Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1703801 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152627 Jun 18, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The VA for everyone.
I'll worry about insurance companies when they can pass laws and tax people.
You mean like how Monsanto can run around the country suing people by using their own private police force to enforce their IP?

We're past that point now.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152628 Jun 18, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
When exactly did they become "botched", as you put it? I'll tell you - After Obama became President. A triple slap in America's face.
Welll first off, it's clear that bushie boy lied to get the opportunity to kill our troops and those of many other nations.

That wasn't a slap to America's face. It was a stab at the heart.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1152629 Jun 18, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Insurance premium:$900
With subsidy the purchaser pays $600 (example only)
The Government pays $300
Without the subsidy, the purchaser pays $900.
So, if it is determined that there should not be a subsidy, then yes the buyer owes the government money.
Who did you think owed that money?
The point, Dave, is the insurance companies get to keep the money regardless. Why do they get to keep the money?

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1152630 Jun 18, 2014
Seems Sunni Islamist insurgents fighting in Iraq are planning to attack Britain.

Prime Minister Cameron has ruled out any military involvement. But will send an "operational liaison and reconnaissance team" to Baghdad.

Iran has vowed to defend Shiite holy sites in Iraq. But we're depending on Iran to help us out in Iraq.

The nuclear inspections agreement with Iran was scheduled to take place this month. But hasn't been done yet to my knowledge.

Just trying to sort this all out. It'd be easier to figure out 'who's on first?'.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Hamden, CT

#1152631 Jun 18, 2014
Yeah wrote:
Gee whiz.
Now that Obama's apprehended a Benghazi suspect, where are the reich wingers to do their happy cheer?
You know, "Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi!"
Really Commie Boy? Obama apprehended him? Is he going to go out and pat himself on the back now just like when the boy president did when "he" got Bin Laden?

Gee Commie, I thought Al Qaeda was decimated. Isn't that what your Capitalist boy president told everyone?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1152632 Jun 18, 2014
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) blasted former Vice President Dick Cheney on the Senate floor Wednesday for penning an op-ed that torched the Obama administration's handling of Iraq.

"If there is one thing that this country does not need, it's that we should be taking advice from Dick Cheney on wars," Reid said. "Being on the wrong side of Dick Cheney is to be on the right side of history."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/harry-r...

Since: May 11

Carlisle, PA

#1152633 Jun 18, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> So I guess that is why even the democrats want to get rid of it? God I wish you would learn to read!!!!!!
Vermont's Single-Payer Dream Is Taxpayer Nightmare
Megan McArdle
3326 APR 11, 2014 11:52 AM EDT
By Megan McArdle
a A
(Corrects quoted text in third paragraph.)
Of the plans that states have hatched for the Affordable Care Act, none has been bolder than that of Vermont, which wants to implement a single-payer health-care system, along the lines of what you might find in Britain or Canada. One government-operated system will cover all 620,000 of Vermont’s citizens. The hope is that such a system will allow Vermont to get costs down closer to Canada’s, as well as improve health by coordinating care and ensuring universal coverage.
Just two small issues need to be resolved before the state gets to all systems go: First, it needs the federal government to grant waivers allowing Vermont to divert Medicaid and other health-care funding into the single-payer system. And second, Vermont needs to find some way to pay for it:
Now comes the big challenge: paying for it. Act 48 required Vermont to create a single-payer system by 2017. But the state hasn’t drafted a bill that spells out how to raise the approximately $2 billion a year Vermont needs to run the system. The state collects only $2.7 billion in tax revenue each year, so an additional $2 billion is a vexingly large sum to scrape together.
Vermont is a middling-tax state, as states go. And that’s not an accident; its population consists of longtime Vermonters, some of whom vote Republican (at least for governor) and are not super-tax-friendly, and transplants from Massachusetts and New York state, who, last time I looked, had moved to Vermont partly because the taxes were lower. Paying for this program would likely make Vermont the highest-taxed state in the nation, by quite a lot.
Now, you can argue that people should be glad to make this trade-off, not just for peace of mind, but because they will trade higher taxes for lower (no) insurance premiums. You can also argue that poor people in America should be laughing and dancing and singing all day because every one of them is economically better off than starving farmers in drought-ridden regions of Africa. Neither argument will do you much good, however, because that’s not how people think.
Especially when you consider that estimates for this plan's cost are likely to err on the optimistic side, because, well, people drawing up proposed budgets for their pet ideas tend to be a little optimistic. Yes, yes, there may be fabulous cost savings from using the government’s monopoly buying power to bargain prices down with providers. But Vermont is already the beneficiary of significant monopoly buying power: One insurer has 74 percent of the state’s small-group business. It’s a Blue Cross/Blue Shield, so don’t count on fabulous savings from squeezing out profits. The large group market is even more concentrated, though on a for-profit insurer.
Nor can you get much administrative saving at the provider level, because they still have to deal with out-of-state insurers quite a bit. And the once-vaunted fabulous savings from preventative care have mostly turned out not to exist.
So this is going to be expensive. So expensive that I doubt Vermont is actually going to go forward with it.
Translation. Yes studies show that single payer will save money but but but but maybe in the future it might not?

The author of your article assumes those that did the studies couldn't possibly have considered what she talked about.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1152634 Jun 18, 2014
Homer wrote:
Should be interesting when Hillary is president. Are we going to keep this thread going or move on to a Hillary thread?
As a public service we must continue to keep these right wing morons busy whining at their computers and away from the public.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1152635 Jun 18, 2014
Glenn Beck is admitting he was wrong and liberals were right for opposing the invasion of Iraq.

“[Liberals] said we couldn’t force freedom on people,” Beck said at the start of his Tuesday radio show.“Let me lead with my mistakes. You were right. Liberals, you were right, we shouldn’t have.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/glenn-b...
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Hamden, CT

#1152636 Jun 18, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation. Yes studies show that single payer will save money but but but but maybe in the future it might not?
The author of your article assumes those that did the studies couldn't possibly have considered what she talked about.
Tanslation:

I have no fcking clue what I'm talking about because I can't understand what I read.

Since: Jan 11

Hackettstown, NJ

#1152637 Jun 18, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>You mean like how Monsanto can run around the country suing people by using their own private police force to enforce their IP?
We're past that point now.
Are you talking about patent infringements? What does that have to do with anything?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152638 Jun 18, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish you would entertain the idea of saying that to jihadist Muslims rather than the poster, Last Days Are Here.
By the way, how do you feel exactly about jihadist Muslims?
(Would just like to know what page you're on.)
lol! Ignoring history I see.

SNAFU!!!
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152639 Jun 18, 2014
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Really Commie Boy? Obama apprehended him? Is he going to go out and pat himself on the back now just like when the boy president did when "he" got Bin Laden?
Gee Commie, I thought Al Qaeda was decimated. Isn't that what your Capitalist boy president told everyone?
So... you're saying the Benghazi suspect represents American reich wing democracy?

I'll buy that!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1152640 Jun 18, 2014
Benghazi Ringleader Ahmed Abu Khattala Claims Attack Was About the Anti-Islam Video

To listen to conservatives, the attack on Benghazi was meticulously coordinated, planned, and orchestrated with surgical precision, while the State Department, working carefully with the Muslim Brotherhood/Al-Qaeda/The Taliban/”they’re all the same, okay?”, stood by and did nothing in an attack that killed four American citizens. It’s also one of the worst attacks on America in the History of Dick Cheney’s memory. This was followed by a transparent coverup that’s worthy of impeachment.

But if you listen to one of the people who were behind the attack — in fact, if you listen to the ringleader himself — you get a different story. Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured by US personnel Sunday in response to an indictment for murder in connection with his role as the suspected ringleader in the Benghazi attacks. According to the New York Times, Khattala told the Libyans the night of the attack “that he was moved to attack the diplomatic mission to take revenge for an insult to Islam in an American-made online video.”

Conservatives in general, but FOX and the Tea Party in particular, have said numerous times that the talking points the administration gave shortly after the attacks were obscuring the real cause of the terror attacks, and being used to bolster Obama during an election year.

According to Media Matters,“The Times article is consistent with media reports from the scene of the attack that suggested the anti-Islam video had been a motive for at least some of the attackers. That video triggered anti-American protests across the Muslim world.”

The conservatives screaming about #Benghazi were wrong. Imagine that. Do you think they’ll stop wasting millions of tax dollars on witch hunts, now?

http://aattp.org/benghazi-ringleader-ahmed-ab...

Location hidden

#1152641 Jun 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Demthugs have to lie in order to pass Obamacare and win reelections.
"Majority Of Americans Think Obama Is Not Honest Or Trustworthy: Poll "
The poll also found that 53 percent of those polled said Obama is not honest or trustworthy, marking the first time that the CNN/ORC polling found a clear majority questioning the president's integrity, CNN said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/obam...
You are an idiot and a hypocrite.
What about all the socks on your side, slimeball?
There's a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll out today.

A majority of respondents – 54 percent – believe the term-limited president is no longer able to lead the country.

Just 37 percent approve of his handling of foreign policy, an all-time low, while 57 percent disapprove, an all-time high.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/nb...

The Democrats once had a substantial lead in the polls. But the same poll says 45 percent prefer a Democratic-controlled Congress while 43 percent want a GOP-held one.

That 2% lead has shrunk considerably.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152642 Jun 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Tanslation:
I have no fcking clue what I'm talking about because I can't understand what I read.
lol! That would be you son.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1152643 Jun 18, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll out today.
A majority of respondents – 54 percent – believe the term-limited president is no longer able to lead the country.
Just 37 percent approve of his handling of foreign policy, an all-time low, while 57 percent disapprove, an all-time high.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/nb...
The Democrats once had a substantial lead in the polls. But the same poll says 45 percent prefer a Democratic-controlled Congress while 43 percent want a GOP-held one.
That 2% lead has shrunk considerably.
So.... you don't want to discuss the Church anymore son?

You prefer to be blind by choice?

I see you can't follow your own advice.

Since: May 11

Carlisle, PA

#1152644 Jun 18, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> The point, Dave, is the insurance companies get to keep the money regardless. Why do they get to keep the money?
Because they supplied a $900 product?

Shouldn't they get paid $900?

Location hidden

#1152645 Jun 18, 2014
ISIS has confiscated America's military equipment abandoned by brave Iraqis who have now been executed - around 2000 so far - and hauling our tanks, vehicles, and weapons, etc., back to Syria in the middle of the desert. Hidden in plain sight.

Wouldn't this caravan in the desert be easy pickins' for an air strike?

Maybe this president thinks it's a parade.

Location hidden

#1152646 Jun 18, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>So.... you don't want to discuss the Church anymore son?
You prefer to be blind by choice?
I see you can't follow your own advice.
Are you referring to your inaccurate post last night about Hitler and the church? Which you brought it up? And of which I only had to do a little bit of research to clear up any confusion on your part?

There's nothing more to say. Unless you're still confused.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 31 min honeymylove 11,934
TEACHER of year at FL. middle school posts mess... 1 hr GUNS not at FAULT 1
Trump is A 3 hr Heavy dude 458
Hillary's boys helped Steele write dossier. 4 hr LUCKY NO Hillary 8
Yes, They Really Hate You. 4 hr UR Rulers Hate U 5
2 bad these 2 didn't have a backup PLAN. 4 hr 2 LEFTYS CAUGHT 9
maxine waters 4 hr HERpussyStinks 16

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance