Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1348786 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Michelle

Cranberry Twp, PA

#1141216 May 25, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
The fake patriotism of Fox News: What the right doesn’t understand about Memorial Day
When conservative pundits accuse Obama of "disrespecting" the military, they're missing what's really important
....Although America was founded in part on the civic-republican tradition, today we find ourselves with patriotism, nationalism and jingoism all jumbled together and confused. And nothing, ultimately, is more damaging to true patriotism than this, because jingoism and nationalism regard the critically-minded patriot as the most insidious traitor. We saw this played out clearly when Iraq veterans began speaking out to end the war they had been sent off to fight, and Rush Limbaugh referred to them as “phony soldiers”— a smear that he then tried to retroactively rewrite, after he was called on it.
In the civic-republican tradition, soldiers never stop being citizens, too. The obedience they owe on the battlefield as soldiers is entirely limited to that role. Their role as citizens is primary, and requires honesty, candor and critical thinking on their part. Nationalism and jingoism tend automatically toward war, but classical republics were relatively small and potentially fragile political entities. The patriotism that sustained them saw war as rarely necessary, and always dangerous, so it was naturally much more circumspect.
So it is with true patriotism today. It is, significantly, a counterforce to nationalism and jingoism, much more than it is akin to them. And so, for the warmongers, true patriotism is something to be feared, hated and destroyed. This is an even deeper, broader animosity than the anti-Obama obsession I described above. It is an animosity to independent thought, to critical reflection, to care and judiciousness — and also to learning the lessons of history.
http://www.salon.com/2014/05/24/the_fake_patr...
Any fool knows that Memorial Day has nothing to do with living veterans, or even with dead veterans except for those who died while serving in the Armed Forces.

Thank you for your support.

Barack is playing golf today, but his thoughts are with our girls in Nigeria.

#BringBackOurGirls
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141217 May 25, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
I'm on a real judgit role here this morning!!!!!!!!!!
The same holds true for me, for I know not what I do, nor who I should support in this scandal-ridden administration.
Michelle

Cranberry Twp, PA

#1141218 May 25, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama would have considered all intel & determined that Sadam did not have any active WMD programs & to be safe, used multilateral sanctions to force better inspections.
He would not have sent Biden to the CIA every freaklin day & push them into making up intel about Iraq.
Not sure about that. Biden is pretty freaky and we don't want him hanging around the White House all day.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141219 May 25, 2014
Jean wrote:
Needed a second cup of coffee to remember what I wanted to say this am in my VA post.
Inexpressible thanks to all of you veterans who have served this country!:)
We all know you're not drinking coffee. Dead people can't swallow.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141220 May 25, 2014
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Jean lives!
Praise Allah!
But can she still vote? Oh, yes...she's still on the rolls in Chicago! Score one for the incumbent.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141221 May 25, 2014
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Barack and I are firm believers in schools that will accept anybody.
That must be why there are so many competent staff members in his administration. Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha...
Michelle

Cranberry Twp, PA

#1141222 May 25, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
"Has our culture devolved to the point that the private statements of an NBA owner draws more outrage than the lies and deceit of the President of the United States?"
Lt. Col. Allen B. West
Time for the Zionist NBA owners to share the wealth with the African-American players and fans. Sterling is just the tip of the iceberg.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141223 May 25, 2014
Jean wrote:
For anyone interested in the TRUTH about the VA a must read. Written by one of the foremost cardiologists in the WORLD!
Carol... Don't read . You might actually learn something.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankrumholz/20...
Someday you might actually learn to read, also. Do they allow that in the cemetery? Maybe to yourself.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141224 May 25, 2014
Jean wrote:
PDupont & RealDave...
You have the patience of a saint...both of you. Can't believe this convo is still going on.....
Then do try to stop it, dear. The world will be grateful.
Michelle

Cranberry Twp, PA

#1141225 May 25, 2014
Patricia Harrison wrote:
<quoted text> We all know you're not drinking coffee. Dead people can't swallow.
Perhaps Jean is a zombie.
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141226 May 25, 2014
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't her lack of intelligence that bothers me so much as her complete disregard for the truth. Her behavior is very disturbing.
The truth? Obama knows a lot about that...Bwhahahahahahahahahahah a...
Patricia Harrison

Palm Coast, FL

#1141227 May 25, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more Jean, it seems as though facts, common sense and the obvious play absolutely no role in Carols decision making.
Now you're probably the dumbest one on this forum, and that's saying a lot, since your imaginary friends are close seconds.
Michelle

Cranberry Twp, PA

#1141228 May 25, 2014
Patricia Harrison wrote:
<quoted text> That must be why there are so many competent staff members in his administration. Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha...
Barack keeps people like Biden, Kerry, and Shinseki around to make him look good by comparison. Winning!
Nostrilis Waxman

Anonymous Proxy

#1141229 May 25, 2014
Patricia Harrison wrote:
<quoted text> I know, but I'm a moron worshipper of Obammy, so I have no choice.
ME again!! I amaze even myself sometimes!!!!!!!!!!

Since: May 11

Landisburg, PA

#1141230 May 25, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
"Has our culture devolved to the point that the private statements of an NBA owner draws more outrage than the lies and deceit of the President of the United States?"
Lt. Col. Allen B. West
I am outraged about Allen West lying about President Obama.

West is sofa king stupid he thinks placated the Tea Party gains him any respect whatsoever.

He does it so Fox will pay him to be on their network.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1141231 May 25, 2014
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for confirming my assessment of your educational deficiencies. Rest assured that Barack has remedial programs in place for folks like you who are victims of segregated schools.
i'm a victim of the whiteness agenda?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1141232 May 25, 2014
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Any fool knows that Memorial Day has nothing to do with living veterans, or even with dead veterans except for those who died while serving in the Armed Forces.
Thank you for your support.
Barack is playing golf today, but his thoughts are with our girls in Nigeria.
#BringBackOurGirls
lol

Memorial Day — or Decoration Day, as it is also known — is a day of remembrance. But what, exactly, are we remembering? That is a question worth pondering this Memorial Day weekend. But first, to get warmed up, here’s an easier one: Which of these is not like the others?

(A) On Memorial Day, 1983, President Ronald Reagan attended a summit meeting in Williamsburg, Va., with leaders of the industrialized democracies, while Deputy Secretary of Defense W. Paul Thayer laid a wreath at Arlington Cemetery during the Memorial Day ceremony.

(B) On Memorial Day, 1992, President George H.W. Bush attended a wreath-laying ceremony in Kennebunkport, Maine, where he also made brief remarks at an American Legion hall, and played a round of golf, while Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery.

(C) On Memorial Day, 2002, President Bush George W. Bush attended a ceremony at the Normandy American Cemetery in France.

(D) On Memorial Day, 2010, President Barack Obama attended a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Illinois, while Vice President Joe Biden participated in the customary wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.

The answer, of course, is “D”— at least in the Fox News universe. Rightwing media figures quickly attacked Obama for “trampling on tradition” and showing his disrespect for veterans and the military, as Media Matters reported at the time. On his radio show, Glenn Beck said,“I am sick and tired — sick and tired — of people believing the lie that this administration has respect for the police or has respect for the soldiers of our country. I’m tired of it.” RedState blogger Erick Erickson tweeted:....

Then the next day,“Fox & Friends” devoted an entire segment to pondering Obama’s unprecedented insult, with host Brian Kilmeade, historian (with a tenuous grasp on recent history) Richard Miller, National Review’s Andrew McCarthy and former Harry Reid aide Penny Lee discussing Obama’s planned activities for Memorial Day, with chyrons framing the story,“Trampling On Tradition?”,“Offensive To Soldiers?” and “Memorial Day Miss-Out?”

Media Matters commented on this farcical charade as well, pointing out just how precedented Obama’s actions were, despite claims to the contrary:

If the thrust of the attack is that this “breaks tradition” and is therefore possibly “offensive” to soldiers, then conservatives either need to abandon this talking point or embrace the idea that several of their Republican heroes also hated the troops.

But that’s not how the noise machine works, which Erick Erickson demonstrated on Twitter yesterday.

Neat trick, eh? This is evidence Obama hates the military because conservatives like Erickson have previously questioned Obama’s “support for soldiers and belief in American Exceptionalism.” Basically, Obama hates the military because conservatives claim Obama hates the military. That’s CNN-quality analysis right there.

But the point of citing all the above is not to dwell on how conservatives demonize America’s first black President, manufacturing evidence against him out of their own projected hostility towards him. This is all a part of something much broader picture — an overall poisoning, so to speak, of everything precious to them that escapes their control.

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/24/the_fake_patr...
Hillaryous

Palm Coast, FL

#1141233 May 25, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm a victim of the whiteness agenda?
What DIFFERENCE does it make? lol
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1141234 May 25, 2014

Right-wing media attack Obama over Memorial Day plans

Conservative media have attacked President Obama, claiming that his plans to attend a Memorial Day ceremony in Chicago while allowing Vice President Joe Biden to lay a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery are disrespectful to the military. However, previous presidents -- including Ronald Reagan -- allowed others to lay the wreath at Arlington to honor fallen troops.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/05/25/r...

FOX truncating history. again.

it's no wonder you FOXbots are always running up against an intellectual wall.
Patrick n Angela

Palm Coast, FL

#1141235 May 25, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I am outraged about Allen West lying about President Obama.
West is sofa king stupid he thinks placated the Tea Party gains him any respect whatsoever.
He does it so Fox will pay him to be on their network.
Are you also outraged about Obama lying about his unaffordable healthcare act and his saying if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, and if you like your healthcare plan, you can keep your healthcare plan... when it has been proven that he was aware that those things were not true, but he went ahead and actually lied about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 207,745
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 101,442
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr PEllen 7,341
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr PEllen 5,659
last post wins! (Apr '13) 5 hr They cannot kill ... 624
last post wins! (Dec '10) 5 hr They cannot kill ... 1,604
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr IBdaMann 57,334
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages