Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1780746 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1127415 Apr 28, 2014
Yeah wrote:
lol! Speaking of race. Now the reich wing is groveling.....
http://news.yahoo.com/2016-republicans-target...
"2016 Republicans Target Black Democrats and Poor White Republicans with One Magic Bullet
The Atlantic Wire
By Philip Bump 1 hour ago
2016 Republicans Target Black Democrats and Poor White Republicans with One Magic Bullet
Once 2016 finally rolls around, Republican candidates have to negotiate two very different electorates in the primary (white Republicans) and the general election (black Democrats) that often share one commonality: economic struggle. A number of the Republicans that are likely to try to win both of those races — Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. Paul Ryan, Mike Huckabee, and Rick Santorum — have begun to articulate what they see as the thread between those two populations.
The Paul Ryan strategy
A listening tour on poverty that focuses on black Americans.
There are at least two ways to look at Paul Ryan's recent excursions into understanding how poverty works and affects (mostly black) Americans. One way of looking at it is that Ryan, the long-time head of the House budget committee, experienced a (perhaps literal) come-to-Jesus moment on the need to improve the government's systems for addressing poverty and has been touring the country to talk to the actual poor. Another way of looking at it is that Ryan would like to be president, and is working to bolster his shaky credentials with black voters and on economic issues. This is the "well-drawn caricature of himself as a wolf in bro’s clothing," as BuzzFeed's McKay Coppins put it in his lengthy new profile of Ryan — the guy who wants to slash spending, but while showing the world his trademark concerned frown.
RELATED: Sarah Palin Is Not the Right's Campaign Savior Anymore
Coppins casts Ryan in the first light: A devout Catholic who is trying to balance the Republican drive to reduce spending with new strategies for helping the poor and the formerly incarcerated. To that end, Coppins revisits a lot of the same arguments he made in December, in a piece titled, "Paul Ryan Finds God," following Ryan as the congressman talked to a group at Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church in Indianapolis. "Ryan," Coppins writes, "is doing something rather unprecedented for a Republican: He is spending unchoreographed time with actual poor people."
New York's Jonathan Chait — as Coppins notes and as we have discussed in the past — is much more skeptical of the plan, and falls firmly into the second camp above. Ryan, a politician, is certainly happy to receive positive press that shows him trying to help the black community; if he runs for president, the Coppins piece will be mentioned. Chait has documented Ryan's outreach in much harsher terms, suggesting that Ryan is looking for sympathetic cover on policies aimed at gutting spending on social programs.
RELATED: Five Best Monday Columns
Before House Republicans released their budget earlier this year, Ryan published a report criticizing federal spending on poverty programs. When the budget didn't include any of Ryan's long-promised proposals for fighting poverty, Chait mocked Ryan soundly. Coppins indicates that Ryan will release those proposals on Wednesday, giving Americans a chance to see just how effective the listening tour has been.
The Rick Santorum Strategy
Refocus the Republican party on the needs of poor Republicans.
There's an obvious split within the Republican Party between the wealthy business interests that drive many of the campaign contributions and policy initiatives and the blue-collar Republicans that come out to vote. "These days, the GOP tone and agenda are set by a voting bloc of mostly white, blue-collar workers whose sensibilities skew more toward NASCAR than golf," as National Journal's Alex Roarty put it last week...."
Interesting choice of words..... "Target Black Democrats and Poor White Republicans with One Magic Bullet"
Emeemama

Palm Coast, FL

#1127417 Apr 28, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Any new nude photos?
lily also regularly inquires about these type of photos, from which she gets highly aroused.
Emeemama

Palm Coast, FL

#1127418 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Carol hates the President because he's handsome.
lily is also losing her eyesight.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1127419 Apr 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic church is a business. There are something the Pope can change and some things he can't. Changing long standing traditions is not something is can, or even should, tackle. He can do so much more by changing their focus from amassing money to helping the poor.
the Pope could easily halt the charade of creating bogus "saints".....

and the media could stop pretending that the Pope speaks for Christianity.....
Emeemama

Palm Coast, FL

#1127421 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
It's a misconception that only poor people buy lottery tickets. The people in Palm Beach buy upwards of $200 of tickets at a time, in addition to sending their maids to go buy them for them.
They send lily to go buy them after she's done cleaning their houses, and between her shifts at Walmart and Happy Hour.
Emeemama

Palm Coast, FL

#1127422 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Obamacare is not a disaster. One has nothing to do with the other. He was asked a question and he responded. And, quite aptly as well.
Ignorance is ignorance, just let them keep talking
Did he remind them they can keep their doctors and health plans, while keeping his fingers crossed behind his back?

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1127424 Apr 28, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a better chance of being raped and beaten and killed in the slums in Obama's old neighborhood in Chicago than during the slavery period. That was Bundy's point. It's relative.
But, let's put that to the test. How about you take a leisure stroll through the south side of Chicago after midnight. Or, let's just count the bullet riddled corpses stacked to the rafters in the morgue on Monday morning. Let's listen in on the 911 calls on Friday night.
The conditions Bundy described are a reality, and they are deplorable. That is the point. Any accusation of racism is nothing more than avoiding the reality of what life on the government plantation leads to.
The white people you hate freed you from slavery. Why are you putting yourself back into slavery? What's wrong with the freedom, liberty and rights the Constitution guarantees you?
First of all, sweetie, I am blond, blue-eyed and white. I do not judge people based on the color of their skin. As a native Californian, it took me a very long time to fully grasp the depth of racial hatred in the south which spread across the United States. Hate begets hate.

I used to question why people could come to America with nothing but the clothes on their backs and succeed while blacks in America were stuck in poverty. It made no sense to me. I had very little sympathy for the plight of blacks in America but, you know what, I came to realize that WE (whites) are to blame.

If you disrespect someone long enough they lose hope of ever rising above their plight in life and they lose respect for themselves and others. They become complacent and discouraged. We created that despair and it is up to us to correct it by making sure that blacks have the resources necessary to access a higher education. I'm confident that blacks will rise above poverty but it will take decades, generations, to gain their confidence and that won't happen with people like you and Bundy criticizing them for living the life we provided for them which only lends support to their belief that whites despise them with a blinding passion.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1127425 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
It's a misconception that only poor people buy lottery tickets. The people in Palm Beach buy upwards of $200 of tickets at a time, in addition to sending their maids to go buy them for them.
no one said only poor people do...but they do make up the majority of them as studies have shown. the studies already linked to here.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1127426 Apr 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no one even came close to stating that disgreeing with obama is racist. why did you even bring it up?
see #1127326 on the same page as your post.....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1127427 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Like what policy disagreement?
ObamaKKKare.....

St. Croix valley

#1127428 Apr 28, 2014
Emeemama wrote:
<quoted text> They send lily to go buy them after she's done cleaning their houses, and between her shifts at Walmart and Happy Hour.
when i used to work 60+ hour weeks and had two girls to raise, i had a cleaning lady come in twice a week. great gal. we talked about her business and one night i did the math and she would have made a very decent income working four days a week...cash.

St. Croix valley

#1127429 Apr 28, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
see #1127326 on the same page as your post.....
i was referring to me not saying that.

once again, Roxlo has to stoop to lying about what i said...seems pathological with her...

St. Croix valley

#1127430 Apr 28, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the Pope could easily halt the charade of creating bogus "saints".....
and the media could stop pretending that the Pope speaks for Christianity.....
why doesn't he just admit the whole cult is bogus then?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1127431 Apr 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
you can try to spin it all you want, but when a black person goes on FOX and forwards right wing myths so he can bolster the right wing view of black people, and puts FOX money in his pocket for doing it, that person will be called a Tom by any black person who has the misfortune to have heard his words.
we all understand that you people do not permit diversity of opinion....

sad......
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Hamden, CT

#1127432 Apr 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i was referring to me not saying that.
once again, Roxlo has to stoop to lying about what i said...seems pathological with her...
Sorry, everyone here know the weasel here is you, dumbfk.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1127433 Apr 28, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like the policy of stopping the Republicans from voter suppression ( tilted towards minorities, with their photo ID voter requirements?
advocating the position that minorities are less capable than whites of obtaining ID is the true racist position.......

but you're so racist that you can't see that.....

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1127434 Apr 28, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It's a scary thought to have anyone like that in power...
Agreed.
Gywen

New York, NY

#1127435 Apr 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Carol hates the President because he's handsome.
In an Urkel kind of way. The wife is the epitome of the ugly angry black woman look. There isn't enough botox given to mask it.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1127436 Apr 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, sweetie, I am blond, blue-eyed and white. I do not judge people based on the color of their skin. As a native Californian, it took me a very long time to fully grasp the depth of racial hatred in the south which spread across the United States. Hate begets hate.
I used to question why people could come to America with nothing but the clothes on their backs and succeed while blacks in America were stuck in poverty. It made no sense to me. I had very little sympathy for the plight of blacks in America but, you know what, I came to realize that WE (whites) are to blame.
If you disrespect someone long enough they lose hope of ever rising above their plight in life and they lose respect for themselves and others. They become complacent and discouraged. We created that despair and it is up to us to correct it by making sure that blacks have the resources necessary to access a higher education. I'm confident that blacks will rise above poverty but it will take decades, generations, to gain their confidence and that won't happen with people like you and Bundy criticizing them for living the life we provided for them which only lends support to their belief that whites despise them with a blinding passion.
What more do you suggest that we do? How long do you suggest that we do it? When does it become the responsibility of the blacks to rise above poverty?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1127437 Apr 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>wow! you really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in any are of the world do you?
i showed you the filipino's are not reacting to anything different that obama did.
russia already took teh crimea, idiot. where is the protest from teh people there? they seem to want to be part of russia.
russia will not take over the Ukraine.
europe is pretty tight with obama on most issues...far more so than bush.
etc etc etc....
why do you lie so much?
I think she is an anti government subversive; let's chip in and send her to Russia

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is A (Oct '17) 2 hr Good4U 865
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 2 hr MPMMB 132
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr MPMMB 3,915
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr MPMMB 12,412
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Bill Farted 64,838
Homeowner Defends Home 6 hr Join the NRA 7
Maddow exposed, Fusion paid her for fake news s... 6 hr ThighSpreadingSlut 22

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages