Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1346148 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1127934 Apr 29, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
Obama hits 41%, an all time low in his approval rating, and only 39% want Democrats in charge. According to MSNBC this makes Obama politically toxic going into the midterms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Eb9KN1Wa4TMXX
what's that poll say about Congressional elections?

Dems in front.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1127935 Apr 29, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Giving the very "FACT" that he was handed eight years of total incompetence, two botched unnecessary wars, a congress who admitted that their only objective is defeating him, and not helping in the least to clean up their messes.If the Republicans cared as much about our country as they do about power and greed then we could be a lot further along with solving all of our problems. But when they have sheep like you to do their will and spread their fabricated stories daily,
We are far more fkd up now than we were then thanks to Obama's total incompetence..
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1127936 Apr 29, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Giving the very "FACT" that he was handed eight years of total incompetence, two botched unnecessary wars, a congress who admitted that their only objective is defeating him, and not helping in the least to clean up their messes.If the Republicans cared as much about our country as they do about power and greed then we could be a lot further along with solving all of our problems. But when they have sheep like you to do their will and spread their fabricated stories daily,
i can't get one of them to admit they voted for Bush. i wonder why that is?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1127937 Apr 29, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just not sure it is a problem. It certainly isn't as prevalent in California as it is in the southern states. From what I can gather, here in California, the blacks hate the whites. Not the other way around. What problem we do have is caused by transplanted southerners, both white and black. They brought their prejudices with them when they moved west.
I was raised by parents who were color blind, despite the fact that my mother was the victim of black on white crime in the '40's but she never judged an entire group of people by a few bad apples. The color of their skin was immaterial.
I agree that the Southern states are the worst racist states; Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Lousiana and probably northern Florida; It's not as bad here in southeast Florida as we have a diversified population of New Yorkers, South Americans, Cubans, Haitians, we have people from all over the world here so we coexist pretty well.
You are fortunate, as was I, that we were raised by parents who were not ignorant. Racism is pretty much a learned behavior. In California, you had various elements that contributed to racial strife; mainly police brutality and competing gangs of Mexicans, Chicanos and Blacks. I lived in SF in the late 70's and totally love California, I love Florida too, but if were to ever move again, I would return to SF. My husband was born and raised there.
This is an interesting read on the subject:

Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class

Campaigning for president in 1980, Ronald Reagan told stories of Cadillac-driving "welfare queens" and "strapping young bucks" buying T-bone steaks with food stamps. In trumpeting these tales of welfare run amok, Reagan never needed to mention race, because he was blowing a dog whistle: sending a message about racial minorities inaudible on one level, but clearly heard on another. In doing so, he tapped into a long political tradition that started with George Wallace and Richard Nixon, and is more relevant than ever in the age of the Tea Party and the first black president

http://www.demos.org/publication/dog-whistle-... -
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1127938 Apr 29, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You finally figured that out out, eh?
Says the little fat no life poster with 45, 000 posts and not a single one of them has changed a single thing or made a valid point. Instead of dying a slow painful death, I suggest you borrow Waxman's Yugo and get in a air tight garage and idle for a day or two, that makes far more sense than you ever do. Matter of fact take that azzhole with you. America thanks you in advance.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1127939 Apr 29, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be it. When the stimulus gave money to the states so that communities could keep the policemen & firemen, assh*les like you had a GD fit because they belonged to a union.
Can't hep education either because assh*les like you claim its helping the teacher union.
Can't fund infrastructure because its done by a lot of union people.
Obama ran on green energy so green companies supported him & assh*les like you claim he was paying back his donors.
This is how GD stupid your arguments are.
Just like claiming more blacks voted in 2008 proved there is no voter suppression in the photo ID laws. I'm still laughing about that one.
Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?
Patrick

United States

#1127940 Apr 29, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama would not have been elected without whites. I was at a rally here when the President flew in in AF One; when he arrived onto the stage; a young mother in front of me hoisted her little son onto her shoulders so he could see the President and the little boy said "Mom, he's brown like me"!
That says it all; that black people can always remember that they witnessed the first black President; that is a message that anything is truly possible.
We will feel the same way when Hillary is elected!
I totally agree with you that education is the answer.
Carol seems wise not to join the racist post-a-thon?
ACA seems working and the Ukraine the major story overlooked by MSNBC and CNN :-)
May travel back to Boston for a week -Angela

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1127941 Apr 29, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! So, you're saying, "If America was in tip-top economic shape, the world was at peace, and everyone was employed in high paying jobs, Obama would have done a much better job."
Patrick

United States

#1127942 Apr 29, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be it. When the stimulus gave money to the states so that communities could keep the policemen & firemen, assh*les like you had a GD fit because they belonged to a union.
Can't hep education either because assh*les like you claim its helping the teacher union.
Can't fund infrastructure because its done by a lot of union people.
Obama ran on green energy so green companies supported him & assh*les like you claim he was paying back his donors.
This is how GD stupid your arguments are.
Just like claiming more blacks voted in 2008 proved there is no voter suppression in the photo ID laws. I'm still laughing about that one.
The economy working as well as it does seems to disturb the trolls.
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1127943 Apr 29, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i can't get one of them to admit they voted for Bush. i wonder why that is?
I see that... But we know that they all did. But then again I can't think of a bagger on here that has character or even a smidgen of honesty.They all drink from the same watering hole.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1127944 Apr 29, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the little fat no life poster with 45, 000 posts and not a single one of them has changed a single thing or made a valid point. Instead of dying a slow painful death, I suggest you borrow Waxman's Yugo and get in a air tight garage and idle for a day or two, that makes far more sense than you ever do. Matter of fact take that azzhole with you. America thanks you in advance.
This Waxman must be consistently making a fool out of you. Why else would you be obsessed with him? So how is your "glorious" East Coast vacation going jizzball?

ROTFLMAO!!!
Patrick

United States

#1127946 Apr 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I agree that the Southern states are the worst racist states; Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Lousiana and probably northern Florida; It's not as bad here in southeast Florida as we have a diversified population of New Yorkers, South Americans, Cubans, Haitians, we have people from all over the world here so we coexist pretty well.
You are fortunate, as was I, that we were raised by parents who were not ignorant. Racism is pretty much a learned behavior. In California, you had various elements that contributed to racial strife; mainly police brutality and competing gangs of Mexicans, Chicanos and Blacks. I lived in SF in the late 70's and totally love California, I love Florida too, but if were to ever move again, I would return to SF. My husband was born and raised there.
Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class
Campaigning for president in 1980, Ronald Reagan told stories of Cadillac-driving "welfare queens" and "strapping young bucks" buying T-bone steaks with food stamps. In trumpeting these tales of welfare run amok, Reagan never needed to mention race, because he was blowing a dog whistle: sending a message about racial minorities inaudible on one level, but clearly heard on another. In doing so, he tapped into a long political tradition that started with George Wallace and Richard Nixon, and is more relevant than ever in the age of the Tea Party and the first black president
Tea Party has cost the republicans five senate seats since 2010. Amused how active the tea party trolls are on thread ....- Angela
Grey Ghost

Berryville, VA

#1127947 Apr 29, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! So, you're saying, "If America was in tip-top economic shape, the world was at peace, and everyone was employed in high paying jobs, Obama would have done a much better job."
So while you were LYAO did it ever occur to address what I actually said as opposed to your jibber jabber?
Patrick

United States

#1127948 Apr 29, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that... But we know that they all did. But then again I can't think of a bagger on here that has character or even a smidgen of honesty.They all drink from the same watering hole.
They are all Wax'ie under different names
LOL

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1127949 Apr 29, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Community organizers go into poorer sections of cities to get neighborhoods to band together to help themselves.
They get organizations like churches to offer child care & they bring in job training & help people find jobs to work their way out of poverty.
Wow, helping people help themselves.
This is what you have been crying about, taking responsibility, & Obama did it & you are too f*cking stupid to know it.
... and that explains why the south side of Chicago isn't a murderous slum today llike it was before Obama darkened the streets there with his shadow.
Looks like Obama's neighborhood still needs a community organizer that can... how did you put it... "get neighborhoods to band together to help themselves."
Can you explain why the blacks in Obama's old neighborhood tell him to "just quit"?

So, what does a community organizer do?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1127950 Apr 29, 2014
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
"We will feel the same way when Hillary is elected!"
Why, is Hilary black?
No, but you are a dummy

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#1127952 Apr 29, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Right whiners complaining Obama didn't fix their mess fast enough while ignoring that Republicans have filibustered job bills while the House has done nothing but pass legislation that repeals, defunds or weakens the ACA.
They've not only filibustered Obama's job bill but everything else he's done, including appointments! The fact that right wing morons ignore the Republican obstruction strategy and then blame Obama for not accomplishing anything defies all logic.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1127953 Apr 29, 2014
Running for president in 1964, the Arizonan strode across the South, hawking small-government bromides and racially coded appeals. In terms of the latter, he sold his vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act as a bold stand in favor of “states’ rights” and “freedom of association.” States’ rights, Goldwater insisted, preserved state autonomy against intrusive meddling from a distant power—though obviously the burning issue of the day was the federal government’s efforts to limit state involvement in racial degradation and group oppression. Freedom of association, Goldwater explained, meant the right of individuals to be free from government coercion in choosing whom to let onto their property—but in the South this meant first and foremost the right of business owners to exclude blacks from hotels, restaurants, movie theaters, and retail establishments. Like Wallace, Goldwater had learned how to talk about blacks without ever mentioning race.

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/how_the_gop_b...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1127954 Apr 29, 2014
No less than Wallace, Goldwater also demonstrated a flair for political stagecraft. A reporter following Goldwater’s campaign through the South captured some of the spectacle:“to show the country the ‘lily-white’ character of Republicanism in Dixie,” party flaks filled the floor of the football stadium in Montgomery, Alabama, with “a great field of white lilies—living lilies, in perfect bloom, gorgeously arrayed.” To this tableau, the campaign added “seven hundred Alabama girls in long white gowns, all of a whiteness as impossible as the greenness of the field.” Onto this scene emerged Goldwater, first moving this way and then that way through “fifty or so yards of choice Southern womanhood,” before taking the stand to give his speech defending states’ rights and freedom from association

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/how_the_gop_b...
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1127955 Apr 29, 2014
<quoted text>
". Racism is pretty much a learned behavior."

Yup, and it has been learned equally well by both sides.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dear Abby 2-6-16 30 min RACE 3
Ask Amy 2-6-16 37 min RACE 4
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 46 min Jacques in Orleans 207,444
Earning money 1 hr Promoter1978 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 57,184
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Thelma Louise 7,279
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Red_Forman 595
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages