Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1779648 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1163547 Jul 9, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense has to prevail even with good intentions. Some people forget that even with the best intentions.
But many churches feed and shelter the homeless. You simply can't criticize that..
why not, if doing so encourages more such behavior???...

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1163548 Jul 9, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
--Engraved on the bronze plaque at the Statue of Liberty
How many are you going to put up? I suspect your magnanimity extends only as far as your neighbor's door.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1163549 Jul 9, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
how about allowing employers to require proof of legal status as a condition of hiring....
as well as freedom to fire any employees found to be illegal aliens without lawsuits or unemployment benefits....
by the way, half your examples are small business franchises, not large corporations....
HUH? Employers ARE REQUIRED to "make a good faith effort to make sure that their employees are legally permitted to work in the country."

"Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants.

It is also illegal for any employer not to verify work authorization. An employer who does not correctly complete an I-9 for each employee three days after the employee is hired is also subject to criminal and civil punishment."

"Additionally, under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages."

"Illegal immigrants who seek employment often engage in identity theft in order to work in the United States. Employers are required to make a good faith effort to make sure that their employees are legally permitted to work in the country. This good faith effort includes using the Social Security Administration’s website to check if a social security number matches the employee who gave the number."

There is no law against firing someone found inelibible to work in the United States. In fact, an employer will face penalties for not doing so. As far as unemployment benefits is concerned, Section 3304(a)(14) of the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) "prohibits paying unemployment compensation to an alien whose wage credits are based on services performed while the alien was not legally entitled to employment within the United States. Lack of benefit entitlement can stem from either illegal entry or employment obtained in violation of the alien's status or residence."

Can't do anything about lawsuits. It is their constitutional right.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article...

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/dmstree/u...

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1163550 Jul 9, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
here is a news flash for you...
most Hispanics regard themselves as white, not black....and the DemoKKKrats are a black party....
as Hispanics become most financially self-sufficient, their support for the black party will diminish....
Racist.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#1163551 Jul 9, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
all part of the Obama plan to make the US just like Kenya.....
Ugh.

Deadly Anthrax Strain Potentially Infects 75 Scientists in Georgia

Jun 20, 2014

Upwards of 75 scientists working on the more dangerous and often lethal strain of anthrax at the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC) may have been exposed when the infectious samples sent to its Georgia laboratories not sufficiently equipped to handle dangerous pathogens, a spokesman for the federal health agency said Thursday....

----------
July 8, 2014 11:22 PM

Smallpox is one of the deadliest diseases known to man, killing one out of every three people. The US stopped vaccinating for smallpox after it was eradicated in 1980.

Some says there needs to be more safeguards for these dangerous illnesses.

“To just find them lying around in a lab…I mean, someone is responsible,” said Dr. Michael Zimring, Mercy Medical Center.

The only two labs authorized to house smallpox are the CDC in Atlanta and another lab in Russia.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1163553 Jul 9, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, it's the one thing I agree with - children should be served healthy food in the public schools. Except healthy food can taste good if prepared correctly and it doesn't take much to do that.
We used to eat healthy food every single day when I was in school. And it was good too.
Not sure what Michelle's idea of good healthy food is though. Seeing how much gets thrown away, she needs another menu.
the federal government, and in particular an unelected pig like Moochelle, should have no role in school lunches.....
Also Sprach

United States

#1163554 Jul 9, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Any person too inept to search the term "liberal evangelicals" is no position to make any comments about someone else being dumb.
Thought you'd know by now that Lily lives in a bubble filled with, well, whatever is on sale.

“Support Safe School Bill”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1163555 Jul 9, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Those children are refugees; the Christians should take them in to their homes and provide refuge. What's the matter with you people? All a bunch of hateful swine. Send them to Alaska, they need more people there
Feed them and send the kids back to the country of origin with a strongly worded note:

Us "swines" are repulsed by both the Drug Cartel and human trafficking.

We will not become co-conspirators with the Drug Cartel human trafficking enterprise and refuse to reward it.

We also send a strong word of warning to the parents who engaged in reckless endangerment of their children.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1163556 Jul 9, 2014
I blame the influx of children at our borders on a breakdown of our nation's integrity. This breakdown of our nation's integrity is being caused by a false feeling of being safe, both individually and as a nation. This false feeling of safety is being fostered and furthered by our government that contains elements of, and is being led by one that believes in marxism and marxist principles with the sole mission to ovewhelm our nation and it's founding principles and thus destroy it, one of which is independence, so help me god .
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1163557 Jul 9, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Please. Just stop. "You church people"? Really?
Reagan and Bush, Sr. and GW were frank about their belief in God and the preservation of all life. They didn't wear it on their sleeves but everyone knew where they stood.
And for the umpteenth time, I voted for Romney twice. It's not my fault some other "church people" felt differently.
But Romney could have won had he been more assertive in the last two debates and quicker to respond to the negative campaign ads.
Don't blame everything on imaginary "church people". A lot of "church people" supported and voted for Romney just like I did.
But it's late and Lily will be unhappy I stayed up so long. So goodnight.
the Republican party lost two Senate seats in 2012, in Missouri and Indiana, for the simple reason that the candidates were bran-dead idiots whose minds were polluted with the crap they learned in their born-again churches....

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1163558 Jul 9, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
and Obama should be impeached if he tries that....
When Congress attempts to circumvent the will of the American people, Obama has a constitutional duty to stop them.
Also Sprach

United States

#1163559 Jul 9, 2014
Why is Bush's scoffed at excuse for avoiding New Orleans immediately after Katrina now Obama's brilliant reason for avoiding the border crisis?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1163560 Jul 9, 2014
CBS NEWSJuly 9, 2014, 8:10 AM
Bodies of the undocumented found on Texas ranch

President Obama travels to Texas Wednesday to meet with Gov. Rick Perry and other local leaders about the recent spike in undocumented immigrants crossing into the country. But, as CBS News correspondent Manuel Bojorquez reports, ranchers along the border say the problem has been building for years -- with deadly consequences.

Lavoyger Durham manages a 13,000 acre ranch in Brooks County, about 100 miles from the southernmost tip of Texas. It's become a pathway for undocumented immigrants.

He showed CBS News one spot where they rest. Water bottles and clothes are scattered between the trees.

Durham said 15 to 20 people would stop there at least once a week.

He set up a water station to help prevent deaths, but in the last two weeks, he's discovered two bodies.

"Somebody lost a loved one, you know, and some family member down there, wherever it was, doesn't even know that this guy died," Durham said.

The 100-degree heat means more bodies are being found.

The deaths are tracked by the county's chief deputy, Benny Martinez.

A binder documents 37 bodies found so far this year, the youngest being that of a 19-year-old from Honduras.

"I just can't understand why we're letting this happen," Martinez said.

Though it's not on the border, Brooks County does have a federal checkpoint on a major highway. Smugglers bypass the checkpoint by making immigrants walk around it, through private ranches.

Three-hundred bodies have been found in the county since 2011.

"They're not equipped to do the journey," Martinez said. "They're told that it's quick, they're told that it's easy, and it's not. Not with this weather, not with the terrain."

The surge of men, women and children has been building in south Texas for five years. And while National Guard helicopters with infrared cameras can pinpoint a group's location, border agents can only capture so many.

"As long as this immigration reform issue doesn't have closure to it, they're going to keep coming," Martinez said.

Ranchers like Durham expect the death toll to keep rising.

2012 was the deadliest year in Brooks County, with 129 bodies recovered. Deputies say they are on track to reach at least 100 this year
Also Sprach

United States

#1163561 Jul 9, 2014
Which rock group/actor/actress will headline divine children telethon?

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1163562 Jul 9, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama has had 13 unanimous SCOTUS decisions against him for abuse of power.
There is no more options left except to cut off the money.
That has already been proven to be a lie. Try to keep up. Eight of those SCOTUS decisions attributed to Obama were against Bushy Boy and others had nothing to do with the Executive Branch.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1163563 Jul 9, 2014
Donnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't they come via ships and had visa/passports in hand they never took a dime from our government worked their individual asses off to be productive members of our country, learned English did everything humanly possible to respect our laws and be constructive members of our communities?
Many were sent back after reaching Ellis Island for various and numerous reasons - not having anyone here to take them in and health problems were two of them.

America still stands by the saying on the Statue of Liberty. It just has to be done legally.

How can we support and place over 52,000 children with no parents? And more coming?

The cities where they are willy nilly being dumped by Obama's buses are scrambling just to find somewhere to put them. Murietta only had a jail to provide enough space for all of them.

It's one thing to show compassion. But it's a logistical problem on many levels. Pelosi and liberals can't comprehend the logistical problems.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1163564 Jul 9, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>Elizabeth Warren is going to be your nominee.
Great to know that the Democratic party has two potential presidental candidates that can beat the pants off of anyone the GOP has in the wings.
Nostrilis

Simsbury, CT

#1163565 Jul 9, 2014
Costco will never get my business as their co-founder is a huge Obama supporter. I did not renew Costco and am glad.

I have memberships to two other places including Sam's Club.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/costco-denies-poli...

"Seven Reasons Why I Chose Sam’s Club Over Costco"

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/seven-reasons-...
Donnie

United States

#1163566 Jul 9, 2014
Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin(D) was sentenced Wednesday to 120 months in prison. U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan also ordered Nagin to pay $84,000 in restitution. "What Ray Nagin did was sell his office over and over again," lead prosecutor Matt Coman said after the sentencing. "The damage that C. Ray Nagin inflicted on this community ... is incalculable." He will report to a minimum security prison in September.

Nagin, 58, was convicted on Feb. 12 of accepting more than $500,000 worth of bribes and free trips from contractors in exchange for helping them clinch millions of dollars in city work when he was mayor of New Orleans, both pre- and post-Hurricane Katrina. He was found guilty of 20 out of 21 counts in the indictment. Nagin, a Democrat who was mayor for two terms from 2002 to 2010, denied he took any bribes.

Former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin arrives at the federal courthouse in downtown New Orleans for his sentencing on July 9.

==========
Another good democrat bites the dust....
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1163567 Jul 9, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
How many are you going to put up? I suspect your magnanimity extends only as far as your neighbor's door.
I don't profess to be a hypocrite Christian; that's the difference. I am more than thrilled that my stupid redneck neighbor is now staying in his house and backyard with this pitbull dog cause he finally go the word from the popo. Next time, he goes to the big house.

I think those children should be sent back; the President of Honduras blames the problem on lax drug laws since the US is the largest consumer of illicit drugs. I say, give them aid so that they can stay and work in their own countries; it's a better solution. Australia began paying people to return to their countries; an interesting concept. I feel sorry for those children that have been used by their parents to make that dangerous trek here based on false premises. Most leaders in Latin countries are totally corrupt. Send them back, what will they do here? Who will take care of them? Sounds like a total nightmare to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr MPMMB 12,406
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr qz-zq 243,568
If only Hillary had won. 3 hr Spineless Bytch 58
Maddow exposed, Fusion paid her for fake news s... 3 hr Thigh Spreading T... 20
Booby DeNiro guarantees Donald's 2020 election ... 3 hr Dwarf sized BOOB 11
News Slowik: Blue Island mayor faces intense critici... 3 hr Bodine 31
Murder 4 hr Marked 8

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages