Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1374363 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Tell us more

Atlanta, GA

#1093591 Mar 8, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Another libtard that can't read. Seems to be a pattern here.
You know what else seems to be a pattern here? Juvenile name calling and personal insults. Mainly from you.You just can't help yourself. Because you've got nothing else. Did you leave your brains at the bar last night? GTFU.

Since: Jan 11

Bordentown, NJ

#1093592 Mar 8, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather smoke dope and work than live in Oklahoma.
"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma"
Lincoln

United States

#1093594 Mar 8, 2014
Tell us more wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep looking at that very small dot on the big picture while the rest of the country bears witness to the biggest political sideshow in recent history. Watching the CPAC convention is like being a voyeur in a mental institution. You lose. Watching the CPAC convention is like being a voyeur in a mental institution. Party on Garth.
Carol remains amusing

Since: Feb 14

Waukesha, WI

#1093596 Mar 8, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text> Don't you just hate it when the US Constitution gets in the way of your personal, political agenda?
Ask your president.

Judges from both sides of the aisle make stupid rulings every day. To claim there's no concrete evidence linking drug use and poverty is stupid.

¨There is no denying the fact that people living in poverty are more likely to experiment with drugs. However, the opposite also holds true. People who abuse drugs are more likely to be poor.¨

http://drugandalcoholdependence.wordpress.com...
Lincoln

United States

#1093597 Mar 8, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the whole thing. The majority now identify themselves as Independents - as the reality of in, joblessness among the ntinues to stagnate and student loans can't be paid back without a job, they will start leaning more center right like their fellow adependents.
LOL

Still in the Bush Republican Depression of 2008

President Bush Speaks on Ailing Economy
Oct. 10, 2008
By MARTHA RADDATZ, LISA CHINN, JON GARCIA and KATE BARRETT
Martha Raddatz More from Martha »
Senior Foreign Affairs Correspondent

President Bush tried to reassure the nation today that the economy is strong enough to weather the current crisis, but by the time Bush stopped speaking nine minutes later, the market had dropped another 107 points.
The president's encouraging words have historically been able to boost the market, but in the current economic crisis, Bush's ability to instill confidence has been mixed at best.
Speaking after the Dow opened down 200 points this morning and as the numbers continued to drop, this morning's address marked the 10th time the president has spoken on the issue since news of the bailout plan first surfaced.
Following the previous nine times the president specifically addressed the economic crisis, the market ended the day on an upturn on five occasions and closed down the other four.
This morning the president told Americans that "the United States government is acting; we will continue to act to resolve this crisis and restore stability to our markets."
"We are a prosperous nation with immense resources and a wide range of tools at our disposal," he said. "We're using these tools aggressively."
Despite repeated assurances to Americans that they should be confident and that economic officials are aggressively taking action to stabilize the financial system, things haven't been improving.
Friday morning began on a gloomy note, and immediately following the president's speech, negative patterns were apparent. The Dow was down 78.70 at the beginning of the president's statement but dropped to 185.66 by the end of his address.
The Dow dipped Friday morning below the 8000 mark for the first time since March 2003, and overnight global markets in Asia and Europe experienced more sharp drops.
--

Bordentown, NJ

#1093598 Mar 8, 2014
Edward Dean wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummmm... no. nope... that's not it at all. It's about finding laundered money. Where better to look but in your pockets?
Nope, nope, laundered money would be stimulus money to Solyndra Obama bundlers.

Maybe we should look into union tax exempt status.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1093600 Mar 8, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Squashing opposition? You've been hitting the okolehao too much, brudda. The IRS scandal is about squashing the opposition along with leaking donor information and auditing people like Ben Carson or anyone else who criticizes the Fuhrer.
lol! You mean, it's only a scandal for reich wingers but acceptable for non cons?

Like I said son, squashing the opposition. So grow up.....

" Tuesday, May 14, 2013 06:32 AM HST
When the IRS targeted liberals
Under George W. Bush, it went after the NAACP, Greenpeace and even a liberal church
Alex Seitz-Wald

While few are defending the Internal Revenue Service for targeting dozens of conservative groups, there are two critical pieces of context missing from the conventional wisdom on the “scandal.” First, at least from what we know so far, the groups were not targeted in a political vendetta — but rather were executing a makeshift enforcement test (an ugly one, mind you) for IRS employees tasked with separating political groups not allowed to claim tax-exempt status, from bona fide social welfare organizations. Employees are given almost zero official guidance on how to do that, so they went after Tea Party groups because those seemed like they might be political. Keep in mind, the commissioner of the IRS at the time was a Bush appointee.

The second is that while this is the first time this kind of thing has become a national scandal, it’s not the first time such activity has occurred.

“I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration, where they audited a progressive church in my district in what look liked a very selective way,” California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said on MSNBC Monday.“I found only one Republican,[North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones], that would join me in calling for an investigation during the Bush administration. I’m glad now that the GOP has found interest in this issue and it ought to be a bipartisan concern.”

The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election.“Jesus [would say],‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.

The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration.“My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.

And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints,“a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1093601 Mar 8, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're party already has looked into it son.

But that pesky Constitution keeps getting in the way of your goals!
Patriot

Erie, CO

#1093602 Mar 8, 2014
Recent U.S. snowstorms found to contain elements of entomological Warfare being conducted on American populace

http://intellihub.com/recent-u-s-snowstorms-f...

Bordentown, NJ

#1093603 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, he was wrong. half of those 47% are republican. they would vote for him no matter what...and most likely did.
well, maybe not half, there are independents int here also...but just as many of them are republicans as democrats...
The tax was part of it. About 47% are said to be dependent on government in some way, even big money people who keep animals on there property for a farm subsidy. But, they probably voted for him knowing he wouldn't do much about that.

Waukesha, WI

#1093604 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet as i have clearly shown you...there is no scandal outside of some leaked info.
the IRS was just doing what they should for that tax status applications.
Right. No scandal, no corruption, nothing out of order. Just a former high ranking IRS official repeatedly invoking her 5th Amendment right just for the hell of it.

But hey, she cleared things up with her pals in the DOJ, right?(wink, wink, nudge, nudge, hardy har har)

Keep calling people stupid, stupid. The only thing you've ¨clearly shown¨ is that you're a partisan stooge.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1093605 Mar 8, 2014
In_Cold_Blood wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask your president.
Judges from both sides of the aisle make stupid rulings every day. To claim there's no concrete evidence linking drug use and poverty is stupid.
¨There is no denying the fact that people living in poverty are more likely to experiment with drugs. However, the opposite also holds true. People who abuse drugs are more likely to be poor.¨
http://drugandalcoholdependence.wordpress.com...
Hey, numb in the head. You obviously can't read It's a Constitutional issue.

Geez, it's amazing you idiots claim to know what the Constitution means without any understanding.

But on the good side, I'm impressed with your stupdity!

Waukesha, WI

#1093606 Mar 8, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when Solyndra’s CEO labeled Obama’s administration “The Bank of Washington.”

¨Chris Gronet offered the description in an internal email one year before the company collapsed in 2010, costing taxpayers roughly $500 million.¨
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1093607 Mar 8, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Romney was right. 47% wouldn't vote for him no matter what he did.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
lol!... and he was also right that he didn't care about those who didn't vote for him too!

And that son, it much more important here in America!

Bordentown, NJ

#1093609 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>do they tell you you were born there?
LOL, I really don't remember.

Bordentown, NJ

#1093611 Mar 8, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! You mean, it's only a scandal for reich wingers but acceptable for non cons?
Like I said son, squashing the opposition. So grow up.....
" Tuesday, May 14, 2013 06:32 AM HST
When the IRS targeted liberals
Under George W. Bush, it went after the NAACP, Greenpeace and even a liberal church
Alex Seitz-Wald
While few are defending the Internal Revenue Service for targeting dozens of conservative groups, there are two critical pieces of context missing from the conventional wisdom on the “scandal.” First, at least from what we know so far, the groups were not targeted in a political vendetta — but rather were executing a makeshift enforcement test (an ugly one, mind you) for IRS employees tasked with separating political groups not allowed to claim tax-exempt status, from bona fide social welfare organizations. Employees are given almost zero official guidance on how to do that, so they went after Tea Party groups because those seemed like they might be political. Keep in mind, the commissioner of the IRS at the time was a Bush appointee.
The second is that while this is the first time this kind of thing has become a national scandal, it’s not the first time such activity has occurred.
“I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration, where they audited a progressive church in my district in what look liked a very selective way,” California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said on MSNBC Monday.“I found only one Republican,[North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones], that would join me in calling for an investigation during the Bush administration. I’m glad now that the GOP has found interest in this issue and it ought to be a bipartisan concern.”
The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election.“Jesus [would say],‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.
The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration.“My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.
And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints,“a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes...."
No difference between the two parties, eh, brudda. Nixon was the worst. But, go ahead and play that party game. Time for a flat tax.

Bordentown, NJ

#1093614 Mar 8, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol!... and he was also right that he didn't care about those who didn't vote for him too!
And that son, it much more important here in America!
He didn't say he didn't care about [them]. He didn't care about their vote. He wasn't going to get it no matter what. More or less wrote those votes off. He did run a crappy campaign.

Bordentown, NJ

#1093616 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet as i have clearly shown you...there is no scandal outside of some leaked info.
the IRS was just doing what they should for that tax status applications.. why did they do it to progressive and occupy groups if you think it was about any opposition? the facts just don't add up to your conspiracy hopes yet you are still posting the lies about it...
The difference is the progressive groups received their status while the conservative groups never did. You know, I think it's time to look into that union 501 (c)(5) status. Would the IRS be doing their job if that were to happen with a right winger in office?

Bordentown, NJ

#1093617 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no dear....the 47% number is the people who pay no FIT (Federal Income Tax)
you should get your facts straight on the issue before claiming someone was right or wrong..
and as for people who use gov't assistance, which Romney went on to incorrectly blame on that same 47%, that also includes equal numbers from both major parties...
most of the farm subsidies go to commodities market stabilization and federal crop insurance subsidies. without those, no family farms would still be around....almost any farmer uses gov't assistance on one, if not both of these ways...
(probably not the small organic farmers selling to local markets and such...just so they don't jump on my back...)
Yes, that 47% would be the federal income tax. Romney wasn't running for governor.

Bordentown, NJ

#1093618 Mar 8, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no dear....the 47% number is the people who pay no FIT (Federal Income Tax)
you should get your facts straight on the issue before claiming someone was right or wrong..
and as for people who use gov't assistance, which Romney went on to incorrectly blame on that same 47%, that also includes equal numbers from both major parties...
most of the farm subsidies go to commodities market stabilization and federal crop insurance subsidies. without those, no family farms would still be around....almost any farmer uses gov't assistance on one, if not both of these ways...
(probably not the small organic farmers selling to local markets and such...just so they don't jump on my back...)
What does that have to do with rich fake farmers milking the system?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 min Doug77 8,058
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 min Into The Night 58,803
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Woj 212,891
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 25 min TRD 70,434
Word (Dec '08) 29 min boundary painter 5,965
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 35 min boundary painter 520
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 41 min boundary painter 493
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Sublime1 101,715
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages