Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1581335 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1101526 Mar 21, 2014
Hire the Gubbymint to run your business...

"Frank Todisco, chief actuary for the Government Accountability Office, told a House committee last week that the agency had $100 billion in debt and unfunded health benefit liabilities at the end of the last fiscal year."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/20/po...

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1101529 Mar 21, 2014
John Galt wrote:
Authorities in Washington State believe that a series of murders of prostitutes in 1990 were committed by Washington resident Douglas Perry. Now Perry has been captured and charged with the murders, but Douglas has become "Donna," a transgender woman who claims that she is not responsible for the murders because Douglas no longer exists.
Donna's novel defense is that as a male she was prone to violence so she had gender reassignment surgery in Thailand a few years ago in order to purge herself of those violent tendencies. Further, since she is now a woman, she is a wholly different person and therefore she isn't responsible for what her former male self did.
Donna was arrested for the murders in 2012 after being apprehended on an unrelated weapons charge. Police found that her fingerprints matched what had become a cold case in the murders of the three prostitutes decades ago.
If Donna’s defense were to be accepted by the courts, it could lead to unintended consequences for the transgender community as their former selves could possibly be universally considered mentally ill. This is a diagnosis that people with alternate lifestyles have been working hard to defeat for decades.
Funny. She claims she had the surgery to "purge herself of those violent tendencies" yet she was arrested on a weapons charge. Something does not compute.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1101531 Mar 21, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have made your opinion about catastrophic insurance well known. That isn't what we were discussing. We were discussing how Teaman, intentionally or unintentionally, lied about his daughter's coverage. It is a known fact that the cheapest form of health care is to let sick people die and, chances are, if you have catastrophic insurance your illness will be caught too late for a cure which does indeed save thousands in medical expenses.
You don't have a clue what you are talking about!!!

Since: May 11

Blain, PA

#1101532 Mar 21, 2014
flack wrote:
Grasping at straws to save their funding!!!!!!!
Climate change: The case of the missing heat
Sixteen years into the mysterious ‘global-warming hiatus’, scientists are piecing together an explanation.
Jeff Tollefson
15 January 2014
Article tools
PDFRights & Permissions
Tim Graham/Robert Harding Picture Library
The Pacific Ocean may hold the key to understanding why global warming has stalled.
The biggest mystery in climate science today may have begun, unbeknownst to anybody at the time, with a subtle weakening of the tropical trade winds blowing across the Pacific Ocean in late 1997. These winds normally push sun-baked water towards Indonesia. When they slackened, the warm water sloshed back towards South America, resulting in a spectacular example of a phenomenon known as El Niño. Average global temperatures hit a record high in 1998 — and then the warming stalled.
Waves from the Big Bang: Nature's special on the gravitational-wave revolution
How the spectacle seen on Venus differs from a rainbow
US mental-health institute mandates that clinical trials look beyond symptoms
For several years, scientists wrote off the stall as noise in the climate system: the natural variations in the atmosphere, oceans and biosphere that drive warm or cool spells around the globe. But the pause has persisted, sparking a minor crisis of confidence in the field. Although there have been jumps and dips, average atmospheric temperatures have risen little since 1998, in seeming defiance of projections of climate models and the ever-increasing emissions of greenhouse gases. Climate sceptics have seized on the temperature trends as evidence that global warming has ground to a halt. Climate scientists, meanwhile, know that heat must still be building up somewhere in the climate system, but they have struggled to explain where it is going, if not into the atmosphere. Some have begun to wonder whether there is something amiss in their models.
Now, as the global-warming hiatus enters its sixteenth year, scientists are at last making headway in the case of the missing heat. Some have pointed to the Sun, volcanoes and even pollution from China as potential culprits, but recent studies suggest that the oceans are key to explaining the anomaly. The latest suspect is the El Niño of 1997–98, which pumped prodigious quantities of heat out of the oceans and into the atmosphere — perhaps enough to tip the equatorial Pacific into a prolonged cold state that has suppressed global temperatures ever since.
“The 1997 to ’98 El Niño event was a trigger for the changes in the Pacific, and I think that’s very probably the beginning of the hiatus,” says Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado. According to this theory, the tropical Pacific should snap out of its prolonged cold spell in the coming years.“Eventually,” Trenberth says,“it will switch back in the other direction.”
Flacktard, grasping at straws to justify his denial of Man Made Global Warming because he is afraid it might cost him an extra nickel to do something about it.
CO2 & the greenhouse effect are not the sole driver of global temperatures.
Everyone except you fricken right whiners seem to understand this.
Increased greenhouse gases increase the greenhouse effect.
This is fact.
If there is increased particles in the atmosphere, then it might mask that greenhouse effect.
If there is less solar heating, the it might mask the greenhouse effect.
It does not mean that man, by pumping more & more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, is not contributing to the greenhouse effect.
t does not mean the science behind MMGW is not real.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1101533 Mar 21, 2014
Do you want these people in charge of your insurance?

they can't even manage a couple dozen contracts?

"Twenty-four national contracts totaling more than $506 million were awarded for Job Corps during the 5-year period ending December 31, 2012. We found that adequate sole source justification was not provided for contracts totaling $353 million, key contracting
documentation was not maintained for contracts totaling $38 million, and claimed costs were not validated as required for contracts totaling $335 million.."

http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/reports/oa/2013...

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1101534 Mar 21, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I giess using an example is just beyond your mental ability.
When you demand a photo ID to vote when 90% of eligible voters already have a photo drivers license, you are making that demand only on those without an ID.
Just like if I were to promote free ice cream to wheelchair bound people, I would promote it to a certain group.
When I make wheelchair bound people get up two flights of steps, it is no different than you making people who do not drive get 10 - 15 miles to a Photo ID center in areas without public transportation.
You are just blinded by your desire to cheat to win elections basically admitting your party has no ideas & has a record of poor governing agendas ( i.e. Bush)
this explains how brainwashed Dave is

"When you demand a photo ID to vote when 90% of eligible voters already have a photo drivers license, you are making that demand only on those without an ID."

that makes NO sense. If I demand an id from everyone, everyone has to show an, not just those without an id. Dave, there's plenty of room in emanland, come on over.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1101535 Mar 21, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a very distorted view of Fox but have no problem with the mainstream media not doing their jobs and holding those in power accountable if they have a D by their name.
Why is that?
distorted? me?

A month after Election Day, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus commissioned a report about what had gone wrong. The study’s authors did not cite Fox News by name, but they made clear that they thought the network’s polemical programming aimed at the Republican base was a major part of the problem.“The Republican Party needs to stop talking to itself,” they wrote.“We have become expert in how to provide ideological reinforcement to like-minded people, but devastatingly we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us.”

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014...

FOX is just preaching to the choir by holding everyone accountable but Republicans.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1101536 Mar 21, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I giess using an example is just beyond your mental ability.
When you demand a photo ID to vote when 90% of eligible voters already have a photo drivers license, you are making that demand only on those without an ID.
Just like if I were to promote free ice cream to wheelchair bound people, I would promote it to a certain group.
When I make wheelchair bound people get up two flights of steps, it is no different than you making people who do not drive get 10 - 15 miles to a Photo ID center in areas without public transportation.
You are just blinded by your desire to cheat to win elections basically admitting your party has no ideas & has a record of poor governing agendas ( i.e. Bush)
"When I make wheelchair bound people get up two flights of steps, it is no different than you making people who do not drive get 10 - 15 miles to a Photo ID center in areas without public transportation."

how do these folks get to doctors spots, lab work, etc? Try giving your fellow Americans a bit more credit.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1101537 Mar 21, 2014
Do you want these people in charge of your insurance?

Then can't even maintain the buildings they work in....

"Our audit found Job Corps did not always ensure center
maintenance deficiencies were repaired in a timely
manner, exposing students, staff, and visitors to
potential safety and health hazards. This included 807
of 1,405 (57 percent) critical maintenance deficiencies
involving life, safety, and health issues not repaired for
more than one year, and 718 maintenance deficiencies
that had been funded and not repaired for more than
one year, totaling $29.5 million."

http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/reports/oa/2013...

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1101538 Mar 21, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well yea!. That's the point. She had a plan she liked and tailored to her own particular needs. They can be customized. Some control freak do gooder comes along and tells her what she needs. She doesn't need things like maternity care. The replacement plan offered after Obamacare quadrupled in cost. The plan in the exchange doubled her cost and only dropped the deductible a thousand. I'm waiting to see if she can find a participating doctor.
Face it. She liked it because it was cheap and she didn't want to give up her daily latte to pay for good insurance. Ignorant, irresponsible people die young.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1101539 Mar 21, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Commissioned officer...
You and I BOTH know that if you give ONE PRIVATE a benefit and EXCLUDE another in a military unit it will NOT BE Good for UNIT moral.
the PT test is used for promotions....so if a man were to miss his SGT stripe by one or two pull-ups and a women gets the promotion by doing two WHOLE pull-ups you think unit moral will be hunky dory?
Gen Sinclair would disagree with you son.....

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1101540 Mar 21, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The next time you get asked for ID, just recite your SSN & see how far that gets you.
try getting health insurance from an exchange without that id number. Try filing your taxes without that id number.

really Dave, quit being an a$$.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1101542 Mar 21, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
You've never hunted wild hogs, have you. A "clean kill shot", with your dogs swarming everywhere is pretty risky business. Poking them in the jugular while the dogs have them stretched out is both efficient and expedient. Plus, it's exhilaration at it's finest, almost primordial. Surely you can relate?
sounds like your dogs are doing the hunting..you're just the butcher...

that's not hunting.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1101543 Mar 21, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is showing again.
You can buy policies on the exchanges without qualifying for a subsidy & still save significant money. Evidently, you did not know this.
I do not get a subsidy. I said that before & you are lying.
bull Dave. Not only you, but you steered your employees to the exchanges as well.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1101544 Mar 21, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Flacktard, grasping at straws to justify his denial of Man Made Global Warming because he is afraid it might cost him an extra nickel to do something about it.
CO2 & the greenhouse effect are not the sole driver of global temperatures.
Everyone except you fricken right whiners seem to understand this.
Increased greenhouse gases increase the greenhouse effect.
This is fact.
If there is increased particles in the atmosphere, then it might mask that greenhouse effect.
If there is less solar heating, the it might mask the greenhouse effect.
It does not mean that man, by pumping more & more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, is not contributing to the greenhouse effect.
t does not mean the science behind MMGW is not real.
So if I am poor, and cannot afford the more expensive CFL bulbs do I get a waiver?
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1101545 Mar 21, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> You don't have a clue what you are talking about!!!
Don't have a clue? Now there's a subject you are all to familiar with.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1101546 Mar 21, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
Signs the Progressive 'you did not build that' economy is on fire!
the Post Office!!!!!
"U.S. Postal Service to reduce workforce by 10,000 in 2015"
http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/03/us_postal_ser...
lol! You sewem to be confused again, son. Are you advocating they be put back under the government and not be self sufficient son?

After all, they are mandated under the Constitution!

See people, this is what happens when politics takes the pole and thinking falls to the second spot!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1101547 Mar 21, 2014
You want these people to do anything for you?

they fail in helping kids/adults a phrekkin GED/Diploma....

"Job Corps centers did not consistently meet Job Corps’
established Career Technical Training (CTT) program
completion and High School Development/General
Educational Development Certificate (HSD/GED)
attainment goals. "

http://www.oig.dol.gov/public/reports/oa/2012...

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#1101548 Mar 21, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
'If they can't pass the test, they don't qualify for that particular job in the unit.'
Can you not read? The marines are lowering the standards to allow women to 'meet the standard'.
Or....the Soviet Olympic Weightlifting team drops Vasiliy Ivanovich Alekseyev and takes Anna Kournikova instead...
Think you'd better check the list of jobs, Moonunit. BTW, I think Anna could do an excellent job in her weight class.
dem

United States

#1101549 Mar 21, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>So if I am poor, and cannot afford the more expensive CFL bulbs do I get a waiver?
How about a ki ck in the azz instead

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Rose of Tralee 105,236
News 2 dead, 6 others wounded during city shootings (Aug '16) 5 hr Truth1 3
Trump Just Sux 5 hr Stevie Wonder 129
News Chicago won't see eclipse spectacle of Carbonda... 5 hr Real Faxt 1
News Midwest travel: Chicago Children's Museum gets ... 5 hr Real Faxt 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Lincoln Square 5 hr Meso 4
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr ImPeach 242,535

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages