Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1374907 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1169691 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the time stamps on the news feeds. Faux News was the first to run with the INTERFAX story. Not Reuters. Stop trying to pass the buck. If you have a Reuters report issued prior to the Fox Report provide it. Tick Tock
Fox News, July 17, 2014, 10:07 am; updated at 2:45 pm MDT:
"Interfax reported Interior Ministry adviser Anton Gerashenko said 23 of those are Americans."
http://fox13now.com/2014/07/17/cnn-malaysia-a...
Reuters, July 17, 2014, 7:48 pm EDT:
"U.S. President Barack Obama said it was unclear whether Americans were aboard. A Ukrainian official said there were 23."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/17/us-...
Note: "The Boeing 777...crashed near the Russian border about 4:30 p.m. local time (9:30 a.m. EDT) after it was shot down by a powerful Russian Buk rocket, an adviser to Ukraine’s interior minister said."
funny, i was lisening to MPR/NPR all day and they never once gave erroneous info on it...it was later in teh day when it was confirmed that they finally knew an american was on the plane...

guess it all depends on the quality of the news sources you use....

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1169692 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
FACT: It was not an American airline.
You and yours are always looking for an excuse to go to war. Hawkish Republican members of Congress would have us involved in several wars if hey were in power. Thank God they are not.
You'd never make it as a Taxi Driver, Baby. Your customers would get lost along with their driver.

I wrote that it was a Malaysia Airliner and you come back with an angry response that it was not an American Airline.

Huh?

Clueless.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1169693 Jul 20, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
nice sentiment, but what does the Prime Minister propose to do about it???....
"For too long there has been a reluctance on the part of too many EUROPEAN countries to face up to the implications of what is happening in eastern Ukraine," David Cameron wrote.

With Cameron raising the prospect of further sanctions unless Putin changes course, Michael Fallon, who took over at the Ministry of Defence in Cameron's recent reshuffle, said: "There is plenty of evidence that financial sanctions are already affecting the Russian economy and the ability of their bodies to trade through London.

"There's a range of other sanctions available, cutting off more links with Russia.[Putin] needs to trade with the west and relies on the City of London."

Nato has bolstered its support for its former eastern bloc members who have been concerned by Russian interference in Ukraine, including the deployment of RAF Typhoons as part of the Baltic air policing mission.

Fallon, 62, indicated that further assistance could be offered to Nato members in future as a result of the crisis in Ukraine, which is not a member of the alliance.

He said: "I don't think we are at the start of world war three, but Nato has to respond. It is clearly a threat to Nato's eastern flank and that's why we must offer as much reassurance as we can, particularly to the Baltic states - that is why we have had four Typhoons there since May."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/...

“Depends on the Day”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1169694 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me, do you believe Hamas has the right to retaliate against israel or do you share Nutanyahoo's belief that it is a one-way street only available to israel?
FYI, Hamas did agree to the Red Cross cease fire.
"During the ceasefire, local Gaza rescue services managed to evacuate 50 Palestinian bodies from the Shejaia neighborhood in the east of Gaza City. The Gaza Health Ministry says the dead included 17 children and 14 women and hundreds of wounded were being treated. The Rafah crossing has been opened, but only for use for humanitarian emergencies."
I will add that I find it reprehensible that Hamas is launching missiles from residential neighborhoods but they are not exactly powerful enough to do any damage in israel. It is just as reprehensible that israel is bombing those areas knowing that they are killing innocent women and children.
http://rt.com/news/174192-hamas-israel-ceasef...
Hamas needs to agree to a cease fire and stop sending rockets.

Very simple
WAKE UP VOTERS

Lillington, NC

#1169695 Jul 20, 2014
Boy, this is an administration that really doesn’t like to be criticized. Say what you will about George W. Bush, but it’s hard to remember him sending the DOJ to “investigate” instances of light mockery in the hopes of shutting it down at the national level. Criticizing and mocking the President of the United States is a well-worn, time-tested tradition in this country, and you can find instances of hateful protest going back to the days of George Washington. Apparently, though, because Barack Obama is black and we can invoke the specter of racism when it comes to his critics, it’s a whole other ballgame. The latest controversy, of course, surrounds a 4th of July parade float that made headlines in Norfolk, Nebraska. In a quasi-clever display, float-creator Dale Remmich created an outhouse with the label “Obama Presidential Library” plastered on the front. A zombie-esque character resembling the president stood outside the float. This harmless display of political activism was enough for the Nebraska Democratic Party to decry it as one of the “worst shows of racism and disrespect for the office of the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen.” It may be the kind of politically-motivated hyperbole you would expect from the party chairmen, but apparently this is an issue that must be investigated on the federal level. The U.S. Department of Justice, therefore, has sent a member of its Community Relations Service team to “investigate” the float, though it’s uncertain what such an investigation means except on a public relations level.- See more at: http://www.fixthisnation.com/conservative-bre...
WAKE UP VOTERS

Lillington, NC

#1169696 Jul 20, 2014
When will black Americans wake up and realize that their loyalty to the Democrat Party is costing them every opportunity they need to move forward into the 21st Century? Obama is a special case, of course, and you can barely blame a black voter for heading to the polls in 2008 to cast a vote for history. You would think, however, that four years of broken promises and exactly zero help, they might have decided to stay home in 2012. But of course the Republican Party is full of backwards racists who would never so anything to give the black man a helping hand up. Racism is a real thing, and it is always unfortunate when it raises its ugly head. What may be just as unfortunate, though, is this new attempt to make every critique of a black person into an accusation of bigotry. One of the most disturbing examples of this came in 1993 when Eden Jacobowitz introduced “water buffalo” into our national racist lexicon, shouting the insult at a bunch of noisy sorority sisters at Penn State. Though this wasn’t a recognized racial slur at the time (or since), it was enough for Penn to prosecute Jacobowitz with hate speech. Thankfully, national attention at the time was enough to resolve the case and send campus police back to their troll holes with their tails between their legs. Hopefully, similar attention will bring this DOJ investigation to an end before it can gain any real traction.- See more at: http://www.fixthisnation.com/conservative-bre...

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1169697 Jul 20, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>USA nailed you and now he is the confused one???? Prove it then.
LOL, yes senseless ignoring various posters, links to various news sources claiming Reuters as the source as well as the Reuter's tweet itself citing a Ukraine Minister as the source coupled with her confusion was overwhelming.

Why are you getting involved in this dumbest of Left-wing conspiracy theories?

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1169698 Jul 20, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
"What difference does it make?".....
LOL, sure bets discussing real issues is my best guess

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1169699 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me, do you believe Hamas has the right to retaliate against israel or do you share Nutanyahoo's belief that it is a one-way street only available to israel?
FYI, Hamas did agree to the Red Cross cease fire.
"During the ceasefire, local Gaza rescue services managed to evacuate 50 Palestinian bodies from the Shejaia neighborhood in the east of Gaza City. The Gaza Health Ministry says the dead included 17 children and 14 women and hundreds of wounded were being treated. The Rafah crossing has been opened, but only for use for humanitarian emergencies."
I will add that I find it reprehensible that Hamas is launching missiles from residential neighborhoods but they are not exactly powerful enough to do any damage in israel. It is just as reprehensible that israel is bombing those areas knowing that they are killing innocent women and children.
http://rt.com/news/174192-hamas-israel-ceasef...
Hamas is not retaliating . they are hurling unguided missiles into cities...

gaurantee you if those missiles stop, the assault from israel will stop. you know it, i know it, the world knows it. throw all the rocks you want, hurl missiles into cities and you will be wiped out. clear as day. no room for misunderstanding in this civil world.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1169700 Jul 20, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"uselesswsinceforever "
I would suggest you read the constitution.
Do you really believe that the US is bound by UN actions that are not agreed to/ratified by the US.
Peace
KMA
GPUAR
Yes, the Congress of the United States ratifed the U.N. Charter and we are bound by its articles.

For example:

" Article 27 provides that decisions of the Security Council on procedural matters shall be made by an affirmative vote of nine members (formerly seven) and on all other matters by an affirmative vote of nine members (formerly seven), including the concurring votes of the five permanent members of the Security Council." Congress does not get to ratify U.N. actions.

Article 103 of the Charter states that obligations to the United Nations prevail over all other treaty obligations.
Patrick

United States

#1169701 Jul 20, 2014
Actor James Garner, whose whimsical style in the 1950s TV Western "Maverick" led to a stellar career in TV and films such as "The Rockford Files" and his Oscar-nominated "Murphy's Romance," has died, police said. He was 86.

He was found dead of natural causes at his home in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles Saturday evening, Los Angeles police officer Alonzo Iniquez said early Sunday.

Police responded to a call around 8 p.m. PDT and confirmed Garner's identity from family members, Iniquez told The Associated Press.

There was no immediate word on a more specific cause of death. Garner had suffered a stroke in May 2008, just weeks after his 80th birthday.

Although he was adept at drama and action, Garner was best known for his low-key, wisecracking style, especially with his hit TV series, "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files."

His quick-witted avoidance of conflict provided a refreshingly new take on the American hero, contrasting with the steely heroics of John Wayne and the fast trigger of Clint Eastwood.

Garner received a Purple Heart in 1983. He was wounded in April 1951 while with U.S. forces in Korea, but his medal was never presented to him.(
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1169702 Jul 20, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hamas needs to agree to a cease fire and stop sending rockets.
Very simple
And what should Israel have to do? Keep building on occupied land keep disrespecting and pushing he Palestinians off their land. Anyone that believes Israels version of that nation is way to ill-informed and blind.

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1169703 Jul 20, 2014
*beats
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1169704 Jul 20, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd never make it as a Taxi Driver, Baby. Your customers would get lost along with their driver.
I wrote that it was a Malaysia Airliner and you come back with an angry response that it was not an American Airline.
Huh?
Clueless.
You wouldn't know a airplane from a tug boat, pervert.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1169705 Jul 20, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your confusion is all yours
In other words, you have nothing to back up your lies. Typical. Duck and Run which we have come to expect of you.

By the way, where's your list of the 13 SCOTUS decision you claim against Obama? Tick Tock

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1169707 Jul 20, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
"What difference does it make?".....
I'm just toying with Roxy (aka "clueless"). I've certainly learned that it is impossible to engage her in any kind of reasonable conversation so I choose to point out her lies and watch her squirm as she avoids admitting she was W R O N G. Perhaps, next time, she will think twice before jumping on the Fox bandwagon.

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1169708 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Congress of the United States ratifed the U.N. Charter and we are bound by its articles.
For example:
" Article 27 provides that decisions of the Security Council on procedural matters shall be made by an affirmative vote of nine members (formerly seven) and on all other matters by an affirmative vote of nine members (formerly seven), including the concurring votes of the five permanent members of the Security Council."

Congress does not get to ratify U.N. actions.
Article 103 of the Charter states that obligations to the United Nations prevail over all other treaty obligations.
Senseless,

All you provided was a voting procedure.

Where in there do you see that this decision by the UN is international law and binding?

Yes, Congress does ratify any treaties as noted in the constitution.

Sometimes UN treaties are not sent to Congress due to the discretion of the POTUS or the Senate fails to act on them--
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/272819-u...
http://www.hrw.org/news/2009/07/24/united-sta...

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1169709 Jul 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>funny, i was lisening to MPR/NPR all day and they never once gave erroneous info on it...it was later in teh day when it was confirmed that they finally knew an american was on the plane...
guess it all depends on the quality of the news sources you use....
Exactly!!!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1169710 Jul 20, 2014
Le Blaireau wrote:
Leftists freely label poor whites as "redneck," "white trash," "trailer trash," and "hillbilly."
At the same time that leftists toss around these racist and classist slurs, they are so sanctimonious they forbid anyone to pronounce the N word when reading Mark Twain aloud.
Clinton's advisor James Carville succinctly summed up leftist contempt for poor whites in his memorable quote, "Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find."
Hypocrites extraordinaire.
Galt tried to respond with equivalent words for black folks, but Topix censored the words.....

racial bias by Topix......

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1169711 Jul 20, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just toying with Roxy (aka "clueless"). I've certainly learned that it is impossible to engage her in any kind of reasonable conversation so I choose to point out her lies and watch her squirm as she avoids admitting she was W R O N G. Perhaps, next time, she will think twice before jumping on the Fox bandwagon.
You idiot. You made a false claim that you failed to back up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The USA has the SUPER RICHEST..................... 3 min Billionaire Dayton 56
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 min Ricky F 101,743
last post wins! (Dec '10) 14 min They cannot kill ... 1,974
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min JRB 213,186
last post wins! (Apr '13) 45 min They cannot kill ... 931
Adult dating someone in highschool 1 hr Shycat9 1
Work relationship law 1 hr Shycat9 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages