Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1252368 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1087069 Feb 26, 2014
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY STUPID!
How is Sweden doing? Just fine?
ROTFLAMO!!!!
Sweden has been doing better than the United States since Bush's second term in office. "Its debt, as a proportion of the economy, is now about half that of the United States."

August 29, 2013:

"Sweden’s economic growth has been much higher than that of the rest of Western Europe, or the United States, since 2006. Data from the International Monetary Fund and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development show that Sweden has one of the lowest inflation rates in Europe; it runs a budget surplus every year; its corporate tax rates are considerably lower than U.S. rates; and it spends more on research and development, as a share of its economy, than we do. Its firms are highly competitive in the world economy, and it runs sizable current-account surpluses."

Yet, "Sweden remains a social welfare society, and government spending still accounts for half of its economy; it finances all education and health care."

I'd say they are doing just fine compared to the United States.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1087070 Feb 26, 2014
One of the few recorded histories of an African in America that we can glean from early court records is that of "Antonio the negro," as he was named in the 1625 Virginia census. He was brought to the colony in 1621. At this time, English and Colonial law did not define racial slavery; the census calls him not a slave but a "servant." Later, Antonio changed his name to Anthony Johnson, married an African American servant named Mary, and they had four children. Mary and Anthony also became free, and he soon owned land and cattle and even indentured servants of his own. By 1650, Anthony was still one of only 400 Africans in the colony among nearly 19,000 settlers. In Johnson's own county, at least 20 African men and women were free, and 13 owned their own homes.

In 1640, the year Johnson purchased his first property, three servants fled a Virginia plantation. Caught and returned to their owner, two had their servitude extended four years. However, the third, a black man named John Punch, was sentenced to "serve his said master or his assigns for the time of his natural life." He was made a slave.
• Virginia recognizes slavery
• Virginia slave codes
• Colonial laws

Traditionally, Englishmen believed they had a right to enslave a non-Christian or a captive taken in a just war. Africans and Indians might fit one or both of these definitions. But what if they learned English and converted to the Protestant church? Should they be released from bondage and given "freedom dues?" What if, on the other hand, status were determined not by (changeable ) religious faith but by (unchangeable) skin color?
• Virginia looks toward
Africa for labor

In 1670 Virginia seized Johnson's land...

This disorder that the indentured servant system had created made racial slavery to southern slaveholders much more attractive, because what were black slaves now? Well, they were a permanent dependent labor force, who could be defined as a people set apart. They were racially set apart. They were outsiders. They were strangers and in many ways throughout the world, slavery has taken root, especially where people are considered outsiders and can be put in a permanent status of slavery.
- David Blight, historian

Also, the indentured servants, especially once freed, began to pose a threat to the property-owning elite. The colonial establishment had placed restrictions on available lands, creating unrest among newly freed indentured servants. In 1676, working class men burned down Jamestown, making indentured servitude look even less attractive to Virginia leaders. Also, servants moved on, forcing a need for costly replacements; slaves, especially ones you could identify by skin color, could not move on and become free competitors.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1087071 Feb 26, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe dumbass Republicans in Congress should address the families of over 4000 dead soldiers why they were sent to Iraq. So far they were told WMDs, Links to Al Qaeda, Spreading Democracy, or was it about oil.
I find you total assh*les to be such a f*cking joke ranting & having a fit about Benghazi where 4 people died and yet say absolutely nothing when your hero George W Bush sent 40000 soldiers to their deaths in a made up war based on lies.
My God, they weren't even given properly armored vehicles & body armor.
You people are a bunch of sick f*cks who ignored the travesty in Iraq while lying to make up a false issue in Benghazi.
There is no excuse for you people.
Maybe you can't read, as someone pointed out earlier. I have no problem with parents trying to find out what actually happened to their children. Liberals like you do. This isn't about Benghazi: The tragic event marks the single largest loss of life in Navy SEAL and Special Forces history, and it was allowed to happen as a direct result of Administration policies, a lack of mission readiness, and suicidal ROE (Rules of Engagement) which adds considerable threat to our brave young men and women ordered into harm’s way.

The article also crucifies Issa and his dog and pony-certainly you would want to jump on that bandwagon? no?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1087072 Feb 26, 2014

In 1641, Massachusetts became the first colony to legally recognize slavery. Other states, such as Virginia, followed. In 1662, Virginia decided all children born in the colony to a slave mother would be enslaved. Slavery was not only a life-long condition; now it could be passed, like skin color, from generation to generation.

In 1665, Anthony Johnson moved to Maryland and leased a 300-acre plantation, where he died five years later. But back in Virginia that same year, a jury decided the land Johnson left behind could be seized by the government because he was a "negroe and by consequence an alien." In 1705 Virginia declared that "All servants imported and brought in this County... who were not Christians in their Native Country... shall be slaves. A Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves ... shall be held to be real estate."
• Court document regarding Anthony Johnson

• Royal African Company established
English suppliers responded to the increasing demand for slaves. In 1672, England officially got into the slave trade as the King of England chartered the Royal African Company, encouraging it to expand the British slave trade. In 1698, the English Parliament ruled that any British subject could trade in slaves. Over the first 50 years of the 18th century, the number of Africans brought to British colonies on British ships rose from 5,000 to 45,000 a year. England had passed Portugal and Spain as the number one trafficker of slaves in the world.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1087073 Feb 26, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> They are all big government RINOs. Something the TEA Party will never stand for. I'm not a teapartier but I agree with much they stand for. Just because you have an R beside your name doesn't mean you are a conservative. Something you libtards never, ever learn!
Twilight of the Right

When conservatism became a movement, it lost its soul.

....Sam Tanenhaus in his 2009 study The Death of Conservatism recalls how in 1968 William F. Buckley Jr. lamented the New Left’s attacks on Lyndon Johnson for his prosecution of the Vietnam War.“We are being invited” by LBJ’s critics, Buckley wrote,“to despise not merely Johnson’s policies, not merely Johnson’s style, but Johnson’s person. And to feel proud of ourselves for doing so.”

Movement conservatives, as long as I have known them, have exhibited precisely the same attitudes toward those with whom they disagree. The objects of their scorn, moreover, increase in number by the month. So does the intensity of their disdain. The Great Recession, of course, has made Americans jittery, and on top of concerns about terrorism these anxieties have made it easier for demagogues to inflame otherwise decent people already troubled by the condition of public education, changes in the family, the costs of medical care, and the arrival immigrant job seekers who have not gone through proper bureaucratic channels.

All this unseemly rabble-rousing has been possible thanks in part to changes in the news business. Some of these changes are to be welcomed. But the availability of alternative sources of information and opinion has also created new opportunities for alarmists who had once been unlikely to build much of a following. The idea that any of the Breitbart clones could have been published in the National Review of the 1970s seems laughable. Buckley had his clones, too, and some of the young conservatives of 40 years ago could be mannered, pretentious, and even sort of embarrassing to be around. But at least they were not guilty of the labored frat-boy jokiness of the Washington Free Beacon.

It’s of historic importance that the most thoughtful observers among American conservatives—those whose essays do not read like Viguerie’s fundraising letters—have little or no truck with the movement. They don’t even write for its publications. Their work is more likely to appear elsewhere, even in the dread “liberal media,” and they are deeply distrusted by the movement that claims a right to define what is conservative and what is not. Rod Dreher, Andrew Sullivan, Conor Friedersdorf, and Bill Kauffman are mostly ignored. They raise concerns that movement types don’t want to think about. People who say interesting things, as Bruce Bartlett can tell you, get drummed out of the ranks, which is why people likely to have anything of much value to offer don’t enlist. That still strikes me as a peculiar atmosphere for a movement that claims to stand for individual freedom, but decade after decade that is the air they breathe.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...

oh sure, tea party. wave of the future based on the past.

not hard to see why some (R)s are getting away with targeting tea party candidates as too extreme to be in office.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1087074 Feb 26, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
This is more than just a shallow politician making shallow politics.
The date of implementation of the mandate is specifically written into the ObamaKare law.
To change that date, the law must be changed.
The only thing that can change a law is a subsequent law. The President doesn't have the authority to write his own laws to suit a political whim.
This is Obama assuming he is some kind of dictator of the United States and writing his own laws.
A clearer case for impeachment and conviction doesn't exist. And, we have RINO saboteurs leading the House....
Perhaps someone with more money than me has taken the Jackal to court over this but I haven't heard of it yet. The silence is killing me.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1087075 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Who worked for Il Duce, doofus.
wow! you mus think Obama is ahe can flip people from being lifelong republicans in year or two...

does he have some magic Kenyan evil eye?

you idiots crack me up with your ignorance and stupidity...

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1087076 Feb 26, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
cite the estimate.
Let's try this again, moron.

Let's try this again.
To answer the post, you have to put a number in your post.
What is your estimate of how many people will lose their health insurance when the employer mandate is made effective?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1087077 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant to Il Duce's attempt at fascism.
lol

such a learned response. it's almost intellectually intimidating.

almost.

Prevented this

#1087078 Feb 26, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Keystone Pipeline is owned by TRANSCANADA, a privately owned, Canadian Corporation. Their pipeline is a farce and does not benefit America.
O'bama is a farce and does not benefit America. But I am still waiting for the Couture house that makes 'stretchy pants'. Have you found it yet?

St. Croix valley

#1087079 Feb 26, 2014
oops!^ you must think obama is so powerful that he can...^

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1087080 Feb 26, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Keystone Pipeline is owned by TRANSCANADA, a privately owned, Canadian Corporation. Their pipeline is a farce and does not benefit America.
The company Obama paid to build the 50 million dollar website for ObmaKare that they couldn't build it with a billion dollars that Michelle's classmate at Princeton sits on the board of and was fired by the Canadian government for not being able to build a website for them with a hundred million dollar cost overrun that we are still paying to fix the website they couldn't build is a Canadian company, you moron.

You have to be the most ignorant person here.... except for ghostie pretending to live in Hawaii.

St. Croix valley

#1087081 Feb 26, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick a statement and tell us why you think that statemen tis inaccurate.
The United States was the first nation created where the people are not subjects of any government, and the government is a subject of the people.
The people of the United States are guaranteed the right to speak their mind, have a free press, choose their own religion, arm themselves and defend their own individual rights, are free from the government spying on them without evidence of a crime, and can have their life or property taken from them only by due process of law.
(fast forward to the last half of the 20th century)
The Democrats begin the Cold War with the conviction of Alger Hiss while spying for the enemy of the United States.
The Democrats openly join the enemy of the United States during the Cold War.
The Democrats invent a system of lies about Vietnam to slander the veterans and country, and indoctrinate the entire country with it.
The Democrats invent a system of lies about the Cold War front in Central America and indoctrinate the coutry with it.
9/11
The Democrats support the front in Iraq in the war the Arab Islamists started.
The Democrats invent a system of lies about the war the Arab Islamist terrorists started and indoctrinate the country with it.
The Democrats obtain the Presidency and use the office of President to rebel against the Constitutional Republic of the United States.
The Democrats install a dictatorship where the President writes his own laws to suit political whim.
The Democrats join the enemy in the war the Arab Islamist terrorists started and sabotage Afghanistan and Iraq.
The Democrats give Arab Islamist terrorists in Saudi Arabia "special traveller" status to enter United States without scrutiny.
The Democrats give visas to terrorists with "limited" known contact with known terrorists groups.
I'm sure there are other events you can add to this abreviated list.
why do you think your whackjob posts are even worthy of a response? i have proven so many of them false, as i have clearly and verifiably pointed out earlier today..

why should anyone even listen to you ever again, seeing what bullshit you have posted in the past? seriously...why?

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1087082 Feb 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
oops!^ you must think obama is so powerful that he can...^
That would be the Marxist communist Valerie Jarrett, the actual President.

Prevented this

#1087083 Feb 26, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
I want to know how the Taliban knew exactly where the "secret" mission was going so they could have a Taliban waiting there for them with a rocket launcher.
I want to know why they were put in some junk helicopter the Huey-- that few Vietnam soldiers wouldn't even fly in because the bullets would come through the floor, there was no armor piercing on it. If they were forced to fly in it in Nam they would sit on their helmets. And not only that there were two black boxes on all of these contraptions-one in the front by the pilots and one in the back-I am sitting beside a Special Ops Vet now and he is explaining it-and yet the O'bama people lied over something so simple as 'the only black box was destroyed. mmmm mmmm mmmm.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1087084 Feb 26, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps someone with more money than me has taken the Jackal to court over this but I haven't heard of it yet. The silence is killing me.
There is silence because the RINOs are obstructing any opposition to the Democrat agenda, and nothing is happening.
Rand Paul has to sue in court because the leaders in both Houses of Congress are sabotaging all opposition to the Democrats' unconstitutional agenda.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1087085 Feb 26, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain to us why Lois Lerner proclaimed the 5th Amendment right to not incriminate herself of committing a felony inside the IRS.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Since the IRS went to the White House over 160 times, tell us how the White House doesn't have a clue what's happening in the IRS.
Who are you trying to fool? People with "inquiring minds" seek facts, information, or knowledge. Like any conspiracy theorists, you are indifferent to anything that doesn't support the lunatic fringe.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1087086 Feb 26, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try this again, moron.
Let's try this again.
To answer the post, you have to put a number in your post.
What is your estimate of how many people will lose their health insurance when the employer mandate is made effective?
just like you i can't say for sure. but here's what i know....

Obamacare is disproportionately hurting Republicans and conservatives

My Post colleague Sean Sullivan makes a very good point today: For all the certainty among Republicans that the collapse of Obamacare is a certain winner for them, a very small percentage of Americans say they’ve actually been negatively impacted by the law.

He points to a Gallup poll this week finding that only 19 percent of Americans say the law has hurt them or their family, while 64 percent say it has had no effect, and another 13 percent say it has helped.

But who are those 19 percent?

It turns out those telling Gallup the law has hurt them or their family are very disproportionately Republican and conservative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1087087 Feb 26, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery
We sometimes imagine that such oppressive laws were put quickly into full force by greedy landowners. But that's not the way slavery was established in colonial America. It happened gradually -- one person at a time, one law at a time, even one colony at a time.
All servants imported and brought into the Country... who were not Christians in their native Country... shall be accounted and be slaves. All Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves within this dominion... shall be held to be real estate. If any slave resists his master... correcting such slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction... the master shall be free of all punishment... as if such accident never happened.
- Virginia General Assembly declaration, 1705
One of the places we have the clearest views of that "terrible transformation" is the colony of Virginia. In the early years of the colony, many Africans and poor whites -- most of the laborers came from the English working class -- stood on the same ground. Black and white women worked side-by-side in the fields. Black and white men who broke their servant contract were equally punished.
• Arrival of first Africans to Virginia Colony
• Africans in court
Anthony Johnson was a free black man who owned property in Virginia
All were indentured servants. During their time as servants, they were fed and housed. Afterwards, they would be given what were known as "freedom dues," which usually included a piece of land and supplies, including a gun. Black-skinned or white-skinned, they became free.
Historically, the English only enslaved non-Christians, and not, in particular, Africans. And the status of slave (Europeans had African slaves prior to the colonization of the Americas) was not one that was life-long. A slave could become free by converting to Christianity. The first Virginia colonists did not even think of themselves as "white" or use that word to describe themselves. They saw themselves as Christians or Englishmen, or in terms of their social class. They were nobility, gentry, artisans, or servants.
So let me guess__Carol was your history teacher???
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1087088 Feb 26, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed......America should ban all foreign investment......

America for Americans only.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min jh4freedom 192,494
aggy-6-30-15 48 min Kuuipo 21
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr ritedownthemiddle 54,003
Amy 7-6-15 2 hr mrs gladys kravitz 3
Abby 7-6-15 2 hr mrs gladys kravitz 4
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ariel Sharon 70,151
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Doug77 6,151
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr nonattorney spoke... 99,922
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages