Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1745963 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1142609 May 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's just say then that my eyes see the striking similarities - just going by this comparison photo of the three men.
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
But, just of note, in "Dreams of My Father", Obama wrote about his parents: "How and when the marriage occurred remains a bit murky."
The fact that Obama, Sr., already had a wife and family in Kenya and left for Harvard soon after Obama was born only to see him once when he was 10 years old doesn't point to much of a father figure.
And the problem for a lot of us is that a lot of things in his past remain a bit murky.
LOL. You are really easily brainwashed. Here is a picture of the president and his father, Barack Obama, Sr. Notice the resemblance?

http://www.history.com/photos/barack-obama/ph...

Now look at these two pictures of the president and Frank Marshal Davis...no resemblance. None.

http://www.reformation.org/frank-marshall-dav...

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1142610 May 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
For the past 30 years, the Second Amendment has been defined by the most radical elements of the gun-rights movement. They argue not only that the Second Amendment guarantees individuals the right to own guns—a view that represents, in my view, the best understanding of our history and tradition—but, more importantly, that nearly any restriction on the manufacture, ownership, or use of firearms infringes this sacred right.
This radical vision of the Second Amendment is remarkable mainly for having so little basis in Supreme Court case law, the text of the Constitution, and American history.

Indeed, Scalia’s opinion in Heller warned that “nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast
but hey, maybe you can resort to the dead horse of citing fake founder's quotes.
it's the only response i ever get. nutjob has nothing else. facts are not it's friend.

Maya Angelou tells Time about owning, shooting a firearm
April 07, 2013|John Kass

I know why the caged bird shoots.

Because some creep is at the door, turning the knob. And she's alone and rightfully afraid. But she has a gun in her hand.

And thanks to the Second Amendment that many on the political left would like to erase and rewrite — by using horrific tragedies like Sandy Hook to wipe the Constitution of irritants — Maya Angelou was able to defend herself.

That's right. She defended herself with a firearm.

Maya Angelou got her gun. And now that she's talked about it, she teaches us a lesson about making assumptions.

Angelou, the literary icon and famed poet and "Star Trek" fan, told Time magazine in a recent interview that she likes having guns around. Her comments must have been the last thing that gun controllers wanted to see.

TIME: Your mother, she was your protector. She often carried a gun, she seemed very fond of guns. Did you inherit your mother's fondness for guns?

ANGELOU: Well, I do like to have guns around. I don't like to carry them. But if somebody is going to come into my house, and I have not put out the welcome mat, I want to stop them.

TIME: Have you ever fired a weapon?

ANGELOU: Of course!

TIME: At a person?

ANGELOU: I've fired it period, not at a person I hope. I was in my house in North Carolina. It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves. And somebody actually turned the knob, so I said,'Stand four feet back because I'm going to shoot now!' BOOM! BOOM! The police came by and said,'Ms. Angelou, the shots came from inside the house.' I said,'Well, I don't know how that happened.'"

I loved the way she told the story. Particularly the sounds she used, like the leaves. The leaves were an awfully nice touch, weren't they? "It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves...." You could hear them crunch under the predator's feet. And then the silence when the feet stopped moving there at the door and the knob turned.

Angelou couldn't tell if the lurker was armed with a firearm or perhaps had another weapon, a hammer, say, or just fists. But the poet had what she needed to counter what she thought was coming for her.

Shooting blind through a closed door is a terribly dangerous thing to do, potentially deadly, perhaps murderous in the hands of the right prosecutor.

It is the act of a student of the Shotgun Joe Biden Firearms Safety Academy, or a person driven out of her wits by panic.

I think it's fair to say that she was frightened. Angelou had been the victim of violence as a girl. And former victim or not, who wouldn't be afraid?
USAprior2008

Palm Coast, FL

#1142611 May 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. You are really easily brainwashed. Here is a picture of the president and his father, Barack Obama, Sr. Notice the resemblance?
Now look at these two pictures of the president and Frank Marshal Davis...no resemblance. None.
Obama couldn't be the son of Davis; that would mean he was born in Hawaii.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1142612 May 28, 2014
Loretta Lopez wrote:
It appears that Obama had a hissy fit yesterday when asked a REAL question:
Irritated Obama scolds reporter for asking real question then huffs off
May 28, 2014
The commander-in-chief was downright grumpy Tuesday, but who can blame him? He was trying to create a perfect photo-op at the White House Science Fair when some pesky reporter for Real Clear Politics asked him a question about the White House’s approach to Syria’s civil war, according to Breitbart.
Who let that nosy broad
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/05/28/irrita...
LOL. "According to Breitbart"...translation: Sensationalized nonsense.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1142613 May 28, 2014
An overwhelming majority of Americans reject Karl Rove's attempt to scandalize Hillary Clinton's health and age, according to a new poll.

Rove has suggested in several appearances this month that Clinton's age and health should be major issues if she chooses to run for president, baselessly speculating that a concussion she suffered in December 2012 could have long-term repercussions. Rove's smears were echoed by his Fox News colleagues and others in the conservative media but termed a "lie" and "dirty tricks" elsewhere.

According to polling released today by ABC News and the Washington Post, 66 percent of Americans disapprove of Rove's attack, "including 46 percent of Republicans and 43 percent of strong conservatives."

Rove's former colleagues in the Bush administration have termed his comments a deliberate effort to start a conversation that damages Clinton. That effort isn't working.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/05/28/ameri...
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Hamden, CT

#1142614 May 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
No.

+1 for Davis
Patrick

United States

#1142615 May 28, 2014
Interesting

Barack Obama will outline his vision for a new chapter in American foreign policy on Wednesday with a speech aimed at quelling growing criticism of US isolationism following troop withdrawals from Iraq and Afghanistan and recent decisions against military intervention elsewhere.

In an address to graduating officers at West Point that White House officials say will map out America's new role in the world, the president is expected to argue there is a middle way between interventionism and isolationism that will not drag the US into unnecessary conflicts in future.

“This new chapter in American foreign policy will allow us to redirect some of the resources saved by ending these wars to respond more nimbly to the changing threat of terrorism, while addressing a broader set of priorities around the globe,” Obama told reporters on Tuesday after announcing his troop withdrawal timetable for Afghanistan.

Secretary of State John Kerry said on ABC's Good Morning America that Obama would use the speech at the United States Military Academy in New York to announce the US is setting up a $5bn "terrorism partnership fund" for countries to fight extremists.

The administration was anxious to get the Afghanistan announcement out of the way first so Obama could attempt to address wider criticism that his foreign policy has lost its way following recent events in Syria and Ukraine.

“He will speak to the much broader question both of how we’re dealing with the counter-terrorism challenge across this entire region, and also how are we using US leadership to advance our interests around the world,” said a senior administration official in a background briefing to reporters.

Opinion polls suggest Obama's campaign promise to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan remains popular among the US public, but his last-minute decision to eschew military intervention in Syria and apparent impotence in the face of Russian aggression in Crimea are giving growing ammunition to conservative critics who say US deterrence has lost credibility and will herald a new era of instability in the world.

“What we are facing is not war weariness, but world weariness,” historian Robert Kagan told a Brookings Institution policy debate held on the eve of Obama's speech.“I have begun to wonder whether we may be heading into a period that is not just a shallow and temporary retrenchment that we saw during the cold war [immediately after Vietnam and Korea] but is actually a much deeper and much longer retrenchment of the kind we saw after World War I.”

Some prominent Republicans, such as libertarian-leaning senator Rand Paul, have welcomed such developments, but recently more moderate party leaders, including Bob Corker, ranking member of the Senate foreign affairs committee, have begun to advance a critique of US “weakness” that Democrats fear could be used against them in the midterm elections.

Corker issued a cautious statement in response to the Afghan troop announcement on Tuesday, urging a rethink before full US departure.

“It is my strong desire that the administration revisit conditions on the ground in 2015 and 2016 to determine if a full withdrawal is warranted,” he said.

Others, such as senators John McCain and Lindsay Graham, are more hawkish still, but largely at odds with the party in their desire to see robust intervention in Syria and an aggressive response to Russian president Vladimir Putin.
No Surprize

Largo, FL

#1142616 May 28, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text> Yet another dumbass whiner who thinks the VA system is like the ACA.
It's the culture...

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1142617 May 28, 2014
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous, you only wish you were worth that much? Typical Republican who probably gives away more in a year, than you and everyone in your neighborhood make on welfare? Give it up, if it weren't for Republicans paying taxes, moochers such as you, would be panhandling? By the way, which agency is paying your internet bill now?
People who feel a need to lie and make up stories about other people because they have no valid argument left are called...Republicans on welfare.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1142618 May 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson/right wing invention. i think there must a right wing chain email that's full of them. flack was going down the list yesterday. he wasn't very happy that i knew better. called me a moran. then i had to point out that moran was how morons spelled moron. then he finally shut up.
i'm up for a go at getting you to shut up. ready to rumble? go put your big boy pants on, tell mama you'll try to stay out of harm's way, and then get back here for your spanking.
I haven't posted any fake quotes. You are rambling and ranting this morning more than you normally do. Drug problem?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1142619 May 28, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>
Maya Angelou tells Time about owning, shooting a firearm
April 07, 2013|John Kass
I know why the caged bird shoots.
Because some creep is at the door, turning the knob. And she's alone and rightfully afraid. But she has a gun in her hand.
And thanks to the Second Amendment that many on the political left would like to erase and rewrite — by using horrific tragedies like Sandy Hook to wipe the Constitution of irritants — Maya Angelou was able to defend herself.
That's right. She defended herself with a firearm.
Maya Angelou got her gun. And now that she's talked about it, she teaches us a lesson about making assumptions.
Angelou, the literary icon and famed poet and "Star Trek" fan, told Time magazine in a recent interview that she likes having guns around. Her comments must have been the last thing that gun controllers wanted to see.
TIME: Your mother, she was your protector. She often carried a gun, she seemed very fond of guns. Did you inherit your mother's fondness for guns?
ANGELOU: Well, I do like to have guns around. I don't like to carry them. But if somebody is going to come into my house, and I have not put out the welcome mat, I want to stop them.
TIME: Have you ever fired a weapon?
ANGELOU: Of course!
TIME: At a person?
ANGELOU: I've fired it period, not at a person I hope. I was in my house in North Carolina. It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves. And somebody actually turned the knob, so I said,'Stand four feet back because I'm going to shoot now!' BOOM! BOOM! The police came by and said,'Ms. Angelou, the shots came from inside the house.' I said,'Well, I don't know how that happened.'"
I loved the way she told the story. Particularly the sounds she used, like the leaves. The leaves were an awfully nice touch, weren't they? "It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves...." You could hear them crunch under the predator's feet. And then the silence when the feet stopped moving there at the door and the knob turned.
Angelou couldn't tell if the lurker was armed with a firearm or perhaps had another weapon, a hammer, say, or just fists. But the poet had what she needed to counter what she thought was coming for her.
Shooting blind through a closed door is a terribly dangerous thing to do, potentially deadly, perhaps murderous in the hands of the right prosecutor.
It is the act of a student of the Shotgun Joe Biden Firearms Safety Academy, or a person driven out of her wits by panic.
I think it's fair to say that she was frightened. Angelou had been the victim of violence as a girl. And former victim or not, who wouldn't be afraid?
if it can be limited, much as it already is, why would anyone need to erase it?

but let's talk about fake founder's quotes and rewriting, shall we?

Lapeer, MI

#1142620 May 28, 2014
Patrick wrote:
Interesting
Barack Obama will outline his vision for a new chapter in American foreign policy on Wednesday with a speech aimed at quelling growing criticism of US isolationism following troop withdrawals from Iraq and Afghanistan and recent decisions against military intervention elsewhere.
In an address to graduating officers at West Point that White House officials say will map out America's new role in the world, the president is expected to argue there is a middle way between interventionism and isolationism that will not drag the US into unnecessary conflicts in future.
“This new chapter in American foreign policy will allow us to redirect some of the resources saved by ending these wars to respond more nimbly to the changing threat of terrorism, while addressing a broader set of priorities around the globe,” Obama told reporters on Tuesday after announcing his troop withdrawal timetable for Afghanistan.
Secretary of State John Kerry said on ABC's Good Morning America that Obama would use the speech at the United States Military Academy in New York to announce the US is setting up a $5bn "terrorism partnership fund" for countries to fight extremists.
The administration was anxious to get the Afghanistan announcement out of the way first so Obama could attempt to address wider criticism that his foreign policy has lost its way following recent events in Syria and Ukraine.
“He will speak to the much broader question both of how we’re dealing with the counter-terrorism challenge across this entire region, and also how are we using US leadership to advance our interests around the world,” said a senior administration official in a background briefing to reporters.
Opinion polls suggest Obama's campaign promise to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan remains popular among the US public, but his last-minute decision to eschew military intervention in Syria and apparent impotence in the face of Russian aggression in Crimea are giving growing ammunition to conservative critics who say US deterrence has lost credibility and will herald a new era of instability in the world.
“What we are facing is not war weariness, but world weariness,” historian Robert Kagan told a Brookings Institution policy debate held on the eve of Obama's speech.“I have begun to wonder whether we may be heading into a period that is not just a shallow and temporary retrenchment that we saw during the cold war [immediately after Vietnam and Korea] but is actually a much deeper and much longer retrenchment of the kind we saw after World War I.”
Some prominent Republicans, such as libertarian-leaning senator Rand Paul, have welcomed such developments, but recently more moderate party leaders, including Bob Corker, ranking member of the Senate foreign affairs committee, have begun to advance a critique of US “weakness” that Democrats fear could be used against them in the midterm elections.
Corker issued a cautious statement in response to the Afghan troop announcement on Tuesday, urging a rethink before full US departure.
“It is my strong desire that the administration revisit conditions on the ground in 2015 and 2016 to determine if a full withdrawal is warranted,” he said.
Others, such as senators John McCain and Lindsay Graham, are more hawkish still, but largely at odds with the party in their desire to see robust intervention in Syria and an aggressive response to Russian president Vladimir Putin.
The little boy in the big pants is selling Snake Oil once again. His failures and lies in Libya are going to become material for comedians at West Point in the years to come.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1142621 May 28, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't posted any fake quotes. You are rambling and ranting this morning more than you normally do. Drug problem?
lack of maybe. hold on, i'll be right back. but i'm sure that before i get back you'll post something that's fake.

(does no one on this thread have a sense of humor? i brought the toys, so let's play!)

Lapeer, MI

#1142622 May 28, 2014
Memorial Day has passed but this President speaks for Americans 365 days a year.

...unlike the Hollywood Boy we have right now.

http://vimeo.com/96320009
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142623 May 28, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>Solyndra scandal timeline
Key events in the rise and fall of the bankrupt solar company. Click on the icons to see the relevant Solyndra documents.
Solyndra is formed.
Dec. 2006
Solyndra applies for government-guaranteed loan under Bush administration.
Feb. 2009
Solyndra CEO suggests energy secretary help showcase company.
March 2009
Solyndra wins conditional loan under DOE program.
July 2009
DOE staffer criticizes Chu for implying Solyndra has already won loan.
Aug. 2009
White House aide pushes OMB for final decision on Solyndra loan.
Sept. 2009
OMB approves loan; Biden and Chu appear at groundbreaking three days later.
March 2010
Auditors raise concerns about whether Solyndra can continue operating.
March 24
Obama donor warns White House about president visiting Solyndra.
March 26
Obama visits Solyndra, touts it as model of clean tech and job creation.
Dec. 2010
Solyndra executives learn that the company is out of cash.
Jan. 2011
OMB staffers warn Solyndra rescue with public money is politically "risky".
Jan. 2011
Solyndra execs confide to administration that they are on brink of liquidation.
Feb. 2011
DOE helps Solyndra with refinancing; investors put in an additional $75M.
Aug. 31, 2011
Solyndra shuts down, lays off most workers.
So.... what happened son?

Besides capitalism at work? You know, a normal reich winger day....

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1142624 May 28, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Moran alert!
"silly"
Why did you not answer the questions posed? You had no answers?
Peace
KMA
GPUAR
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142625 May 28, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
F - A - L - S - E
Hey STUPID lying moron, you safety school imbeciles like you & your kid should leave the major league discussion to your superiors.
---> "The Bush administration never approved Solyndra's loan, saying the application needed more work." <----
The Catholic University of America
Acceptance rate: 63.2%(2012)
Stupid Democrat Kool-Aid drinking useful idiot.
You are a LIAR and an IDIOT!
F - A - L - S - E - DUH-Pont lying again!
lol! poor ruskie. he still believes his opinions outrank reality.

well, those are the lessons learned in a gulag!

Lapeer, MI

#1142626 May 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
if it can be limited, much as it already is, why would anyone need to erase it?
but let's talk about fake founder's quotes and rewriting, shall we?
sonic, you've fallen off your horse about ten times this morning. Why not just stay off, eh?
No Surprize

Largo, FL

#1142627 May 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
People who feel a need to lie and make up stories about other people because they have no valid argument left are called...Republicans on welfare.
You can tell more about a loser like you by what you say about others than you can by what others say about you old woman ..

It's the culture...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142628 May 28, 2014
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous, you only wish you were worth that much? Typical Republican who probably gives away more in a year, than you and everyone in your neighborhood make on welfare? Give it up, if it weren't for Republicans paying taxes, moochers such as you, would be panhandling? By the way, which agency is paying your internet bill now?
poor baby. still making claims you can't back up.... as usual!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is A 1 hr Chilli J 616
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 12,237
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 2,574
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 3,810
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 6,966
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr RACE 1,066
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Bolder 243,401

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages