Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1550241 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1086930 Feb 26, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Even Fox News Isn't So Sure About Arizona's Homophobic Bill
Megyn Kelly, speaking to Brit Hume about Arizona's infamous SB 1062:
"I look at this bill and I wonder whether this is ... an overreaction [by religious] people who feel under attack on this score, and in the end, they may have struck back in a way that's deeply offensive to many and potentially dangerous to folks who are gay and lesbians and need medical services and other services being denied potentially."
Hume: "I think you're right."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/26/megy...
"Add Mitt Romney to the growing list of people opposed to the controversial anti-gay law in Arizona.

"The 2012 Republican presidential candidate urged Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer via Twitter to veto Senate Bill 1062, which would allow businesses with strongly held religious beliefs to deny service to gays and lesbians.

"Romney joins both U.S. senators from Arizona, John McCain and Jeff Flake, the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry and a host of business leaders to call on Brewer to strike down the law."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/free/2...

Probably because Republicans think for themselves and oppose laws that don't serve the best interests of the country or all of the people.

Just your side walks in lockstep and only says what they're told to say whether it's in the best interests of all of us or not and just to boost your own party's political aspirations.
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086931 Feb 26, 2014
It's just another urban myth, Blanck. Don't lose sight of the prize! It's what we've worked for all these years...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1086932 Feb 26, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be pretty comfortable with that play. LOL
when the verifiable facts fit....

you should try using verifiable fats sometime...shit, you should just post anything that is not about me sometime...

jeez, i smack you around a few times and you latch onto me like a ramora....
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1086933 Feb 26, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Army Removes 588 Troops From 'Positions Of Trust' After Sexual Assault Review
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/army-re...
neocon heads will explode.
is the Right on the right side of anything anymore?
Yes, the left is the champion of all great causes, like that War on Women the Richeral hypocrites keep talking about.

What does Hillary think when she takes up the cudgels of feminism against the reactionaries and their “war on women”? After all, the sort of sexual banditry of Bill Clinton once fit every feminist rubric of exploitation:

&#9679; Check Monica Lewinsky — the subordinate on the job, in a power disequilibrium, in which even consent to sexual play with her boss is considered inherently a form of exploitation. We are lectured by feminists that consenting sex between boss and employee, general and major, or professor and student is a form of coercion. Power imbalances, not mutually agreeable sex, is the key.

&#9679; Check Paula Jones — class is also another powerful tool that the wealthy and influential use to subordinate their poorer female victims for “consensual” sex that is hardly so — given the array of insidious machinations the exploiters use for gratification.

&#9679; Check Kathleen Willey — the single woman, bereft of husband, trying to fight the odds in a male-dominated world, is uniquely vulnerable to well-connected bosses, who habitually sniff out and exploit such exposure.

&#9679; Check Juanita Broaddrick — the businesswoman trying to compete in a male-dominated world, who finds her sex, not her skills, piques the interests of the very powerful.

In short, every feminist totem marks the career of a younger Bill Clinton. With the possible exception of Gennifer Flowers, most of Clinton’s dalliances were predicated on what feminists would call coercion of some sort, given the imbalance in power and the empty, hormone-driven nature of the conquest.

That Hillary and her enablers (do we remember James Carville:“Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you’ll find”?) engaged in classic “war against women” defamations is, I agree, ancient history.

But ancient history certainly becomes once more contemporary fact if Ms. Clinton runs a war against the “war on women” that not long ago tarred Mitt Romney as a sexist for woodenly looking through biographies to find suitable female appointees.(As an after-thought: Is Al Gore also a warrior in the war against the “war on women”? If so, how did he get himself into a similarly exploitive scenario with a masseuse that was Clintonian to the core?)

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1086934 Feb 26, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Even Fox News Isn't So Sure About Arizona's Homophobic Bill
Megyn Kelly, speaking to Brit Hume about Arizona's infamous SB 1062:
"I look at this bill and I wonder whether this is ... an overreaction [by religious] people who feel under attack on this score, and in the end, they may have struck back in a way that's deeply offensive to many and potentially dangerous to folks who are gay and lesbians and need medical services and other services being denied potentially."
Hume: "I think you're right."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/26/megy...
(Once again...just in case)

Add Mitt Romney to the growing list of people opposed to the controversial anti-gay law in Arizona.

The 2012 Republican presidential candidate urged Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer via Twitter to veto Senate Bill 1062, which would allow businesses with strongly held religious beliefs to deny service to gays and lesbians.

Romney joins both U.S. senators from Arizona, John McCain and Jeff Flake, the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry and a host of business leaders to call on Brewer to strike down the law.

That's because most Republicans think for themselves and oppose laws that aren't in the best interests of the country or all of the people.

Unlike most Democrats who walk in lockstep and say only what they're told to say whether it's in the best interests of all of us or not and to just boost your party's political aspirations.
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086935 Feb 26, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"uselessinceforever0000 "
I agree with the above, "to each their own". As to dining out, it depends where one is dining. No problem for me if a woman elects to wear blue jeans when dining at Fat Burger or when shopping. Jeans to me are less intrusive than seeing a woman young or old wearing a pair of shin tight slacks.
Again "to each their own".
Peace
You know, goy, there's an old Yiddesh saying... "If she's AT the table she should dress appropriately. If she's UNDER the table she can wear whatever she vants."
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086936 Feb 26, 2014
But, really, Bubby, how is it any of your concern WHAT she wears? In your case, just be glad she's even willing to be seen with you.
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086937 Feb 26, 2014
So, there's this nice little Jewish girl, Frieda Laflicter, rocketing down from the ninth floor at the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. Her dress has largely burned off and her hair is on fire and streaming out above her in glorious flames. Another girl, her cousin, Edna, is on her way down alongside her and she says, "Frieda! I think I like it when you wear it up like that...."
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086938 Feb 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text> a jew in salt lake city? yikes! hows that workin for ya?
Pretty god, pretty god...
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1086939 Feb 26, 2014
On almost every contemporary issue there is a populist, middle-class argument to be made against ELITE liberalism.

Never has the liberal agenda been so vulnerable, a logical development when BAD IDEAS HAVE HAD FIVE YEARS to prove themselves as very bad ideas.

When Obama is all done he will have taken high presidential popularity ratings, a supermajority in the Senate, and a large margin in the House and lost them all — if only the Republicans can make an adequate case that they represent the middle class, the Democrats only THE VERY WEALTHY (THE RICHERALS) AND THE VERY DEPENDENT.

Illegal Immigration

We know the entry of 11 million illegal aliens depresses the wages of the poor and entry-level working class. Illegal immigration overwhelms state services, and that too hurts citizens most in need of help.

The lower-middle classes do not have low-paid nannies, gardeners, and house-keepers.

We know the illegal influx pleases La Raza activists, most of them second- and third-generation elites in government, politics, journalism and education, who without illegal immigration would not have much of a moral or legal justification for the continuance of affirmative action and identity politics, given that statistically Latinos would soon follow the pattern of other assimilated groups.(For example, is there affirmative action for Armenian immigrants? An Italian Razza movement? Punjabi Studies?)

We also know that cheap labor in the shadows benefits corporate business, eager for low-wage laborers.

So how hard is it for a Republican simply to say,“I oppose illegal immigration because

(1) it is illegal. It undermines the sanctity of the law and discriminates against the law-abiding waiting in line to enter the U.S. legally.

(2) It benefits corporate grandees at the expense of working people.

(3) It is driven by self-serving elites of the ethnic-GRIEVANCE INDUSTRY to enhance their own advantage, rather than to help poor folks struggling to find decent wages and schools. Illegal immigration, in short, is the most illiberal issue of our time.
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086940 Feb 26, 2014
So, two Jewish girls are standing on fire in the window of the ninth floor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. As they burn, one of them leans over to the other and says, "If only I'd stayed in school..."
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#1086941 Feb 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>when the verifiable facts fit....
you should try using verifiable fats sometime...shit, you should just post anything that is not about me sometime...
jeez, i smack you around a few times and you latch onto me like a ramora....
I think that most in this forum would like to see you actually post a fact. Instead we are pelted with your unsubstantiated opinions which you in your delusional nature believe are facts. But then what can we expect from a marginally educated dimwit who designs flower beds.

Oh BTW, I prefer to use verifiable facts,... but at least now I understand your belief that your opinions are facts,... not surprising when "you" are using verifiable "fats" to back up your opinions.

Your arrogance would be much more tolerable if you were able to back it up with intellect.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1086942 Feb 26, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how sure are you the company offering and backing this warranty will be around when you need it?
"woodendick000"
Nothing is for sure. Companies fail and go out of business on a regular basis. Soon you hope to be in hog heaven, the boy president nobama, will make the health insurance business a single entity business, the federal government will be the the only insurer.
Peace
KMA
GPUAR
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086943 Feb 26, 2014
Two Jewish girls are aflame on the window sash outside the eighth floor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. A Ukrainian girl goes rocketing by them engulfed in flames and screaming. the one looks at the other disgustedly and says, "Such a drama queen!"
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1086944 Feb 26, 2014
What Republicans should say about ELITE LIBERALS

on Energy

Fracking and horizontal drilling help the middle class. Stopping them on federal lands or banning Keystone makes the lower classes pay for the pipe dreams of the upper class.

The Berkeley Sierra Club professor doesn’t worry whether he can find a job welding on a pipeline. He does not drive along the Westside 50 miles to work and so cares little about the price of gas for his third-hand pick-up. It is about 70 degrees year round in Menlo Park, so it is easy to jack power bills up to subsidize wind and solar, when you don’t need to survive 105 degree temperatures in Bakersfield.

(Like the Kennedys fighting windmills that would spoil THEIR view of the ocean) Discouraging energy development is a pastime of the rich, who have the money to shield themselves from the consequences of their advocacy, and do not associate with the less well-off, who always seem to suffer from elite pipe dreams.

Why not headquarter the Sierra Club in Bakersfield, where the cost of electricity is real for real people?

Cannot a Republican rebuttal to the State of the Union simply say,

“MR. PRESIDENT, YOU ARE SHAMELESSLY TAKING CREDIT FOR GAS AND OIL PRODUCTION THAT YOU DID ALL IN YOUR POWER TO THWART.

THE MIDDLE CLASS IS ENJOYING A TEMPORARY CUT IN GAS PRICES, DESPITE, NOT BECAUSE OF, YOU.”
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086945 Feb 26, 2014
Max Blanck and myself are talking next door while the Triangle Shirtwaist Company burns. I lean over and say to him, C'mon, Max, it's not the end of the world..."
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1086946 Feb 26, 2014
What Republicans should say about

Gun Control

How hard it is for Republicans to say to liberals,

“I accuse! The wealthy have their security details, most of them armed.

The underclass has access to illegal weaponry as the armed crime sprees in a Detroit or Chicago attest.

Why then go after the middle class, who neither outsource their security nor break the law?

Before we issue sweeping edicts aimed at the law-abiding, let us disarm all the security guards of Hollywood and Washington, D.C., and put away for good the criminals who use illegal firearms to hurt the innocent.”
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086947 Feb 26, 2014
Max leans back over to me dejectedly and he says, "Well, Isaac, I guess you're probably right. I should just look at it as the start of a new business cycle."

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1086948 Feb 26, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
(Once again...just in case)
Add Mitt Romney to the growing list of people opposed to the controversial anti-gay law in Arizona.
The 2012 Republican presidential candidate urged Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer via Twitter to veto Senate Bill 1062, which would allow businesses with strongly held religious beliefs to deny service to gays and lesbians.
Romney joins both U.S. senators from Arizona, John McCain and Jeff Flake, the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry and a host of business leaders to call on Brewer to strike down the law.
That's because most Republicans think for themselves and oppose laws that aren't in the best interests of the country or all of the people.
Unlike most Democrats who walk in lockstep and say only what they're told to say whether it's in the best interests of all of us or not and to just boost your party's political aspirations.
ummmmmmm......yeah......

i was republicans that pushed this law through to this point. there in AZ and in KS and now in GA...

don't let the facts get in the way of your ideology, dear....you never do.
Isaac Harris

Phoenix, AZ

#1086949 Feb 26, 2014
A Mother and her pregnant daughter are standing on the windowsill of the ninth floor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. As they are consumed by incinerating smoke and flame the mother says to her screaming daughter, "Well, wouldn't your father laugh to see us now!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 8 min SweLL GirL 10,868
Julieanne Zenz 1 hr Julieanne Zenz 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 241,699
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Gorebal Warming Inc 63,860
Why are White men obsessed with Latina women? (Feb '10) 14 hr patosm 213
last post wins! (Apr '13) 15 hr honeymylove 2,555
last post wins! (Dec '10) 15 hr honeymylove 3,184

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages