Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1579422 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1105716 Mar 28, 2014
American ethics on parade...

1975 and welfare...

Census...
450,000 families earning over $15k were receiving welfare -$1,342 avg.
(annual welfare earnings)
-$15K-$20 income range - 235,000 families recvd $1,655 avg/yr
-$20K-$25K income range - 102,000 families recvd $1,794 avg/yr
-$25K-$50K income range - 101,000 families recvd $1,188 avg/yr
-Over $50K income range - 12,000 families recvd $1,917 avg/yr

Anderson, M.(1978).'Welfare: The Political Economy of Welfare Reform in the United States'. Hoover Institute Press : California.

----------

avg price for a house in Jan 1975?

median $37,200...
avg $39,500...

http://www.census.gov/const/uspricemon.pdf
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1105717 Mar 28, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the fact is that parts of Southern California are very affordable....except for the confiscatory state income tax.....

What is cheaper in Calif, than in Pa.? Housing and rent is far more expensive, gas and electric is higher, I can't think of anything that is cheaper there than here in Virginia. The only good deal I ever got was buying the house in Tuscany Hills in Lake Elsinore it was a buyers market at that time and now it's quite a bit more valuable, But I still like to visit but not to live there. Although if we have many more winters like this I just might change my mind.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#1105718 Mar 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>clearly, i did just provide support of the facts.
all you need to do is show why this occupation of the ukraine would end any different than all other post WWII occupations of the like.
but i noticed you ran away from the facts and support for them ...once again...as always...
Clearly you do not understand the definition of facts or the difference between said facts and a question.

Now we are comparing the Ukraine to WWII? You were making the association earlier to Afghanistan. So which is it? One is certainly more applicable than the other. But it appears that you cannot tell the difference, or are just talking in circles like you have a habit of doing when pressed for facts and then demand answers to questions you pose after failing to supply your own positions.

Keep going though .... you'll work it out. I'm sure that you eventually post something with substance and possibly a fact to refute.

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#1105719 Mar 28, 2014
wunnerful..

ZERO COVERED DENTISTS WITHIN 100 MILES FOR MANDATORY DENTAL PLAN UNDER OBAMACARE

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/...

Since: May 11

Blain, PA

#1105720 Mar 28, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Opposition has shifted over the years since we had to pass it to find out what was in it.
As the people began to find out what was in it opposition remained consistent for various reason. The most vociferous opposition came when people realized they lost the Doctor and their policies.

So you got to vote??

If your Congressman was sofa king stupid or lazy that he could not read the bill or know what was in it after nearly a year debate then he must be dumber than sh*t.

The ACA had a section allowing policies in effect at the time ff the bill's passing to continue as long as they met certain guidelines..

If your policy was cancelled, its the fault of your insurance company, not the ACA.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1105721 Mar 28, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Opposition has shifted over the years since we had to pass it to find out what was in it.
As the people began to find out what was in it opposition remained consistent for various reason. The most vociferous opposition came when people realized they lost the Doctor and their policies.
You know as well as I that as of now there is so much pros and cons that from one day to the next a person don't know what to believe. I do know that we needed healthcare revamped it was long over due. I also know that Obama has invited the Republicans to work with him to help improve the parts that need improving. But thus far their only response is to repeal., and to me that isn't an option. IT also is obvious to me that as of now the Republicans only want to use it as a wedge until after the election meanwhile they spread their daily rumors that most have been shown to be just that. There have been a number of people that have shown to have lied. Personally I think that the Republicans have decided to live or die with Obamacare...Strictly political, no concern for the ones that need insurance or the needy.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1105722 Mar 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
Food prices are going up. Just FYI.
Later.
Grocery prices up .04% so far this year (industry estimates) much but not all of the, cough, spike due to the weather.

Did you expect food prices to go down now that the economy is rocking and rolling again???

Boston Whaler in Edgewater FLA is picking up enough orders to increase labor staffing by up to 300 persons. Boats are a good economic gauge.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1105723 Mar 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and you want keep living here why?
move, dear. pick up and move to a better neighborhood!
Have been living here a long time. He was always a little odd; I think when his wife left him he got worse. Nothing wrong with the neighborhood, it's a super location a mile from the beach so I know I seem to be obsessing about it, but for the most part I just ignore him
Probably better that way, I don't want it to escalate into something. If I can get him to keep his dogs leashed, that will be just fine. So if I can facilitate the cops catching the dog loose, he will be cited and then it will go to court and he'll have to leash the dogs. That's the way to do it.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1105724 Mar 28, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you do not understand the definition of facts or the difference between said facts and a question.
Now we are comparing the Ukraine to WWII? You were making the association earlier to Afghanistan. So which is it? One is certainly more applicable than the other. But it appears that you cannot tell the difference, or are just talking in circles like you have a habit of doing when pressed for facts and then demand answers to questions you pose after failing to supply your own positions.
Keep going though .... you'll work it out. I'm sure that you eventually post something with substance and possibly a fact to refute.
This may be splitting hairs but it is not the Ukraine, just Ukraine. You wouldn't sat the Russia or the Spain.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1105725 Mar 28, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Florida's sunshine laws are unforgiving__anything you say to law enforcement or provide to law enforcement is public record and you can be subpoenaed to testify in open court.
Yeah, I'm not going to get involved with that, leave it alone. I just want the dog on a leash and I'll keep reporting him till he gets cited. He looks like he's going off the deep end anyway.
dem

United States

#1105726 Mar 28, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
wunnerful..

ZERO COVERED DENTISTS WITHIN 100 MILES FOR MANDATORY DENTAL PLAN UNDER OBAMACARE

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/...
Won't effect you toothless idiots at all.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1105727 Mar 28, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
clearly you can't read, dude...

when you are able to read like an adult, you can debate like one...

what an ass!! why do you insist on making such a fool of yourself?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1105728 Mar 28, 2014
Welfare does not pay....

Really...

This is SEVERAL YEARS ago...

"The mother is well-organized. She buys food stamps twice a month, refused to live in a housing project, is a member of a community women's group a Catholic charities, and is studying for her high school diploma. Her bimonthly cash grant of $142; and her monthly savings from food stamps amount to $86. Her cash income may be given at $599 monthly, or $7,188 a year. If she and her family spent the average amount paid personally for health care in this country (and the mother gets some psychiatric care), this would amount at full costs to an additional $1,750 in health care expenses. Since there are no financial restrictions for this family on the use of health care, and the mother in intelligent and knowledgeable, one may assume that full use of this opportunity is taken. The three older children go to free of charge to an alternative school which costs paying pupils $2,000 a year, and another child goes to a day care center whose cost for a paying child would be $1,000 a year. Cash income and free health and educational services to this family amount to $16,028....
This family pays not taxes, and need put nothing aside for savings, as the welfare department is committed to meeting its needs. A working head of family would have to earn at least $20,000 to match this standard of living.
About three-fourths of the families in the United States have incomes of less than $20,000 a year."

Anderson, M.(1978).'Welfare: The Political Economy of Welfare Reform in the United States'. Hoover Institute Press : California.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1105729 Mar 28, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So you got to vote??
If your Congressman was sofa king stupid or lazy that he could not read the bill or know what was in it after nearly a year debate then he must be dumber than sh*t.
The ACA had a section allowing policies in effect at the time ff the bill's passing to continue as long as they met certain guidelines..
If your policy was cancelled, its the fault of your insurance company, not the ACA.
You can't even understand what you yourself typed. Here read this again from YOUR post "The ACA had a section allowing policies in effect at the time off the bill's passing to continue as long as they met certain guidelines.."

Dumbass!!!!!!!

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1105730 Mar 28, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice he said "2000 election"?
I assumed it was a typo but perhaps he really does harbor an unconscious wish that Bush had never been chosen by the Supreme Court as President.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1105731 Mar 28, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Grocery prices up .04% so far this year (industry estimates) much but not all of the, cough, spike due to the weather.
Did you expect food prices to go down now that the economy is rocking and rolling again???
Boston Whaler in Edgewater FLA is picking up enough orders to increase labor staffing by up to 300 persons. Boats are a good economic gauge.
Do people on welfare buy boats?

Who is buying these boats? What kind of boats?

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1105732 Mar 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush got America back on its feet after 9/11 within less than two years.
Bush had a Democrat-controlled Congress the last two years of his presidency. They didn't want to rein in Fannie and Freddie and thought we weren't spending enough.
We won the Iraq War in five years. Obama undid everything that was done and any progress that was being made in just a few months.
And he continues the war in Afghanistan - you know, the liberal media's invisible war. "Don't look at that war behind the curtain!"
All you are doing is parroting FOX News. Stop it!!! It makes you look like an ignorant lemming.
You need to learn to think for yourself.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1105733 Mar 28, 2014
Sunny California...

land of opportunity....

1999....a bit dated....

"Los Angeles County, with a total population of 9.6 million people, has the largest welfare population of any county in the United States..."

http://www.mdrc.org/sites/default/files/full_...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1105734 Mar 28, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Have been living here a long time. He was always a little odd; I think when his wife left him he got worse. Nothing wrong with the neighborhood, it's a super location a mile from the beach so I know I seem to be obsessing about it, but for the most part I just ignore him
Probably better that way, I don't want it to escalate into something. If I can get him to keep his dogs leashed, that will be just fine. So if I can facilitate the cops catching the dog loose, he will be cited and then it will go to court and he'll have to leash the dogs. That's the way to do it.
glad like it...or at least did. you talked of being afraid when you walk your dog in your own neighborhood, and a stalking type neighbor parked on your front lawn...

IDK...sounds like a place i'd move from...lots of beaches in Fla...

hope it all works out...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1105735 Mar 28, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Grocery prices up .04% so far this year (industry estimates) much but not all of the, cough, spike due to the weather.
anybody who has ever been inside a supermarket knows this is absolute bullshit.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 17 min General Lee 105,233
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr Alyssa76 11,163
What's the real story about Charlottsville? 11 hr DT made Un blink 10
Trump Just Sux 13 hr Izzy Mentlyel 124
last post wins! (Dec '10) 14 hr They cannot kill ... 3,203
last post wins! (Apr '13) 14 hr They cannot kill ... 2,604
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 hr WelbyMD 242,525

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages