Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1396529 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1123387 Apr 22, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should watch this documentary; you might see yourself:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/22/noam-ch...
Writer and documentarian Jen Senko has released a trailer for the film “The Brainwashing of my Dad,” in which she explores her father’s political conversion from lifelong Democrat into angry, ultra-conservative talk radio listener.
Talking Points Memo reported that Senko raised funds for the project via Kickstarter.
The donor page explained,“As filmmaker, Jen Senko, tries to understand the transformation of her father from a mild mannered life-long Democrat to an angry, Right-Wing fanatic, she uncovers the forces behind the media that changed him completely: a plan by Roger Ailes under Nixon for a media by the GOP, The Powell Memo and the dismantling of the Fairness Doctrine, all of which would ultimately misinform millions, divide families and even the country itself.”
Author Noam Chomsky, Eric Boehlert of Media Matters and others appear in the film, explaining how conservative media has become a billion dollar business in the U.S. and what steps could be taken to break its stranglehold on the national discourse. The film is set to premiere in August of 2014.
the FOX Effect.

TPM Reader CB shares his story ...

I have to say, I've seen a noticeable shift in my parents' views over the years as they've fallen deeper and deeper into Fox's grip. Although much more so for my mother than my father.(In fact, virtually every time we talk on the phone, I hear Fox droning on in the background. And when I am home visiting, I make it point to put Fox on mute.)

The vitriol that comes out of her mouth, the seething rage at "illegals," "Section 8," and all the other "low life" who, with the government's blessing, are taking away everything that she spent her life working for, is stunning. I don't remember her being that angry when I was growing up. It's really been in the last ten years or so that it's come on strong, and when Fox has become a virtual addiction.

What makes it worse, though, is the sheer amount of misinformation that she has bought into, along with her adoption of Fox's reflexive disdain of facts that counter the desired narrative (E.g., death panels, Bill O'Reilly has never divorced). My mother is a smart woman; she taught high school English for 35 years. It pains me to see her this way; it's simply not healthy to carry around that much simmering anger and paranoia.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-t...

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#1123388 Apr 22, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Got your guns shoved up your azz
You got your head up your azz

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1123390 Apr 22, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you feel about Bush's Patriot Act and the creation of the biggest single government agency, Homeland Security; that employs a half million people?
The Patriot Act was Americans spying on Islamist terrorists with foreign connections.
The NDAA is Islamist terrorists spying on Americans with domestic connections.
There's a difference, you know.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1123391 Apr 22, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
An economic Marxist/Leninist agenda disguised as progressive "bleeding heart" liberalism is happening to us. It's that fundamental transformation we were promised but no one on the left even stopped to ask into what.
The mainstream media knew into what which meant their job was cut out for them.
This country is in serious trouble.

“Depends on the Day”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1123392 Apr 22, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
source for your assertion about absent fathers?
i've got one.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr071.pdf
please read it before you try to make one of your standard replies. if you do you might glean tidbits like this....among men who don’t live with their children, black fathers are more likely than white or Hispanic dads to have a daily presence in their kids’ lives.
I never have understood those white folks. Odd creatures they are with their 'make sure they're born so we can forget about them' thing.
Why are you using this study in reference to "absent fathers"-those who are not involved at all with their children?

This study was voluntary. Only those who wished to participate was included so the results can not be assumed to include those who have no contact.

The bottom line of the study was-- as you would expect--fathers living with their children have more involvement in their lives.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1123393 Apr 22, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> My father doesn't even listen to music. His life is fairly simple.
It's tough bending and twisting attempting to make everything fit huh Flake?
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1123394 Apr 22, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
You got your head up your azz
But that would make him a bagger like you. Heaven forbid.

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#1123395 Apr 22, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! My dad, a life long West Virginia Democrat(there is a difference), called Obama a "fcuking commie" and he only watches the local ABC channel and the ABC Nightly News!!! So much for that!!!!
Just another sign that rotten fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree. Didn't you say yourself that the old man had pretty much given up?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1123396 Apr 22, 2014
Jon Stewart Tears Apart Sean Hannity’s Idiotic Defense Of Welfare Rancher Cliven Bundy

The segment began with Stewart doing a quick recap of Bundy’s story. Basically, he pointed out that Bundy had failed to pay grazing fees for twenty years and that it culminated in an armed standoff. A clip of former Arizona sheriff Richard Mack was played, where he stated that they planned on placing women on the frontline to get shot in order to make some kind of point about the evilness of the federal government. This culminated in Stewart offering up a new mock segment for the show title ‘I Don’t Get It,’ brought to you by ‘Ehh.’

At this point, Stewart wondered,“How is this guy a hero?” A clip is aired of Bundy saying he doesn’t believe that the US government actually exists. This led to a pretty funny moment where Stewart pretends he is Bundy waxing philosophical, discussing Descartes and the true meaning of laws and whether or not we are all just brains in a jar. This is followed up with a video clip of Bundy riding a horse waving a US flag proclaiming his victory. The irony wasn’t lost on Stewart, as he pointed out the extreme hypocrisy shown by a man waving the flag of a nation he claims he doesn’t believe in. At least the Confederacy was able to come up with their own flag.

However, Stewart really turned up the heat when he shifted to one of his favorite targets: Hannity. He questioned who would actually be on Bundy’s side, considering that no courts, state or federal, support any of Bundy’s claims. On queue, a video of Hannity was shown. Stewart then tore Hannity apart, showing his obvious duplicity and insincerity when it came to his support of Cliven Bundy.

First, Stewart pondered the thought of only following laws that you want to follow, much like Bundy is doing with the grazing fees. He then aired clips of Hannity chastising guests on his show for cherry-picking laws. The Daily Show host then wanted to know how Hannity felt about people not giving up, even though they’ve lost in court, much like Bundy has done several times. Of course, we were shown times where Hannity ripped into guests telling them they’ve lost in court and it’s time to give up.

Stewart wasn’t done with Hannity. Stewart wondered how Hannity would feel about people not paying their fair share to the government and scamming the system. This was followed by a clip of Hannity with Fox News’ favorite red herring, the Food Stamp Surfer. Finally, Stewart posits that perhaps Hannity is just enamored with Bundy’s cowboy hat, since everything else Bundy stands for Hannity has railed against in the past. A picture of Bundy is then changed to make him appear like an Occupy protester. Of course, we then see a clip of Hannity criticizing Occupy protesters for trespassing and breaking the law.

“How far out there is Hannity?”, Stewart asked. A Glenn Beck clip was aired with Beck interviewing Bundy. During the interview, Beck called Bundy a ‘welfare rancher’ and told him that grazing fees are pretty much the norm for ranchers. Stewart then exclaimed,“Sean Hannity has now made Glenn Beck the voice of reason!” Stewart ended the hilarious and piercing segment by pointedly telling Bundy, who has compared himself with the Founding Fathers, the following:“Dude, you’re a welfare rancher trying to pull off the largest cattle dine and dash.”

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/04/22/jon-st...

if FOX would just bill it's shtick as satire it would be the only channel anyone would watch.

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1123397 Apr 22, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
oh[!], so we're going to share the nutjob?!
do you see the flawed reasoning for trying to blame a group of people, that you hate, for the killing of people by someone using the guns that FOX has spent the last week telling people they need to use against the Government?
pretty sure you nutjobs own the gun problem. FOX has made that a no contention left wing point of right wing hypocrisy.
ok, i think i'm getting warmed up. next![snark, snark]
This is such a jumble of illogical connections that I am going to leave your FNS derangement syndrome to you to work through.

Who do you think is shooting each other in Chicago?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1123398 Apr 22, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying your hand at election predictions you disgraced imbecile. Lol
don't you have a car in the bay that needs an oil change...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1123399 Apr 22, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you using this study in reference to "absent fathers"-those who are not involved at all with their children?
This study was voluntary. Only those who wished to participate was included so the results can not be assumed to include those who have no contact.
The bottom line of the study was-- as you would expect--fathers living with their children have more involvement in their lives.
beat me on the head with the obvious stick.

now if we could just get more of those white guys to quit thinking the world is a meat market.....

i think we've all seen enough white kids.

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#1123400 Apr 22, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
But that would make him a bagger like you. Heaven forbid.
He's a bagEE. Learn the correct term

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1123401 Apr 22, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
the FOX Effect.
TPM Reader CB shares his story ...
I have to say, I've seen a noticeable shift in my parents' views over the years as they've fallen deeper and deeper into Fox's grip. Although much more so for my mother than my father.(In fact, virtually every time we talk on the phone, I hear Fox droning on in the background. And when I am home visiting, I make it point to put Fox on mute.)
The vitriol that comes out of her mouth, the seething rage at "illegals," "Section 8," and all the other "low life" who, with the government's blessing, are taking away everything that she spent her life working for, is stunning. I don't remember her being that angry when I was growing up. It's really been in the last ten years or so that it's come on strong, and when Fox has become a virtual addiction.
What makes it worse, though, is the sheer amount of misinformation that she has bought into, along with her adoption of Fox's reflexive disdain of facts that counter the desired narrative (E.g., death panels, Bill O'Reilly has never divorced). My mother is a smart woman; she taught high school English for 35 years. It pains me to see her this way; it's simply not healthy to carry around that much simmering anger and paranoia.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-t...
You don't have a clue what you're talking about... again.

Pg 30, Sec 123 states that there will be a government-appointed committee that decides what treatments you are allowed and what your overall benefits are.

Translation: Death Panel.

ObamaKare: "We're sorry, Mr. Smith. Your life isn't funded for next year because some crackwhore needs an abortion, and some illegal alien needs prenatal care for her anchor baby."

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1123402 Apr 22, 2014
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Just another sign that rotten fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree. Didn't you say yourself that the old man had pretty much given up?
He's almost 94. Just lost his girlfriend of 30+ years. All his friends are gone. I'd say that would put you in the blues! He's a tough ole bird. He's been counted out many times before and outlived almost every one who was doing the counting.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1123403 Apr 22, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is such a jumble of illogical connections that I am going to leave your FNS derangement syndrome to you to work through.
Chicago? shooting?

ok, so i'll hazard a guess...people with guns?

and if you think something i said is illogical....i totally won.

“Depends on the Day”

Location hidden

#1123404 Apr 22, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Your examples at convincing others is truly comical...I strongly suspect that if you were to quit using yourself and other family dummies as examples of normal Americans it would be helpful.
Oh please, this is a little thread with about 25 readers with the progressives deeply entrenched. No one is going to get you to admit that Obama has ever done anything wrong.

It is a little disconnected from reality for you to think anything earth shattering is occurring as the result of this thread.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1123405 Apr 22, 2014
RoxLo wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be quite proud of the "FACT" that you are very stupid. 6650
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1123406 Apr 22, 2014
angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Where would the Right be today if not for Banal Evil and Willful Venal Idiocy?
I thank a Progressive each and everyday for giving us pot and abortions!!!!

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#1123407 Apr 22, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the liberty to get an education, get a job, show up for work every day on time, study your profession, and earn the middle class living standard that was characteristic of the United States.
So, kindly tell us why you (Democrats) don't take advantage of that liberal opportunity? You can't get more liberal than that. You choose to be poor, or not to be poor.
American middle class wages and income have been stagnant for over 30 years because of Reagan's suppression of labor unions and passing laws to allow American corporations to hide more of their profits in tax loopholes and off-shore shelters, keep more of their profits for top management wages and benefits, push average worker wages downward, eliminate many of the labor union gains in wages, workplace safety, environmental protection, community livability, and worker/owner participatory capitalism

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 18 min John Schanahan 102,570
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 50 min Rogue Scholar 05 217,117
Who's this Fauxcahontas? 1 hr Welcome2theWigWam 32
Fat Ankles and hairy toes. 1 hr Bills Babes 26
True BRILLIANCE and so correct. 1 hr Im On 2nd 7
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr tina anne 60,180
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr GEORGIA 1,691

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages