Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1498520 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1126290 Apr 26, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, just where in my post did I say I believe in Jesus?? or that he was god.
yes you are right my beliefs are similar to Jesus.
I believe in helping my fellow man, but that belief isn't owned by Christians, and certianly not by the American brand of conservative evangelical republican christians.
I "demonize" those christians who try to infuse their dogma into our secular government, that act like they are part of a little secret that the rest of us aren't, and stick their noses into everybody's business
The problem with Christians and most other religions is that they parrot the religious leaders who use the bible to verify their own prejudices. It's like the spirit of goodness which I believe we all possess is replaced by religious dogma and hatred of others. Sad.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1126291 Apr 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how many places have the red light cameras?
i do not think they would be as effective at keeping the roadways safe as speed cams.
what we really need is better driver training..
red light cameras result in insignificant increases in rear-end collisions.....

furthermore, many cities that have installed red light cameras have also reduced the length of the yellow light cycle in order to trap more victims......

and half or more of the money goes to the camera company, not to the municipality....

Murrieta, CA voters recently voted to remove the red light cameras in that city....

“Stop Child Slavery”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1126292 Apr 26, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the Keystone pipeline is privately funded and the government has no business interfering....
the reasons presented in this opinion piece could be used to justify prevention of any economic growth.......
but thank you for bringing this to our attention, Mr. FoxNews......
When WaPo says enough with the excuse, it shows the Obama favoring Steyer rather than any other stated cause.

Keystone XL’s continued delay is absurd

IF FOOT-DRAGGING were a competitive sport, President Obama and his administration would be world champions for their performance in delaying the approval of the Keystone XL pipeline.

Last Friday afternoon, the time when officials make announcements they hope no one will notice, the State Department declared that it is putting off a decision on Keystone XL indefinitely — or at least, it seems, well past November’s midterm elections. This time, the excuse is litigation in Nebraska over the proposed route, because that might lead to a change in the project that various federal agencies will want to consider. The State Department might even decide to substantially restart the environmental review process . This is yet another laughable reason to delay a project that the federal government has been scrutinizing for more than five years.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/keysto...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1126293 Apr 26, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The timers that control how long a particular light stays on. The state law is the national norm of one second for every 10 miles an hour road speed. It was found the amber lights were lit a fraction of a second shorter than the law requires. They have all since been found to be within standards and are used again, not so much in South Jersey.
Being an accurate measuring device is a requirement of the elements of proof like radar and the breathalyzer, a lawyer had questioned the accuracy of the amber light.
oh shit, i forgot you are in jersey...isn't everything there corrupted?

seems you folks have problems doing anything legally and by the law...

was your governor behind this scandal?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1126294 Apr 26, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was about the best response possible. Such thinking is just unbelievable.
hard to believe people like that can actually function in the real world on their own...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1126295 Apr 26, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
And just what does the ACA have to do with the hospitals payment policies? Nothing!
Premiums always had to be paid up front before coverage was activated Carol. Nothing has changed there. If you're going to be concerned about anyone, how about the estimated 750,000 in your state that don't have any kind of coverage at all because Rick Scott and his Republican minions refused Medicaid expansion out of political spite?
How about Charlene Dill, the 32 year old mother of two who died because of this?
Medicaid is welfare, not insurance....

growing the welfare rolls is a death spiral....

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1126296 Apr 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the companies control the length of the yellow lights? i don't think so...
the number of red light cams aren't even close to enough to even be considered in the national stats you used.
the speed photo speed cops do far more to keep traffic speeds down.
Oh, the problem with the timing of the yellow lights is well documented. Perhaps it isn't the "company" who is shortening the length of the yellow lights, could be the municipality themselves, I will give you that. Either way, it generates income for the company and the city.

Not sure what you mean about the number of red light cams not being enough. Here is a list of the camera locations in California alone.(Keep in mind, some cities have 50 or more cameras.)

http://highwayrobbery.net/redlightcamscameras...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1126297 Apr 26, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The timers that control how long a particular light stays on. The state law is the national norm of one second for every 10 miles an hour road speed. It was found the amber lights were lit a fraction of a second shorter than the law requires. They have all since been found to be within standards and are used again, not so much in South Jersey.
Being an accurate measuring device is a requirement of the elements of proof like radar and the breathalyzer, a lawyer had questioned the accuracy of the amber light.
Depends__if one googles red light camera scams one will find many articles re:the ways the camera owners have gamed or attempted to game the system to improve revenues.

Keep in mind that these cameras are all over the country, not just in your area and that the laws might vary from state to state.

In my area__the cameras have reduced accidents "at a few" extremely busy intersections and that's a good thing but the goal of the companies that own these cameras is to collect revenue and the electronic innards can be toyed with in that regard. It's been proven in several states (legal challenges) that reducing the yellow light and turn arrow cycles increases the amount of infractions.
Patrick n Angela

United States

#1126298 Apr 26, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
The same moral fortitude that led him to sexually harass a young employee??
The same honesty that led him to attempt to have his divorced wife's policeman boyfriend fired??
You're still cray-cray.
O'Reillly is a cheap dime store demagogue.
You are an enraged racist, filled with hatred. After two elections, you're still playing the birfer stupidity!!
You're as big a racist idiot as Dweeb.
Have a cigarette, resume your slow suicide.
Enjoy your posts
Patrick n Angela

United States

#1126299 Apr 26, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with Christians and most other religions is that they parrot the religious leaders who use the bible to verify their own prejudices. It's like the spirit of goodness which I believe we all possess is replaced by religious dogma and hatred of others. Sad.
a bit difficult to be a self centered republican and a Christian.
Which programs would Jesus kill?

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1126300 Apr 26, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"uselesssinceforever000 "
The Keystone Pipeline will be approved by the boy president nobama. That approval will come after the mid term elections this fall. nobama will not piss off the far left left liberal loons before the election.
Peace
KMA
GPUAR
Blah, blah, blah. The decision to approve or disapprove the Keystone Pipeline is not political. The court process determines the timeline. Not Obama.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1126301 Apr 26, 2014
Angela wrote:
<quoted text> Mitt is not in the White House because too many voters were ignorant enough to believe the incompetent puppet of the corrupt Chicago Democratic Machine, as well as their foolish desire to "Make History" by electing our nation's first half black-half white president. Fortunately, the voters have now witnessed the unveiling of the lying hypocrite that Obama has always been. Slightly less than half the voters realized this already when they voted for Mitt over Obama. The more uniformed and mentally slow finally came to grips with the fact that Obama was a liar when it was revealed to them repeatedly after the last presidential election, which is why his ratings plunged. Hopefully, the fewer and less mentally competent worshippers, such as you, will eventually admit how many times Obama has lied and will join the now majority who would not have voted for Obama had they had the foresight to visualize just what a fraud he is.
FOX talking head....

Every person who talks and writes about politics gets stuff wrong. I’ve gotten my fair share wrong. But what I think I got most wrong in Campaign 2012 was the damage Mitt Romney’s “47%” remark would do to him.

It may seem obvious, but bear with me.

Mitt Romney was talking off the cuff to a supposedly off the record group of donors and muddled several data points together, ultimately telling the tale of the 47% who won’t vote for him for any reason. He was referencing the 47% who don’t pay taxes and interwove it with a 47% of locked in Obama support. The statement was a mess.

I didn’t think Mitt Romney would be as hurt by the statement as he was because I assumed Romney had misspoken in an off the cuff way. I assumed Romney would clarify that he knew many of those who have government assistance did not actually want the assistance, but needed it. I assumed he’d make the case that he’d help those people get off the government dole and back into work.

In other words, I assumed Romney believed what I believe — many of those people are good people who fell on hard times and are not of the same class of people who will vote for Barack Obama for free stuff. I was absolutely wrong. Romney not only believes completely what he said as he said it, he reinforced it with his post election analysis of his defeat blaming gifts to various classes of people. If that was true, as Newt Gingrich pointed out, Romney had plenty to gift to plenty strapped to the back of marching elephants.

Note to Mitt Romney: really, it’s you, not them. Seriously.

http://www.redstate.com/2012/11/20/ronald-rea...

it's a crying shame that right wing nutjob BS couldn't get Mitt into the WH.

funny thing is.....in 2016 the nutjob faction will take another unabated go with the BS(re: your post that i'm replying to), and get their ass handed to them. again.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1126302 Apr 26, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Media Matters have an article for this one?
CNN: 103 year old woman drives a car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QIcHounLZhYXX#action=share
pretty sure they don't go after inane. usually just FOX/Rush BS.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1126303 Apr 26, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the Keystone pipeline is privately funded and the government has no business interfering....
the reasons presented in this opinion piece could be used to justify prevention of any economic growth.......
The Keystone pipeline is owned and operated by a foreign company. The U.S. government has absolutely every right and obligation to interfere. Especially when such foreign entity is attempting to confiscate land belonging to U.S. citizens.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1126304 Apr 26, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
35 jobs is economic growth? raising the price of gas is economic growth? sending the XL oil to China is economic growth?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1126305 Apr 26, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
when the facts against you, you people always play the race card.......
that gets you zero points here.....
here? LOL

get a life dood.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1126306 Apr 26, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
red light cameras result in insignificant increases in rear-end collisions.....
furthermore, many cities that have installed red light cameras have also reduced the length of the yellow light cycle in order to trap more victims......
and half or more of the money goes to the camera company, not to the municipality....
Murrieta, CA voters recently voted to remove the red light cameras in that city....
There is bill going through the State of Ohio legislature that will ban red light cameras throughout the entire state.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1126307 Apr 26, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I said at all, dipshit.
Really??

I took the words directly from your post!!

Try and keep up, old fella!!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1126308 Apr 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Teaman is old? i always thought of him as a young kid...
He told Dweeb he was a Vietnam vet.

That puts him on Medicare.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#1126309 Apr 26, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one pathetic lowlife. The only thing that idiots like you ever make painfully clear is your degree of hatred and cluelessness.
No return comment, just namecalling? You ma'am are what is commonly called, a backseat driver, "Clueless? You're always beyond clueless, You always call names but never think about what you're saying. You have an opinion on every little item, but you're intelligence on those items leaves so much to be desired...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min District 1 237,863
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 20 min Ize Found 71,400
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 63,405
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr honeymylove 3,030
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 1 hr Boo Madigan 24
News American Writers Museum to open in Chicago in May 2 hr Trump is the man 1
News Emanuel's 'people plazas' program struggling to... 2 hr Trump is the man 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages