Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1658343 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Patriot

Longmont, CO

#1143802 May 31, 2014
Say No to Internet Censorship

Leaders from 12 countries are about to lock into place binding Internet censorship rules through an agreement called the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP).

Leaked documents reveal that the TPP will make the Internet more censored, expensive, and policed.1

Experts say,“kids could be sent to jail for downloading” and whole families could be kicked off the Internet.2

Send TPP decision makers these three demands now by filling out the form on this page before it's too late.

https://openmedia.org/censorship
Nostrilis Waxman

Simsbury, CT

#1143803 May 31, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The recession started 4th quarter of 2007. Please list the legislation the Democrats passed in the first 9 months of 2007 that created this recession.
The recession started after nearly 7 years of the Bush Administration and after 12 years of basic Republican Congresses.
The Great Recession(also referred to as the Second Great Depression and or the global recession of 2009) was a global economic decline in the late 2000s decade.

It is related to a liquidity crisis, commonly being dated to have started when several central banks had to step in with liquidity lending to the interbank lending market on 9 August 2007

When the bubble began to deflate in mid-2007, the low quality and high risk loans engendered by government policies failed in unprecedented numbers. The effect of these defaults was exacerbated by the fact that few if any investors—including housing market analysts—understood at the time that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had been acquiring large numbers of subprime and other high risk loans in order to meet HUD’s affordable housing goals." His dissent relied heavily on the research of fellow AEI member Edward Pinto, the former Chief Credit Officer of Fannie Mae. Pinto estimated that by early 2008 there were 27 million higher-risk, "non-traditional" mortgages (defined as subprime and Alt-A) outstanding valued at $4.6 trillion. Of these, Fannie & Freddie held or guaranteed 12 million mortgages valued at $1.8 trillion. Government entities held or guaranteed 19.2 million or $2.7 trillion of such mortgages total.

----------

Democrats were WARNED of Financial crisis and did NOTHING s early as 2001

Now run along, Obama Lap Dog.
Nostrilis Waxman

Simsbury, CT

#1143804 May 31, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, sometimes old Mitt kinda gets forgotten amongst the many hypocrites on the right. Thank goodness that phony was rejected. The Republicans always rely on fear and lies.The Bush Administration was filled with 'CHICKENHAWKS", yet they all pretended to be soooo tough.
A picture is worth a thousand words, dolt:

http://jerseynut.blogspot.com/2011/05/young-o...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1143805 May 31, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
it sure is.

https://www.google.com/search...
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1143806 May 31, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hatred and bigotry are only exceeded by your gross ignorance.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1143808 May 31, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
it sure is.
https://www.google.com/search...
Thanks Sonic, Cheney is a despicable lowlife A snarly lying coward. I suspect similar to Waxballs. Yet all these morons on the right pretend to suddenly love all of us Veterans. Phony cretins.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1143809 May 31, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
if the Government knocked on your door and told you that you had to register your gun, how would you feel about that?
I'd tell them to go pound sand!
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1143810 May 31, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I'd tell them to go pound sand!
How about if they told you that you needed an ID card in order to vote? soo you still play in your sand box?

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1143811 May 31, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I look up "clueless" in the dictionary, will I find your picture?
No, you'll find yours
Nostrilis Waxman

Miami, FL

#1143812 May 31, 2014
Get ready for my obsession with Ghost and judgits. I am a lame frustrated angry teabager. Judgits are coming!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1143813 May 31, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I'd tell them to go pound sand!
If you were part of the well REGULATED Militia your gun had to be registered.

traitor. British agent no doubt.

Location hidden

#1143814 May 31, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely correct the whole thing could have been prevented. However in order to be fair the Bush Administration failed to articulate to Congress and the general public the seriousness of the situation. Therefore no preventative action was taken. This was a failure to communicate politically. The whole situation disgusts me because we can all be brought to our knees very quickly when Financial Institutions and Wall Street are unchecked
The whole thing could have been prevented if Clinton never allowed the government to buy sub prime loans.

It seems Bush advised congress on Fannie/Freddie but the Democrats ignored it and blocked any reform…

Setting the Record Straight: Six Years of Unheeded Warnings for GSE Reform
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/ne...
Tiny Johnson

Atlanta, GA

#1143815 May 31, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't know we were exclusive. Wouldn't that be boring?
Yes... yes it would... hoist on my own less than nimble petard am I?... You gave that answer some serious thought though... I can still smell oil burning...
Tiny Johnson

Atlanta, GA

#1143816 May 31, 2014
scirocco wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you'll find yours
Oh, well now THAT makes a lot of sense...
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1143817 May 31, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
Get ready for my obsession with Ghost and judgits. I am a lame frustrated angry teabager. Judgits are coming!!
Gosh I don't know why you don't like me, I'm loved by all. I think you are basically a insecure wimpie kinda guy.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1143818 May 31, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The bad weather happens to be a fact.
Just as the fact that Bush policiers nearly drove us over the cliff.
David Lykken: How much does the weather really affect the economy?
feed
inShare
by MPA | May 21, 2014
By David Lykken
Special to MPA

This past winter was one of the coldest and most miserable ones on record. It seems like everyone I know is still talking about how long the winter seemed to last and how comforting it is that spring is finally here.

For GDP growth, Quarter 1 came in this year at a really big disappointment--an entire percentage point off from expectations. Many people point to the harsh winter and assume that it is to blame for the poor growth. How much truth is there to that?

I recently got a chance to sit down and talk to the MBA's new chief economist, Michael Fratantoni. Apparently, the news isn't quite as bad as we might think. While overall GDP only came in at 0.1%, the most important indicator--consumer spending--was still climbing at rate of 3% annually. The real culprit, Fratantoni says, was net imports and exports--and he expects those to reverse going into the rest of the year.

The bottom line: weather doesn't really keep us from shopping as much as we think it does. Sure, we slow down a bit when it colds cold. Maybe we don't get out and about quite as much. But, in the end, we're still spending money. If we have more long winters like this last one on the horizon, that is certainly good news for lenders. Mother Nature, it seems, can't rival the determination of the consumer.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1143819 May 31, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The recession started 4th quarter of 2007. Please list the legislation the Democrats passed in the first 9 months of 2007 that created this recession.
The recession started after nearly 7 years of the Bush Administration and after 12 years of basic Republican Congresses.
Records Set on Obama's Watch

1. U.S. sovereign debt downgrade: first in American history.

2. Federal spending (25% of GDP): highest since WWII.

3. Budget deficit (10% of GDP): highest since WWII.

4. Federal debt (67% of GDP): highest since just after WWII.

5. Employment (58.1% of population working): lowest since 1983.

6. Long-term unemployment (45.9% of total): highest since 1930's.

7. Increase in nonfarm payroll employment (0.5%) since recovery began 26 month ago: slowest job growth 26 months after a severe recession since WWII.

8. Home ownership rate (59.7%): lowest since 1965.

9. Percentage of taxpayers paying Income Tax (49%): lowest in modern era.

10. Government dependency (47%), defined as the percentage of persons receiving one or more federal benefit payments: highest in American history.

Location hidden

#1143820 May 31, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you still trying to sell that idiotic crap Carol? Fannie and Freddie had very little if anything to do with the recession caused by the implosion of the housing market.
FACT: Republicans were in charge of both houses of Congress and the White House when the housing bubble ballooned beyond sustainability.
FACT: It was unregulated mortgage brokers who made the toxic loans that infected the whole system.
FACT: It was the Republicans who refused to regulate the market in mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps.
But go ahead Carol, keep demonstrating as you do on a daily basis that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
If Fannie and Freddie did not purchase those toxic loans the government would never had been responsible to bail anyone out and they would have never sold them without that backing.

Grow up.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1143821 May 31, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
One quarter isn't a trend you clueless twit!
Last quarter's drop was largely due to businesses boosting inventories more slowly after aggressively adding to them late last year.
Adverse winter weather also contributed to the contracting economy. Non-residential construction plunged 7.5%, vs. the 0.2% gain initially estimated.
And state and local government spending fell 1.8%, vs. an initial estimate of 1.3%.
"For those worried about a recession, it's worth remembering that employment increased by nearly 300,000 in April," economist Paul Ashworth of Capital Economics said in a research note. "Those numbers point to a recovery gathering some real momentum at last."
Economists expect growth to accelerate this year now that consumers have shed much of the debt they amassed in the mid-2000's, and federal government spending cuts have eased. The housing recovery, meanwhile, is expected to regain momentum after faltering in the first quarter.
Jim O'Sullivan, chief U.S. economist of High Frequency Economics, predicts economic growth will run at a 4% annual pace in the current quarter as businesses and consumers make up for reduced spending early this year. Many economists expect growth to exceed 3% the rest of this year and in 2015.
You're an idiot!
Are these the same experts that 'unexpected' get things wrong all the time?

Location hidden

#1143822 May 31, 2014
Tiny Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, well now THAT makes a lot of sense...
Glad you agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 min joey 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 35 min loose cannon 243,094
Trump is A 2 hr USAsince1680 179
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Freddie 11,583
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr Breezy _Soul 3,732
Trillions in Debt 3 hr Komrad 1
Steal from Poor to pay the Rich 4 hr Hard Cask 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages