, and exclusionary ethnic nationalism of this sort is not sustainable in the 21st century. Israel's Arab subjects will eventually demand equal rights, and as former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert warned back in 2007, once that happens, "the state of Israel is finished."
Who are the Israeli Arabs?
About a fifth of Israel's population - roughly 1.45m people - are of Palestinian Arab descent.
During the war that surrounded the creation of the state of Israel in 1948, hundreds of thousands of Arabs were forced from or fled their homes. Those who remained within what became Israel, and their descendents, have been granted citizenship and are known as Israeli Arabs.
In addition there are about 250,000 Arab residents of occupied East Jerusalem. The majority have refused citizenship, so are not described as Israeli Arabs, but still have Israeli residency.
About 80% of Israeli Arabs are Muslim, the rest are divided, roughly equally, between Christians and Druze.
The majority of Israeli Arabs identify closely with Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza and often describe themselves as "Palestinian citizens of Israel" and "1948 Palestinians".
What is their status in Israel?
Israel defines itself as both Jewish and democratic, but some argue it is impossible for it to be both without discriminating against non-Jews.
The Israeli government says Israeli Arabs are citizens with equal rights - although their "civic duty" differs as they are exempt from compulsory military service.
It points out that Israel's Declaration of Independence promises equality for all.
But one Israeli-Arab MP has described Israel as "democratic for Jews and Jewish for Arabs" and Israeli Arabs frequently describe themselves as "second class citizens".
The Orr Commission, a government inquiry, concluded in 2003 that "government handling of the Arab sector has been primarily neglectful and discriminatory".
And the US state department says Israeli Arabs face "institutional, legal, and societal discrimination".
Where do they live?
The largest concentration of Israeli Arabs is in the north of Israel, in towns such as Nazareth, Um al-Fahm and Sakhnin. Many also live in mixed cities such as Haifa, Jaffa and Acre.
The Israeli state appropriated what the Orr commission described as "vast expanses" of land owned by Arabs who fled or were forced out in the wake of 1948.
This and subsequent policies resulted in a "drastic decrease" in the land available to Israeli Arabs, the commission said.
Although determining accurate figures is difficult, advocacy groups say Israeli Arabs now live on about 3% of the land in Israel, despite making up about 20% of the population.
Since 1948, no new Arab towns - apart from Bedouin townships - have been founded, although the Israeli-Arab population has grown at least sevenfold.
Many Arab communities were surrounded by areas used for security purposes, Jewish regional councils, national parks and highways, that prevent or block future expansion, the commission said.
According to advocacy groups, some 160,000 Bedouin Arabs live in the Negev in southern Israeli, about half of them in "unrecognised settlements" which are cut off from basic services.
Most of the rest live in impoverished towns established by the state.
PDUPONT

Belchertown, MA

#1172242 Jul 24, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dupie shows once again the ignorance of government slugs concerning business....
business invests in equipment and personnel when they have sufficient demand for their products and/or services to justify the investment.....
only a fool would invest in unnecessary capacity just because of low interest rates....
For one thing dumbass, outside of my time in the military and a short stint as a temporary part time census enumerator, I've worked in the private sector for my entire working career.
No one said anything about investing in unnecessary capacity you moron. Increased demand requires increased capacity in the form of machinery and raw materials and may included expanding a manufacturing facility or investing in a larger one. Higher interest rates make this more difficult and in some cases impossible. If an entrepreneur comes up with an idea for a new product or service interest rates play an important part in whether the business gets off the ground or dies in the womb.
At the beginning of the Reagan administration the Fed raised interest rates to combat inflation. In that aspect it worked but it also made it harder for businesses to borrow money and resulted in nine months of double digit unemployment. When the interest rates were lowered and business financing became less expensive the unemployment rates dropped.
There's not a damn thing wrong with working in the public sector you vomitous cretin after all Paul Ryan followed the same path that my son is following now.
You're an idiot Galt; you always have been and always will be!

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1172243 Jul 24, 2014
THE DEVIL wrote:
I LOVE THIS TIME OF NIGHT... IT'S MY PERSONAL FAVORITE.... YOU HAVE THE TIME AND SILENCE TO THINK... FEEL... CREATE.... THE TEA PARTY... CONSERVATIVES... BLANK-EYED DOE-LIKE STARES AT THE CONCEPT THAT THERE WERE MORE THAN 4 OR 5,000 FATALITIES IN THE MOST RECENT WAR WE LOST... OR, PERHAPS, THAT MORE THAN 57,000 PEOPLE DIED IN THE VIETNAMESE DEBACLE.... WHY DO THE REST OF US LET THESE PEOPLE BEHAVE IN THIS FASHION... WHY TOLERATE THEIR IGNORANCE, NOW THAT IT IS..... VIRULENT... ON THE MOVE..... THEIR BEDROCK FASCINATION WITH THE "CONSTITUTION".... AS IF IT WERE A LIVING THING, WHICH, I CAN CONFIRM UPON RECENT INSPECTION, IT IS NOT.... THE NOTION THAT A MOUNTAIN CAN BECOME A HOUSING DEVELOPMENT.... AND IS "IMPROVED" THEREBY... A SWARMING CITY OF BUSY LITTLE BEES STEALING AND STORING THEIR POLLEN IN THE FORM OF HONEY.... DRONES QUIETLY GROOMING, BUILDING, COSSETING.... FOR WHAT?... FOR WHAT DO THEY STRIVE?.... THE QUEEN... ANY QUEEN... THEY STRIVE FOR HER... ARE BEES PARTICULARLY MONARCHIST?...... IT'S ABSOLUTELY AMAZING THAT WE SEEM TO ACTUALLY BELIEVE WE ARE MORE THAN SOME SORT OF POINTLESS, BIOLOGICAL ASSEMBLY.... LOST IN SPACE.... IN ONE SHORT LIFETIME I'VE WITNESSED AND EVEN PARTICIPATED IN.... SUCH OVERWHELMING DESTRUCTION... IS THE POINT SIMPLY TO STAY ALIVE TO SERVE THE QUEEN?...
Great post Devil, but you may as well have written it in Latin since there isn't a chance in hell (pun intended) that these right wing morons get the message and metaphors.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

East Hartford, CT

#1172244 Jul 24, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>One could ask the question about the Jews who are probably the most shunned on earth. Everyone has a Jew joke not so with Palestinians. Hell we could say the same about West Virginians like you
Wow! You found a new word today and used in in two earlier posts and you also like jokes! Here's on that applies to you gramps!

Q: What do you call a liberal with an IQ of 140?

A: A foursome!

Enjoy the rest of your no life existence here on Topix all day being a hypocrite, old guy!

Try to keep your lie count down though. You were a little over the top yesterday.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1172245 Jul 24, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>You're completely lost on the subject dumazz.
College deferments were not automatic and there absolutely were deferments for married and then married with children.
Why do you insist on being stupid???
The draft lottery began in December 1969__I had already served two tours in RVN by then.
You can google this stuff.
Why don't you say you served three tours? How about four? Can any Democrat open their mouth without lying?

But, let's take a look at your statement. Somehow, after a year in nam, you liked it enough to go back instead of taking a post in Germany or Japan or Phillipines or Hawaii, or even stateside. Now, after liking nam enough to volunteer to go back, you claim it was a horrible experience.

Can any Democrat even open their mouth without lying?

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1172246 Jul 24, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet you have seen the inside of a few court rooms huh loser?
Twice. Acquitted both times.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

East Hartford, CT

#1172247 Jul 24, 2014
Nostrilis Waxmoron wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post Devil, but you may as well have written it in Latin since there isn't a chance in hell (pun intended) that these right wing morons get the message and metaphors.
Ghost - another lying Democrat like you son!

"A Montana senator who is running for re-election suggested Wednesday that medication he took for post-traumatic stress disorder after service in Iraq may have been responsible for apparently plagiarized passages in his thesis."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/23/se...

You must have that PTSD thing too! Was it really that stressful as a security guard?

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1172248 Jul 24, 2014
Tinka wrote:
Mediatly Amediat mediate Moderately anything?
They killed a Peakbird ...
Peacock, don't know where or nothing more said about it...
About that amongst the people a pretty feathery pre-historic?
Pre-History before there was any to speak of...Yeah?
I bet there is a lot to read through one day I will start again to read back some I wonder if it is in the reform program a more soothing or to a behind a look a head? More for the can you imagine...
Is like leave it @ that a lone and I am saying the most interesting I heard was that someone snuffed a bird..
OM GEEEEEEEEEEEEE
A party break and how sad it is not being able to sit much anywhere outside...
What is with it...up with that?
I pretty much lived right next door of a Peakock farm so how do you spell that thing though?
Do you speak English?

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1172249 Jul 24, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the "nonprofit foundation" Hillary donates her speaking fees to?
What dors that have to do with Rand Paul advertising being board certified when he basically formed his own board & certified himself.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1172250 Jul 24, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
what would have happened if there were 189 Israelis on that plane that was shot down?
World War effing 3 would have happened. Did you see the Dutch waiting for the bodies to be returned to them? Did they speak of bombing the smithereens out of Russia? Do the Dutch have the right to defend themselves? Russia murdered 189 of their citizens.
News reports this morning say evidence may show it wasn't a Russian missile that shot down the 777. Jumping to conclusions is never a good idea.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1172251 Jul 24, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Rand Pau is a fraud.
In his eye practice, he advertised that he was board certified.
But it was not the real board, it was the board that Rand Paul formed.
So, what you're saying is, Rand Paul was board-certified, right?
PDUPONT

Belchertown, MA

#1172253 Jul 24, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think there are any Americans left to declare a war on besides the working class.
How sad is it the Democratic Party has become the "divide and conquer" party it is today.
Can we imagine JFK and Democrats before and during the 1960s declaring so many wars on fellow Americans just to garner votes from a misguided and easy to anger base?
Because that's all present day Democrats are doing. Not only have they become a different party than JFK's Democratic Party but are just trying to anger their misguided base for votes.
Very sad, indeed.
Total hogwash you clueless twit! The House Republican budget, the so-called Path to Prosperity, is chock full of policies that would make life easier for the wealthiest while increasing burdens upon middle class households. It cuts taxes for the wealthy, while increasing taxes on the middle class and significantly cutting programs such as Medicare on which the middle class depend.
The most anti-middle class change in the House-passed Republican budget is ending Medicare as we know it. The plan would have changed Medicare from an important middle-class program that guarantees healthcare for the elderly to a voucher program that fails to help seniors keep up with the cost of premiums. Radically changing Medicare would undermine a program that middle-class Americans have come to rely upon. If Rep. Ryan’s plan becomes law, the average Medicare beneficiary in 2030 would have to pay 68 percent of their health care costs compared to 25 percent under current law, according to the Congressional Budget Office.
The Republican plan also makes cuts to other important middle-class programs, such as Pell grants. These grants help middle- and lower-income families afford the costs of higher education. Not only would cuts to Pell grants undermine social mobility and increase income inequality, they would undermine future growth as the United States would have less educated workforce.
Why you keep shilling for people who couldn't be bothered to piss on you if you were on fire is beyond me.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#1172254 Jul 24, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
if the Palestinians were given all of Israel, they would turn it into Detroit....
....and then continue to live in their dark age, barbaric little terrorist condoning world of IGNORANCE, deny that MICHIGAN exists, and lob bombs at innocents all around it daily.

T which the only rational response is (to paraphrase Duh A Vey somewhat)-

"My God, SOME of you people are just so damn "fkn" stupid".

(terrorist and terrorism condoning IMBECILIC morons.)

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1172255 Jul 24, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text> This is a lie & you were present links proving it was a lie.
Dumbwaiter is back & is still dumber than sh*t.
Obama has never even seen the inside of a court room as a lawyer.

The only link anyone can find that opposes this statement is a LA Times article that includes infrmation about specific plantiffs with settlements of 300 dollars or so, obviously never went to trial. The "proof" Obama was ever in a courtroom as a lawyer are nebulous comments by his employer without any of the details provided for the penny ante suits obviously settled out of court. It seems that if the "journalist" could get the minute details of penny ante lawsuits, he could get some deails of the big cases Obama worked on. That is what was missing from the only article anyone can find promoting the lie that Obama is a constitutional lawyer.
Let's state the facts again:

Obama is a fraud. Obama has never even seen the inside of a court room as a lawyer.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1172256 Jul 24, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
think of the stupid fools who dropped good insurance coverage to take advantage of the taxpayers and are now left holding the bag.....
too bad for those bloodsuckers....
seems to me this is the point Roberts was making when the Supreme court said "It is a tax", at the end Roberts said "you will figure it out". O'bama care is done. There are many ways to skin an O'bama and his care. We'll see if the court upholds the law that a tax must start in the House of Representatives, which O'bamacare did not. That case is still in the pipeline.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min wojar 184,952
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min DonPanic 51,493
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr Not Yet Equal 51,359
Abby 2-28-15 6 hr Mister Tonka 8
vmware certification VCP550D books 6 hr vmwareexams 1
Chicago's black voters key as Garcia battles to... 8 hr okimar 8
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr TRD 69,115
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:12 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:12AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future
Bleacher Report 8:57 PM
Bears' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency