Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1346084 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1105477 Mar 28, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Eman,
that's funny; my niece suggested that idea as well. But, really, it's not the dogs fault; it's the owner. And, if the dog died mysteriously, he would know it was probably I who did it
There are only 5 houses on my street. Are dogs attracted to anti freeze?
If I have cameras that I can access remotely; I will see when the dog is running free and call the police.
if they attack you, they'll be put down anyway. Yeah, alot of animals are attracted to antifreeze...scratch that.

check out the link I put in a reply to sonic.
Patrick

United States

#1105478 Mar 28, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts are ..
...six Million signed up for Obamacare.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1105479 Mar 28, 2014
Obama vs. Putin: The mismatch

By Charles Krauthammer, Published: March 27

“The United States does not view Europe as a battleground between East and West, nor do we see the situation in Ukraine as a zero-sum game. That’s the kind of thinking that should have ended with the Cold War.”

— Barack Obama, March 24.

Should. Lovely sentiment. As lovely as what Obama said five years ago to the United Nations:“No one nation can or should try to dominate another nation.”

That’s the kind of sentiment you expect from a Miss America contestant asked to name her fondest wish, not from the leader of the free world explaining his foreign policy.

The East Europeans know they inhabit the battleground between the West and a Russia that wants to return them to its sphere of influence. Ukrainians see tens of thousands of Russian troops across their border and know they are looking down the barrel of quite a zero-sum game.

Obama thinks otherwise. He says that Vladimir Putin’s kind of neo-imperialist thinking is a relic of the past — and advises Putin to transcend the Cold War.

Good God. Putin hasn’t transcended the Russian revolution. Did no one give Obama a copy of Putin’s speech last week upon the annexation of Crimea? Putin railed not only at Russia’s loss of empire in the 1990s. He went back to the 1920s:“After the revolution, the Bolsheviks&#8201;.&#82 01;.&#8201;. may God judge them, added large sections of the historical South of Russia to the Republic of Ukraine.” Putin was referring not to Crimea (which came two sentences later) but to his next potential target: Kharkiv and Donetsk and the rest of southeastern Ukraine.

Putin’s irredentist grievances go very deep. Obama seems unable to fathom them. Asked whether he’d misjudged Russia, whether it really is our greatest geopolitical foe, he disdainfully replied that Russia is nothing but “a regional power” acting “out of weakness.”

Where does one begin? Hitler’s Germany and Tojo’s Japan were also regional powers, yet managed to leave behind at least 50 million dead. And yes, Russia should be no match for the American superpower. Yet under this president, Russia has run rings around America, from the attempted ingratiation of the “reset” to America’s empty threats of “consequences” were Russia to annex Crimea.

Annex Crimea it did. For which the “consequences” have been risible. Numberless 19th- and 20th-century European soldiers died for Crimea. Putin conquered it in a swift and stealthy campaign that took three weeks and cost his forces not a sprained ankle. That’s “weakness”?

Indeed, Obama’s dismissal of Russia as a regional power makes his own leadership of the one superpower all the more embarrassing. For seven decades since the Japanese surrender, our role under 11 presidents had been as offshore balancer protecting smaller allies from potential regional hegemons.

What are the allies thinking now? Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines and other Pacific Rim friends are wondering where this America will be as China expands its reach and claims. The Gulf states are near panic as they see the United States playacting nuclear negotiations with Iran that, at best, will leave their mortal Shiite enemy just weeks away from the bomb.

America never sought the role that history gave it after World War II to bear unbidden burdens “to assure the survival and the success of liberty,” as movingly described by John Kennedy. We have an appropriate aversion to the stark fact that the alternative to U.S. leadership is either global chaos or dominance by the likes of China, Russia and Iran.

But Obama doesn’t even seem to recognize this truth. In his major Brussels address Wednesday, the very day Russia seized the last Ukrainian naval vessel in Crimea, Obama made vague references to further measures should Russia march deeper into Ukraine, while still emphasizing the centrality of international law, international norms and international institutions such as the United Nations.

Since: Mar 14

Orlando, FL

#1105480 Mar 28, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
you mean....then try to legislate canine behavior.
If that can be legislated, liberals will find a way.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1105481 Mar 28, 2014
Black Maggots wrote:
<quoted text>Obama is a pussi.
very few want any more wars predicated on measuring the length of America's c**k.

and it's not the liberal's fault that there's been some significant shrinkage over the last 15 years. any poll from across the ocean will bear it out.

so i'd say putting a condom on that thing is a very good idea.
Patrick

United States

#1105482 Mar 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is supposed to ask question #1....
Carol off Abortion yarn today ...Benghazi, He was born in Kenya, and "naked pictures" this weekend?

LOL
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1105485 Mar 28, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
"Nobody"
please provide exact quotes.
tia
yeah, i know. only FOX is allowed to exaggerate.

Orlando, FL

#1105486 Mar 28, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Six Million signed up for Obamacare and GOP will do nothing to repeal same
Now for yesterday Carol Yarn
Republicans do Nothing, when in power, on the issue of abortion.
The Republicans oppose abortion
during a campaign to fool the faithful ?
Since Row V Wade we have had :
President Reagan (R)
and President GHW Bush(R)
and President GW Bush(R) did little to ende abortion while in power.
Republicans when they controlled congress took no definitive action.
Libertarian wing of the GOP supports Abortion watch the posts of the libertarian troll on topix
It is just an issue to turn out voters ..
The two questions two other posters asked are still unanswered.

How many have paid? How many are on Medicare?

Jay Carney says no one in this administration knows. The truth is likely they don't want US to know.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1105487 Mar 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, ethylene glycol anti-freeze smells 'sweet' nad many animals have licked it up and died from that.
i'm glad you have that attitude. it certainly isn't the dog's fault. how do your other neighbors feel about these dogs/neighbors?
He owns the house beside me and rents it; he can't seem to keep tenants long though, he can be heard fighting with them, the recent woman called the police and took him to court for stalking her, she said just because I'm renting this house doesn't mean he can come into my yard everyday; it was getting ugly, she put a lock on the sprinklers, he cut it off. Then he put a lock on her gate so she couldn't get her car out! Then apparently he was putting trash in her trashcan, she told him to stop, the next morning he threw trash in her front yard
She moved out after 3 months.
A new neighbor moved in a few weeks ago, they seem quiet, I met the woman yesterday; she was walking her dog on a leash, I complimented her dog, that he was so quiet. She said she watches for when the nutcase isn't home and then walks her dog. I told her to be careful since that dog has bitten my daughters dog before.
The other neighbor across from him are his friends.
Patrick

United States

#1105488 Mar 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny coming from someone who only has repetitive snarky remarks and rarely a cohesive thought.
Republicans do nothing when in power regarding abortion.

Six Million signed for A C A

You predicted Romney would win.

TV is your source of News LOL

You were surprised that Hitler "had a dark side"....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1105489 Mar 28, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again Carol! The purpose of the wall of separation is not primarily to prevent the establishment of a national religion but prevent both the intrusion of government into religious practice and undue influence of religion in our laws or secular institutions like schools..
read the Constitution, you government slug.....

there is no "wall of separation", no separation of church and state. just an establishment clause.....and a guarantee of freedom to practice religion.....

the rest of your crap is a leftwing wet dream....
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1105490 Mar 28, 2014
Now It's Condoleezza Rice's Turn To Rally Americans For Another War

It's hard out there for a neoconservative, what with poll after poll showing that most Americans want no part of another military conflict. But rather than accept such war-weariness, the hawks are trying their best to mobilize the country again.

Condoleezza Rice did her part at a Republican fundraiser on Wednesday.

“I fully understand the sense of weariness," the former secretary of state under George W. Bush said, as quoted by the Washington Post. "I fully understand that we must think:‘Us, again?’ I know that we’ve been through two wars. I know that we’ve been vigilant against terrorism. I know that it’s hard. But leaders can’t afford to get tired. Leaders can’t afford to be weary.”

Rice's remarks came a week after Bill Kristol, the forever-bellicose and consistently wrong pundit, wrote that a "war-weary public can be awakened and rallied."

"Will no brave leader step forward to honorably awaken us from our unworthy sleep?" Kristol pleaded.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/condole...

so unless you're a paranoid FOXbot, you're unworthy.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#1105491 Mar 28, 2014
John Galt wrote:
Obama vs. Putin: The mismatch
By Charles Krauthammer, Published: March 27
“The United States does not view Europe as a battleground between East and West, nor do we see the situation in Ukraine as a zero-sum game. That’s the kind of thinking that should have ended with the Cold War.”
— Barack Obama, March 24.
Should. Lovely sentiment. As lovely as what Obama said five years ago to the United Nations:“No one nation can or should try to dominate another nation.”
That’s the kind of sentiment you expect from a Miss America contestant asked to name her fondest wish, not from the leader of the free world explaining his foreign policy.
The East Europeans know they inhabit the battleground between the West and a Russia that wants to return them to its sphere of influence. Ukrainians see tens of thousands of Russian troops across their border and know they are looking down the barrel of quite a zero-sum game.
Obama thinks otherwise. He says that Vladimir Putin’s kind of neo-imperialist thinking is a relic of the past — and advises Putin to transcend the Cold War.
Good God. Putin hasn’t transcended the Russian revolution. Did no one give Obama a copy of Putin’s speech last week upon the annexation of Crimea? Putin railed not only at Russia’s loss of empire in the 1990s. He went back to the 1920s:“After the revolution, the Bolsheviks&#8201;.&#82 01;.&#8201;. may God judge them, added large sections of the historical South of Russia to the Republic of Ukraine.” Putin was referring not to Crimea (which came two sentences later) but to his next potential target: Kharkiv and Donetsk and the rest of southeastern Ukraine.
Putin’s irredentist grievances go very deep. Obama seems unable to fathom them. Asked whether he’d misjudged Russia, whether it really is our greatest geopolitical foe, he disdainfully replied that Russia is nothing but “a regional power” acting “out of weakness.”
Where does one begin? Hitler’s Germany and Tojo’s Japan were also regional powers, yet managed to leave behind at least 50 million dead. And yes, Russia should be no match for the American superpower. Yet under this president, Russia has run rings around America, from the attempted ingratiation of the “reset” to America’s empty threats of “consequences” were Russia to annex Crimea.
Annex Crimea it did. For which the “consequences” have been risible. Numberless 19th- and 20th-century European soldiers died for Crimea. Putin conquered it in a swift and stealthy campaign that took three weeks and cost his forces not a sprained ankle. That’s “weakness”?
Indeed, Obama’s dismissal of Russia as a regional power makes his own leadership of the one superpower all the more embarrassing. For seven decades since the Japanese surrender, our role under 11 presidents had been as offshore balancer protecting smaller allies from potential regional hegemons.
What are the allies thinking now? Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines and other Pacifrld War II to bear unbidden burdens “to assure the survival and the success of liberty,” as movingly described by John Kennedy. We have an appropriate aversion to the stark fact that the alternative to U.S. leadership is e, the very day Russia seized the last Ukrainian naval vessel in Crimea, Obama made vague references to further measures should Russia march deeper into Ukraine, while still emphasizing the centrality of international law, international norms and international institutions such as the United Nations.
Krauthammer needs to get out in the real world...russia will not attempt to have another occupation debacle like Afghanistan...if areas are pro-russian, sure they will try to regain power over them..every one knew that when the soviet union first split, but they cannot hold an entire area like the Ukraine...

dealing with reality is what is needed here, not idiotic ideas of global chessgames...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1105492 Mar 28, 2014
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very cruel and inhumane...may it return to you three fold for even supporting such a thing.
Michael Vick understood the only use for pit bulls and that they should be caged at all times....

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#1105493 Mar 28, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
read the Constitution, you government slug.....
there is no "wall of separation", no separation of church and state. just an establishment clause.....and a guarantee of freedom to practice religion.....
the rest of your crap is a leftwing wet dream....
in fact, you had read it you would know there is a separation of church and state.

the two shall never be one...thus they will always be separated.

knowledge is fun!
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1105494 Mar 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree. It's always the owners - not the dogs - who should be punished. Sadly, these dogs must be put down. And the owners jail time.
Well, there is a leash law, it's just that this man thinks he owns the street and is defiant. I think he's pretty crazy so I don't speak to him, I don't even look at him.
When the dog charged at me last week, I called the police. As soon as the police left; he was madder than a hornet and promptly drove his filthy old pickup truck and parked in on my swale and stood in the street glaring at my house with hands on hips. I called the police again; the same cop came and yelled at him to get his truck off my property and tie up the dog. He did.
But, next day, same story. So that is the dilemma, the cop said he has to see the dog running loose, that he is allowed to have his dogs on his property, but there is nothing stopping them from leaving the yard. So, I'm going to get cameras so I can bust him in the act when he thinks I am not home. See what happens.
Everyone has dogs in this neighborhood, all walked with leashes, except him. He's just awful

Orlando, FL

#1105495 Mar 28, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
TV the Idiots lantern ... Carols university?
together with report from your friend shinny0racist,
you may be able to figure out why you LOST in 2008 and 2012.
You can also find mainstream news online now. FYI.

But please find me any source from any media news outlet where the numbers have been broken down of those who have "signed up".

Because it makes a big difference how many of the 6 million are actually paying. And how many young people are in the "paying" category. Even you must know they counted on a lot of young people paying more for health insurance when they are the healthiest among us.

It has to do with Obama's roots in Marxism and his redistribution thing.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1105496 Mar 28, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Carol off Abortion yarn today ...Benghazi, He was born in Kenya, and "naked pictures" this weekend?
LOL
Any naked pictures of President Obamas grandfather?
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1105497 Mar 28, 2014
Happy Friday everybody.

Very busy at work, we're hiring if anyone's looking.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#1105498 Mar 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Krauthammer needs to get out in the real world...russia will not attempt to have another occupation debacle like Afghanistan...if areas are pro-russian, sure they will try to regain power over them..every one knew that when the soviet union first split, but they cannot hold an entire area like the Ukraine...
dealing with reality is what is needed here, not idiotic ideas of global chessgames...
Of course who is Krauthammer compared to you when it comes to valid opinions. He is only a Pulitzer Prize-winning syndicated columnist, political commentator, and physician. How can he possibly compete intellectually with someone who runs a street sweeper!

Your arrogance is truly laughable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Coffee Party 207,442
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 min Go Blue Forever 101,406
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 7,278
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,570
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 57,183
NO corkscrew, open win bottle. 7 hr Dirty old man 6
Insane Popes 34th Hoyne Park (Nov '12) 7 hr Yetihw 34 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages