Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1374446 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1165859 Jul 13, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
And just how do you keep them from reaching American soil dipstick?
Obama didn't invite anyone you damned liar!
You're an idiot; you always have been and always will be!
Do you want an honest answer or just some rhetoricalhoreshit? Let me warn you. You won't like it.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1165860 Jul 13, 2014
A tale of two ships passing

By Joanne Kimberlin
The Virginian-Pilot
© July 13, 2014
NEWPORT NEWS
On the banks of the James River, in the bustle of the sprawling shipyard, two great warriors have come together, a lifetime apart.
At Pier 3, the Ford is being born.
At Pier 2, the Enterprise is dying.
The timing is coincidental - just the ebb and flow of work at the yard. But even here, where warships have come and gone for over a century, the poetry of the moment isn't lost.
Seeing the nation's latest aircraft carrier side by side with the first nuclear-powered one puts lumps in the throats of hard-hats and sailors alike.
Tom Moore, a rear admiral who oversees the Navy's carrier program from Washington, said the sight strikes a chord whenever he's in town and catches a glimpse of the flattops from Interstate 664.
"It's the past and the future right there," Moore said. "That kind of grabs me every time."
It's bittersweet. On the Gerald R. Ford - which is nearly 80 percent complete - hissing air hoses and pinging hammers are the sounds of progress. Right next door - where the Enterprise is being stripped for scrapping - those same sounds signal a funeral.
"A lot of people have emotional ties to the Enterprise," said Chris Miner, a vice president of Newport News Shipbuilding. "I've never seen anything like it, and I've been here 30-plus years. It's a dagger in the heart to see her go."
John Meier, the Ford's captain, said the scene at Piers 2 and 3 is like "A Tale of Two Cities," the novel by Charles Dickens that opens with the classic line: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
"We're on the upswing and they're on the decline," Meier said. "I can only say it's good to be on this end of that life cycle."

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1165861 Jul 13, 2014
It's impossible not to be awed in the presence of an aircraft carrier. Sheer size, capability and longevity create a warfighting machine "unmatched in the world," Moore said.
The Ford's slogan, "100,000 tons of diplomacy," is up from the 90,000-ton weight of its predecessors. Like the Enterprise, it's a prototype, the first in a new class of carriers.
The Ford's realm is a sweathouse of activity. Roughly 2,700 shipyard employees stream on board daily, with another 1,300 providing support from shops, offices and warehouses. Workers in coveralls occupy every unfinished cranny of its decks - painting, welding, wiring, twisting wrenches, shuttling materials.
As compartments are "brought to life," they're turned over to the captain. Roughly 500 of the carrier's 2,600 "spaces" now belong to Meier and the 1,000 sailors already assigned to the Ford.
"There's an incremental transfer of ownership," Meier said. "It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time."
There's an energy in the organized chaos - the atmosphere of people on a roll. Chatter flows, jokes ricochet, and supervisors are eager to show off the carrier's next-generation features and "smart" technology.
Aircraft will be launched using electric catapults instead of steam. Systems will be state-of-the art. Automation will reduce the crew size. Accommodations will be cushier.
"This is my kid's ship," said one supervisor. "Flat screens instead of gauges."
No one seems prouder of the Ford than Meier. Originally from the Pittsburgh area, he's 50, with broad shoulders, an earnest air and enough silver in his hair to suit his new role - the biggest assignment of his career.
Technically, Meier is the Ford's "prospective" commanding officer, since the carrier isn't an official part of the fleet yet, but he hopes to still be at the helm in March 2016. That's when the $14 billion ship is scheduled to start its 50 years of duty as a seagoing airbase, carrying out its mission and making its mark.
"Being chosen is a great honor," he said. "I'm excited about the responsibility and accountability, but mostly about the sailors I get to work with. They're spectacular."
Meier lives in Virginia Beach, is married and has two sons at Kellam High School. Like all carrier commanders, he's nuclear-trained and an aviator with plenty of time in a cockpit under his belt. Back then, his call sign was "Oscar," a play on his last name.
A man on the rise, Meier comes across as polished and politically correct, a poster of the new-school military - much like his ship, which, by the way, has no urinals, a reflection of modern co-ed crews.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1165862 Jul 13, 2014
Old school is on the next pier, just a stone's throw away.
Capt. Bill Hamilton is known as "Boomer," a call sign earned long ago after he pushed his fighter jet past the speed of sound during war games over Valdosta, Ga. He blew the windows out of a J.C. Penney and ruptured its plumbing, soaking the merchandise.
"It was an incredible act of stupidity," he said with a grin, knowing that the same move would likely sideline a military career today. Instead, Hamilton rose through the ranks to become the last commanding officer of the Enterprise - the Big E.
"She's a hard ship," he said. "But she's amazing. One of a kind."
Literally. Built at Newport News when atomic technology was young, the Big E was the largest warship in the world, intended to be the lead in a new class of six carriers.
But the Navy decided to switch to the Nimitz design. That left the Enterprise in a category all its own, the only carrier ever built with eight reactors. All others, including the Ford, have two.
"So she became an experiment," Hamilton said. "Would eight reactors play nice together? Would it work? Would it pay off? There were no expectations she'd go past 20 years. She made it to 51."
Such a lifespan entwined the Big E with American history, from the Cuban Missile Crisis to Vietnam to Afghanistan and Iraq - infusing the ship with a certain "romance," Rear Adm. Moore said.
Moore, who spent three years on the Enterprise, describes it as one of his "favorite ships of all time," even though it was manpower-intensive and harder to maintain with each passing year. Near the end, replacement parts were often made by hand, their original manufacturers long out of business.
"She was such a wild beast," Moore said - full of idiosyncrasies. "It took a lot of sweat and tears to tame her."
Serving on the Big E became a "badge of honor," Moore said. "And she was fast. There was some pride that went along with that. It's my understanding that, on her last time out, Captain Hamilton got permission to crank her up to top speed."
Standing on the dock in front of the Enterprise, Hamilton narrows one eye when he hears what Moore said about "permission."
"I didn't have to ask anybody's permission," he said. "I'm the captain."
The Navy won't say exactly how fast its carriers will go - "30-plus knots" is the standard answer - but in 2012 off the North Carolina coast, when Hamilton "opened her up" for one last hard run, he said, "she was off the charts. You can really chew up some water with 280,000 horsepower and 90,000 tons."
Now, the Big E is at rest. The yard has 1,200 employees gutting the ship, but compared to the ruckus next door at the Ford, the Enterprise seems silent as a tomb.
Its crew, once 3,000 strong, has been whittled to 750 sailors. They monitor the reactors, stand guard, and help yard engineers write the blueprint for future defuelings. Even on death row, the Enterprise is setting precedents. No one has ever scrapped a nuclear-powered carrier before.
Safety concerns keep Hamilton from giving tours. Yawning holes have been cut through decks to access the reactors. Interiors have been stripped, walls torn down, and the mast, antennas, radars and war systems removed.
"There are times when I'm on board," Hamilton said, "and I have to stop myself and think,'Where am I?' So much of it is already unrecognizable."
At 58, Hamilton is less than a decade older than the Ford's new captain. But he has the bearing of an old salt, the weathered look and wide stance of a man with permanent sea legs. He lives in Chesapeake with his wife. Their two daughters are grown, married and living elsewhere.
When the Big E's nuclear fuel is removed in 2016 and its skeleton is towed to Puget Sound in Washington state to be broken apart, Hamilton will "walk off into the sunset" as well. He has plans to go play with his grandkids, maybe retire to his native Alabama.
"I'll see her all the way to the end," he said of the mountain of gray steel behind him.
"It's time. For both of us."

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#1165866 Jul 13, 2014
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry I didn't recognize at first your comprehension disability. The point is obvious and I stated both points of view the WHOLE POINT is which point of view is based on a ethical reason thought process and which is a matter of convenience to those who engage in sex without proper responsibility taken for their actions. Abortions should never be used as birth control. One of the reasons consenting 'adults' should be the only ones engaged in sexual activities. Millions of unborn are kill as a 'convenience' what type of society engages that as a evolved reasoned accepted behavior?
I am a woman and a mother I have thought about it and I know those who have had to make the torturous decision but never as birth control. I support legal abortion in cases of incest, rape and health of the mother is in jeopardy.
why is it that people assume those women who get abortions diedn't use birth control?

I read that approximately 58% of those getting abortions are married women with children who were in fact using birth control at the time.

Think about the statistics and odds. Even if birth control is 98% effective, Multiply that 2% by the number of women that can conceive by the number of times they have sex, say in a given year, and that turns outto be one large number.

Why should a woman risk an unwanted pregnancy. It can have dire economical ramifications on her family and her marriage.

but besides all that, not evereyon thinks like you, nr shoould they be forced to live by your standards. Itsa woman's body, her health and her decision.

tell me, what is ethical abuot bringing a child into a world where it is unwanted, subjected to abuse, drugs, live in poverty with no hope of getting out, with no future

There's a book and theory out called freakeconomics. One of the thereoms is that crime went down in the 90's because abortion became legal in 72. Those unwanted children weren't born and 20 years later diddn't grow up to become criminals
The Debils Mentally ILL

Buffalo, NY

#1165867 Jul 13, 2014
new yawk wrote:
So, again I ask... Once you stuff the place with various salt-of-the-earth baby loving types, what's supposed to happen then?
You'll be shuffling off this mortal coil ... Just follow the Sign - "This Way: Down".

As Oprah said: "They have to die". Do not deign to disagree with leader of Da One.
Torn Sak

East Hartford, CT

#1165868 Jul 13, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
And just how do you keep them from reaching American soil dipstick?
Obama didn't invite anyone you damned liar!
You're an idiot; you always have been and always will be!
Damned liar?

From June, 2012:

¨So we prioritized border security, putting more boots on the southern border than at any time in our history -- today, there are fewer illegal crossings than at any time in the past 40 years. We focused and used discretion about whom to prosecute, focusing on criminals who endanger our communities rather than students who are earning their education. And today, deportation of criminals is up 80 percent. We've improved on that discretion carefully and thoughtfully. Well, today, we're improving it again.¨-- Barack Hussein Obama

Now there's a ¨damned liar.¨
new yawk

New York, NY

#1165869 Jul 13, 2014
The Debils Mentally ILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweat? No. Your repulsive ways make me repelled.
You're out of "other hands" ...
I'm not your baby. Yours has 2 heads attached, remember pitsy?
Honey, I'm lying here totally naked waiting for the game of the century to start, my laptop slung from my latest invention attached to the ceiling with my big hairy stiffy pointed right at your name on the screen.. honest to God, that's what I'm doing. In about, oh, 15 minutes or so I'm going to get inspired to finish so at about.. say.. 1:15 or so I'm gonna send a bid gooey wad of splooge right at you.... you keep an eye out, hear?...

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#1165870 Jul 13, 2014
new yawk wrote:
So, again I ask... Once you stuff the place with various salt-of-the-earth baby loving types, what's supposed to happen then?
Humanity secures a glimmer of hope.
Torn Sak

East Hartford, CT

#1165871 Jul 13, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want an honest answer or just some rhetoricalhoreshit? Let me warn you. You won't like it.
Honest answers confuse liberals.
new yawk

New York, NY

#1165874 Jul 13, 2014
(just featherin' the very tip of it now....) .... uh, uh, uh, uh... ut.. uhhh.... mmmmmm.. oh god... oh god... that's it, baby... mmmm... show me some o them sicilian teeth, baby... mmmmmm... ooooooo.....
The Debils Mentally ILL

Buffalo, NY

#1165875 Jul 13, 2014
Resles Leggs wrote:
<quoted text>
Wheelchair race Today!
Down the Skyway into Delaware circle!
First one to make it to Millard Filmore gets a lollipop!
Be there!
EZ for you, just roll yourself out of The Psychiatric Ward and down the ramp ...

Assured to be first to receive the sucker reward.
Torn Sak

East Hartford, CT

#1165876 Jul 13, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a book and theory out called freakeconomics. One of the thereoms is that crime went down in the 90's because abortion became legal in 72. Those unwanted children weren't born and 20 years later diddn't grow up to become criminals
Explain that theorem to Obama and others supporting the countless unwanted children overrunning our southern border.
new yawk

New York, NY

#1165877 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
You'll be shuffling off this mortal coil ... Just follow the Sign - "This Way: Down".
As Oprah said: "They have to die". Do not deign to disagree with leader of Da One.
So, if I understand you and oprah (how many kids she got?)... you're slavin' so hard to protect the cute l'il babies so's we can gets to the end of the world quicker.... is that right, baby?... That had better NOT be your answer, sweetie...
new yawk

New York, NY

#1165878 Jul 13, 2014
Torn Sak wrote:
<quoted text>
Honest answers confuse liberals.
Only cause we're used to your usual lyin' sack of shit...

Since: Jan 11

Bordentown, NJ

#1165879 Jul 13, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! I've been asking you idiots to show me a country where your reich wing conservative ideology makes the utopian society you claim Obama is 'destroying.'
For some reason, you idiots can't.
It's as if it doesn't exist and never has!
I wonder why?
Switzerland comes close. Inspired by the American design, it's business friendly with low taxes. It is the wealthiest country in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1165880 Jul 13, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text> When did Obama say that the border was secure?
Remember this?

Flashback, Obama Mocks GOP on Border Security:‘They’ll Want a Moat’ and ‘Alligators in the Moat’

( CNSNews.com )– In a speech near the U.S.-Mexico border in El Paso, Texas on May 10, 2011, President Barack Obama noted the steps taken by his administration to strengthen border security, but said Republicans in Congress were never satisfied and mocked that they will want a “higher fence” and then “a moat,” and then “alligators in the moat.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-c...
new yawk

New York, NY

#1165881 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
EZ for you, just roll yourself out of The Psychiatric Ward and down the ramp ...
Assured to be first to receive the sucker reward.
In this parTICular case, it would appear it's you who'll be taking the prize home...

Spokane, WA

#1165882 Jul 13, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
He could make the Talk Show and Late Night circuit forever. Oprah would have him on to talk about the ins-and-outs of government. Gay shows would have him on to fashion Mom Jeans, tops and shaving equipment.
"shinningeclectr0n"
He would make a grate spokesperson for Nair, he has nary a hair on his fanny.
Peace
The Debils Mentally ILL

Buffalo, NY

#1165883 Jul 13, 2014
new yawk wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, I'm lying here totally naked waiting for the game of the century to start, my laptop slung from my latest invention attached to the ceiling with my big hairy stiffy pointed right at your name on the screen.. honest to God, that's what I'm doing. In about, oh, 15 minutes or so I'm going to get inspired to finish so at about.. say.. 1:15 or so I'm gonna send a bid gooey wad of splooge right at you.... you keep an eye out, hear?...
And Debil hits the SOP key on her computer.

When all else fails, Debil resorts to the shock factor.

Your sagging skin hanging in blubbering folds looks like a botched sex change surgery.

So ...

In this case, it's more like: "Ouick! Get a tarp. Cover that nasty flaccid "flubberious" flab"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 212,936
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 17 min Ize Found 70,439
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 26 min RJS 8,434
Word (Dec '08) 34 min PEllen 5,968
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 35 min PEllen 2,242
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 38 min PEllen 8,065
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 39 min PEllen 101,719
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages